• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

56 y/o, traveling alone & so nervous

Time of past OR future Camino
September 14, 2024
Hi all. I have been pulled to walk the Camino for over a decade. I didn’t think it was possible because 40+ days away from my family/work isn’t feasible. Then I found out people do walk sections of it, so I’m walking from Sarria starting 9/14/2024. I randomly picked Sarria because it will take about a week, and I want to walk the Camino Frances.

I’m 56 years old, from Boise, Idaho, & traveling alone. I’ve never been to Europe, don’t speak Spanish, and I will spend 2 days in Madrid before taking the train to Sarria. I need to do this for me. I’ve been planning this since last year, and I’m so nervous because it’s all getting so real. Honestly, I could use a little encouragement/reassurance.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hello!

No need to be nervous or afraid!
You travel through Europe, not the southeast-asian rainforest on your own!
Most Spaniards do speak decent english, but a few simple phrases in Spanish will do you a great favour!

Especially after Sarria there are a lot of groups around, you will not be alone. If you are feeling uncertain, talk to the fellow pilgrim next to you.

Do you stay in Albergues or in Hotels?
Don't rush, take your time, especially on your first days.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Michele - a couple of years ago (2022) I walked a Camino with my granddaughter. We met up with a German pilgrim, a woman walking alone, who also spoke no Spanish, and we spent a few hours together as my granddaughter and she got along well. In the course of our conversations we each made the observation that on our April Camino the women appeared to outnumber men by a ratio of 2 to 1, and many were walking alone. It might not be quite so comparable to your planned walk, but take heart, your soul sisters are out there. You have done your planning, now it's time to fulfil your dream.

Hi, I am 56 and completed the Camino Frances ‘alone’. I wasn’t at all sure what to expect, but it really was a wonderful experience. I actually found that I was never ‘alone’ unless I chose to be (or was walking too fast!) - and something that I loved was that I never knew where people were from, or what they ‘did’ or what language they spoke, but there was the commonality of walking the Camino. There were lots of people, men and women, walking alone, but the sense of being lonely didn’t arise. As above, a few words of courtesy and politeness in Spanish go a long way - and there is the magic of Google translate! Good luck and Buen Camino!

From your post, I sense less "afraid/nervous" and more "excited." As well you should be!
You are heading for an amazing adventure of a lifetime, one it sounds like you have been preparing for. Of course you should be excited!!
I've done the Camino 3 times now and I still envy those like you who are preparing for their first Camino, because of that adrenaline rush of the unknown that first time.
I was much older than you and out of shape. I walked from SJPdP to Santiago solo in one magnificent journey. I didn't think I could do it but returned in better shape than when I left. I came back a changed person (at least, that's what my husband tells me).
Use common sense, be open for new experiences, don't be afraid.
Keep us posted and Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
From your post, I sense less "afraid/nervous" and more "excited." As well you should be!
You are heading for an amazing adventure of a lifetime, one it sounds like you have been preparing for. Of course you should be excited!!
I've done the Camino 3 times now and I still envy those like you who are preparing for their first Camino, because of that adrenaline rush of the unknown that first time.
I was much older than you and out of shape. I walked from SJPdP to Santiago solo in one magnificent journey. I didn't think I could do it but returned in better shape than when I left. I came back a changed person (at least, that's what my husband tells me).
Thank you and you’re right! I’m so excited. I’m not in the best of shape and I’m carting some extra weight but I can walk and be in my feet for a long time. One of the gifts of aging is my ego around fitness has dropped a lot. I respect my limits. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Hello Michele56! I walked my first Camino last spring at the age of 64. I walked alone, I walked over 1000 km, and enjoyed every minute! I learned maybe 5 words of Spanish, used Google translate when I had convey information to someone who did not speak English. I walked the Norte/Primitivo/Fisterre/Muxia, so the first 4.5 weeks were much less populated than the Frances, but I enjoyed the solitude and also made amazing friends. Of course you're excited and you don't know quite what to expect. I used Buen Camino app to make sure I didn't get lost and Google Maps to find my hotels in towns where I found it harder to stay en route - I suspect the Frances is easier to follow and there will be more pilgrims en route, so you can ask them, I can't imagine a situation where you would ask someone for help and they wouldn't do it, even if their English is limited. I paid for the AT&T international service, I think it was something like $10/day (with a max payment of $100 per billing cycle, or something like that). I felt the extra expense was worth it to give the comfort I needed, and I did take a few wrong turns, but was able to find my way back with the Buen Camino app. You can also get a battery pack if you're worried your phone will run out of juice before you reach your destination - on super long days, I was glad to have the extra battery as my phone started to run low, especially on the days where I had taken a wrong turn and used extra power to find my way back. Buen Camino!

