• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking to O Cebreiro from bus stop in Pedrafita do Cebreiro

cbaucom

Time of past OR future Camino
June, 2024
Has anyone taken the ALSA bus from Leon to Pedrafita d Cebreiro and then just walked the 4 km to O Cebreiro to begin their pilgrimage to Santiago there?
I am wondering about the bus ride and if the short walk from the bus stop is steep?
Thank you!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked it on a rather foggy March day. We traveled by train from Leon. Spent the night, then rode a bus from Ponferrada to Pedrafita de Cebreiro. Steep walk up a roadway with little or no traffic. Taxi would have been easier.

Frm

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
If you decide to take a taxi….call ahead! Sometimes there is a substantial wait because the taxis are limited in the area. So I would call from Ponferrada to pick you up about 15 minutes after the scheduled arrival time.

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
You came all that way to walk, and you take a cab? Puh-leeze. Start your walk at Piedrafita, where you get off the bus. It's a tough walk, but the scenery is knockout beautiful when the weather is good.
The OP is taking a bus from Ponferrada to Piedrafita and not climbing the segment to OCebreiro. OP is asking about climb up to O Cebreiro. Not everyone’s equipped to do a sustained hill walk. OCebreiro is a great place to start a camino!! Don’t we agree that where someone starts their Camino is a personal choice?

The OP is taking a bus from Ponferrada to Piedrafita and not climbing the segment to OCebreiro. OP is asking about climb up to O Cebreiro. Not everyone’s equipped to do a sustained hill walk. OCebreiro is a great place to start a camino!! Don’t we agree that where someone starts their Camino is a personal choice?
The walk up the hill along the road is NOT unsafe. There is a wide, marked pathway the entire length of it, and the scenic outlooks have places to sit down and enjoy. Only at the very finish do you have to walk a narrow bit, but I have never heard of anyone being hurt there. Fear-mongering does no one any good.

The OP said nothing about being unable to walk uphill. Piedrafita is a perfectly logical place to start walking the Camino. Along that cliffside road is where the local saint walked, on his way to O Cebreiro to witness a miracle.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am wondering about the bus ride and if the short walk from the bus stop is steep?
Thank you!
I do not know how you can definitively say one way or the other this person's preference on where he wants to start. Based on what the OP wrote he may actually walk to O'Cebreiro from the bus. In my own mind, there is nothing that @Rebekah Scott wrote that is inappropriate at all. At times I wonder (not for more than a second or two and then I say that is their problem) why some people walk as they are looking for the paths of least resistance. Through the deepest recesses of my soul, I believe a camino should be hard, should make virtually all of us struggle, and sacrifice. There should be some pain. With this brings a greater appreciation of the joys and insights and peace we are seeking.
The walk up the hill along the road is NOT unsafe. There is a wide, marked pathway the entire length of it, and the scenic outlooks have places to sit down and enjoy. Only at the very finish do you have to walk a narrow bit, but I have never heard of anyone being hurt there. Fear-mongering does no one any good.

In 2019 I was in O'Cebreiro with the idea of taking a rest day. When I got there a pilgrim friend I met was meeting another friend who was taking that bus the following day and then they planned on walking up that hill. A bar owner told me that it was a really pretty walk. So for my rest day I walked down to Piedrafita, met my friend and the three of us walked back up the hill. It was NOT dangerous at all. It was really pretty and for someone like me that isn't a big fan of hills I didn't find it that hard at all.

Last edited:
Hi, I did this last year after walking from Leon to Ponferreda as I needed to make up some time. It is a quiet road and plenty of room at the road side to be safe, but it is steep, and may be lonely. I didn't see anyone else on my walk up. That was fine for me, but I know some would struggle. It was very hot the day I walked and it is exposed to the sun with no where to stop so make sure you have plenty of water.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

The OP said nothing about being unable to walk uphill. Piedrafita is a perfectly logical place to start walking the Camino. Along that cliffside road is where the local saint walked, on his way to O Cebreiro to witness a miracle.
Well, we can respectfully disagree on whether the road is dangerous or not!? I have been on that road, when it was very busy and the taxis were racing up and down around the curbs! Fear-mongering😄 no… my experience!

But The statement, “ You came all that way to walk, and you take a cab? Puh-leeze.”??

The use of. “puh - leeze”:was unnecessary! Definition: “An exaggerated pronunciation and misspelling of "please," used to express exasperation , disdain, or incredulity” (according to the Free Dictionary)

I thought we were allowing people to decide for themselves about where they want to start? Taking a taxi to OCebreiro to start is perfectly fine for any reason! Many pilgrims have done it!

@cbaucom here is a video that might help you decide if it is for you.

Also, there are buses that leave several times a day that stop in O Cebreiro.
You could also overnight in Pedrafita OCebreiro take a morning bus up to OCebreiro and begin walking from there.

