• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Volunteering at Pilgrim’s Office in Santiago

Momwiz

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese 2019
I will be volunteering for 15 days at the Pilgrim’s Office in Santiago in late October . I understand that volunteers no longer fill out Compostela’s because a computer prints the names and information on them. With that said, who has volunteered there so far in 2024 and can tell me a little about what your duties were? I’m unsure about how many days out of the 15 I will actually be volunteering at the office and what exactly I will be doing there. After I got my initial acceptance, I have heard nothing more about what my duties will entail. Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Your duties as a volunteer will be the welcoming of pilgrims and giving them their compostela, as before. Even with much of the process automated, it is still a personal service.. it's a nice place to volunteer! I will be there myself in early October.

Your duties as a volunteer will be the welcoming of pilgrims and giving them their compostela, as before. Even with much of the process automated, it is still a personal service.. it's a nice place to volunteer! I will be there myself in early October.
Thank you for your prompt reply! My start date is October 22, so you will be finishing up right before me. Have you volunteered there before?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I may see you then

When will you be in Canfranc? I moved my dates around and will now be there about October 12. I am starting earlier than I expected.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will be volunteering for 15 days at the Pilgrim’s Office in Santiago in late October . I understand that volunteers no longer fill out Compostela’s because a computer prints the names and information on them. With that said, who has volunteered there so far in 2024 and can tell me a little about what your duties were? I’m unsure about how many days out of the 15 I will actually be volunteering at the office and what exactly I will be doing there. After I got my initial acceptance, I have heard nothing more about what my duties will entail. Thanks

Yes, the compostela, and distance certificate processing, are all computerized now.

When a pilgrim walks up to your counter, "hello, ola (Spanish), bonjour (French), bonjourno (Italian), hallo (German) then scan his/her bar code. The bar code will pull their data (names, starting place, etc) off the computer. Once the required stamps on the credencial are validated (minimum of two (2) on the last hundred (100) kilometers; two hundred (200) for bicigrinos (cyclists), the Compostela can be processed. No more handwriting names, dates, distance, etc.

Consequent to the computerization, the pilgrim's "Latin" name printed on the Compostela sometimes are not exactly the correct equivalent Latin name. Do not be surprised that pilgrims complain about their names as being wrong. Just remind them its in "Latin."

During your volunteering days at the Pilgrims Office, one day you work 9am to 2pm, then the next day 2pm to 7pm. The cycle repeats the following days. There is a bathroom just off the counters. Sometimes, if you arrive early in the morning, an office staff will let you in the Correo (post office) next door, and out in the evening after 7pm.

Volunteers at the Pilgrims Office stay gets a private room (I was told) at Albergue San Lazaro along with other volunteers. The albergue is about a 40-minute walk from the Pilgrims Office. Some volunteers take advantage of the local bus service. I stayed at Hospederia San Martin Pinario, a couple of blocks away. I did not mind paying (E26) private single room which comes with free breakfast buffet (E9 value) as I was not keen to walk 40 minutes one way.

Volunteers at the Pilgrims Office, receive a volunteer t-shirt and name tag. There are always permanent staff; experts and immensely knowledgeable; in the requirements in the issuing of compostela ready to answer any questions/situations like Luis (magician), Santi, Montse (Pilgrims Office Coordinator), Esther (Assistant Coordinator), and many others. (If you remember, please tell them "Jo Ramos" says "Ola y saludos," to them).

Last edited:
Yes, the compostela, and distance certificate processing, are all computerized now.

When a pilgrim walks up to your counter, "hello, ola (Spanish), bonjour (French), bonjourno (Italian), hallo (German) then scan his/her bar code. The bar code will pull their data (names, starting place, etc) off the computer. Once the required stamps are validated (minimum of two (2) on the last hundred (100) kilometers; two hundred (200) for bicigrinos (cyclists), the Compostela can be processed. No more handwriting names, dates, distance, etc.

Consequent to the computerization, the pilgrim's "Latin" name printed on the Compostela sometimes are not exactly the correct equivalent Latin name. Do not be surprised that pilgrims complain about their names as being wrong. Just remind them its in "Latin."

