• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Type of bike for Camino Francés

Time of past OR future Camino
We are going to bike it the first time, sorry (but we are mindful of walkers :)). If there are any folks w biking experience…we are trying to settle the pedal assist e-bike or mountain bike options. We are in good health. Starting point is Frances at border (estimated according to the experienced at about 14 days.). Some days we think e-bikes are too much trouble (we have them at home), other days mountain bikes might not be enough. Very much welcome anyone’s thoughts, experiences, direction, even a haiku. We are puzzled 🙂

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We are going to bike it the first time, sorry (but we are mindful of walkers :)). If there are any folks w biking experience…we are trying to settle the pedal assist e-bike or mountain bike options. We are in good health. Starting point is Frances at border (estimated according to the experienced at about 14 days.). Some days we think e-bikes are too much trouble (we have them at home), other days mountain bikes might not be enough. Very much welcome anyone’s thoughts, experiences, direction, even a haiku. We are puzzled 🙂
No need to apologise for wishing to do the camino by bike /e-bike, you have every bit as much right to do so as I do to walk!

There are regrettably a few people who feel rather negatively about ebikes, please don't let any of their comments affect you or detract from your experience.

You have e-bike experience, so you know how to use them properly, which removes the safety concerns some have about them. I presume you have read the various threads under 'Bicycling on the Camino' sub forum, and you are probably aware but Efren Gonzalez also did the camino with an e-bike (I think just last year?) with corresponding videos of course

Buen Camino!

A mountain bike will be plenty for your Camino. I rode the VDLP on a mountain bike and didn’t need more! IMHO you’ll have much greater satisfaction riding a traditional mountain bike rather than a pedal assist e-bike. If obtaining compostela is important to you, then the pedal assisted bike will disqualify you.

Biking is not an easy way to do a Camino, but, just like walkers, train for your ride and you’ll do just fine. Some days will be relatively flat, others through the rolling countryside of Spain. Plus, a few good climbs thrown in! 14 days of riding sounds just about right. Two stages a day gives you plenty of riding plus the opportunity to smell the roses and arrive pretty fresh at your daily destination. My other piece of advice riding the CF, don’t pick the busiest time of year on the Camino with regard to walkers.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I did the Portuguese and Francaise on a mountain bike and the Norte and Primitivo on an ebike. I actually finished the Primitivo yesterday. I was 10 years younger and fitter perhaps but I can’t see me doing the latter two on a mountain bike. It was much more enjoyable and I still had to work hard in places. I just charged the bike overnight which was enough as was very thrifty on battery usage. After the second Camino on a mountain bike I had decided not to do any more as it was too much like hard work rather than a holiday but thanks to e-bikes I’m enjoying the caminos again!

Interesting, because it's difficult to answer these sort of open ended questions without more information. Age, experience, are you 100km roadies or 40km trail riders? The CF can be ridden pretty well on anything with wheels, imo an ebike is overkill, there's nothing difficult on this Camino.

@michelle grech I'd be interested to read about your experience on the Primitivo, it's my next ride in a week's time. Hoping it lives up to its reputation. Richard

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Interesting, because it's difficult to answer these sort of open ended questions without more information. Age, experience, are you 100km roadies or 40km trail riders? The CF can be ridden pretty well on anything with wheels, imo an ebike is overkill, there's nothing difficult on this Camino.

@michelle grech I'd be interested to read about your experience on the Primitivo, it's my next ride in a week's time. Hoping it lives up to its reputation. Richard

It’s a wild path especially the first 3 stages including the hospitales stretch. We pushed a lot but the experience being up there is amazing. I wouldn’t have managed without an ebike. Loved the remoteness of it all and very few pilgrims compared to the francaise. We did it in 7 days. Also took the Verde from Lugo. I would not recommend this for bikers as there are steps to climb. Lots of technical riding required throughout. A beautiful path nonetheless.

No need to apologise for wishing to do the camino by bike /e-bike, you have every bit as much right to do so as I do to walk!

There are regrettably a few people who feel rather negatively about ebikes, please don't let any of their comments affect you or detract from your experience.

You have e-bike experience, so you know how to use them properly, which removes the safety concerns some have about them. I presume you have read the various threads under 'Bicycling on the Camino' sub forum, and you are probably aware but Efren Gonzalez also did the camino with an e-bike (I think just last year?) with corresponding videos of course

Buen Camino!

Yes and thank you for your advice! I will look up Efren's videos!

