• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What ailments to expect after many days of walking?

JustOneGuy

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug 2024: GR130, Apr 25: Camino Primitivo?
Good afternoon guys,

I would like to ask, especially those who are... “differently young” like me, what pains to expect after several days of walking, at least the first times. I mean pains and problems clearly related with doing 20-25 km a day.

And also whether, in your experience, these pains/discomforts tend to get worse or go away after a few days spent walking.

Thanks to anyone who would like to tell me about their experience.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Ignoring blisters, shin splints, tendonitis (knees/feet/hips), sore back and shoulders. Most ailments resolve themselves within a few days of not walking 25km a day.

Some people do end up with stress fractures, broken bones, permanent injuries.

Pay attention to aches and pains. Visit a pharmacy for advice, topical treatments and analgesics and directions to a medical center if needed.

What does "differently young" mean? Do you mean middle aged or old? What's wrong with saying that? lol

I don't know how differently young you are, but this is an impossible question. You might have excruciating pain from blisters, anything from mild to severe pain from shin splints, bad knees, metatarsalgia, aching shoulders from a backpack you are not used to, general achiness from the effort, headache from too much wine the night before...

I wouldn't "expect" any of these unless you already experience them, but I would not be surprised. Whether they get worse or better will depend on the cause.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What does "differently young" mean? Do you mean middle aged or old? What's wrong with saying that? lol
Nothing. Just joking as I like to! I am 65, in good general conditions (no medicines, no high pressure). A bit overweight to be honest, but no big issue. A knee not "cooperating", let's say :cool:.

Thanks for your many advices!

Last edited:
Nothing. Just joking as I like to! I am 65, in good general conditions (no medicines, no high pressure or big issues). A bit overweight to be honest, but no big issue. A knee not "cooperating", let's say :cool:.

A few of my friends get quite upset when I say that we are old (late 50s to late 60s), We're old not dead.

Bring a knee brace, and get some training walks in before you go so you know how your body responds to walking all day. Buen Camino!

Besides treatable blisters, I have noticed knee pain and achy hamstrings/gluts the most, albeit nothing debilitating. Just a feeling of “hmmm, maybe didn’t work those out enough before heading out.”

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
A sidenote for women who are going through perimenopause ( guys, you can skip this part ! ) and who for whatever reason do not want to go through hormonetreatment : be aware of extra sweating in warm temperatures.
Some can experience musclecramps and it is not always clear if it is agerelated or due to the walking.

Good afternoon guys,

I would like to ask, especially those who are... “differently young” like me, what pains to expect after several days of walking, at least the first times. I mean pains and problems clearly related with doing 20-25 km a day.

And also whether, in your experience, these pains/discomforts tend to get worse or go away after a few days spent walking.

I had no blisters but on day three I developed a rash on my legs (vasculites). I had to walk with my white flight socks which helped a lot. It looked odd but no one cared.
The ball of my foot also became very sore. But every morning you wake up with new feet and new legs. Taking my shoes off during stops definitely helped.
I started walking with a sore hip. All the walking cured it!
Having blisters seems to be a nightmare. Glad I did not get any.
You will be fine. Do not rush. Take your time. I think may injuries happen when you walk to fast.

That's bad @caminocoffee! Sorry about that. Interesting that walking cured your hip! I know a person that doesn't want to walk because of a problem with her hip... I will tell her.

I don't usually get blisters. If I do, it is because I have the wrong socks or shoes or both. Never happened with the Hoka Speedgoat (fingers crossed...). However, I will bring a pack of Compeed.

I have run a lot in the past: marathons... and also what they call here "calzada" (climb). I had almost no injuries until my knee decided otherwise about two years ago, due to a mild form of arthritis. My knee complained a lot yesterday on the downhill (15 km - 850 up and 850 down), but I think I can survive.

Let me say that it really hurts when you have to say adios! to running, but it's part of the game of life, and I've been very lucky so far, so I can't complain at all.