During your volunteering days at the Pilgrims Office, one day you work 9am to 2pm, then the next day 2pm to 7pm. The cycle repeats the following days. There is a bathroom just off the counters. Sometimes, if you arrive early in the morning, an office staff will let you in the Correo (post office) next door, and out in the evening after 7pm.

Volunteers at the Pilgrims Office stay gets a private room (I was told) at Albergue San Lazaro along with other volunteers. The albergue is about a 40-minute walk from the Pilgrims Office. Some volunteers take advantage of the local bus service. I stayed at Hospederia San Martin Pinario, a couple of blocks away. I did not mind paying (E26) private single room which comes with free breakfast buffet (E9 value) as I was not keen to walk 40 minutes one way.

Volunteers at the Pilgrims Office, receive a volunteer t-shirt and name tag. There are always permanent staff; experts and immensely knowledgeable; in the requirements in the issuing of compostela ready to answer any questions/situations like Luis (magician), Santi, Montse (Pilgrims Office Coordinator), Esther (Assistant Coordinator), and many others. (If you remember, please tell them "Jo Ramos" says "Ola y saludos," to them).
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I really appreciate it. Hi to Jose to stay at Saint Martin Pinario for the extra privacy. If there’s anything else you feel would be helpful for me to know as time goes by. Please post it as well. And I will surely tell your friends at the Pilgrim’s Office that you said, “Ola”!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I really appreciate it. Hi to Jose to stay at Saint Martin Pinario for the extra privacy. If there’s anything else you feel would be helpful for me to know as time goes by. Please post it as well. And I will surely tell your friends at the Pilgrim’s Office that you said, “Ola”!!
I just remembered, there is an excellent laundry place just off the way to the Pilgrims Office. They do laundry for nearby hotels but they let pilgrims use their machines. To get there, after going down the stairs from the incline from the Praza Obradoiro (cathedral), instead of turning right to head to the Pilgrims Office, go straight just a little bit where you will see a laundry sign on the right. The laundry place is also sort of a museum. Their machines really work well that by the time done drying your clothes, they're nice and toasty. Caution though, the laundry people do not allow public use of their bathroom. The nearest one is by the police station up the stairs to the right as you walk back to the cathedral.

There is also a popular restaurant along the right side to the Pilgrims Office. I think the name is "Tarara." It is among the Traveladvisor's highly rated restos.

Enjoy volunteering at the Pilgrims Office. Buen Camino.

I just remembered, there is an excellent laundry place just off the way to the Pilgrims Office. They do laundry for nearby hotels but they let pilgrims use their machines. To get there, after going down the stairs from the incline from the Praza Obradoiro (cathedral), instead of turning right to head to the Pilgrims Office, go straight just a little bit where you will see a laundry sign on the right. The laundry place is also sort of a museum. Their machines really work well that by the time done drying your clothes, they're nice and toasty. Caution though, the laundry people do not allow public use of their bathroom. The nearest one is by the police station up the stairs to the right as you walk back to the cathedral.

There is also a popular restaurant along the right side to the Pilgrims Office. I think the name is "Tarara." It is among the Traveladvisor's highly rated restos.

Enjoy volunteering at the Pilgrims Office. Buen Camino.
Once more, I appreciate all the great information you’re giving me! Thank you!

I was in Santiago a couple of weeks ago and I met a forum friend, @JennyH94, for dinner. I arrived a bit early and she was still busy at the pilgrim office before her shift ended, helping pilgrims. I think you will stay busy not twiddling your thumbs from what I observed before her shift was to end at 7:00pm.
I was actually surprised how busy it was since the names are now computerized and no longer hand written, and the office issuing Compostelas was going to close in a few more minutes for the day.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

When a pilgrim walks up to your counter, "hello, ola (Spanish), bonjour (French), bonjourno (Italian), hallo (German) then scan his/her bar code. The bar code will pull their data (names, starting place, etc) off the computer. Once the required stamps on the credencial are validated (minimum of two (2) on the last hundred (100) kilometers; two hundred (200) for bicigrinos (cyclists), the Compostela can be processed. No more handwriting names, dates, distance, etc.