You’ll be fine. It’s a friendly part of the world with everything you have at home, often of a higher standard and cheaper - albeit in Spanish.

English is widely spoken on the Camino Frances, and nobody expects you to know what you’re doing. If you don’t understand something it’s probable that you’re over-thinking it. Literally millions have gone before you.

It would be really appreciated if you would post about your experience once you have arrived in Santiago - which you will.

Even the jaded old cynics like me (at 56 you’re in the youth team on here) learn from ‘first timer’s’ experiences.

Don’t over-pack. You need little more than a change of clothes, toothbrush and credit card. It’s only a week - wear the same clothes and have dinner with different people.

And - whereabouts in Madrid are you staying? We can help you out with some highly disreputable places to visit.

If you’re travelling from Madrid by train be sure you’re going to the correct station.

Last edited:
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Hi all. I have been pulled to walk the Camino for over a decade. I didn’t think it was possible because 40+ days away from my family/work isn’t feasible. Then I found out people do walk sections of it, so I’m walking from Sarria starting 9/14/2024. I randomly picked Sarria because it will take about a week, and I want to walk the Camino Frances.

I’m 56 years old, from Boise, Idaho, & traveling alone. I’ve never been to Europe, don’t speak Spanish, and I will spend 2 days in Madrid before taking the train to Sarria. I need to do this for me. I’ve been planning this since last year, and I’m so nervous because it’s all getting so real. Honestly, I could use a little encouragement/reassurance.
You can do it! How cool that you feel pulled to do it and now you are almost embarking on this long awaited journey. There are so many services after Sarria that you will find everything you need available to you. Have fun and enjoy the journey.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Michelle,
You will love it! And do trust that things will go right when you need them to as they always seem somehow. I did my first camino last year to Burgos, alone. Age 62. I like your phrase ‘pulled to do the camino” -me too. I put it off for years!

I skipped the bit over the pyrenees, because I was too scared on my own, and arrived at my first albergue/hostal to have dinner in the restaurant alone. I was immediately asked by two US guys to join them at their table if I wanted to. So friendly and full of advice and joy about it all as they’d been doing the camino just about every year since retirement. I met loads of people, yet enjoyed walking ‘alone’ knowing I had people near me or someone to share dinner with later in the day if I wished.

And it’s true as someone else says on here, there were loads of women doing their WAY, alone.
I’m doing Burgos to Astorga this Sept and nervous all over again, but excited too!
You’ve made the first biggest step in booking it. Enjoy!
Cate xx

So wonderful to see so many instant voices of encouragement! If that is not a poignant insight into what the Camino is all about then I don't know what is!
I would imagine that this massively supportive reaction would be enough to ensure you that you will indeed "be fine" @Michele56 ! Buen Camino! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When you arrive in Madrid, you will soon relax, rest and enjoy the city a bit.
There is a lot of infrastructure between Sarria and SdC. There are many small bars or cafes, as well as albergues and other accommodations that will help you if you need assistance. Put the tel number 112 in your phone for “emergency services.”

There will be many pilgrims walking and you will find most of them helpful.
Go at your own pace, however.

If you have any specific questions about the route, accommodations, transport, etc., please post them.

We are all cheering for you! Buen Camino!

I so sympathize! I'm 70 and planning a walk next spring, from SJPP over the mountains to Pamplona- alone. thanks for your question as I too am nervous about being a solo traveller yet so want to do this. Thanks to others for their encouragement!

How long did your journey from SJPdP to Santiago take?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked at 54 (2014) on my first Camino, my wife could not get off work. I was never alone, as you will meet others. Next spring my wife & I will return to do the Francis from St John Pied De Port. We live in Missoula. Madrid is a busy city but you will do fine. The younger folks almost always speak English.

Buen Camino

As a 60 year old woman I walked Sarria to Santiago on my own in May. I was anxious and nervous as you are now, but from day one my nervousness and anxiety abated. The trail is extremely well marked, people are incredibly friendly, and I learned a few Spanish words so ai could greet others and let folks know that I indeed, do not speak Spanish, and everyone spoke Enhlish. On the rare occasion where someone did not speak much English, Google Translate worked great.

