• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to SJPDP

falconbrother

Time of past OR future Camino
June - July 2024
I was looking at Alsa bus tickets to get from Pamplona to SJPDP. We plan to take 1 carry on bag to send from SJPDP to Ivar. The bus ticket mentions size restrictions for an extra bag, etc.. What are my options to get to SJPDP? Taxi? Car rental? Bus? Train??

The extra bag size mentioned sounds like it must meet the carry on size limit, 60x40x40cm.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have not seen them measure bags on the bus (or train). They just go under the bus. They dont give you a baggage claim ticket, you just put it under the bus yourself and get it out when you arrive. Do you have time to send from Madrid or Pamplona or have it picked up at your hotel DHL for delivery to @ivar? It is one less thing to keep track of.

The only thing I remember is the driver would only let you take a small bag, like a day pack, INTO the bus. Larger items had to go into the hold, which is HUGE. You will definitely NOT have anything refused transport.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Food for thought, depending on your luggage's weight/bulk, and your accommodation's location in SJPdP, the bus from Pamplona stops about 4-6 blocks away from the citadel. Last year I had a hell time dragging my luggage from the bus stop to my accommodation near the Pilgrims Office at the Rue de Citadelle. If I knew beforehand, I would have taken a taxi which takes you much closer.

Can you not send the bag from Pamplona?
I thought about that but, the reason we’re taking the carry on bag is to give us flexibility in the start and at the end. Walking poles and a Swiss Army knife with corkscrew will be in the check bag. Along with a clean change of clothes for when we get to Santiago. Seems best to bring it to SJPDP and ship to Ivar from there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We plan to take 1 carry on bag to send from SJPDP to Ivar

Ivar's service is great, and I have used it, but it's best when you are mailing from within Spain. In SJPdP I recommend using the service of Express Bourricot. They make it super easy, and there's no worries about cross border mail service.

Ivar's service is great, and I have used it, but it's best when you are mailing from within Spain. In SJPdP I recommend using the service of Express Bourricot. They make it super easy, and there's no worries about cross border mail service.

My kids and I used Express Bourricot from SJPdP to SDC between end of Sep to middle of Nov 2022, and worked great and no additional fee for all that number of days. The Express Bourricot office in SJPdP is right next door to the Pilgrims Office. The only thing was, when we got our luggage back, my son's raggedy old leather shoes were moldy / musty. Otherwise, all worked well. So, maybe put something inside your luggage to prevent similar from happening. Ultreia.

I thought about that but, the reason we’re taking the carry on bag is to give us flexibility in the start and at the end. Walking poles and a Swiss Army knife with corkscrew will be in the check bag. Along with a clean change of clothes for when we get to Santiago. Seems best to bring it to SJPDP and ship to Ivar from there.
If those are the only reasons to bring the bag in the first place, my first suggestion would be to forget about the bag altogether, as it seems like it might not be worth the hassle. Buy a knife and poles in Pamplona/SJPDP and don’t worry about fresh clothes for Santiago — most pilgrims won’t have them.

Or if you really want to bring the bag and assuming you have time in Pamplona, I still don’t see why that’s not the better choice. Switch the knife and poles to your backpack once you pick up the checked bag, and then send the clothes ahead. As mentioned above, it’s easier to do this from Spain than France.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back