It’s a wild path especially the first 3 stages including the hospitales stretch. We pushed a lot but the experience being up there is amazing. I wouldn’t have managed without an ebike. Loved the remoteness of it all and very few pilgrims compared to the francaise. We did it in 7 days. Also took the Verde from Lugo. I would not recommend this for bikers as there are steps to climb. Lots of technical riding required throughout. A beautiful path nonetheless.
Awesome and thanks for your feedback!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

We are in good shape, but not "super bikers". We have friends that do the 100mi stuff in short times, we are wanting to move from stop to stop, and enjoy this visit. Looking forward to meeting other travelers too!

A mountain bike will be plenty for your Camino. I rode the VDLP on a mountain bike and didn’t need more! IMHO you’ll have much greater satisfaction riding a traditional mountain bike rather than a pedal assist e-bike. If obtaining compostela is important to you, then the pedal assisted bike will disqualify you.

Biking is not an easy way to do a Camino, but, just like walkers, train for your ride and you’ll do just fine. Some days will be relatively flat, others through the rolling countryside of Spain. Plus, a few good climbs thrown in! 14 days of riding sounds just about right. Two stages a day gives you plenty of riding plus the opportunity to smell the roses and arrive pretty fresh at your daily destination. My other piece of advice riding the CF, don’t pick the busiest time of year on the Camino with regard to walkers.
Thank you! Is the Sept-Oct timeframe ok? Or avoid?

I have a friend who did it with e-bike assist and she basically said that it makes all the difference on some of "well known ascends"
So there you have it

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sounds like a good Camino to ride and the Verde as an alternative to the CF from Lugo to Santiago. Thanks

Everyone has a right to their opinion but just in the interest of transparency there are many who share my belief that e-bikes should not be allowed anywhere near a camino (of course I have to exclude Spanish citizenry who pay the taxes to allow the camino to exist), I wish they would not be allowed to sleep in albergues but of course that probably can't be dictated by any but the Spanish or provincial governments. Finally for the life of me I have no idea why any sort of certificate should be given to a rider of any type of conventional bike. This last part about conventional bikes is just my personal feeling and I have no idea how many agree with me.
This was not meant to incite, just my opinion which is probably only important to a huge group of people, namely only 1.
If there are those of you who would like to tell me what a jerk I am, one of my credos in life is, I couldn't give a rat's a@@ss what you think, it is not going to change what I think, nor do I want to change what you think.

If you plan to take the e-bikes from home please check that an airline is willing to accept your size of bike battery.

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
We did it last year using gravel bikes it gives the best of both road and off road . We doing another stage this year in September.

Yes and thank you for your advice! I will look up Efren's videos!
Keep in mind that now there are quit a few sections where the paths have deteriorated since he made those videos . It’s been a wet winter and the rain run off has made some sections very rutted and exposed more rocks . We did it in April . It took us 13 days on E-bikes and remember you don’t always need to have the peddle assistance on . We only used it on the hardest steeper sections and believe me there are a few . We ride the Yorkshire Dales off road all the time but it we were still surprised how hard some of the Camino Frances was in places. Happy riding

Attachments

• IMG_9988.jpeg
    IMG_9988.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Hola,
We are 3/4 cycling the CDN on normal MTB in our 60's and are managing. I believe Frances is relatively flat so should be a doddle with non-ebike. Your biggest worry will be negotiating the walkers, so bring a hooter.
ps we have Bern spinning for 12 years so have pretty good fitness.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I rode the Frances early in the season in 2016 on a mountain bike. I was in my early 60s on a MTB (basic mountain bike) and only had to walk the bike for small sections of the steepest sections. Experience wise, I was a regular rider at home but not super fit by any means. I respectfully used the walking path and always rang my bell as I approached pilgrims who appreciated the notice or got off and walked for a while. Hope my details provides some guidance for you.

I rode a mountain bike on my first CF and never hope to do that again! I am a cyclist and bike hiker in US, and follow bike rules of etiquette. I learned within an hour I did not enjoy waiting for groups of walkers to move aside, and they certainly did not want me there. I rode the roads as much as possible thereafter. If you bike, stay off the pilgrim path. 11 walking caminos since; I would never consider an ebike, and only a conventional bike in event of serious injury.