Tips: make sure your shoes are a full size bigger than normal to avoid blisters. Use walking poles. Have fun!

Hi Michelle, you'll be fine and you'll have the time of your life. The Camino Community is wonderful and Spain very user-friendly even if you speak no Spanish, although as others have said, a couple of basic phrases would be handy. Embrace the unknown and relish every minute. Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You got this! I did it alone last year, and there are plenty of people around. Take your time and enjoy the beautiful scenery!

I used Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim apps and found them both useful.

Also, take the *right* path to Portomarín. The left side is for professional athletes and other crazy people! 🤣

Buen Camino!

I walked my first Camino Frances last year solo from SJPP at 65 years old. I also landed in Madrid. I don't speak Spanish either and was also fairly nervous. I had planned this trip for 4 years. The first day you start walking and say Buen Camino to a few other Pilgrims and start talking to some of them you will start to feel at home on the Camino. Next thing you know you will be planning another Camino.

You will have no problems. In 2022, I walked the entire Camino Frances at 71 yrs of age and alone, carrying my backpack along the way. Especially if you start in Sarria, not a problem you will have lots of people who start their camino from there. Buen Camino 🙋‍♀️

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Your nervousness will make this Camino all the more engaging and memorable. And it is time you did the whole shebang by yourself--there times one needs to spend a significant time with their own self as opposed to spending time with 'others.' As you said, do this for yourself and no one else except the one upstairs. This will constitute a most memorable and meaningful experience. Makes no difference if you've never been to Europe; Spanish is not needed. All you need is yourself, the one upstairs, and the Camino you are doing. A perfect recipe for a superb outcome. Let us know when you have done the 'whole' Camino. Our spirits are with you. Chuck

I forgot to mention that I never experienced a moment of unease, and was delighted to meet all sorts of wonderful, helpful people, both pilgrims and those who work in hostels and restaurants along the way. Because I have a walking issue, I usually walked for four hours to the village where I wanted to spend the night. As I got there so early, I had my pick of lower bunks.

Jim Brierly’s book is a treasure!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Michele56! I get your nervousness. I'm a bit older than you, and I'm flying into Madrid on 9/14 solo, too, then will head to the town of Segovia the next day (to do some research) before taking the train to Pamplona where I start walking on the 18th. To be honest, I'm more nervous about getting around Madrid, figuring out the trains, etc. Can't wait to plant my feet ON the Camino! I'm sure we'll be A-Okay! Let's do this!

Hi, Michele56! I get your nervousness. I'm a bit older than you, and I'm flying into Madrid on 9/14 solo, too, then will head to the town of Segovia the next day (to do some research) before taking the train to Pamplona where I start walking on the 18th. To be honest, I'm more nervous about getting around Madrid, figuring out the trains, etc. Can't wait to plant my feet ON the Camino! I'm sure we'll be A-Okay! Let's do this!
You will also be fine. Madrid, trains and the Camino are all pilgrim friendly and when in doubt, ask questions. I like your positive attitude. Buen Camino 🙋‍♀️

Better to live your life - than dream your life. Congratulations you’ll never be the same.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So wonderful to see so many instant voices of encouragement! If that is not a poignant insight into what the Camino is all about then I don't know what is!
I would imagine that this massively supportive reaction would be enough to ensure you that you will indeed "be fine" @Michele56 ! Buen Camino! :)
Absolutely! My heart is full!

I want to thank you all for your thoughtful & encouraging words. This warms my heart. ❤️

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I believe you will be able to do this! I am 70 and doing the Portuguese route solo in early September! You’ve got this!

Michele, on the way no one is alone. Step out and your way will only be as simple as each step you take . Buen Camino

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Aged 60 for my first, and 80 for the latest. Practicing Spanish phrases along the way and helped out by any Spanish person that I encountered. Please post as to how it has been for you. You will return changed, with a full heart, maybe tired feet, but much fitter than when you started. I could not work out at first why my pants were slipping down my hips - the hips were smaller in Muxia than in SJPDP. Many good wishes.

I walked many times to Santiago, usually alone, but 20 years ago, very long distances and always staying in albergues. This year, age 59, I walked again. This time from Sarria, and was very nervous as I knew the Way had changed much in 20 years and so have I. I spent the first 2 nights in private rooms, but met other pilgrims and became brave enough to stay in albergues again, then didn’t look back. Walking solo is not walking alone; I trust you will have a rich and rewarding experience. Be not afraid! Buen Camino.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.