A few days ago I was running on a nice path near my home. There was an old woman with her severely handicapped son. I smiled and greeted them both, but I was almost ashamed to walk quietly with my backpack while I was preparing my island's tour by foot.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Most pain is manageable.

I have some pre-existing conditions, knees, tendons etc that need careful management.

Then there are the 'common' things like blisters, shin splints, sore backs, that can generally be 'avoided' with the right gear, stretching etc.

Then I find there are just age related things, in particular my feet.

My podiatrist and physio have explained that our feet lose the fatty cushioning with age.
So I find too much road walking really tough. So I wear really well cushioned shoes and orthotics.

But even with all that, by 25 kms my feet just simply.........hurt. The soles of the feet.
By 30kms, they really hurt.
And if I walked more than 30 kms I would need a day off to recover.
So I keep my days at 20-25 kms.

@JustOneGuy, this is such an individual thing.
I don't think you should 'expect' anything.

Ignoring blisters, shin splints, tendonitis (knees/feet/hips), sore back and shoulders. Most ailments resolve themselves within a few days of not walking 25km a day.

I agree completely.

Whilst some develop problems as they walk, others find that their bodies significantly improve. Even pre-existing conditions can often be managed with the right care regime. (Exercises, stretching, Compression bandages etc)

If you develop a problem research it, and see what you can change to improve it.

I started my Primitivo last year with an injured leg, unsure as to whether or not I would even be able to complete day one. The key was was adjusting my pace to my circumstances. So, significantly slower than usual. I also found that a compression bandage helped. Whilst it never completely healed over that two weeks it came to bother me less and less as time went on. If I'd I been walking longer still I'm sure it would have completely recovered.
Had I ignored it and tried to walk as I normally do, or keep up with others, I'm positive it would have been a different outcome.

There are blister treatment regimens, personally I prefer prevention rather than cure. (Airing feet at rest stops, hiker's wool, good sock management etc).
Sore shoulders from an unfamiliar backpack? It's probably not fitted properly, get somebody to assist. Appropriate packing techniques often help. You may simply require a little additional padding to relieve a pressure point, etc.

I could go on and on, my point is is that most issues have a solution. Problems that develop, develop for a reason. If you find out what that reason is, it will help you do something about it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The good news is that age is (almost) irrelevant in such a gentle activity as walking. It's all about two things, how physically fit you are and how well prepared you are. Getting used to the activity of course and get used to how your body works, as said. And prepared with training that prevents injuries, stretching and balance training over time (and as I have said before, you do NOT train balance as much when training with poles). Balance strengthens ankles and joints.
Of course, you become more vulnerable with age with, for example, osteoporosis, but this can also be prevented to a certain extent with heavy strength training, calcium and vit D. As Peter says, prevent prevent prevent.

Blisters have nothing to do with age.

Thanks for the encouragement, I agree @KariannNor, but only to a point.

Age does have an effect, unfortunately. And one additional factor that I have noticed is of course extremely important is WEIGHT. Most elderly people who live very active lives are extremely slim.

I just read this today: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/19/travel/grandparents-grandchildren-adventure.html .

I can't share this article in a forum, but if anyone is interested, send me a private message.

Don't forget that things you can do to to deal with problems before they arise, but without any expectation that they will arise include:
  • packing light to minimise the burden on hips and knees
  • walking shorter daily distances, especially at the start of your walk - my own average day is around 15 km days and I've met several people walking 10 k per day caminos
  • using walking poles
  • taking regular rest stops as you walk; eg for ten minutes every hour sit, stretch, drink and contemplate
  • understanding that the Camino does not start at St Jean Pied de Port, and you can start wherever you wish.
In my 70s I've not attempted the more hilly routes that you are planning, but I found that most days when I started walking I would feel a twinge here or there and think "oh dear, I'm developing a blister/knee problem/ ankle problem/ etc." So I focussed on something else, often early morning bird song, and apart from one small blister once, whatever it was disappeared!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Why "expect" any pain or discomfort?