I have biked much but not all of the Camino Francés, so I can note a few details.
  • There are sections wide enough that cars can and do use them.
  • There are sections where vegetation will brush both your legs.
  • There are slopes where you will need brakes to avoid dangerous speeds. (One place where I would have learned to fly if I didn’t brake and steer quickly!)
  • I had to walk up to Alto del Perdón (even though I was able to pedal up a 14% grade elsewhere)
  • To descend from Alto del Perdón, skip the trail and take the highway—and you’ll need brakes on that!
  • Announce your approach to walkers loudly, but expect some of them to not hear you.
  • If a dog chases you, get off and face it. Most will back off, but for the rare (censored) use the bike as a shield. (I encountered only friendly ones in Spain, but others have complained. (I learned “most will back off if you face them” after being bitten from behind three times in Perú. “Most” because one didn’t and needed the “board of education.”)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I rode the Camino last year. Hard tail with disc brakes and a rack for your gear will be sufficient. The bike is less important than the mileage you intend to cover. Your mileage will be impacted by weather and the number of people on the trail. I’d also encourage you to walk some stretches. Reach out to me directly and I can share more details if you are interested.

Hi
I've just finished cycling from Suffolk to Santiago a six week trip. I used a cube touring bike. Stuck to the roads most of the time and carried all my kit in two saddle panniers. I'm 65 and managed it OK.

Good luck

If there are those of you who would like to tell me what a jerk I am, one of my credos in life is, I couldn't give a rat's a@@ss what you think, it is not going to change what I think, nor do I want to change what you think.
It is one thing to have strong opinions. I have them too and often express them. It is a different thing to brag about not being willing to change an opinion. I'm sorry you don't have the willingness to see misconceptions, past wrongs, or mistaken idea and learn from them. It is a very empowering experience to change and grow. And yes, I recognize the irony of trying to change the mindset of someone who is proud they are unwilling to listen to someone else's experience and perspective and learn/adapt their thinking from that.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is one thing to have strong opinions. I have them too and often express them. It is a different thing to brag about not being willing to change an opinion. I'm sorry you don't have the willingness to see past wrongs and mistakes and learn from them. It is a very empowering experience to change and grow. And yes, I recognize the irony of trying to change the mindset of someone who is proud they are unwilling to listen to someone else's experience and perspective and learn/adapt their thinking from that.
I agree it is important to have an open mind about things. But to me there is nothing open minded about being hit by an e-bike that is speeding along. There are so many places to ride your motorized bike that does not endanger others. When it comes to receiving a Compostela I personally don’t think that riding a bike on a highway or
Dirt path means a whole lot.
We all have definitions of pilgrimage and spirituality.
I have never heard a rational for a cyclist riding on a Camino pathway that has changed my mind.
I too find it sad for you that you think you have the wisdom and insight to assume you know how open or closed my mind is to new ideas or arguments that may change me. Pretty audacious of you to make these broad assumptions about a person you have never even laid your eyes on. So I guess we are both sad creatures.
Finally may I add one final thing. You make some pretty HUGE assumptions that I am proud of bragging about what I feel. Can you offer any proof of my pride???? Or the mode and my willingness to learn and grow????? Could you please offer some insight to me so I can grow into the person you would like me me to be. For all your criticism of me boils down to one huge judgement. So sad you live your life judging the thoughts and perceived feelings and opinions of those you do not know. 😔

Last edited:
Everyone has a right to their opinion but just in the interest of transparency there are many who share my belief that e-bikes should not be allowed anywhere near a camino (of course I have to exclude Spanish citizenry who pay the taxes to allow the camino to exist), I wish they would not be allowed to sleep in albergues but of course that probably can't be dictated by any but the Spanish or provincial governments. Finally for the life of me I have no idea why any sort of certificate should be given to a rider of any type of conventional bike. This last part about conventional bikes is just my personal feeling and I have no idea how many agree with me.
This was not meant to incite, just my opinion which is probably only important to a huge group of people, namely only 1.
If you don't want to change what we think and don't give a rat's arse what we think then why bother getting into a lather about it and posting here? However, you are correct about your opinion not mattering.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you don't want to change what we think and don't give a rat's arse what we think then why bother getting into a lather about it and posting here? However, you are correct about your opinion not mattering.
A. I have just as much right to post as anyone and maybe I like to hear myself talk. Not caring is just my reaction and feelings about some people on this forum who are very closed minded in their open minded and inclusive, give me a hug kind of way. 2. As I told someone else who basically wrote what you did. It is quite a leap of faith you take to state conclusively what I think or don’t think. Even better knowing what would be evidence to make me change a feeling or thought.
Pretty judge mental of you wouldn’t you say???? I will let you be the judge of that. Finally as you said my opinion doesn’t matter makes me Ilook forward to the day when we can meet and we can discuss this given we will be in the same boat! Buen Camino