Hi Michelle, I love your honesty that tells me you are gonna be fine. Here's the thing the vast majority of people on the Camino are really good 😊 people and will look out for you. I'm 56 tomorrow and begin my second Camino on 6th September traveling alone. I'm a little nervous also but always remember the love and friendship I experienced on my first Camino.So get out there and lap it up you are gonna have a blast. Sending you the best Vibes Mel

i was 64 alone very very lapsed catholic i walked the camino frances in july 2024 i learnt buenos dias quanto es how much, and only ever walked for a few hours on a sunday went with the attitude its a journey between two points, how i get there is completely my choice, fantastic, didnt really socialise because i didnt want to snore, although did have a day off and definitely enjoyed its brilliant, just go

Hi Michelle, I love your honesty that tells me you are gonna be fine. Here's the thing the vast majority of people on the Camino are really good 😊 people and will look out for you. I'm 56 tomorrow and begin my second Camino on 6th September traveling alone. I'm a little nervous also but always remember the love and friendship I experienced on my first Camino.So get out there and lap it up you are gonna have a blast. Sending you the best Vibes Mel
Happy Birthday!!! 🎉 Sending you good vibes right back!! Buen Camino

beginning my first camino some time between 4th and 8th september depending on weather and time to travel through france with my husband. Going it alone from Sarria, like you am nervous, my spanish is limited to ordering coffee or a beer!!! I am 64 years old, have lots to encouragement from neighbours back home most of whom wish to walked the camino but are in their 80's so I appear to be carrying their regrets for never having done it.
I am from south coast England and travelling through france in a motorhome with my husband who will say good by to me in Sarria and I will next see him in Santiago. He walked his camino 30 years ago. We both will have done it for our own reasons, neither religious one. Take care see you on the walk x Buen Camino

I’ll start my portoguese Camino next 17 september….im so happy!!!

beginning my first camino some time between 4th and 8th september depending on weather and time to travel through france with my husband. Going it alone from Sarria, like you am nervous, my spanish is limited to ordering coffee or a beer!!! I am 64 years old, have lots to encouragement from neighbours back home most of whom wish to walked the camino but are in their 80's so I appear to be carrying their regrets for never having done it.
I am from south coast England and travelling through france in a motorhome with my husband who will say good by to me in Sarria and I will next see him in Santiago. He walked his camino 30 years ago. We both will have done it for our own reasons, neither religious one. Take care see you on the walk x Buen Camino
Buen Camino, Peregrina 🙋‍♀️

Michelle,
I have walked two complete caminos alone: The Frances in 2022 @71 yrs of age and the Portugues this past April @73 yrs, if I can do it, you certainly can. As others have said, you will learn what you are made of, come out of this richer for the experience and will have a blast along the way enjoying wonderful food, wines and/or other beverages and meeting some wonderful people from all over the world. Have fun dear lady, embrace the Spirit of Saint James and Buen Camino 🙋‍♀️

Good day Michele,

I walked the Camino Frances last year and the Camino Portuguese this year - both alone and at 55/56. I had the best time and overcame so many fears and anxiety. I did not read through all the previous messages, but there is also a Facebook group called Camigas which is for women walking the Camino. They have a spreadsheet which you can review to see if any other pilgrim is starting from Sarria on the same date you are. It is a good resource! Buen Camino!!

I am a 76?yr old single woman who has done all and parts of the Camino 5 times. It is an adventure you will treasure forever. We r all afraid until we see a smile or smile ourselves. There is so much love out on the trail you will be gobsmacked!

I’m older than you and lately I’ve had to travel solo, including doing the camino, different ones, three times solo, in France and in Spain.
Firstly: it’s perfectly natural to get nervous. I still get nervous, but it usually vanished on day one and two.
Secondly: there will be other pilgrims, and we really are a friendly bunch. You’ll be solo only if you choose to be.
Thirdly: I don’t speak a word of Spanish. I’ve never had a problem. Plenty of Spaniards speak English and if you smile and ask for help you’ll not be let down.
Relax. Relax. You’ll be fine. Thousands of people like you do the camino. You’ll be in good company.

