• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • October the 12th 2004 I posted the first post here on this forum. 20 years have passed. Thank you for being such a good group of people and for hanging around. More here in this thread. All the best from Santiago, Ivar

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Walked the Camino over 12 times to Santiago never once went into Cathedral.

I was in the plaza today and it didn’t look as if “popping in” was an option. There were 2 long lines, front and side doors (one was extremely long, winding out into the plaza). We went to the tourist office though to validate completing the walk, and that was a breeze.
Yup. And if you go to the 7:30 am Mass or the 7:30pm Mass you'll find that all those fervent pilgrims are either still in bed or in the long, long queue for O Bispo.

You can also enter without hindrance or crowds when Mass has ended and the congregation has dispersed. You'll find that that very huggable statue doesn't take tea-breaks and that those bones are there 24/7.

For crowd dodgers: The mass times in 2024 are as follows:
07:30 a.m. High altar.
09:30 a.m. High altar.
12:00 p.m. High altar.
7:30 p.m. High altar.

Those who got past primary mathematics can probably work out when might be an opportune time to go and pay their respects

Last edited:
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
The only time I went inside I was shocked at the spectacle…during mass iphones held high, people filming, chatting, jostling each other for a better view. To me it was a big performance and didn’t feel sacred. Never went back. I now go to the mass at the pilgrim office if I feel like it. I sometimes visit the lovely sister upstairs in FcJ. I find spirituality walking the path, attending mass in small churches, and wxperiencing a glorious sunrise . The Cathedral is not a motive for me to walk a Camino. I walk other routes (non Caminos) and find the same spirituality. Some replies to the op have been judgmental imo. Someone tells him next time he should pray? Others say he misses whole point of the Camino. Really? What is happening to this community that we make such unkind comments. Is it no longer a safe place to share one’s thoughts?
Funny the most harsh and maybe verging on the offensive replies seem to come from veterans with a feeling of self-importance and sarcasm of their knowledge of the Camino.
Thankfully when I report they are withdrawn or changed moderators doing their job Màith thu.

Interesting topic of discussion and not sure what to say that hasn't already been said only to suggest to our pilgrim friend @MickMac that maybe like many of Us you're still on your Camino and when are you planning your 13th, 14th...?
I had a similar experience not walking from Finisterre out to the lighthouse and after 2 weeks discovering the town I answered the 'Call'. It was life changing and in my personal experience the Teacher appears when the student is ready🙏🏻
My wife is unwell at moment finding it hard to get away walked to muxia last year through Finisterre did not go to light house I am a strange individual.😔

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mentioning this topic to my wife who summed it up nicely "We'll that's just showing a lack of imagination".
I'm not sure whether she meant walking the same path over 12 times, (presumably that's 13), or no imagination and curiosity by missing the church.
Lack of imagination harsh and untrue.

Yup. And if you go to the 7:30 am Mass or the 7:30pm Mass you'll find that all those fervent pilgrims are either still in bed or in the long, long queue for O Bispo.

You can also enter without hindrance or crowds when Mass has ended and the congregation has dispersed. You'll find that that very huggable statue doesn't take tea-breaks and that those bones are there 24/7.

For crowd dodgers: The mass times in 2024 are as follows:
07:30 a.m. High altar.
09:30 a.m. High altar.
12:00 p.m. High altar.
7:30 p.m. High altar.

Those who got passed primary mathematics can probably work out when might be an opportune time to go and pay their respects
And here in little old Dublin it is an hour behind, depending which way you are looking. Last night, for example, the vigil mass for the great celebration of this date, (shh!) I tuned in at 18.30 for the 19.30 mass. The Botafumeiro was swinging away at the end of mass...

Mick, can you ignore your own thread? It could help you to not be bothered.
You do not need grief, specially if your wife is poorly. Try to keep clear of it for a wee while, and stay going, stay going.
Epic? Whenever! And I can tell you what happens to me when I hear the Irish version of announcements on the Luas! I know so little, and it can be quite hilarious trying to catch what is being announced!

I think you mean Oficina de Peregrinos when you write tourist office? Did you collect your Compostela after your pilgrimage ? In that case you were at the Oficina de Peregrinos.
Yes, we collected our certificate. I didn’t know the name of the office. 😞

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Walked the Camino to Santiago over 12 times now, never once did I go into the Cathedral. I was impressed by it's understated magnificent facade never felt a need to go in. I am not unreligious...
Me coming into the office this morning..
This is for anyone who has volunteered at the Pilgrim’s office. I have asked a few questions about doing this before but now it’s crunch time as I am flying to Santiago on October 20 to begin my...
Hi, I'm arriving in Santiago soon and was walking the Camino in memory of my parents who recently passed. Does anyone know if the office will allow more than one person to be added as "vicarie pro?"
Hi everyone! First-time pilgrim here, setting off on the Camino Finisterre starting October 26th. I’ll be spending the full day of October 25th in Santiago de Compostela and would love to know if...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back