• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What do you look for in a second Camino?

tommycamino

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2022
Like many others, I did the Camino Francés and it was a life-defining experience. I still spend a great deal of time reading and thinking about Caminos, and dreaming of the next one.

I'm curious. What do you look for in a second Camino? Are you looking for an entirely new adventure, looking to see new scenery and visit new places? Are you worried that you're 'chasing the dragon' and trying to recreate the memories you had? How long do you leave between Caminos?

I'm asking from a mostly philosophical place but I imagine the most popular must be doing the Norte or Portuguese after the Francés.

For what it's worth, I did a week on the Camino del Norte (Irún to Bilbao) with some friends and although I loved it, it didn't always feel like a Camino; I think because we weren't going all the way to Santiago de Compostela and because I did it with other people

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Tough question.
It would depend a lot on the reasons for walking another Camino and the type of Camino experience you are seeking. I like walking in solitude.

I love the Frances, but having walked it two and bit times I was seeking something new, less crowded and 'different'.

The VdlP
Invierno and
Fistera-Muxia

were just that.

Next will be the Madrid and the Sanabres.
The Madrid will be interesting as we are not aiming for Santiago.....
So I'm sure it will 'feel' very different.

But I think the Frances if fairly unique.....

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
12 years between my first and second Caminos. And more than 10x increase in pilgrim numbers in that time. On that second journey I wanted to recapture some of the joys of the first walk but also to see for myself how things had changed. I am in Burgos again now for the fifth time - almost 34 years to the day since I passed through here for the first time. And my answers would still be much the same.

Last edited:
Tough question.
It would depend a lot on the reasons for walking another Camino and the type of Camino experience you are seeking. I like walking in solitude.

I love the Frances, but having walked it two and bit times I was seeking something new, less crowded and 'different'.

The VdlP
Invierno and
Fistera-Muxia

were just that.

But I think the Frances if fairly unique.....
Very cool, thanks.

I met someone recently who does one or two Caminos every year. She mainly does the Francés because it's the "classic"

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think I look for a state where I have put aside my regular life and am engrossed in the mental time simply to think and the physical time just to walk. I divide my time on the Camino between being a hospitalera and walking as a pilgrim. As a hospitalera, I am meeting my needs to care for others who are tired, hungry, and needing the community of pilgrimage. As a pilgrim, I am able (usually) to walk with a mind free from worries. I put thoughts of home and work on hold and just focus on the time and try to be in the moment. My most pressing thoughts may be about whether there is coffee ahead or whether there will be a pilgrim Mass that evening.

When walking with my husband, or as I did last year leading a group of college students, I do think about them and where on the trail ahead or behind me they might be. This presses in sometimes on my mind especially if it is raining, very hot, or very cold and at times crowds the free space with a bit of worry. I've yet to walk a Camino alone and hope to do a bit of that this upcoming winter.

I simply look for something that fits the time I have available. If there’s several options, I first consider the season, then research (typically on here) to see what sounds the most appealing. In the unlikely event that I still can’t decide, I’ll go for the most accessible- I prefer to minimise the travel to my start point.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My second Camino was the same route as my first - the Francés. But the experience was very different. I walked during a different season, and tried to spend the night in towns I felt like I had missed before because I had just walked through them. And of course I met an entirely different group of people.

For me the ambition is to do what I would class as the big 3 - I have done the Frances and the Norte, with just the VDLP to do. I guess they are the longest of the popular ones, so I guess I look for distance. I do hope to do some others shorter ones, but not a priority. I did Caminha to SDC last week and enjoyed it, but it was too short and felt like ‘Disneyland’ it was so busy, which I don’t mind too much but some won’t like it. I wouldn’t redo any routes.

Last edited:
I also think about how I’ll do my second Camiño. My first one was last year at this time, Porto to SdC, walking alone. I’m thinking next year I’ll tackle the big one, SJpdp if I can find 5-6 open weeks, and maybe even invite my husband to join me.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Like many others, I did the Camino Francés and it was a life-defining experience. I still spend a great deal of time reading and thinking about Caminos, and dreaming of the next one.

I'm curious. What do you look for in a second Camino? Are you looking for an entirely new adventure, looking to see new scenery and visit new places? Are you worried that you're 'chasing the dragon' and trying to recreate the memories you had? How long do you leave between Caminos?

I'm asking from a mostly philosophical place but I imagine the most popular must be doing the Norte or Portuguese after the Francés.

For what it's worth, I did a week on the Camino del Norte (Irún to Bilbao) with some friends and although I loved it, it didn't always feel like a Camino; I think because we weren't going all the way to Santiago de Compostela and because I did it with other people
Some say that to ask what to look for on a second Camino is akin to asking, "What is the meaning of life?" Some questions are best left unanswered. In addition, asking another person what does one look for in a second Camino when this person is as different from you as an ant to a tree, when taking into account one's subconscious level, is not only inadvisable, it is also rather risky. However, this is from my own, individual, personal perspective, which is an example of the risk one takes when seeking another's opinion or input. Chuck

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For me, what I was looking for in a second Camino was pretty simple. Fix the errors and omissions from my first Camino. When it actually happened, hterewas something else added as a goal: spending quality time with my son.

