• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from SJPP - Weather in May vs June?

Maxsmom

Planning first Camino in 2025
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2020)
Hello all, I'm planning to walk my first Camino in 2025 and am looking for advice re weather when crossing the mountains from SJPP. I'll be 71, going solo, and will be doing about 2 weeks, figuring about 12 km on average each day. Any advice re what weather to expect in May or June when climbing the Pyrenees? thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Can't give you any advice about weather ... that's much too far away. Rather, IMHO, you would be well served to plan and pack layers to accommodate hot weather, cold weather, dry weather, and wet weather, and any combination of those.

I think that you have a better chance of good weather in June, but there's no guarantee!
I've crossed from SJPdP twice in mid May, and had cold foggy weather on the 11th and 12th of May, and cold rain with thunder storms another year on the 14th and 15th of May. My track record for May crossings is not good!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The weather is totally impredictable in the mountains. Be prepared for everything, from cold weather (even some snow) to hot weather.

you'll not be climbing the Pyrenees, you'll be crossing some of the Western Pyrenean foothills. However it is still hill country, the weather can change in a day, even an hour, from summer to winter. I agree with @trecile that the odds are better (maybe the gods are kinder) in June but predicting weather? Check the forecast in the week before your venture. If it looks dodgy go via Valcarlos.

Whenever you go, look into reserving a bed at either Orisson or Borda to split up the first stage.

Both usually open their bookings for the following year around November.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I know ya didn't ask this, but: Plan to stay at the last Albergue before you start into the forest ...make reservations. Leave St J early am like 4-5am. Go slow. Rest up at the Albergue overnite and again leave early am 4-5am. Weather varies greatly, however, you imo picked a great time to begin. Bring gear for both heat, cold and rain. Once you reach St J IF its gonna be hot and dry for the next 2 days, forward your gear to Rocesvalles, IF its gonna be light rain and cold...etc. Its easy to forward your gear. IF its gonna be howling wind, rain, and generally bad weather...forward yourself to Roncesvalles.

BTW, NO one is alone on the Way. You will in short order be adopted, and adopt a Trail Family. Trust me on this.

One fun way to get real time weather reports from the past is to read through some "LIVE from the Camino" threads.

Click here:

Then look at sub-headers of:

Camino FRANCES

Then read through any thread for what that person had to say about those first days -- or any days for that matter. Not just weather of course but just about anything. You will learn a lot just going though those.

-------------------------------------------------
You can do the same thing through here:

then look for the yellow boxes which say "LIVE from the Camino" -- But there are a jillion threads to look through because that is EVERY Frances thread.

You can do the same thing for any route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
you'll not be climbing the Pyrenees, you'll be crossing some of the Western Pyrenean foothills. However it is still hill country, the weather can change in a day, even an hour, from summer to winter. I agree with @trecile that the odds are better (maybe the gods are kinder) in June but predicting weather? Check the forecast in the week before your venture. If it looks dodgy go via Valcarlos.
thanks for clarification about foothills vs mountains- helps to clarify the trek. I will be prepared but crossing fingers for good weather.Perhaps I have good karma- did 10 days of walking in England with no rain last fall...

One fun way to get real time weather reports from the past is to read through some "LIVE from the Camino" threads.

Click here:

Then look at sub-headers of:

Camino FRANCES

Then read through any thread for what that person had to say about those first days -- or any days for that matter. Not just weather of course but just about anything. You will learn a lot just going though those.

-------------------------------------------------
You can do the same thing through here:

then look for the yellow boxes which say "LIVE from the Camino" -- But there are a jillion threads to look through because that is EVERY Frances thread.

You can do the same thing for any route.
great idea, will do this!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Like many others, I did the Camino Francés and it was a life-defining experience. I still spend a great deal of time reading and thinking about Caminos, and dreaming of the next one. I'm curious...
I'm starting the camino on sept. 27 in Leon. I'm a bit apprehensive to start the journey alone. Are any other ladies going to be starting then also and want to walk that first leg? OR, are there...
Hello all, Been reading all your very valuable posts and advice for a few weeks now in anticipation of starting tomorrow! Can only get a portion of Francés done on this trip (probably as far as...
When we road walk in in Ireland we wear a High Visibility vest and are encouraged by law enforcement do so by their free distributing of them why so few Pilgrim seem to wear them when some road...
Hi. I'm starting at SJPDP on Thursday 12 September. Quite nervous as the weather has been rainy and misty and my biggest concern is spotting the signs.
Hi All, Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been on the Camino 3 times, but somehow I never ended up signing up for the forum. Glad to be part of this community. I live in Seattle and walked...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back