We tried to get a bus from Ponferrada to POC yesterday morning and it was full. We took a taxi from Ponferrada to Samos. It’s was 121 euros, and worth every penny. We had to cut some distance because we don’t have enough time off to make it all the way. We were in the lot of the bus station trying to figure out life. A taxi dang near ran over my feet. I tapped on the window and Bobs your uncle were in Samos.

Has anyone taken the ALSA bus from Leon to Pedrafita d Cebreiro and then just walked the 4 km to O Cebreiro to begin their pilgrimage to Santiago there?
Thank you!
In 2017 we walked up to O Cebreiro (age 66) with no difficulty in good weather. Yes it was a ton of uphill but you can pace yourself. If it were muddy or wet might be more difficult but it is not bad at all. So beautiful in places with some wonderful views. Do it if you can! There is also the option available to ride horses up the hill from Las Herrerias and have your bags carried up.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you!
There is a path up some of it to keep you off the road

I walked the student-marked trail on May 31 this year. There’s a large sign/map describing the route and project near the starting point on the southern side of town (if you’re standing in the bus shelter looking at the street, go a couple of blocks to the left, then slightly up the hill). I recommend taking a photo for reference as that’s the only map.

I found it to be extremely steep in places, and there are a couple of places where multiple paths cross that are not marked - I needed to check against satellite imagery on my maps app to figure out which to follow. Most of the route is adequately marked, so I wonder if those spots might have had signs originally that got knocked down. I don’t know if the school/students are continuing to maintain it.

bottom line, it was quite challenging to my flabby middle-aged fitness levels - among the top 10 hardest stretches mitigated by it being only 4-5k total - but worth the trip given that circumstances prevented me from taking the camino to O C.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Alternatively, you can carry on from Pedrafita do Cebreiro on the Vía Künig, following the trail of a 15th century German monk who wrote a best-selling guidebook to the Camino. He walked on to Lugo, mostly on the Roman road the Vía Antonino, and then took the Primitivo on to Santiago. Very pretty walk - I took the Vía Verde from Lugo to Sobrado do Monxes, on the Norte, taking in the glorious Visigothic wall paintings at Santa Eulalia (Santalla) de la Bóveda, highly recommended.

.IMG_20231122_114213.jpg

I agree, everyone gets to decide where he starts. But I stand by my own right to express exasperation, disdain, and incredulity at some of their decision-making. It's an open forum.
Do you actually know what went into the decision-making process of the OP wanting to start in OCebreiro? It is the OP’s first post on the Forum? Could it be that the person is physically unprepared, or medically unable to climb a steep hill? I don’t know? Maybe a time factor enters in? Is the person thinking that they might be jet lagged, having just arrived, taken a train, and a bus to get to Pedrafita and might potentially perceive a climb too much on that day? Do I even know when they are walking? Maybe they just hate steep hills? All I know is that the OP is planning or considering taking a bus from Leon to Pedrafita and Is wondering about the bus ride and if the short walk from the bus stop to OCebreiro is steep?

Last edited:
Thank you!

Welcome here! I see this is your first post.
Happy preparations.

You already noticed that replies to your question vary in content and style. Hope some of them are helpful and constructive for you.

If you have any other questions , please ask us and we will try to answer them.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
At times I wonder (not for more than a second or two and then I say that is their problem) why some people walk as they are looking for the paths of least resistance. Through the deepest recesses of my soul, I believe a camino should be hard, should make virtually all of us struggle, and sacrifice. There should be some pain. With this brings a greater appreciation of the joys and insights and peace we are seeking.
Sometimes what I may think is the path of least resistance, may, for someone else really be a life struggle! It is not my place, I believe, to advocate that someone else should ever, experience pain. That is up to the individual to discern. Perhaps walking the camino for some, is a desperately needed time of peace and relaxation? Perhaps struggle is not what they need then?! Personally, I do not seek out pain. Seeking out pain can sometimes be narcissistic…since it is about self. When life choices bring it my way, I certainly try and work through it. However, on any journey, I rather focus on good works….Talking to pilgrims who may be alone, inviting those alone to join us to break bread, buying a struggling pilgrim a meal or a bed, helping a pilgrim out to get home. Opportunities abound! On a recent journey leaving from EWR, a woman from another country (didn’t recognize the language) who was ahead of us on a fast food line, ordered a hero, and a drink. Bill was circa $21( Welcome to highway robbery). She didn’t have enough cash to cover it. But it didn’t matter, because, surprise, the establishment only took credit cards (no cash?!). They weren’t going to give her the food! So we payed her bill on our CC. She offered what cash she had in broken English. I said no,no, pay it forward to someone else when you get home. She thanked with tears.

I agree, everyone gets to decide where he starts. But I stand by my own right to express exasperation, disdain, and incredulity at some of their decision-making. It's an open forum.
It is indeed an open forum, but not open to all expressions of opinion. For example, rule #1 is not to be rude, sarcastic or insulting. I believe, while disagreement is certainly permitted, outright expressions of disdain for others are best avoided.