Now my third Camino didn't have such an obvious purpose. I ended up looking for something that could give me a number of the benefits of the first two, on a new route (the first and second had been the same route) that would fit my available time.

I simply look for something that fits the time I have available. If there’s several options, I first consider the season, then research (typically on here) to see what sounds the most appealing. In the unlikely event that I still can’t decide, I’ll go for the most accessible- I prefer to minimise the travel to my start point.
Peter, as you well know, it's hard to minimise the travel from Aotearoa NZ! 🤣🇳🇿

Peter, as you well know, it's hard to minimise the travel from Aotearoa NZ! 🤣🇳🇿
Yes, I have been rather spoiled in that regard for the last few years.
Nonetheless if I can avoid adding half a day or so to get from my arrival point in Spain to the beginning of my camino I'll certainly take it !

Invierno and
Fistera-Muxia

were just that.

@Robo, I walked the Madrid to Sahagan and did not miss walking all the way to Santiago at all, having been there many times before. You may be surprised that it isn't necessarily a negative.
I walked the Sanabres from Rionegro del Puente and ended in Santiago, which was nice as it enters the city from a new direction.
I walked Muxia to Finesterre twice, and also Muxia to Santiago, which was another new way to enter the city.
I leave in two weeks for Ponferrada to start the Invierno and hope for mostly good weather. I then move over to the Ingles, walking to Santiago, but this time will stay only one night.

I'm planning my second Camino Frances for next year and have spent time considering this exact question.
My first Camino in 2016 was meant to be a walk of solitude and reflection for me, a chance to think and put things to rest. I met my wife on day 3 and a magnificent camino family and never had the chance to do that. Even on the last day in Fisterra, and many times since, I have said that I want to go back and do it alone as I had always intended. Of course I wouldn't change one second of my first camino, and we have been back and done other routes, but it's always felt like unfinished business to me.
I did look at doing the Norte or Portuguese, but as my wife said, would I regret not doing the Frances again when I have opportunity? Probably.
A member of our camino family also ask if I was trying to recapture the first camino or 'chase the dragon' as you put it. But I can honest say, no, this is for me and me alone.

I'm planning my second Camino Frances for next year and have spent time considering this exact question.
My first Camino in 2016 was meant to be a walk of solitude and reflection for me, a chance to think and put things to rest. I met my wife on day 3 and a magnificent camino family and never had the chance to do that. Even on the last day in Fisterra, and many times since, I have said that I want to go back and do it alone as I had always intended. Of course I wouldn't change one second of my first camino, and we have been back and done other routes, but it's always felt like unfinished business to me.
I did look at doing the Norte or Portuguese, but as my wife said, would I regret not doing the Frances again when I have opportunity? Probably.
A member of our camino family also ask if I was trying to recapture the first camino or 'chase the dragon' as you put it. But I can honest say, no, this is for me and me alone.
It’s highly likely, on the Frances, you’ll end up in another Camino family. I was only on it 3 days last year, crossing between routes….and did.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I did 5 Camino including Via de la Plata Norte and Frances etc.

The one Camino that had the greatest impact on me was the Portuguese on a November month few years ago. It rain 11 days in a row non stop and I was walking and walking almost never meeting anyone. The albergues and the hotels were empty.

It was a very special experience when crossing a forest with the noise of the rain it was like hypnotic. When I look back at all the Camino I walk the Portuguese under the rain in November is the Camino that impressed and impacted me the most.

Almost a 11 days meditation

Accept what ever happens on the Camino positively, it will transform you even if the elements are not with you.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Together we walked SJPdP to Muxia in 2015. Early in 2019 we noticed a cheap flight to Barcelona and invited a friend to come with us in October to our third visit there. I was thinking of a short camino from there afterwards with Peg but she didn't think she was capable. So I decided to go on my own after Peg and friend left for home. I missed a visit in 2015 to San Juan de la Peña so I set that as the destination (two weeks). Then I thought that the end was near the Aragonese so I added that on. Then I would probably need to get back from Pamplona so that was added on. Well, why not go from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic? Added on. Irun is close to San Sebastian (yum, yum) and Peg would be jealous. Added on (four weeks). The weather turned bad so it ended up being a walk from Barcelona to Pamplona and then a train back to Barcelona to fly home

I'm considering a Madrid, Ciudad Real, Toledo, Avila, Segovia, Valladolid, Wamba, Toro, Zamora and Salamanca on the way back to Madrid. I'm referring to it as the Camino Ricardo.