I agree it is important to have an open mind about things. But to me there is nothing open minded about being hit by an e-bike that is speeding along. There are so many places to ride your motorized bike that does not endanger others. When it comes to receiving a Compostela I personally don’t think that riding a bike on a highway or
Dirt path means a whole lot.
We all have definitions of pilgrimage and spirituality.
I have never heard a rational for a cyclist riding on a Camino pathway that has changed my mind.
I too find it sad for you that you think you have the wisdom and insight to assume you know how open or closed my mind is to new ideas or arguments that may change me. Pretty audacious of you to make these broad assumptions about a person you have never even laid your eyes on. So I guess we are both sad creatures.
Finally may I add one final thing. You make some pretty HUGE assumptions that I am proud of bragging about what I feel. Can you offer any proof of my pride???? Or the mode and my willingness to learn and grow????? Could you please offer some insight to me so I can grow into the person you would like me me to be. For all your criticism of me boils down to one huge judgement. So sad you live your life judging the thoughts and perceived feelings and opinions of those you do not know. 😔
Some of you seem to forget this is a religious pilgrimage!!!!! So I’m shocked and saddened by some of the intolerant views. Also your comment on “. There are so many places to ride your motorized bike that does not endanger others. ! “. You need to do some research. E bikes here in Europe are restricted. They do not have a twist and go and only offer assistance when the power is on and your peddling up to 15.5 mph when the electric assist automatically turns off . They are no faster than a normal bicycle. The only cyclists we saw that were riding irresponsible on the Camino were clearly locals on mountain bikes with no luggage. You come across as very “ un Christian like in your views . Remember ‘ If God was one of us ‘ just a stranger on his bicycle riding the Camino!!! The route is for all pilgrims whether they be on foot , bicycle or horseback.

Some of you seem to forget this is a religious pilgrimage!!!!! So I’m shocked and saddened by some of the intolerant views. Also your comment on “. There are so many places to ride your motorized bike that does not endanger others. ! “. You need to do some research. E bikes here in Europe are restricted. They do not have a twist and go and only offer assistance when the power is on and your peddling up to 15.5 mph when the electric assist automatically turns off . They are no faster than a normal bicycle. The only cyclists we saw that were riding irresponsible on the Camino were clearly locals on mountain bikes with no luggage. You come across as very “ un Christian like in your views . Remember ‘ If God was one of us ‘ just a stranger on his bicycle riding the Camino!!! The route is for all pilgrims whether they be on foot , bicycle or horseback.
A. I am not a Christian. I was born and practice another religion so sorry about that.
B. There are plenty of people who comment that are from other countries and if there are lots of restrictions about the use of Ebikes that must speak volumes for the safety of others who are walking. If you get hit by an Ebike at 15k an hour that could inflict major, major damage,
I am well aware of what pilgrimage means and the importance of solitude and self reflection. Worrying about cyclist not paying attention on a conventional bike or worse yet a heavy ebike can disturb ones contemplative state. You may have seen instances that only locals have been rude or dangerous in their riding habits. That is ONLY your experience. I have walked 8 different Caminos and have walked well over 8,000k on my caminos. This year will be number 9 and I will come close to 10,000K when I am done. So I guess you can say I have a little knowledge and experience with Pilgrimage. There have been far more situations when I have been come up on dangerously by NON Spanish riders. So that is my experience.
Again I beg the question that no one who has negatively commented on. How can you draw any conclusion whatsoever regarding what my knowledge and understanding of Pilgrimage is. Has your own deeply held religious practices allowed you to peer into my soul and know my inner truth? With no knowledge your statement of alleged fact is nothing more than a judgement. Doesn't Jesus have some profound and beautiful things to say about embracing all without judgement and with grace???
Just asking and I anxiously await a reply. No problem sending it to me in a private message. I will sent this in a private message to you in case the moderators feel it is not appropriate here.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A. I am not a Christian. I was born and practice another religion so sorry about that.
B. There are plenty of people who comment that are from other countries and if there are lots of restrictions about the use of Ebikes that must speak volumes for the safety of others who are walking. If you get hit by an Ebike at 15k an hour that could inflict major, major damage,
I am well aware of what pilgrimage means and the importance of solitude and self reflection. Worrying about cyclist not paying attention on a conventional bike or worse yet a heavy ebike can disturb ones contemplative state. You may have seen instances that only locals have been rude or dangerous in their riding habits. That is ONLY your experience. I have walked 8 different Caminos and have walked well over 8,000k on my caminos. This year will be number 9 and I will come close to 10,000K when I am done. So I guess you can say I have a little knowledge and experience with Pilgrimage. There have been far more situations when I have been come up on dangerously by NON Spanish riders. So that is my experience.
Again I beg the question that no one who has negatively commented on. How can you draw any conclusion whatsoever regarding what my knowledge and understanding of Pilgrimage is. Has your own deeply held religious practices allowed you to peer into my soul and know my inner truth? With no knowledge your statement of alleged fact is nothing more than a judgement. Doesn't Jesus have some profound and beautiful things to say about embracing all without judgement and with grace???
Just asking and I anxiously await a reply. No problem sending it to me in a private message. I will sent this in a private message to you in case the moderators feel it is not appropriate here.
You should be awarded a Blue Peter Badge 😂 I’m happy no matter which way people choose to do their pilgrimage. It seems that you have a dislike for riders of E bikes . You’re worried about being run over by a cyclists on the Camino but no mention of being run over by a car or bus when crossing many of the roads along the Camino. Enjoy your next walk and let’s hope our paths never cross as I suspect your a bundle of fun to spend time with . . Ps I don’t send PM’s and I won’t be Reading any messages you send me .