Sometimes what I may think is the path of least resistance, may, for someone else really be a life struggle! It is not my place, I believe, to advocate that someone else should ever, experience pain. That is up to the individual to discern. Perhaps walking the camino for some, is a desperately needed time of peace and relaxation? Perhaps struggle is not what they need then?! Personally, I do not seek out pain. Seeking out pain can sometimes be narcissistic…since it is about self. When life choices bring it my way, I certainly try and work through it. However, on any journey, I rather focus on good works….Talking to pilgrims who may be alone, inviting those alone to join us to break bread, buying a struggling pilgrim a meal or a bed, helping a pilgrim out to get home. Opportunities abound! On a recent journey leaving from EWR, a woman from another country (didn’t recognize the language) who was ahead of us on a fast food line, ordered a hero, and a drink. Bill was circa $21( Welcome to highway robbery). She didn’t have enough cash to cover it. But it didn’t matter, because, surprise, the establishment only took credit cards (no cash?!). They weren’t going to give her the food! So we payed her bill on our CC. She offered what cash she had in broken English. I said no,no, pay it forward to someone else when you get home. She thanked with tears.
I agree with you completely. Of course we will all experience some physical pain. The pain, struggle and difficulty that I think of is much more internal. One very minor example of this would have occurred last year. The final leg of my camino was on the coastal Portugues. A camino I have wanted to do for years. As others will heartily agree the weather was absolutely horrible. Day in and day out heavy and at times torrential rains. Walking in the woods at times I was anke deep in water and mud. I was worried about stepping in those sharp and protruding rocks, The ferry I needed to take was not running and having to figure out how I would continue. I wore raingear all day and my trail runners were always soaked through within a few minutes of my daily walk. But I could have cared less as my personal experiences I have had over many caminos had already given me a very valuable lesson and insight. Who cares if I just saw Noah's Ark, I am on the camino, where would I rather be.
I have walked with a dear friend who lost his daughter, a girl I knew her whole life. The pain he was in was unimaginable. But we walked so silently most of the time. I spent a great deal of my energy trying to feel his pain and some ilbegotin notion that maybe I could relieve it.
I also witnessed a very strange and for lack of a better word, incredible meeting occur. I was walking one day about 100 yards ahead of my friend when I looked back and saw him speaking to a pilgrim we had met the night before. I started to wait but something told me they wanted to walk alone. I left them alone and they waled together for 3 days. I only saw my friend at lunch and the evening. I found out after they split up that he too had lost a child and like my friend witnessed the event of their child's death. I never questioned my friend about any of the conversations. All he ever told me was he found someone who understood.
I also walked for 4 days with 2 women. I never heard, not even once, one woman speak. For some reason her friend and I developed this connection. She asked me to walk with them which I did as I quickly realized something was "wrong" with her friend. Her friend was at the end of her rope with the torment of losing her husband and three young daughters in an accident. If she found no solice it was over. That is what the woman told me. I walked with her to share her pain, her inner strife, her struggles.
Caminos pain and struggle can manifest very differently for different people, Thankfully my struggles, pain internal and external are no where near what these people have had to endure. But without my pain, and pain is pain and is not to be measured or compared, I would have stopped walking a long time ago.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you!
I walked it in early May. I was happy to do it. The first 2 km.were tough and then it was easy and stunning with great views. Walking on the road on the last stretch was safe and the road was quiet. I really enjoyed it this about 2 hour walk with rest stop to drink and take pictures. When in O cerebreo, dont forget to do the mass. It was one of the best services and pilgrim talk. Buen Camino

It is indeed an open forum, but not open to all expressions of opinion. For example, rule #1 is not to be rude, sarcastic or insulting. I believe, while disagreement is certainly permitted, outright expressions of disdain for others are best avoided.

No it isn't open to all expressions of opinion. I have had my wrists slapped several times.

Another problem with this is cultural. "They" don't share my sense of humour: don't even recognise it. Then there is the current woke fad, but I won't go there. Simple good manners should suffice.

I grew up in the 60s and 70s which was a very different world. Most of the popular comedy from those times would not be broadcast today. I doubt that I would find much of it funny today, but I did in the 60s and 70s.

But, back to the point, I walked up the hill to O'C, having taken a bus from Santiago for a second short Camino that year. A steepish climb, but not too bad. No problems with traffic, but this was a few years ago.

Most read last week in this forum

A short but pleasant article about a pilgrim’s experience on a guided Camino trip. Some nice pics. https://apple.news/A0DsWcRwMRPWU42vxrhl10g
Sign a little west of Pamplona:
Hey everyone… I just want to check with you about a very strange situation I just had… or there is an explanation for that… It was 11:15 am (10 min ago) and I was at La Portela de Vlacarce. Small...
Why do they put the kilometer markers where they do, for example 301.1 km, and as 300km was over an hours walk away, are these people messing with my mind
If you have given thought to begin or end your Camino in Barcelona--Tourist taxes and a ban on Short Term Rentals...
Dont question the why.. The reasons are a million or more than the stars in the sky Its simply you were needed"there" at that point in time and place Fate and destiny Shrug and sigh Whats it all...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back