• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which month has flowers blooming in the Camino? Is April Rainy?

santhi

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi Guys. I plan to walk the Camino (811km) next spring. I need suggestions from pilgrims who have walked and are still walking the Camino this April. How was the weather? Did you have too many rainy days? I am now thinking of setting off early instead of May. I am thinking of the start of April. Is it going to be rainy during this time? I doubt I will have a good time in the rain. Please advise me on this. Also when will the flowers be in bloom? April or May? I would really appreciate any input on this matter.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@santhi , April/May is spring on the camino Frances, and the time that you will see the most flowers.
As has been commented on by many in other posts the weather is impossible for us mere forum members to predict - especially nowadays. But reading this year's 'Live from the Camino ' threads (there's plenty of them on here) a common theme has been rain and snow, something like 50% of the time, at least over the first few days. A quick internet search will show you that St Jean typically has 17 days of rain in the month of April, which ties in very much with what people experienced. I quote "Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port in April usually receives high rainfall, averaging around 136 mm for the month"
So plan accordingly.

Temperatures were from in the minuses (frost, snow) to around 18 degrees I believe. Rather than ask us on the forum you could look for expert opinion by Simply googling the weather for St Jean Pied de Port and Pamplona for example.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have walked the Frances, Norte and Aragones in May and there have been fields of wild flowers, most notably red poppies, each time. It rained once on the Aragones, two or three days on the Frances and not at all on the Norte. I think that how much rain you get is mostly a matter of luck.

The Sanabres in late April and May had some lovely wild flowers in many colors, but I missed seeing one of my favorites; vibrant red poppies. From my memories, the Camino Frances had the most I have seen on any Camino, although I have not walked the VdlP and I hear it often has many.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am walking now, started May 9. So many fields of beautiful flowers at each stage so far. I take at least a dozen pictures of them a day 😁 April would have been too cold for me. Currently, I start off wearing all of my cold weather gear (sweater and rain shell) and shed it if the day warms up. Most people are wearing puffers in the morning. I would imagine I would've needed puffer, hat, gloves if I started in April.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
With 'the Camino' I suppose you mean the Camino Francés?

Keep in mind that the last years April has been also a very busy month, so make your reservations from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port until Pamplona.
Keep also in mind that 'Semana Santa' (the week before and including Easter) in 2025 from Wednesday 16th till Monday 21st April is extreme busy as people from France and Spain have a few days off and walk a part of the Camino.
The weather is totally unpredictable, in April we regularly have cold and freezing days wih snow in Roncesvalles, and more snow on the higher levels in the mountains. In that case the pilgrims office in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port strongly advises the pilgrims to take the route via Valcarlos. People who take the high route over the Col Lepoeder often have to be rescued because of snow, heavy winds or hypothermia.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hi Guys. I plan to walk the Camino (811km) next spring. I need suggestions from pilgrims who have walked and are still walking the Camino this April. How was the weather? Did you have too many rainy days? I am now thinking of setting off early instead of May. I am thinking of the start of April. Is it going to be rainy during this time? I doubt I will have a good time in the rain. Please advise me on this. Also when will the flowers be in bloom? April or May? I would really appreciate any input on this matter.
Last year I walked through fields of poppies mid May, it was beautiful! But the sunflowers weren’t open yet. I walked 2 weeks in the middle part of the french way. I think if you start first week of May in St Jean Pied du Port or Roncesvalles you will have a beautiful spring camino.

I went April 19 to May 15 and it was glorious. Only used poncho once but rain mac was windproof, so you may need that especially in the morning. I will try to enclose a slide I made of some of the beautiful flowers I saw.1716387611034.png

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Red poppies galore in early May last year and Galicia is full of fragrant yellow toxo bushes in mid and late May, fields of wildflowers too!

I am walking the Camino in Navarra now (May 22) and the wildflowers are glorious. There are also cultivated flowers blooming in everyone’s gardens—peonies and roses. It’s been raining but things are drying out now. Today was simply a perfect late spring day.

I started the Norte route on 17, May and the weather has been amazing (very little rain) and the wildflowers are absolutely amazing. It is hard to overemphasize just how beautiful they are right now.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We started at Astorga on May 14th had rain and snow the next day crossing over the mountains from Foncebadon to Ponferrada. Morning temperature 0 degrees centigrade. Switching over to the Camino Invierno we now had lots of wild flowers in full bloom but regular bouts of rain every day. Its poncho on/off time but spectacular landscapes! Take your chances and be prepared for any type of weather!