1) Keep your pack light (=no shoulder or back pain).
2) Gradually build up your daily km (=less chance of shin splints or muscle ache)
3) Make sure you've got a good sock and shoe combo that works for you (=up your shoe size by at least one size, I prefer 1.5 larger than normal to decrease chance of blisters)
4) Walk at your own pace (=don't try to keep up with others increasing chance of injury)
5) Take a day off if you need one or a shorter day (=helps with recovery).

Off course you may do all of the above and still encounter some difficulty but I would never start out on a Camino assuming that something will go wrong. At least this works for me (68 years old woman with a new hip and faster than ever 😂).

Last edited:
So many excellent comments. The only thing I can add is that if an individual is not accustomed to walking long distances, start SLOW. Yes, you will feel like you can walk further, but the wise choice is to stop. Keep this regimen up for the first several days to a week and then begin to extend your distance. So many new walkers are so excited to walk they overdo it and their body rebels to such treatment. They develop shin splints or worse and then usually have to give up on their walk. The Camino is not a race. If you need to keep a schedule, use a taxi, bus, train, etc. Getting your body in shape will pay off in a successful walking experience.
Buen Camino

Age does have an effect, unfortunately
To an extent, yes. Especially with relation to factors such as recovery times.

And one additional factor that I have noticed is of course extremely important is WEIGHT. Most elderly people who live very active lives are extremely slim.
Of course, but that affects you regardless of age, and is addressed by Kariann:
It's all about two things, how physically fit you are and how well prepared you are. Getting used to the activity of course and get used to how your body works, as said. And prepared with training that prevents injuries,
It’s also part of @BarbaraW's packing light, although she doesn’t specifically say so - it doesn’t matter if you are carrying excess on your back or on your waistline, it’s all weight. This point is often made by forum members, typically those who are self aware, like @Robo.

As I said before, and as @KariannNor, @BarbaraW, and @LTfit emphasised:
it’s about prevention.

Your question was "what ailments to expect after days of walking'.
I think our answer is almost universally
- none.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good afternoon guys,

- Getting up in the morning with sore muscles in my legs during the first three days on any of my three Caminos
- 10 days of sore shoulders from the daily wear on my first Frances - but since then my shoulders gave up any protest.
- Never had a blister.
- Maybe a bit too much sun-tan on arms and legs and neck.

I walked last year -- Somport to Santiago via the Invierno after Ponferrada. Mid-50s. No real problems like any joint issues like knee or shoulder problems, and maybe one or two blisters early on, but nothing serious. BUT. Plantar fasciitis! My feet hurt whenever I'd stop walking for a while, including in the morning when I'd get out of bed. But then they'd kind of "warm up" and stop hurting, and I figured it was just some kind of stiffness. I thought it would go away after the Camino, but it didn't, or at least for a long time. Months later, I was still in pain and ended up resorting to physical therapy for a while. Now, just over a year later, I am mostly pain free, but I get a little sometimes. I wear my recovery sandals in the house instead of going barefoot and wear very unprofessional-looking Hoka shoes to the office. And even though when I ended the Camino all I wanted to do was walk for an hour or two every day, that wasn't possible. So I've gained weight. Terrific.

I'll chime in since you asked. Great posts above. I walked SJPdP to SDC at 60 years, was in very good shape and had trained well, am thin built and carried a 17 lb. pack. I was on a little time constraint so generally went as fast and far as I could with the goal of finishing the most important. Got a few blisters, but mostly had pretty tender, swollen feet after the first week that never went away. My feet throbbed so much at night I couldn't sleep unless I took ibuprofen, preferable the PM type as a sleep aid. I do remember my legs ached enough, too, that I had trouble sleeping on my side, so slept on my back until I was woken by a fellow pilgrim girl poking me on the chest in the middle of the night saying "you are snoring! Loudly!" Probably my biggest mistake was that by the last week I developed a bad case of acid reflux from the ibuprofen. After eating I felt like I need to burp but couldn't, followed by bad ache in my chest. I could barely eat the last week, but found some Rolaids type antacids in Melide that really helped.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Nothing. Just joking as I like to! I am 65, in good general conditions (no medicines, no high pressure). A bit overweight to be honest, but no big issue. A knee not "cooperating", let's say :cool:.