Last edited:
Rick, how long will the Camino Ricardo take you to walk? Are you serious?
It is a back-of-my-mind thing right now. I first visited Spain in '88 and wanted to see many of those places but I never have (the others were found to be along the way between the ones I originally considered). Well, why not walk between them? As I remember from some back of an envelope planning, it would connect four named caminos not named the Ricardo (in and out of Madrid would be public transportation). Six towns may have an extra day set aside for touring and it may involve a month's walking with two nights at locations between named caminos.

I have to figure out what to do with Peg. Maybe a tour of Italy (a missed college trip for her). Another complication came up too. I've long wanted to visit Norway. A friend recently came back from a trip there and his niece has given us an invitation to visit. I may have to consider St. Olaf's way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is a back-of-my-mind thing right now. I first visited Spain in '88 and wanted to see many of those places but I never have (the others were found to be along the way between the ones I originally considered). Well, why not walk between them? As I remember from some back of an envelope planning, it would connect four named caminos not named the Ricardo (in and out of Madrid would be public transportation). Six towns may have an extra day set aside for touring and it may involve a month's walking with two nights at locations between named caminos.

I have to figure out what to do with Peg. Maybe a tour of Italy (a missed college trip for her). Another complication came up too. I've long wanted to visit Norway. A friend recently came back from a trip there and his niece has given us an invitation to visit. I may have to consider St. Olaf's way.
Go do something! NOW! Don't wait! We never know what will happen tomorrow! I have watched it happen to friends and definitely my parents.

Phil and I are in the beginning planning stages of a trip to Italy, a section of the Via Francigina, followed by a hospitalero service in Spain and then some Camino walking and then ending up the trip over Semana Santa somewhere in Spain. I want to do the Via de la Plata or at least part. Phil isn't sure he can walk the long stages so is thinking of either of his own Camino on the CF with shorter stages or a second albergue on his own or maybe even a few weeks of Spanish classes.

We just finished a 3-month camping trip to Alaska and back. We've moved to a new state closer to my parents now in Missouri and ready to plan our next adventure to Europe.

I’m starting the Camino Frances for the second time on Wednesday, and I would say I expect it to be different…..mostly. I’m 12 years older- those years and walking the Camino the first time changed me. My biggest worry is this time I expect to be able to finish vs last time I didn’t know what I could do and took it day by day. I’m in good shape but am 65 now. I strive to be as open minded and accepting of whatever happens as last time. As for the route itself, there’s lots I’ve forgotten except how hard the first day was!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The thread it replete with advice and suggestions. They all have merit. My only addition (and I may have missed it being advanced) is that I've planned different routes but never planned on anything substantial as a goal or purpose. They have each provided some valuable lesson and (I primarily travel for religious reasons) something for me to take away in my prayer / personal life. The Camino has, for me, always been an interesting adventure in many ways. Enjoy. Buen / Bom Camino / Caminho!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I like the idea of a similar, yet different experience. Our first was the Portuguese from Porto. We then went completely different! From Assisi to Rome in the Via de Francesco six months later. Six months after that we walked 1,000km from Lourdes to Santiago (a portion of the Piamonte combined with the entire Frances). Next year we will walk from Fatima to Santiago.

I like the different scenery, so different routes. Each has their own strengths and uniqueness. But, it’s hard to beat the comraderie of the Frances!

Thank you for your nice question.
I have completed 3 camino francés, 1 Via de la Plata and 1 camino Portugiese on the coast.
In my opinion nothing beats the Frances and I would walk one every year if I could.
Even on the Via de La Plata after one month of lonely walking, I decided to finish it via Astorga and thought finishing it on the Frances. From Astorga to Santiago then I mad two huge groups of friends and felt the camino experience again.
For me the Via de la Plata was a very long and very beautiful walk, but somehow it did not feel like a camino to me. The pilgrims you meet the first days, somehow you never see again by Merida and latest by Salamanca everything breaks up.
On the Frances instead you always see people you meet again and again.

The Portuguese for me was beautiful, but just too short. It was 10 days ( just the time to finish the "body phase) and so it did not feel like an epic adventure.

The Frances it truly the one and only, because of length and variety in landscape it seems you are walking through an epic adventure.

So long story short, as a second camino I would always do the Frances again especially if there are years between the two. The always different and wonderful people you meet are worth the camino.

Regards from Switzerland and been camino

Last edited:
For me the Via de la Plata was a very long and very beautiful walk, but somehow it did not feel like a camino to me.
The Via de la Plata feels far closer in character to my first Camino than the Frances does these days. If I could only walk one of them in future then it would be the VdlP.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).

Most read last week in this forum

I'm starting the camino on sept. 27 in Leon. I'm a bit apprehensive to start the journey alone. Are any other ladies going to be starting then also and want to walk that first leg? OR, are there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back