• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues and bikers.

Steven Dwyer

In another group that I moderate one of the members posted that when he arrived at the albergue in Tui, he was informed that bikers needed to wait until 7pm to check in. With the current traffic on the Central, that meant he wouldn’t be getting a bed. Since he mentioned that he wished someone would have said something in advance, thought I would share his experience here to alert others.

The late check-in policy was explained to me years ago by a wonderful hospitalero. Because bikers have the means to get to the next destination easier than a backpack laden pilgrim, the walker gets preference. Otherwise, the walkers least able to continue on foot are at a severe disadvantage. It was the same philosophy that applied pilgrims who had vehicle support.

I believe earlier versions of the credential may have mentioned this rule. The pilgrim office offers on their English version, “Groups organised with support car or by bicycle are requested to seek alternative shelter to the pilgrim hostels.” which doesn’t appear on the Spanish version, nor on the credential I purchased at the pilgrim office last year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In another group that I moderate one of the members posted that when he arrived at the albergue in Tui, he was informed that bikers needed to wait until 7pm to check in. With the current traffic on the Central, that meant he wouldn’t be getting a bed. Since he mentioned that he wished someone would have said something in advance, thought I would share his experience here to alert others.

The late check-in policy was explained to me years ago by a wonderful hospitalero. Because bikers have the means to get to the next destination easier than a backpack laden pilgrim, the walker gets preference. Otherwise, the walkers least able to continue on foot are at a severe disadvantage. It was the same philosophy that applied pilgrims who had vehicle support.

I believe earlier versions of the credential may have mentioned this rule. The pilgrim office offers on their English version, “Groups organised with support car or by bicycle are requested to seek alternative shelter to the pilgrim hostels.” which doesn’t appear on the Spanish version, nor on the credential I purchased at the pilgrim office last year.
Hopefully, Via de la Plata wont be too crowdy in April 🥺 My budget wont allow hôtel stays too often.

This has always been the way, since cycling became popular.. at least with the municipals, parochials etc. And it's a good, common sense rule, most walking pilgrims would agree. It's relatively easy to cycle on another few km or whatever. Not so easy to walk on when you're exhausted.

Of course, cyclists can always book a private albergue and arrive at whatever time suits them...

The problem is, many who can afford to spend, as is often evident.. still want the cheapest place to sleep.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hopefully, Via de la Plata wont be too crowdy in April 🥺 My budget wont allow hôtel stays too often.
I have done all my caminos by bike and have never been turned away to give walkers preference. The VdlP is very bike friendly, and the best choice for a bicigrino(a) in my opinion.

I have done all my caminos by bike and have never been turned away to give walkers preference. The VdlP is very bike friendly, and the best choice for a bicigrino(a) in my opinion.

I'm surprised to read this. I've never cycled on any camino myself, but have witnessed cyclists being asked to hang back lots of times on various routes.

I agree, the VDLP would be a good choice for cyclists. It also has a high proportion of unmanned municipal/parrochial albergues where preference wouldn't be an issue.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.

Most read last week in this forum

In another group that I moderate one of the members posted that when he arrived at the albergue in Tui, he was informed that bikers needed to wait until 7pm to check in. With the current traffic...
Hello. I’m currently walking (woman 56) from SJPDP to Santiago with my son (nearly 15) he wants to ride so I’m going to hire him a bike in Lagrono tomorrow. I need to work out if he follows a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back