I am doing the exact same thing in May 2025- I am curious about the train from Madrid to Sarria. I really want to see Cruz De Farro before, but can walk that distance due to time-
You got this! Please share your journey!

66 years old, from Edmonton, Alberta, and walking alone. My French is barely serviceable, my Spanish is laughable, and I haven't been away from my wife's company whilst traveling for over 3 decades. I've been training (inadequately) for the last six months, and my pack's too heavy, even though I've been ruthless in paring it down and have examined every item, one-by-one, on a spreadsheet I've built to try to minimize weight. I'm also too heavy, by about ten pounds in my estimation.

I'm doing it anyways. You can too. By the time I get to Burgos from SJPdP, your Camino will have ended, and I'll take satisfaction in reading about how you completed it.

Buen Camino!

You’ll be fine. It’s a friendly part of the world with everything you have at home, often of a higher standard and cheaper - albeit in Spanish.

English is widely spoken on the Camino Frances, and nobody expects you to know what you’re doing. If you don’t understand something it’s probable that you’re over-thinking it. Literally millions have gone before you.

It would be really appreciated if you would post about your experience once you have arrived in Santiago - which you will.

Even the jaded old cynics like me (at 56 you’re in the youth team on here) learn from ‘first timer’s’ experiences.

Don’t over-pack. You need little more than a change of clothes, toothbrush and credit card. It’s only a week - wear the same clothes and have dinner with different people.

And - whereabouts in Madrid are you staying? We can help you out with some highly disreputable places to visit.

If you’re travelling from Madrid by train be sure you’re going to the correct station.
Henrythedog, please share those highly disreputable places in Madrid with the rest of us! Don't be so greedy - I'm thirsty!!

I’m 65, alone and severely disabled … I’ll be on the Camino this Winter quarter to avoid all the Camino scalp hunters bemoaning the use of e-Bikes (in my case an e-Trike limited to 250W) on a shared trail. So have courage … you are not alone.

Hi Michele!! First of all, congratulations on walking your first Camino. You’re so brave and it’s going to be such an experience for you. I can’t say what exactly your experience will be because we’re all different, but I find that walking it alone opens the door to such spiritual transformation in my personal experience. I walked the Primitivo alone and I’m walking the Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago to Compostela alone in less than a week! As many have said, you’ll see other pilgrims along the way, some areas more than others and you can chat with them if you like. What I found great was I could also not chat when I wanted my solitude and fellow pilgrims respected that. It’s a really unique pilgrimage where I can interact as much or as little as I feel, moment to moment. You won’t be alone. I hope this helps, as have the other comments! Have an amazing journey! Let us know how it is when you’re back!

Hi Michele! Great to hear that you're giving solo travel a try. It will be a different experience for sure. I'm 30, female and currently walking the Camino solo. I'm from Singapore and have 0 Spanish. I use Google translate liberally. There's even this great feature where you can take photos of text and it gets translated into whatever language you want. This is very useful for menus. I'm writing this from my bunk in San Juan de Ortega.

Since travelling solo is a new experience for you, it would be good to take things slowly. Be 100% sure you're going the right way (ask other people and check your apps) before going anywhere or getting on a train/bus. Make this trip about what you want to do, not what other people want you to do. Be cautious when other people randomly engage you in conversations. They might be friendly or they might be trying to sell you something/ bring you somewhere unsafe. Don't be afraid to say no thanks and literally just walk off. It's okay. You'll never see them again.

The Camino itself is a mostly obvious route. You can choose to talk to people or just spend the whole way in silence. No one minds.

Good luck!

I’m 63 and did the Via de la Plata this year. No problem with the language and it’s great if you make the effort as people are really friendly.

You can do it! Im in my 60s, I left 2 years ago never been to Spain by myself couldn't speak the languages- was able to do the whole Camino from St. Jean . Did the Portuguese last year, and am on the Frances again now. . No problem at all. Most people speak English and help you. If you need it, just ask questions and look up the apps before you go- get acquainted with Omio for railway and buses, you can pre buy your tickets. Camino ninja and Gronze apps- You will never get lost. Just learn how to use them. And you will make great friends who will help you. It is just wonderful you will see, don't worry!