Thanks for your explaining us .
I was volunteer there in 2022 and in the meantime was briefed by someone who was volunteer there earlier this year.
Except for the computerising of the handwriting of the Compostela’s there is no difference since 2022
Only as I remembered we had 4 hours shifts but the 5 hour’s shifts do not bother me. I loved the work at the counters , meeting happy pilgrims arrived in Santiago.
In 2022 I stayed in Hospedería San Martin Pineiro .
We had a close group. With some of them I am still in contact.
when I signed up earlier this year I was in contact with Montse Diaz and she confirmed my stay for september coming.
In 2022 it was the same and since the confirmation I did not hear anything but now and then I sent an e-mail if I had particular questions and they always were answered e.g by Santi .
I had a great time and looking forward to be there again.

I would like to know please how do you apply to be a volunteer at the Pilgrim office?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would like to know please how do you apply to be a volunteer at the Pilgrim office?

Hello please could you let me know how to apply to be a volunteer at the Pilgrim office?
The following links should help in volunteering to the Pilgrims Office or Pilgrims House in SDC. Note though that the application form is in Spanish.

Here are the translations of the required information according to the sequence in the form:
email: duh, etcetc@whateveremalprovider.com
Appellidos; Last Name
Nombre: Name
Ano de naciento: Birth Year
Nacionalidad: Nationality
Provincia o region y localidad: State and/or city
¿Has sido peregrino anteriormente?: Have you been a pilgrim before? Si/Yes
¿Qué caminos has hecho?: What/which paths/caminos have you done?
Si has si has hospitalero o voluntario alguna vez indica dónde: If you have ever been a hospitalero or volunteer, where?
¿Dónde te gustaría hacer el voluntariado? (Puedes marcar las dos opciones si lo deseas):
Where would you like to volunteer? (You can check both options if you wish)

¿Qué idiomas hablas?: What languages do you speak? (Spanish, English, French, German, Italian, others
¿De qué periodo de tiempo dispones para hacer el voluntariado en 2024?: What period of time do you have to volunteer in 2024? (You available volunteering dates)

For further questions/concerns, pose them on the above links. I am sure Montse Diaz or her Assistant will promptly respond. Buen Camino.

Hello Joramos. I’ve got two Compostela both with my name in Latin and both are different names.
The hand written were a lot better.

Thanks for your explaining us .
I was volunteer there in 2022 and in the meantime was briefed by someone who was volunteer there earlier this year.
Except for the computerising of the handwriting of the Compostela’s there is no difference since 2022
Only as I remembered we had 4 hours shifts but the 5 hour’s shifts do not bother me. I loved the work at the counters , meeting happy pilgrims arrived in Santiago.
In 2022 I stayed in Hospedería San Martin Pineiro .
We had a close group. With some of them I am still in contact.
when I signed up earlier this year I was in contact with Montse Diaz and she confirmed my stay for september coming.
In 2022 it was the same and since the confirmation I did not hear anything but now and then I sent an e-mail if I had particular questions and they always were answered e.g by Santi .
I had a great time and looking forward to be there again.
I am so delighted that I started this thread! I have heard all of the suggestions from you lovely people and I’m open to hearing much more about what to expect during my time volunteering at the Pilgrim’s office. Thank you all so much. 🙏

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hello Joramos. I’ve got two Compostela both with my name in Latin and both are different names.
The hand written were a lot better.
Yes, the handwritten one is probably the most accurate and the most correct Latin translation of your name. Whoever did the handwritten one was immensely knowledgeable of Latin names. I believe the Latin translation is still constantly reviewed and updated in the computer database. Ultreia pilgrim.

The following links should help in volunteering to the Pilgrims Office or Pilgrims House in SDC. Note though that the application form is in Spanish.

