• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Volunteering in Portugal

Harris

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 Frances, 2016 Portuguese
I have experienced Camino in both Spain(x2) and Portugal,(x2) and have completed the Hospitaliera training (in Canada.)
How do I apply to volunteer in an Albergue in Portugal?
Is there a central office to make application to?
Many thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is no central office or organization for all albergues on any route. Generally, once trained, you directly contact each one individually or make contact with organizations that manage a few of them (FICS, HosVol, Confraternity of St James, etc - please note that these are groups that mostly focus on the CF, not the CP). The organization who did your training may have a list of these contacts, so I would start there.

Just send this organisation an email. Can be done in English
Mind in Portugal de Caminho de Santiago is not that important as the Caminho d3 Fátima. Most Portuguese peregrinos walk to Fatima. Portuguese take the shortes way to Fatima. Sometimes they walk along motorways and N routes. They sleep in hotels, b&b’s etc.

It will be an advantage that you speak Portuguese .

When I walked my 5 caminhos from Portugal I remembered there where not much albergues in Portugal
We slept at the Bombeiros Voluntarios ( voluntairy fire brigades, ) a retraite house led by nuns , at the campus of a school and at a youth hostal.

Between Lisbon and Porto there was one commercial albergue in Sernadelo ( hostal Hilãrio)
Beyond Porto there are more albergues , municipal and privat.And they are more for peregrinos to Santiago

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I also did my Hospitaler@ training in Canada and our training facilitator supplied us with the names and contact information of those organizations that we could apply to. There weren’t many options in Portugal but he can also put you in touch with other Canadians who have volunteered in Portugal.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have experienced Camino in both Spain(x2) and Portugal,(x2) and have completed the Hospitaliera training (in Canada.)
How do I apply to volunteer in an Albergue in Portugal?
Is there a central office to make application to?
Many thanks.
I would contact the Via Lusitana. They are a Lisbon-based organization, responsible in large part for the establishment of the pilgrims’ office in Lisbon. They maintain contacts and a loose association with the pilgrim albergues up and down the route. You can fill out a form on this link

Or just send them an email to info@vialusitana.org

All of this can be done in English.

Most read last week in this forum

A short but pleasant article about a pilgrim’s experience on a guided Camino trip. Some nice pics. https://apple.news/A0DsWcRwMRPWU42vxrhl10g
Sign a little west of Pamplona:
Obviously a stamp can be obtained at a refugio, but where else? A list can be obtained of refugio locations, is their a list of locations where stamps can also be obtained? Thanks.
Can anyone tell me if it is worth it to visit the archaeological site near Atapuerca if I do not understand any spanish. I am cycling the camino so the extra few kilometres will not be an issue. I...
Why do they put the kilometer markers where they do, for example 301.1 km, and as 300km was over an hours walk away, are these people messing with my mind
If you have given thought to begin or end your Camino in Barcelona--Tourist taxes and a ban on Short Term Rentals...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.