I leave Canada next Saturday (7th Sept) to start at SJPDP - walking 2 weeks then going by train to Barcelona for 5-6 days to rest and take in the culture. I completed Camino Frances on my own in 2019 - Sept., am a 65 year old woman, I am venturing out on my own again. Lots has happened in the world and in my life since the pandemic and I just need to separate myself from everything, walk, meet like minded folks, and feel the strength and power of the earth beneath my feet. Be strong, you will meet many on your path as Sarina to SDC in September is busy and joyful! Buen Camino my friend 🙋🏻‍♀️🎒🇨🇦

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
I’m 65, alone and severely disabled … I’ll be on the Camino this Winter quarter to avoid all the Camino scalp hunters bemoaning the use of e-Bikes (in my case an e-Trike limited to 250W) on a shared trail. So have courage … you are not alone.
I am 80 and in a similar position to you where I was considering "walking" some trails (most probably UK National Trails but maybe Camino?) using an e-Trike, but the pig parts of my heart seem to be reaching their use-by-date and my doctors have told me not to make the 40 hour flight from Australia any more. In your case you are simply a train trip away from a Camino of your choosing.

So I have gone from digital nomad at age 75 to digital hermit by 2023 and spend my time making virtual tours of trails which includes a number of Caminos. An added advantage is others in a similar position can use these to "walk" their own trail/Camino.

But I share your comments about the bemoaning scalp hunters

Hi Michele!! First of all, congratulations on walking your first Camino. You’re so brave and it’s going to be such an experience for you. I can’t say what exactly your experience will be because we’re all different, but I find that walking it alone opens the door to such spiritual transformation in my personal experience. I walked the Primitivo alone and I’m walking the Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago to Compostela alone in less than a week! As many have said, you’ll see other pilgrims along the way, some areas more than others and you can chat with them if you like. What I found great was I could also not chat when I wanted my solitude and fellow pilgrims respected that. It’s a really unique pilgrimage where I can interact as much or as little as I feel, moment to moment. You won’t be alone. I hope this helps, as have the other comments! Have an amazing journey! Let us know how it is when you’re back!
Thank you for the encouragement! I have zero expectations (which is unusual for me). I admit, I am looking forward to some solitude.

I’m not sure if you seen the movie “I’ll Push You” (based on the book). It’s a beautiful true story about 2 friends, one is in a wheelchair, on the Camino. It is a big part of what inspired me. Buen Camino! Keep us updated.

Michelle - you're going to absolutely smash it. All those fears and doubts are just a reflection of how much you care and how much it means to you to walk the Camino.

You're going to meet unbelievable kind and open people who will only want to welcome and help you where they can - that includes the Spanish and other peregrinos.

What I've found helpful on my walk, I'm currently about 9 days from Santiago after walking from Cherbourg, is that you don't have to do the whole walk in a day or on one go. You do it by putting one foot in front of the other, one step at a time - I find that helps me to make it more manageable in my own head.

I'm so excited for the experience you're going to have and please update us here. I will be working in an Albergue near enough to Santiago at around the time you'll finish - if you need any support you can feel free to message me through this forum.

Buen Camino

Hi Michele, my wife and I just return from a trip to Spain and Portugal. We didn’t walk the Camino, but in years past I have cycled extensively in the area, often sharing parts of routes with Pilgrims. I know zero Spanish, and have never had a problem. People there are sooo friendly and accommodating I don’t think you will have any issues at all. It is a beautiful, peaceful area and I am sure you will love it. Jeff from Canada.

I agree that a few key Spanish phrases make a world of difference! However, I would not say that most Spaniards speak decent English, if at all. I’ve lived in various parts of Spain over the last three years and have done the Camino Frances three times now. Sure, the common language along the Camino Frances—among the pilgrims—is mostly English. But I wouldn’t say that most Spaniards speak English.

What I have seen is that many Spaniards will go out of their way to help you as best they can— Whether or not they know English.

If you need help and need a bilingual English/Spanish person, go to the tourism office. I haven’t been in a tourism office yet here where the person working does not know English.

The other good place to go for help from someone who speaks English is the local, Donativo albergue. There are many people who volunteer at those Albergues from various English speaking countries. Not a guarantee, of course.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

You will be fine. There is something so liberating about travelling solo. You will meet people, share meals, count blisters ( just kidding) and have a wonderful time. Buen Camino.