Here are the translations of the required information according to the sequence in the form:
email: duh, etcetc@whateveremalprovider.com
Appellidos; Last Name
Nombre: Name
Ano de naciento: Birth Year
Nacionalidad: Nationality
Provincia o region y localidad: State and/or city
¿Has sido peregrino anteriormente?: Have you been a pilgrim before? Si/Yes
¿Qué caminos has hecho?: What/which paths/caminos have you done?
Si has si has hospitalero o voluntario alguna vez indica dónde: If you have ever been a hospitalero or volunteer, where?
¿Dónde te gustaría hacer el voluntariado? (Puedes marcar las dos opciones si lo deseas):
Where would you like to volunteer? (You can check both options if you wish)

¿Qué idiomas hablas?: What languages do you speak? (Spanish, English, French, German, Italian, others
¿De qué periodo de tiempo dispones para hacer el voluntariado en 2024?: What period of time do you have to volunteer in 2024? (You available volunteering dates)

For further questions/concerns, pose them on the above links. I am sure Montse Diaz or her Assistant will promptly respond. Buen Camino.
Thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, the handwritten one is probably the most accurate and the most correct Latin translation of your name. Whoever did the handwritten one was immensely knowledgeable of Latin names. I believe the Latin translation is still constantly reviewed and updated in the computer database. Ultreia pilgrim.

Finding a name in the computer in the seventh case of the Latin language as I am right, was no problem at all .All Christian names were present there.If I could not find a name just gave in the original name.

The seventh case -I think in Medieval English cases were regular in spoken and written language. In German they are still used, in Dutch they disappeared after World War 2
In Latin your name is a part of the text My Dutch name is Albert but in context of the Compostela is Albertum. Peter will be Petrum and John will be Ioanum
Mary will be Mariam. And so forth. I liked the handwriting.

I liked to meet the people of the world at my desk. When we had time we talked about their camino , where they came from. What was next etc.
And I could use my knowledge of the six languages I learned during my life and they were surprised somebody behind the desk spoke their language.

A nice experience to know was a group of Spanish Military came with their dogs and they told me it was possible to obtain a kind of Compostela for their dogs Not at the Pilgrims Office by the way.

And on my way to Santiago, flying to Porto Portugal , I always stay a couple of nights at Casa da Fernanda in Portugal where I meet the pilgrims on their way to Santiago.
About 8 til 10 days after, I met them again at my desk and wrote their names in my finest handwriting at their deserved Compostelas. Memorias felizes Happy memories

Last edited by a moderator:

That’s funny about the ‘Latin’ names, my Compostela says my name is Joannam, I don’t know how they got that from Jenny and I met someone called Hannah who was given the same Latin name. I was just delighted to receive it, what’s in a name.🙃

That’s funny about the ‘Latin’ names, my Compostela says my name is Joannam, I don’t know how they got that from Jenny and I met someone called Hannah who was given the same Latin name. I was just delighted to receive it, what’s in a name.🙃
Joannam is the Latinized version of Jenny. I can't tell you how many people come back and say "You've misspelled my name" even after you point out that the computer prints their first name in Latin.

You'll have a FABULOUS time in the PO. It's like all of the emotions of the Camino coming at you through a firehose. You'll get to hold the hand of someone who tears up as you write in the name of a loved one who has passed on (you can dedicate a Compostela to someone else), and cheer for those who are beyond elated at finishing, and smile knowingly as someone says to you "I'm sorry that I'm crying...I'm not sure why I'm crying." If you have any questions about housing or daily details, send me a message.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Joannam is the Latinized version of Jenny. I can't tell you how many people come back and say "You've misspelled my name" even after you point out that the computer prints their first name in Latin.

You'll have a FABULOUS time in the PO. It's like all of the emotions of the Camino coming at you through a firehose. You'll get to hold the hand of someone who tears up as you write in the name of a loved one who has passed on (you can dedicate a Compostela to someone else), and cheer for those who are beyond elated at finishing, and smile knowingly as someone says to you "I'm sorry that I'm crying...I'm not sure why I'm crying." If you have any questions about housing or daily details, send me a message.
I will certainly have more questions! Thank you!

Joannam is the accusative case of Joanna. Your name in Latin is Joanna (Ionna, in classical Latin).

I expected to see Franciscus, the Latin form of my own name, on my compostela, so I was surprised to see Franciscum printed instead.