Last edited:
Emsie, just a heads up here. There is an "ignore" function. Click on the user name of anyone who is especially tedious and you will see the option. Not something I often use but I think I'm about to! Welcome to the forum, anyway. Most of us are a bit more tolerant.

Everytime bikes and the Camino are mentioned, there is a outbreak of irritation/irrationality on both sides. Have done bike, e-bike and walking over the 6 or so Caminos, I understand the fear a 200lb person/bike coming at you at speed when off road.

What I do find odd is where bikes are on a designated road (as opposed to off-road) there seems to be an acceptance amongst some pilgrims that cars/buses can go along it, but not cyclists. It's all very odd.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The debate between hikers/pilgrims and cyclists is a perennial one. From my personal hiking experiences, I've consistently encountered cyclists who zoom by so close and fast that it's startling.
While walking, I deliberately pace myself to either immerse in the surrounding nature or enter a meditative state. This deliberate slowness is fundamentally at odds with the essence of cycling.
However, my experiences are irrelevant to cyclists. My appeal is for cyclists to show heightened consideration for hikers and pilgrims. If unable to give a four-yard berth when passing, cyclists should at least slow to no more than double the walking speed. This modest sacrifice earns the goodwill and grateful benedictions of all pilgrims on the Way.

You should be awarded a Blue Peter Badge 😂 I’m happy no matter which way people choose to do their pilgrimage. It seems that you have a dislike for riders of E bikes . You’re worried about being run over by a cyclists on the Camino but no mention of being run over by a car or bus when crossing many of the roads along the Camino. Enjoy your next walk and let’s hope our paths never cross as I suspect your a bundle of fun to spend time with . . Ps I don’t send PM’s and I won’t be Reading any messages you send me .
The feelings you express are like those of a bruja. You have captured my feelings of thee exactly!!!! One can only hope. Oh and by the way there are many people that have told me I am one of the most fun people they have ever met. My mommy taught me quite well how and where to cross a street or walk where there is traffic, so as much as I appreciate your concern for my welfare, have no fear.

If obtaining compostela is important to you, then the pedal assisted bike will disqualify you.
Just to confirm this (pedal assisted bike means electrical bike, correct?) and because new information takes a while before it has reached all the parts of the forum that it ought to reach: A copy of the text of the newest version of the credencial, issued by the Cathedral of Santiago, was posted on this forum a few weeks ago. It says indeed that a requirement for obtaining a Compostela is having made pilgrimage on bike by covering 200 km (excluding electrical bikes).

Compostela requirements June 2024.jpg

Last edited:

€60,-
Just to confirm this (pedal assisted bike means electrical bike, correct?) and because new information takes a while before it has reached all the parts of the forum that it ought to reach: A copy of the text of the newest version of the credencial, issued by the Cathedral of Santiago, was posted on this forum a few weeks ago. It says indeed that a requirement for obtaining a Compostela is having made pilgrimage on bike by covering 200 km (excluding electrical bikes).

View attachment 172126
This was queried at the time because a distinction exists between electrical bikes (which are like an electric moped, you just twist the throttle and go) and pedal assist (which requires the rider to physically pedal).
The question raised at the time was whether this distinction had been taken into account. As yet nobody has answered that question

The question raised at the time was whether this distinction had been taken into account.
Ah, and since then nobody has found out yet what exactly the Spanish term "bicicleta eléctrica" means and/or those who composed the new text for the credencial had no doubts that it was clear to the Spanish holder of such a credencial what "bicicleta eléctrica" means in concrete terms?