I would recommend starting with shorter distances and building up in a few days. That way your body adjusts to the walking and the weight on your back. My knees are doing much better since I left my hiking boots at home and walk on trail runners. Buen camino!

Good afternoon guys,

Start slowly with shorter days. The Camino trains you. If you can avoid injury in the first 7-10 days you should be fine.

For the knee: carry a few large Ziploc bags. Most bars will give you ice if they have it available. Icing is good for swelling and pain.

Why "expect" any pain or discomfort?

1) Keep your pack light (=no shoulder or back pain).
2) Gradually build up your daily km (=less chance of shin splints or muscle ache)
3) Make sure you've got a good sock and shoe combo that works for you (=up your shoe size by at least one size, I prefer 1.5 larger than normal to decrease chance of blisters)
4) Walk at your own pace (=don't try to keep up with others increasing chance of injury)
5) Take a day off if you need one or a shorter day (=helps with recovery).

Off course you may do all of the above and still encounter some difficulty but I would never start out on a Camino assuming that something will go wrong. At least this works for me (68 years old woman with a new hip and faster than ever 😂).
Thank you.

Good afternoon guys,

Get in shape, condition, prepare, and expect no ailments.
Out of shape, over weight, unconditioned, unprepared: expect exhaustion, falls, heat issues, sore/strained/sprained joints and muscles, bruises, blisters, infections.
You are not specific on age, but I will be 64 in a few days. Am I like you? With 8 years of Caminos, I can count the number of blisters (all minor and under 6mm diameter) on one hand. I stumbled and fell once walking in the dark on a flat road on the way to Muxia, but no injuries except pride😲

One other thing I just thought of, although not necessarily age-related - keep hydrating even if you aren’t thirsty or sweaty. Several times in the first few days of my first Camino I experienced excruciating cramps in my legs while I was falling asleep or in the middle of the night, which stopped as soon as I realized the cause and made sure to drink an electrolyte mix at least once during the day.

Good afternoon guys,

I’m 61 and hike frequently in the mountains near my home. I went on several 20k+ hikes prior to walking the Camino and had no troubles during training, yet I did experience shin splints and blisters during the Camino itself. The shin splints resolved with an anti inflammatory I got at the pharmacy. The blisters were persistent, but they didn’t bother me much because I cushioned them with moleskin each morning. Then I developed a Taylor’s bunion on the outside of my little toe about halfway through the Camino, and it got progressively bigger. It felt like I was walking on a pebble, but I was still able to complete the Camino. After I got home, I took a quick 8k walk around the neighborhood and started experiencing terrible pain in the heel of the foot with the bunion. I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and I’m wearing an orthotic boot. The podiatrist speculated that the bunion changed my gait, causing the stress that led to the plantar fasciitis, and that the bunion developed in the first place because my boots were a little too narrow. My advice: get professionally measured and fitted for your footwear because feet change over time. I’ve been using the same brand, size, and style of hiking shoes for several years, simply replacing them when they wear out, but my feet changed over time and I would be better off if I’d realized that.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Let's just say sometimes "Naproxeno Sodico" (Aleve) can be your friend. Available at most Spanish Farmacias, tho sometimes they claim you need a prescription (very rare). Ditto on the ice thing too.

Some really good answers here! As usual, I learn so much from others' experience.

While I agree with those who caution against anticipating problems, I found a few preventive measures can really make a difference in avoiding problems.

For me, the two biggest problems I experienced were:

1. Blister: I never had blister issues until deep into my second day of walking the del Norte. I developed a large blister on the back of my heal, about the size of my pinky finger. I applied Compeeds, but for three days each downhill step was painful, until I could finally drain it, then it healed and no more blisters. I had bought a tube of HikeGoo at REI, packed it and totally forgot about it (since I never got blisters, ha!), but started applying it on day 3 and never had another problem. I know there are whole threads about how to prevent blisters (larger shoes, yes! two pairs of socks, doesn't work for me, wide feet!, etc.), but this was my miracle worker and now I won't go on a long hike without it. One of my biggest fears on my Camino was that I would run out before I finished (yes, Vaseline might have worked, but once you've got something that works, that's what you want), but it lasted the whole 6 weeks.

