• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train from Santiago to madrid

frank john

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2016
October-November 2024
Hello. I’m trying to get my one way train ticket to Madrid from Santiago in late November. In your experience, what is the earliest one can purchase a ticket on Renfe or timeline ? Thanks. Frank

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello. I’m trying to get my one way train ticket to Madrid from Santiago in late November. In your experience, what is the earliest one can purchase a ticket on Renfe or timeline ? Thanks. Frank
It’ll be ‘Trainline’ and it’s unpredictable. I wouldn’t even look more than six weeks ahead and wouldn’t be concerned if the trains were not available four weeks ahead. They will be listed at the same time on both platforms, and Rail Europe. You’ll not miss out if you keep an eye on those two and no amount of ‘what’s going on?’ will speed the process up.

Don’t go for an advance purchase option like Rail Ninja even if they promise a reservation on a not-yet-released train.

Yes, this line has been the source of a lot of complaining by pilgrims and residents of Spain alike in the last 18 months or so! They release the tickets with short lead times. This causes consternation for all! In addition, I was reading last week in the newspaper that the new super high-speed train on this line was late 90% of the time so not really that high speed I guess. In any case, you can also fly back or take a bus. Not my first choice as I do love to watch the countryside flash by on the high speed train.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hi, I would suggest you to take a plane, it much faster and also cheaper than train. On Omio you can find flights from 21 Euro.

Hi, I would suggest you to take a plane, it much faster and also cheaper than train. On Omio you can find flights from 21 Euro.
Perhaps but there is no way that I would be dealing with the whole "airport security" thingy and the logistics of getting from one downtown to the other one (provided that that's the idea) no matter how cheap the tix are. (and to be fair I also do not think that those starting fare apply - chances are you will have something extra.... maybe your backpack needs to be checked in, maybe you want a better seat....)... The when you factor the time you have to put in just to be in the A\P "X-number of hours before your flight...

I for one loved sitting in a clean comfy train car with nice wide seats and being offered refreshments and sandwiches by the food cart server. And of course nothing can beat the view.... Them 4.5 hours went very fast....

To the OP's question the rule of the thumb is that the train tickets become available roughly 1 month prior to the travel date.
Search then
Good luck and Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
Unfortunately I’ve become too ill to continue—I have a flight from Madrid on Sept 19. Can anyone suggest a safe and quiet hotel in Madrid for tonight and tomorrow? I’m so sad I can’t Go on. I’ll...
Hey everyone, this is just a heads-up that I'll be heading to Camino in the first week of October. My flight from the US to Madrid will arrive at 7:20 p.m. The last trip to Sarria is at 8:23 p.m...
Hi everyone. I’m flying back to Chicago from Madrid after walking the CF in late November. I’ll be taking a cab to a hotel near CDG airport to fly out next day. It appears to be a long distance...
Hello, I am new here. My husband and I plan to walk the Camino in Spring of 2025. In preparation of this I have been researching and reading. I came across a map which was interactive. It showed...
Hey veteran pilgrims - of which I am one - is it common in mid October for all fast trains from Madrid to Leon to be “sold out” six weeks out from travel? It’s been 10 years since I have done a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back