Ah, and since then nobody has found out yet what exactly the Spanish term "bicicleta eléctrica" means and/or those who composed the new text for the credencial had no doubts that it was clear to the Spanish holder of such a credencial what "bicicleta eléctrica" means in concrete terms?
That's my take on it, yes. In the UK the distinction is fairly clear, as per this extract from eco-move.co.uk

"Pedal-assist e-bikes are often categorized as bicycles and are subject to specific regulations that determine their maximum speed and power output. Throttle-controlled e-bikes, particularly those with a twist grip throttle, may be classified differently, potentially as a moped or scooter, depending on local laws.19 Apr 2023"

I have no idea what the "local law" - in this instance Spain - is.

Basically, pedal assist e-bikes rely on the rider's pedaling to engage the electric motor. The motor senses the rider's pedaling motion and provides assistance that is proportional to the rider's effort.

T
hrottle-controlled e-bikes however do not require pedaling to engage the motor. You quite literally twist the throttle and go. Which to my mind is basically just an electric moped or motorbike. A completely different kettle of fish!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have no idea what the "local law" - in this instance Spain - is.
Isn't it then time to find out what is meant by "bicicleta eléctrica" in the new version of the Cathedral's credencial if one has serious doubts about the precise meaning of this Spanish expression and in Spain?

May I suggest putting "bicicleta eléctrica" site:.es or better even "bicicleta eléctrica" site:.dgt.es into Google Search. DGT is the Direction General de Trafico, which is a Department of the Spanish Ministry of Interior. They have produced a lot of output about the bicicleta eléctrica on their website and it leaves little room for the imagination about which kind of vehicles is meant by these two words in Spanish.

Buen Camino to all, whether they are on foot or not. 😊

Last edited:
Isn't it then time to find out what is meant by "bicicleta eléctrica" in the new version of the Cathedral's credencial if one has serious doubts about the precise meaning of this Spanish expression and in Spain?

May I suggest putting "bicicleta eléctrica" site:.es or better even "bicicleta eléctrica" site:.dgt.es into Google Search. DGT is the Direction General de Trafico, which is a Department of the Spanish Ministry of Interior. They have produced a lot of output about the bicicleta eléctrica on their website and it leaves little room for the imagination about which kind of vehicles is meant by these two words in Spanish.

Buen Camino to all, whether they are on foot or not. 😊
I have just done exactly as you suggested and came up with 61 pages of information -logically, all in Spanish. As I'm using an iPhone it does not automatically translate, and I'm blowed if I'm going to wade through copying and pasting all of that into my translator app to find the definition which you clearly already know! 😅😂.

An additional point: you raised the topic of the thread about the new rule. Post number two was mine, had anybody bothered to follow up my suggestion we would no longer be in any doubt as to the pilgrim's office intent:

Post in thread 'Compostela: Electric Bikes Excluded?' https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...la-electric-bikes-excluded.87071/post-1259384

I truly hope that the pilgrim office is still giving out compostela's to riders of pedal assist ebikes, not because I ride one myself (perhaps in 20 years), but because to my mind a pilgrim who has gone to the effort of riding aforesaid bike 200+km to Santiago should be every bit as entitled to a Compostela as a pilgrim who has hopped on and off a bus, ridden a horse, or actually walked 100 kilometers.

The reason I feel that relates back to what I feel a true Pilgrim is, however that is not something that I am allowed to get into on the forum.

I have just done exactly as you suggested and came up with 61 pages of information -logically, all in Spanish. As I'm using an iPhone it does not automatically translate, and I'm blowed if I'm going to wade through copying and pasting all of that into my translator app to find the definition which you clearly already know! 😅😂.
Just to clarify 😇: My earlier comment where I raised awareness of the new text in the credencial issued by the Cathedral was just that - raising awareness that there is a new text. It can be seen in the copy posted earlier in this thread and in another thread. In the line where it says that it is a requirement for a Compostela to have ridden a bike (bicicleta) for 200 km it also says that riding an electric bike (bicicleta electrica) is excluded in this context.