2. Sore feet: Aging definitely impacts the fatty cushioning on the bottom of my feet! Even months after I finished my Camino, the soles of my feet still felt a little puffy under the skin. I think I didn't really rest much during each walk - on my training walks, I just keep walking and that's what I mostly did on my Camino, start walking and often not rest at all until reaching my destination. Once I started resting a couple of times during the day, taking off my shoes, resting feet on cool grass or in water (and then having to reapply my dwindling supply of HikeGoo!), it really helped my feet recover. Since returning home, I've started using Melt foot balls to massage my feet before and after walks - I'm thinking I will take these on my next Camino, they are very small, weigh almost nothing, and work to release the tightness in the feet and skin. Here's a video showing the technique - it takes 5-10 minutes, but it does help.

Some other things I found super helpful to prevent problems:

Electrolytes: I know there are whole threads on whether to use or not, but I personally found them to be highly effective at reducing fatigue and muscle soreness and cramps. My doctor had encouraged me to increase my magnesium, potassium, etc. on long walks and to aid recovery afterwards. I started each day by adding a packet (Re-Lyte) to a 500 ml bottle, sipping that for first few hours, then kept a handful of electrolyte caps (SaltStick), taking one about every hour or so, then two at the end of the walk. I did not experience any muscle fatigue or soreness over the 1000 km of walking. I shared with several Camino friends who were experiencing pain or cramping, they were surprised at how effective it was. Highly recommend.

Anti-inflammatories: At others mentioned, I was glad I had brought them with me, particularly after long Primitivo downhills when I could really feel it in my knees. I had both regular and PM with sleep aid - some days were so long or otherwise activating, that even though tired I wasn't sure I could sleep and was glad for a little boost. I didn't feel I needed to take them every day, but there were days that I felt I really needed to reduce swelling in joints.

Sleep: Don't underestimate the importance of a sound night's sleep. Sometimes a little sleep aid can really help, but experiment with what works best for you before you go, you don't want to feel too "hungover" in the morning.... I can't remember a day where, no matter how tired and sore I felt after walking, the next day after a good sleep, I was ready to go again - maybe my body felt tired and I needed a slow warmup, but miraculously it was ready (and eager!) to go

Trekking Poles: Really important on del Norte and Primitvo to help take pressure off knees, especially with a heavy pack. Even with the sticks, my knees were suffering some days (see anti-inflammatories above). I didn't use them all the time, it's nice to walk without sticks too, but I really felt I needed them on the downhill, also for balance the few times I had to walk on rocks over a stream

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A sidenote for women who are going through perimenopause ( guys, you can skip this part ! ) and who for whatever reason do not want to go through hormonetreatment : be aware of extra sweating in warm temperatures.
Some can experience musclecramps and it is not always clear if it is agerelated or due to the walking.
I strongly recommend electrolytes in your drinking water in large part for just that reason.

A few of my friends get quite upset when I say that we are old (late 50s to late 60s), We're old not dead.

Bring a knee brace, and get some training walks in before you go so you know how your body responds to walking all day. Buen Camino!
Slightly dodgy knee, then I would recommend walking poles. My first Camino was at age 64 and I had never walked with poles before, but so glad I had them, especially on long, steep down hills.
Don't 'expect' problems but be prepared to deal with them. Remember, it's not a race and it is your çamino. Wish I was there. Enjoy and Buen camino. Let us know how you get on.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I had no blisters or sore muscles during the walk. The day after I finished though (with a 40km walk the day before) I had sore muscles in my shins

I got a 10cm wide rash on the front of each thigh which I think was heat rash. Not itchy or painful.