Somehow, despite the exhaustion of having - stupidly - walked 40km the final day, my muscle memory of learning Latin as a teenager at school in Ireland kicked in, and I remembered: dominus...domini...domino...dominum!

Accusative!

I will certainly have more questions! Thank you!
Someone mentioned walking 40 minutes from the housing for volunteers to the office every day. If you ask, Montse will give you a bus pass to use. There’s a bus stop right in front of the volunteer housing. I preferred walking to and from the PO because you get to walk the last bit of the Camino with the incoming pilgrims. It’s pretty cool. Also, there are several grocery stores along the way, so you can do your shopping on the way “home.” The group I volunteered with got along well and we would have often have communal meals at night. Another highlight of volunteering.

Someone mentioned walking 40 minutes from the housing for volunteers to the office every day. If you ask, Montse will give you a bus pass to use. There’s a bus stop right in front of the volunteer housing. I preferred walking to and from the PO because you get to walk the last bit of the Camino with the incoming pilgrims. It’s pretty cool. Also, there are several grocery stores along the way, so you can do your shopping on the way “home.” The group I volunteered with got along well and we would have often have communal meals at night. Another highlight of volunteering.
Thank you Kasee. For many different reasons, I’ve made housing reservations at St. Martin Pinario but I certainly can understand the joy of walking with pilgrims on their way to the cathedral. I also hope to develop some relationships with the people I volunteer with… That would be a plus!

What a great thing to do. I can’t tell you what your duties will be but I will share my encounter with one of the volunteers from the pilgrim’s office!
I finished my first Camino last month and after savouring my moments in front of the cathedral I was reluctant to head to the pilgrims office as it really meant it was the end of my journey… such a bittersweet reality.
As I walked down the road to the office, I turned back to take a last look at the cathedral with the sun shining behind it and somehow I tripped backwards and fell over like a turtle stuck on its back 😆 ( I had just walked for 10 days without one accident and now I do this!!!!!)
Anyone that was nearby came over to help me up. However, one older man really checked thoroughly with me to make sure I was ok and he was so kind I started to cry. He was so lovely and told me he volunteered at the Pilgrim office and would walk me down there personally.
He showed me what to do and said when my number came up to make sure to see him so he could stamp my credential and issue me with my compostela. And that he did! We chatted for a while and as I turned to leave the desk I tried to catch his name from the name badge. It was Raphael. Just like the angel. I will never forget him!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for this information. How does one apply to volunteer at an Albergue in Portugal? (I do have the Hospitaliera credential).
Many thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

As I understand, the pilgrim has no longer any control over the latin version of his/her name? I am asking because I always asked for my latin name to be Celestina, because that is my chosen name for medieval living history that I do.

As I understand, the pilgrim has no longer any control over the latin version of his/her name? I am asking because I always asked for my latin name to be Celestina, because that is my chosen name for medieval living history that I do.
You can actually ask the permanent Pilgrims Office staff to access the computer database to either change or adjust the name translation, or use what you believe is your Latin name of Celestina. I have seen it done when I was a volunteer at the Pilgrims Office. Buen Camino.

You can actually ask the permanent Pilgrims Office staff to access the computer database to either change or adjust the name translation, or use what you believe is your Latin name of Celestina. I have seen it done when I was a volunteer at the Pilgrims Office. Buen Camino.
I am glad to hear that, thank you!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

A short but pleasant article about a pilgrim’s experience on a guided Camino trip. Some nice pics. https://apple.news/A0DsWcRwMRPWU42vxrhl10g
Sign a little west of Pamplona:
Hey everyone… I just want to check with you about a very strange situation I just had… or there is an explanation for that… It was 11:15 am (10 min ago) and I was at La Portela de Vlacarce. Small...
Why do they put the kilometer markers where they do, for example 301.1 km, and as 300km was over an hours walk away, are these people messing with my mind
If you have given thought to begin or end your Camino in Barcelona--Tourist taxes and a ban on Short Term Rentals...
Dont question the why.. The reasons are a million or more than the stars in the sky Its simply you were needed"there" at that point in time and place Fate and destiny Shrug and sigh Whats it all...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.