I try to refrain from further comments on the meaning of these two words for the Common Pilgrim who holds such a credencial. I'd rather discuss how many angels can dance on the head of a pin than get further involved as to whether a pilgrim who has gone to the effort of riding aforesaid bike 200+km to Santiago should be every bit as entitled to a Compostela as a pilgrim who has hopped on and off a bus, ridden a horse, or actually walked 100 kilometers 😎. Just like I also stay away from discussing where people on bikes (electric or not) should be allowed to ride and where not. I'm merely interested in knowing where the Spanish traffic laws allow them to ride.

I'm merely interested in knowing where the Spanish traffic laws allow them to ride.
Did you ascertain the answer?
Huh? Should it be me who finds and posts the answer to the question of where bike riders are allowed to ride under Spanish traffic law?

I am interested in knowing but neither do I complain about bikers on Camino nor do I ride a bike on Camino.

Isn't it up to those who ride a bike to Santiago and those who make all sorts of claims and complaints about cyclists riding to Santiago to know the traffic rules in Spain? I definitely encourage them to inform themselves and be up to date.

I asked because you posted the link to the Spanish website. I assumed from that that you had read it. In your own words:

"They have produced a lot of output about the bicicleta eléctrica on their website and it leaves little room for the imagination about which kind of vehicles is meant by these two words in Spanish."

That strongly suggested to me that you knew the answer.

Isn't it up to those who ride a bike to Santiago and those who make all sorts of claims and complaints about cyclists riding to Santiago to know the traffic rules in Spain? I definitely encourage them to inform themselves and be up to date.
The emphasis and highlights are mine!

Learn proper bathroom protocol on the Camino and share this info with other pilgrims.
Hi,
just to give a little perspective on things. this isn't a recommendation just simply some additional information.
2019 myself plus one (one of us just under 50 and one just over) set out from SJPP early Oct'19 (probably a little off season and therefore not masses of pilgrims to avoid) at about 6pm - wasted half an hour getting lost and arrived at Orrison at last light. it took us just under 7 days from start to finish on MTBs (non electric) carrying all our kit on our backs (plus a small saddle bag) and we stuck to the walking route (while respecting those walking) - where walking routes followed the roads we took the foot path. tough yes, but we were blessed with perfect weather and had no 'bads'.
doing the same again this September - seriously looking forward to it.
my only recommendation would be to strongly recommend having a bell if you're going to be on any of the walking routes.

getting to your original question then for me there are only two questions;
will you stick to foot paths- if so this rules out road bikes
will it be an elec mtb / non elec. only you can answer that relating to your fitness.

we're by no means professional cyclists but would hope our fitness is above average. we were quite committed but in October has less hours of sun light and completed the ride in less than 7 days. 14 days would clearly be considerably a more leisurely pace.

we used fairly high spec / low weight MTBs with 29er wheels (as most are these days) and travelled very light.

Buen Camino all.

I hope that is of some help?

will you stick to foot paths- if so this rules out road bikes
I’ve gone thousands of kilometers on my Brompton, marketed as “made for cities.” Much of that has been on rural paths and/or rough terrain, including Santiago to Cee, Fisterra, and Muxia, from Pamplona to León, from Zamora to La Bañeza, etc. Some of that was unpleasant, but most of it was enjoyable. Also, several times Estella to Logroño on a more conventional “road bike” before I bought the Brompton.

Well as they say anything is possible, but I would suggest there are several areas where most people would rule out using a road bike and even less so a Brompton with small wheels.
Both my mate and I took a tumble on the 29" MTBs. Had I been on a Brompton I suspect I'd still be there now pushing it having taken countless tumbles?
Granted there's plenty of places you'd get by on a Brompton but there places we struggled on MTBs :):)👍

€46,-
Well as they say anything is possible, but I would suggest there are several areas where most people would rule out using a road bike and even less so a Brompton with small wheels.
Both my mate and I took a tumble on the 29" MTBs. Had I been on a Brompton I suspect I'd still be there now pushing it having taken countless tumbles?
Granted there's plenty of places you'd get by on a Brompton but there places we struggled on MTBs :):)👍
Well, I had to carry it up Alto del Perdón, and took the highway rather than that descent. And there was a section in Galicia where I had to walk, because every rock or tree root was like running into a wall. And there was a little bit where the mud would have required a mountain bike or any other type to be pushed or carried. But the rest was fine.

Finally for the life of me I have no idea why any sort of certificate should be given to a rider of any type of conventional bike. This last part about conventional bikes is just my personal feeling and I have no idea how many agree with me.