Oh, I got a very bad cold and had to take 3 days off - but that was due to a very sick person in a dorm room early on who coughed and spluttered all night.

40 kms in one day is A LOT.

I did it only once, but I was around 16 at the time.

ah... plus the marathons of course.

I have to say that the training it's paying back but... since the other day I developed an unexpected problem related with an area of the body maintained in the dark all the time and... which is usually mentioned only for swear word 😆 The one in the back, I mean, not the one on the front side.

Anyone else?

Last edited:
I'm a spring chicken at 48, but I did get shin splints almost bad enough to stop me in my tracks. Self-inflicted as thinking you are indestructible tends to lead to. Pay attention to your body and don't ignore it is my best advice.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I have to say that the training it's paying back but... since the other day I developed an unexpected problem related with an area of the body maintained in the dark all the time and... which is usually mentioned only for swear word 😆 The one in the back, I mean, not the one on the fron side.

Anyone else?
Haha that actually reminds me of a less serious ailment I got. My back/shoulders would start killing at around the 20km mark from my back-pack (probably due to not spending time adjusting it as per guidelines as those are for amateurs), and I used to hook my fingers between the straps and my chest to relive the pressure. This unfortunately resulted in a case of sore moobs for a few days.

Levity aside, after a good few days of hard walking, tired me gets a bit grumpy and have had to fight the urge to not put up with the behaviour of others

Normal me wouldn't bat an eyelid at some antics... tired me needs reminding

Haha that actually reminds me of a less serious ailment I got. My back/shoulders would start killing at around the 20km mark from my back-pack (probably due to not spending time adjusting it as per guidelines as those are for amateurs), and I used to hook my fingers between the straps and my chest to relive the pressure. This unfortunately resulted in a case of sore moobs for a few days.
😏

I was assuming this cannot happen while walking.

The most painful problem I have experienced while running (especially in hot and humid climates) is nipple irritation due to shirt chafing. The effect is HORRIBLE. In addition to the terrible pain, I remember once walking into a bar after a long run and noticing the horrified looks on people's faces. I looked at myself and saw that my shirt was completely covered in blood. 🤮

I tried several solutions I found on runners' forums, but the only working one was a t-shirt sold by Decathlon that was designed to avoid this. They were perfect: they used a layer of Teflon to protect the nipples.

Then, of course, they stopped making them...

Last edited:

I have to say that the training it's paying back but... since the other day I developed an unexpected problem related with an area of the body maintained in the dark all the time and... which is usually mentioned only for swear word 😆 The one in the back, I mean, not the one on the front side.

Anyone else?
Mine was the front side. I posted about it at the time (July’23?). Apparently guys don’t just use Vaseline for their feet. Some prefer powder to reduce chafing, the chemist prescribed Nappy cream, others had various underwear suggestions to make. Unpleasant…..

Last edited:

Anyone else?
Use the product Body Glide to treat and prevent chafing between the butt cheeks - if that’s what you are referring to. I applied this every morning.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Use the product Body Glide to treat and prevent chafing between the butt cheeks - if that’s what you are referring to. I applied this every morning.
Just to be clear, I am referring to hemorrhoids Written in shamelessly big, bold charathers :)

Actually the doctor suggested me something probably similar. I have it at home and do not remember its name.

Ah, that I hadn't thought of. Especially because regular walking improves bowel health and actually reduces the risk of getting hemorrhoids.

Mine was the front side. I posted about it at the time (July’23?). Apparently guys don’t just use Vaseline for their feet. Some prefer powder to reduce chafing, the chemist prescribed Nappy cream, others had various underwear suggestions to make. Unpleasant…..
I started to develop heating on the side of my right foot. My brother, an experienced hiker living in the Stateside, suggested using Vaseline and Kleenex to prevent chafing. It worked perfectly.

My wife suffers from valgus in the index finger of her feet. She walks to work: 18-19 thousand steps a day, every working day. She is a very particular woman 🥰 who literally hates shopping and buying stuff, especially for herself.

