• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Your Train L54 of 15/09 to SAINT-JEAN-PIED-DE-PORT is Cancelled

Shamoose

Time of past OR future Camino
Autumn 2024
So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I have contacted a local transport company and they can take me for $65. This seems a little steep.
Is there anyone else out there in the same predicament as me that will arrive in Bayonne tomorrow at around 14:00 and would like to share i lift?
I see from Google that there is a bus at 14:20. Can anyone confirm that this will run, and maybe know an apprroximate price.
I also paid an extra couple of $'s to have this journey insured at the time I bought the ticket with SNCF. The insurance is with Allianz but I have no idea how I would make a claim. Any help would be appreciated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Often when the train from Bayonne to SJPdP is cancelled a replacement bus is provided at the station for no extra cost. If you are arriving to Bayonne by train ask when you are on that train. If you are arriving in Bayonne by other means ask at the station about a free bus.

Bayonne rr station is small and easily navigable; the staff are helpful and serve multitudes of tourists and pilgrims each year.

Show your ticket to any station employee for help. If all seems impossible go to the station master's office/ bureau du chef de gare, for assistance.

Good luck and Carpe diem.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I have contacted a local transport company and they can take me for $65. This seems a little steep.
Is there anyone else out there in the same predicament as me that will arrive in Bayonne tomorrow at around 14:00 and would like to share i lift?
I see from Google that there is a bus at 14:20. Can anyone confirm that this will run, and maybe know an apprroximate price.
I also paid an extra couple of $'s to have this journey insured at the time I bought the ticket with SNCF. The insurance is with Allianz but I have no idea how I would make a claim. Any help would be appreciated.
I can't tell you anything for sure, but I think if you arrive in Bayonne, there will be other pilgrims and some other way to get to SJPP.

I bet there's a substitute bus or this other bus you found on Google Maps (usually reliable information), but if not, you can find some people to share a ride.

When I was in Bayonne this past spring, the train I had a ticket for was full, but they provided a bus for all the people who had tickets.

A small risk, but it'll probably work out.

there will likely be a replacement bus

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was always a high stake gambler. But noting the number of reported cancellations lately and the number of OMG there was a bus I suspect that the current cancellations have more to do with rocks on the track than CGT having a poke. It’s probably cheaper for SNCF to run the buses than to get repair crew on the track at weekends. Le weekend is sacred…

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Happened to me at Bayonne, and the train company put a bunch of pilgrims in shared taxis to SJPP. Then a few years later it happened to me in Saint-Etienne, and a bus was provided to Le Puy. Have faith!

seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled.
I guess this is a typo and you mean the 14:20 train.

Cancellation of a train on the line L54 Bayonne-SJPP is not rare. The reason appears to be neither a mudslide nor a strike but a logistics issue - either the train is not available or staff is not available.

When you look at the real time departure board for Bayonne for today (Sunday) you see both the cancellation of the 14:20 train and its replacement. Click on it and you see that the replacement is a “car”, i.e. a bus. It is operated by French Rail SNCF/TER and it will arrive in SJPP at 15:59.

It is unfortunate that the email about the cancelled train that passengers receive does not inform them about the replacement bus.

IMG_1818.jpeg

IMG_1819.jpeg

Last edited:
It is unfortunate that the email about the cancelled train that passengers receive does not inform them about the replacement bus.
Their information policy is actually quite good. Train passengers of today make use of apps and I guess you find up to date info there. Otherwise you need to know where to click in their websites. It’s all there:

Reason for the cancellation of today’s 14:20 train:
IMG_1820.jpeg
Confirmation of the replacement bus:
IMG_1821.jpeg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Nice lady at Bayonne tells me there is a bus at 14:20.... phew!

Contact with SNCF for a compensation.
Last July I had two SNCF trains with long delay, I made a claim (they have forms on line for it), and got part of the price returned.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This happened to me in early September last year. I visited the station on arriving in Bayonne and spoke with staff there. They were very helpful explaining a bus would be available outside the station at the same time as the train would have departed. They were right.
Since then I have heard from numerous other pilgrims whose experience was the same. A bus was provided in place of the train.

Cancellation of a train on the line L54 Bayonne-SJPP is not rare. The reason appears to be neither a mudslide nor a strike but a logistics issue - either the train is not available or staff is not available.
Today yet another train of the line L54 Bayonne-SJPP has been cancelled. One train out of the 6 daily trains.

Yesterday it was the 14:20 train from Bayonne and today it is the 8:52 train from Bayonne. And just like yesterday one can find the information online on the SNCF websites that the train is cancelled because of lack of staff and that a replacement bus will leave at the same time as the cancelled train from Bayonne for SJPP.

Last edited:
I had a similar situation in November of 2022 when the train from Bayonne to SJPdP was cancelled. I could find no staff member to assist, and I don't speak enough French. I suggest being prepared to use a translation app, and be prepared to ask strangers to help as you look around outside the station for the correct bus.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Same thing just happened to me on 8/20, and they got a bus for everyone in Bayonne to SJPDP. I went from panicked to at ease surprisingly quickly. I think it happens regularly.

Just to illustrate how frequently the L54 train from Bayonne to SJPP gets cancelled and replaced by a bus:

Sunday 15 Sep: train leaving Bayonne at 14:20 cancelled
Monday 16 Sep: train leaving Bayonne at 8:52 cancelled
Tuesday 17 Sep: no cancellations
Wednesday 18 Sep: trains leaving Bayonne at 12:35, 17:13 and 18:37 cancelled.

In all these cases, a replacement bus was or is scheduled. In the case of the 17:13 train on Wednesday, there are even 2 replacement buses scheduled: The first bus goes non-stop from Bayonne to SJPP and arrives at 18:17 and the second bus stops in all the places where the train stops and arrives in SJPP at 18:49.

The information about the scheduled replacement buses is online but not always easy to find. A good place to check are the real-time Departure & Arrival boards for Bayonne station and SJPP station, see https://www.garesetconnexions.sncf/en/stations-services

Most read last week in this forum

So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
Unfortunately I’ve become too ill to continue—I have a flight from Madrid on Sept 19. Can anyone suggest a safe and quiet hotel in Madrid for tonight and tomorrow? I’m so sad I can’t Go on. I’ll...
Two Trains SNCF at 6am and 8am from Bayonne to SJPdeP got cancelled 12.09 . And we are going to start our France tomorrow 12.09, maybe someone has the same problem and wants to share taxi in the...
Hi everyone. I’m flying back to Chicago from Madrid after walking the CF in late November. I’ll be taking a cab to a hotel near CDG airport to fly out next day. It appears to be a long distance...
Hey everyone, this is just a heads-up that I'll be heading to Camino in the first week of October. My flight from the US to Madrid will arrive at 7:20 p.m. The last trip to Sarria is at 8:23 p.m...
Hello, I am new here. My husband and I plan to walk the Camino in Spring of 2025. In preparation of this I have been researching and reading. I came across a map which was interactive. It showed...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back