• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dad and son

Equalisist

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (2016)
Hi all,
My name is Noel and my son is Nico, we are 43 and 9 respectively and looking at walking the Camino Frances in the coming months. Any advice would be more than welcome, especially in regards to camping enabling us to reduce costs as I assume that my son would still need to pay for staying in albergues.
Thanks
Noel

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Noel,
I have walked with eight children, and apart form one albergue in Cee, all have required children to pay the same fee as adults. That said, municipal albergues are very inexpensive. We would aim for a location each day with a cheap accommodation option. Having a look at www.gronze.com will help with that.
Enjoy your walk!

Welcome Noel, bringing a tent is not worth the weight and effort of carrying it IMO. My brother and I brought tents for our first Camino but posted them home from St Jean after talking to some people and considering the weather at the time. As Kiwi-family said, albergues are inexpensive plus you have the camaraderie of your fellow pilgrims in the albergues.
Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Noel,

As commented above, the extra weight of camping gear is not worth it. Last year I spent 7 weeks on the Camino and stayed mostly in Municipal and Parrochial Albergues. The average cost for a bed was 8 euros per night. If you wish to camp there are limited opportunities for place to pitch a tent, and you have no facilities such as showers unless you pitch at an Albergue for which you would need to pay anyway.

Buen Camino,

Mike

The first time we walked, our son was 8 1/2. He's 19 now. I've been sharing stuff about it here, but as we're off again tomorrow morning, I don't have time to search and link. Just look at my earliest posts...

(I'm sure you'll have a great time!)

Apart from the weight issue it is worth asking yourself where you hope to camp each night. There are very few official campsites and wild camping is technically illegal in many parts of Spain. You may be able to get permission to pitch your tent from landowners along the way. If you wild-camp without permission you risk confrontations with the land owner or local police. Not something I'd risk myself with a child.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

On the Camino Del Norte. Surprised by the amount of pilgrims. Many mature pilgrims, like myself with a few Caminos under their belt, mostly appear to be staying in hotels. If staying in hotels be...
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...
For those of you who are using the ATM colour chart. One bank is suggested at less than 2 Euro when in fact was 4.50 Euro per withdrawal
Hello Pilgrims, I am Brendan an Australian Scot. I am new to the forum, but not new to the Camino. On Tuesday May 28 I will start on my seventh Camino the Norte from San Sebastián. I will try and...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
Oh oh oh, After more then seven and a half weeks of rain in Belgium and France, last week weather is better, I walked into Irun today! 🙏 Feels like the last nine weeks my life was in a fridge but...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.