Until recently her feet were very painful, but she persevered. But about a month ago, I convinced her to go to my local running/hiking equipment pusher 😎, a very knowledgeable and professional person, who immediately suggested her a pair of rather expensive running shoes from a not-so-popular but professional brand for runners. Despite her protests 😄, I bought her a pair. Well... she now says that these shoes fit the shape of her feet very well. And since then -- problem almost completely solved!!!

This is to say that sometimes - I do not say "always" - wearing the right pair of shoes is essential. Now, what the "right" pair of shoes is for each person can be difficult. You have to identify the right pusher ... shop and try. Not an easy taks, but unlike my wife, I have always invested a lot in buying the right shoes when I ran.

I will not say the make and model of her shoes because I have learned over the years that this is a very personal choice. But in my opinion, essential.

I started to develop heating on the side of my right foot. My brother, an experienced hiker living in the Stateside, suggested using Vaseline and Kleenex to prevent chafing. It worked perfectly.
Ummm- you do realise that in the post that you quoted, I was talking about my groin, not my feet?
I’m not knocking using Vaseline as part of your foot care regime (many do), my point was that it had never occurred to me to use it to prevent testicular chafing.

Ummm- you do realise that in the post that you quoted, I was talking about my groin, not my feet?
I’m not knocking using Vaseline as part of your foot care regime (many do), my point was that it had never occurred to me to use it to prevent testicular chafing.
Oh my my…did I mistake those parts of the body? I suggest you give me a kick in the rear end in order for me to wake up. As for testicular chaffing, I have taken a jock strap just in case.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I keep my days at 20-25 kms.
I am 70. I do the same. I have normally no problems, and I have walked many Caminos.

Remember, the farmacias along the Way have long (daily) experience with various pilgrim-related issues, so seek their help and advice if needed. Same with Centro Salud in larger places. If seriously troubled, take a bus/taxi to the nearest one. Then take a rest day or two.

Buen Camino!

After seven Caminos, or actually after my first two I've largely figured out a sock and trail shoe combo that eliminated my blister issue that plagued my first two walks.
I usually find after two weeks that I start to see signs of shin splints and a general aching of all the tendons in my feet. Basically from all the repetitive steps with a pack load from a daily half marathon or better of walking.
Usually a rest day or shorter days prevents it from becoming a real problem.
Also, I need to stay on top of hydration as I often don't drink as much water as I should.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Walking the Frances from St Jean to Santiago I got tendinitis. It came when I started on the Meseta and I am told that it tends to happen when you over extend and walk quickly. This indeed corresponded with a long section of flattish walking when I had reached the peak of my fitness. It got worse over the next few days and finally resolved after 20 days when I took advantage of the horses and rode up to O Cebrero then spent the rest of the day with my leg up. The same thing happened on the Podiensis. I was fine with trudging up and down steep hills but when the path flattened out and I gained my peak fitness and started to walk on the flats much quicker I got it again, but on the other leg. It got worse over several days and I even took a whole day of total rest but it made no difference. It finally resolved itself after a farmer put a Rhus balm on it two days before we finished in Cahors.
It didn't happen on the Japanese Kumano Kodo perhaps because there was nothing that wasn't steep up or steep down!
Apart from tendinitis I had a huge blister on the back of my heel that formed on the last week in Galacia and was caused by the pounding of foot on track over 700 kms and not from rubbing as I was wearing hiking sandals and this area wasn't being touched by anything.
In other words, expect to be in pain for much of your Camino and you won't be disappointed.

The camino is a pilgrimage.
A pilgrimage is a journey.
Take it slow on your journey.
Expect less injuries.
Buen Camino

I too find I get foot pain if I walk 30 Km plus a day so take Ibuprofen to stop them aching at night. I still keep walking 30 km if weather permits.

Most read last week in this forum

Yesterday I began stage one of my Camino Frances from SJPP to Léon! I finished at Roncesvalles after 9 hours of the challenging but absolutely gorgeous hike from SJPP. However the intensity of the...
What OTC meds can you get in Spain for GERD?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.