Search 74,075 Camino Questions

VdlP A66 alt route.

JamesG

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Del Norte 2022,
Camino Portugese 2023
I’m in Salamanca planning the next few days on the VDLP. Looking to take the alternative route from Montamarta to Tabara on A66. Any +/- feedback on this route from those who have taken this path.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’m in Salamanca planning the next few days on the VDLP. Looking to take the alternative route from Montamarta to Tabara on A66. Any +/- feedback on this route from those who have taken this path.
James, I think you have misread your map. The A66 is an autovia, and it definitely doesn’t go to Tabara! So, we’re talking about the N632, I believe. I have taken that route once, on my bike. I found it to be a very busy highway, with a lot of fast-moving truck traffic. Not at all pleasant. And furthermore, I’m not aware of any track alongside it. The VdlP route from Granja, on the other hand, although much further,has a lot to recommend it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good road surface. Quiet most of the time. Long straight stretches. Accommodation is the issue. Stopped at a Posdada Rural in Ferreras de Abajo but there is only one bar there.

Off the N-631 the roads are quieter but you do get the occasional heavy traffic in front of you.

Attachments

• N-631 towards Tabara.webp
    N-631 towards Tabara.webp
    606.7 KB · Views: 1
  • N-631 away from Tabara.webp
    N-631 away from Tabara.webp
    598.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Cows in road.webp
    Cows in road.webp
    523.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I walked both routes walking along the 631 was not very nice. Walking "The two other sides of the triangle" will take a stage more but it is was far more beautifull

Good road surface. Quiet most of the time. Long straight stretches. Accommodation is the issue. Stopped at a Posdada Rural in Ferreras de Abajo but there is only one bar there.
I’m amazed that you found it quiet. It occurred to me that all the trucks were making a short-cut to the autovia heading west.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And I remember there was only a small or even no shoulder on the 631 ( on the 630 it was much broader)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, well my plans are starting to get there. After a couple of days in Granada, Cordoba and Seville, I am hoping to leave Seville 3rd March. I know the weather can be iffy. What concerns me if...
Hi everyone; after completing the Salvador last week I was seeking a short route and picked the end of the Sanabrés from Ourense (new to me). Loving it. Staying in the very clean and comfy Xunta...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back