Hey Michelle - I hear you 🙂 I'm setting off for my first Camino on my 61st birthday in October - also from Sarria to Santiago; it's a trial run to see how I manage before considering doing the whole walk. I gravitate between incredible excitement and incredible terror. Also female, also alone.... I've booked accommodation on arrival at Santiago and Sarria but have decided to not book accommodation in between... My children are worried about this but I fear it will take away the absolute freedom I am so looking forward to. I'm a pragmatist and take the view that if it is too much I can just hop on a bus and spend extra time in Santiago 😁 how bad can it actually be? Millions of people can't all be wrong..

Hey Michelle - I hear you 🙂 I'm setting off for my first Camino on my 61st birthday in October - also from Sarria to Santiago; it's a trial run to see how I manage before considering doing the whole walk. I gravitate between incredible excitement and incredible terror. Also female, also alone.... I've booked accommodation on arrival at Santiago and Sarria but have decided to not book accommodation in between... My children are worried about this but I fear it will take away the absolute freedom I am so looking forward to. I'm a pragmatist and take the view that if it is too much I can just hop on a bus and spend extra time in Santiago 😁 how bad can it actually be? Millions of people can't all be wrong..
Hi Michelle
The main part of the Camino is very different than starting in Sarria. You will probably meet more pilgrims in the final 100km than the rest of the Camino during October. There is an excitement that first morning leaving SJPDP along with probably 20/30 other pilgrims starting off. The first day is long and can be a bit challenging so don’t carry too much weight in fact as a first time send your rucksack on to ronsevalles but it’s your choice.
From sarria it’s busy can be a bit noisy but October hopefully it should quieten down a bit and given the month you won’t hat any problems finding beds. Good luck pilgrim. Keith

66 years old, from Edmonton, Alberta, and walking alone. My French is barely serviceable, my Spanish is laughable, and I haven't been away from my wife's company whilst traveling for over 3 decades. I've been training (inadequately) for the last six months, and my pack's too heavy, even though I've been ruthless in paring it down and have examined every item, one-by-one, on a spreadsheet I've built to try to minimize weight. I'm also too heavy, by about ten pounds in my estimation.

I'm doing it anyways. You can too. By the time I get to Burgos from SJPdP, your Camino will have ended, and I'll take satisfaction in reading about how you completed it.

Buen Camino!
Buen Camino fellow Albertan and future Peregrino 🙋‍♀️
I have an apprentice tackling the Pyrennes as we speak and she's facing torrential rains and thunderstorms, tomorrow she's making the grand assault on Roncesvalles. Let's pray she makes it safely. If she can do it, you certainly can do the Sarria to Santiago.

Buen Camino fellow Albertan and future Peregrino 🙋‍♀️
I have an apprentice tackling the Pyrennes as we speak and she's facing torrential rains and thunderstorms, tomorrow she's making the grand assault on Roncesvalles. Let's pray she makes it safely. If she can do it, you certainly can do the Sarria to Santiago.
She is in my prayers.

Michele. The Camino does provide. Companionship for me was probably the most important on my last year's debut. You will embrace your odyssey after taking your first tentative steps, enjoying each moment as they magically turn into hours, then days.
Go with the flow!
Go well!😎🇳🇿🇪🇸

Packing and re-packing and the closer my departure date of Sept. 7 gets, the more nervous I become. have walked CF entirely already but this 2 weeks will be less regimented, more relaxed. Thank you Kiwi John for your words of encouragement reminding all of us that the Camino does provide!
Nancy Lee 🇨🇦

Michele, especially if you’re walking the Camino français, you will meet a number of people like yourself. And you will form a “Camino Family” . Some will become lifelong friends. Don’t worry just ask God to keep your spirit aware, open, listening and alive.

If you have not done it yet, see the movie The Way starring Martin Sheen to witness this dynamic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Michele, especially if you’re walking the Camino français, you will meet a number of people like yourself. And you will form a “Camino Family” . Some will become lifelong friends. Don’t worry just ask God to keep your spirit aware, open, listening and alive.

If you have not done it yet, see the movie The Way starring Martin Sheen to witness this dynamic.
Just be aware that pilgrims are usually much nicer to each other than the pilgrims in "The Way" tend to be, even before real pilgrims form a "family" (if they do). The meanness of the pilgrims to each other in Sheen's movie was the most unrealistic part for me, even more than the lack of blisters.

Most read last week in this forum

A question for couples of different sexes: do you sleep separately in the albergues? Do you pay more, and/or is it more complicated to book, to sleep in the same dorm (in separate bunk beds, of...
This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Hola, todos. When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue. Now I'm looking to return to finish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back