I just finished the Frances on 5-20. Beautiful flowers fields. Rained about 1/2 the time. Some days most of the day. Be prepared to be wet in April/May. I started April 17 in Saint Jean

For what it is worth, I think there will be less rain and still a lot of flowers in June.
..but more pilegrims ;-)

I have walked both Frances and Primitivo in April. Some rain, but more often sunny.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's good to check the forecasts but that can sometimes be misleading and unnecessarily discouraging. We just finished spending 5 weeks on the Norte. Sometimes the forecast would show solid rain for days and that never actually happened for us. Rain is very spotty. It might only rain for a few minutes or rain off and on during the day. It's rare for it to rain all day and rare for it to rain really really hard for very long. Despite dismal forecasts, we ended up having really great weather.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
..but more pilegrims ;-)

I have walked both Frances and Primitivo in April. Some rain, but more often sunny.
I don't think more pilgrims. May (and April now, too, more and more) has more pilgrims than June between SJPP and Sarria, where it (along with September) are the busiest months. From Sarria to Santiago the busiest months are July and August. There is actually a dip in pilgrim traffic in June.

And there were still fields of poppies when I walked in June, along with lots of other flowers.

I started towards the end of March 2022, through to May. Watching Spring emerge was glorious. Every new little bud & flower was a delight & encouragement. Exquisite. By OCebriero the hillsides were covered in pink wildflowers with splashes of yellow & purple. I loved this ti n e of year and aiming for March 2025.

Not really if you are starting the Francés from SJPdP. The big crowds from late April to early May will be gone. I think that June can be a good time to start.
You are right. I misread June for July.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't think more pilgrims. May (and April now, too, more and more) has more pilgrims than June between SJPP and Sarria, where it (along with September) are the busiest months. From Sarria to Santiago the busiest months are July and August. There is actually a dip in pilgrim traffic in June.

And there were still fields of poppies when I walked in June, along with lots of other flowers.
You are right. I misread June for July.

We are walking the Portuguese Way - Senda Litoral right now having started on May 21 in Porto. The wild flowers are amazing - Calla lilies, fox gloves, poppies, and fields of little flowers. There are many flowers i don’t know the names of - all beautiful. I would highly recommend walking in late May.

No matter when you walk - april/september, you will have the most gorgeous of flowers blooming all over this country, all having their own seasons. The weather, read stastistics wherever, but you can never predict rain no matter when or where. Its like it is, your flowers and plants need water.

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
The flowers are blooming like crazy RIGHT NOW on the meseta of the Camino Frances. The show is spectacular! We had lots of rain in the past couple of weeks, which brought them on strong in mid-May. Last year, however, was very dry -- the wildflowers didn't appear til mid-June, and the showing was comparatively poor. It all depends on rainfall and warmth, but the show continues from May right through June, with flushes of yellow (rapeseed), white daisies, red red poppies, purple thistles and heather, and drifts of other flowers whose names I don't know. They die off for a little while in late June - July... but by the 10th or so the sunflowers start opening up, and that great show goes on into August.

Since I never walk in summer, I have never seen the beautiful sunflowers in all their glory, except after turning brown and colorless in fall.

Watching Spring emerge was glorious. Every new little bud & flower was a delight & encouragement. Exquisite. By OCebriero the hillsides were covered in pink wildflowers with splashes of yellow & purple.
Your words are one of the big reasons why I love walking in early spring, but mid April is soon enough for me, especially if starting in higher elevations.

Most read last week in this forum

After walking in rainy and chilly Galicia for about a week I ended up in a warm hotel room, feverish and with a cold. And I asked myself: why am I doing this? It felt like truancy, but I decided...
I will be volunteering for 15 days at the Pilgrim’s Office in Santiago in late October . I understand that volunteers no longer fill out Compostela’s because a computer prints the names and...
I finally got around to having my Compostela and certificates framed. Doing so was more time consuming, irritating and painful than walking. The first attempt by the framers had everything at odd...
Does anyone know how Gronze determines the difficulty of a given stage? I'm planning out my Ingles, and I see that in prior posts, people have thought that the difficulty of Pontedeume to...
Hello I would like to consult a weather site for a longer period, what is the "weather" site in Spain do you recommend. M.erci [Machine translated by moderator]
Hi everyone! I am Lauren a junior UX researcher passionate about El Camino, I would like to see if anyone would be interested in sharing their feedback in a short 5min survey about their past...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back