If I spend 3 weeks traversing the Camino on my conventional bike, how is that any different than you walking for three weeks? In my case, I ride a bike because I have a spinal cord injury. My partial paralysis does not stop me from walking short distances. I can walk 10 kilometers (with poles) I just can’t do it day after day due to the unevenness of my gait which will result in orthopedic injury. Even so, I will still have to push my bike up steep grades which is doubly hard, I know this from experience on the Portuguese Central Route from Porto. I would joke with people that I am riding the Camino—except I walk only the hardest parts, where I push my fully loaded bike up the hill. I assure you some of my days were much harder than any able bodied walker. But this leads me to the part where I tell you that I didn’t travel the Camino for a certificate… I did get one, though it has not even left the tube it came in.

I couldn't give a rat's a@@ss what you think,
I can think of numerous replies to this, but only hope your next Camino is better than your last.

If I spend 3 weeks traversing the Camino on my conventional bike, how is that any different than you walking for three weeks? In my case, I ride a bike because I have a spinal cord injury. My partial paralysis does not stop me from walking short distances. I can walk 10 kilometers (with poles) I just can’t do it day after day due to the unevenness of my gait which will result in orthopedic injury. Even so, I will still have to push my bike up steep grades which is doubly hard, I know this from experience on the Portuguese Central Route from Porto. I would joke with people that I am riding the Camino—except I walk only the hardest parts, where I push my fully loaded bike up the hill. I assure you some of my days were much harder than any able bodied walker. But this leads me to the part where I tell you that I didn’t travel the Camino for a certificate… I did get one, though it has not even left the tube it came in.

I can think of numerous replies to this, but only hope your next Camino is better than your last.
I am sorry about your condition but my opinions are mine and are no better or worse than what you believe. My last Camino was just perfect thank you. If anyone has anything to say they should say it. On the forum or face to face. If it is what you think repeat it. If I or anyone else wants to respond it is their right to do so.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Over ~35 years I accumulated 10s of thousands of kilometres of long-distance self-supported bicycle touring in many countries and terrains. I did these tours on a classic steel diamond-framed touring bike. I also have a mountain bike, a cargo bike, a recumbent, and a Brompton folding bike.

I have not yet bicycled the CF but have walked the entire standard CF route twice plus a few other pilgrimage routes.

Based on my experiences, I recommend a classic steel diamond-framed touring bicycle with brand-name tubed touring tires (I have had good experience with Continental tires) with as large a profile as will fit between the forks and rear frame elements. The frame should have factory-installed fittings on which to mount a rear rack and front low-riders. Various brands of front and rear panniers are available. Some are water-proof. I found that my panniers tended to wobble around a bit especially in rough terrain, and the wobbling detracted from stability. I solved that problem by bungy-cording each pannier to the bike.

There are spots on the CF where I would find it difficult to, or would not want to, ride a loaded touring bike. These include e.g.:

1. The portion of the Napoleon route past the point near the summit where the footpath route departs the paved road and goes to the right towards Spain (on that section I would push my bike); and,

2. The infamous, dangerous, steep, narrow, and slippery downhill footpath descent into Zubiri (I would find a paved road alternative); and,

3. The path to the west of, and downhill of, the Alto del Perdón (west of Pamplona)(On that section, due to loose boulders underfoot, it would be difficult and dangerous to try to push a loaded bike. I would instead find some paved road.); and,

4. The steep, narrow, slippery footpath downhill from just past the Alto de Foncebadón through El Acebo de San Miguel and onwards to Molinaseca (I would instead use the nearby paved road.)

I would not use a mountain bike because, in my experience, the geometry is uncomfortable and they are mechanically inefficient.

Cycling UK tour leaders taught me how to tour overseas enjoyably and safely. The club has vast amounts of bicycle touring knowledge and wisdom to share. Might be worthwhile to study their website.

😊 personally I find your comment about not using an MTB to be incorrect. 😊

I'm sure we clocked up just over 500 miles sticking to the footpaths in less than 7 days.
one day we did over 10 hours / 120 miles in the saddle. I had no issues with comfort (other than my rucksack on my shoulder/neck and one cycle shoe) - and based on the time it took us I would also argue the point about efficiency - granted less efficient than a road bike on a road but not necessarily so on the gravel / rocky sections. 👍

@blind fool you must be some sorta hard case, riding 100km+ on trails, or young or ex-pro perhaps? The rule-of-thumb according to the Munda Biddi (WA) riders is that off-road is 1.5 - 2 times harder than road. My Aussie mate rode 1000km of the Munda Biddi trail on a Peugeot woman's bike he bought at a car-boot sale in Perth.

@Pilgrim9 a good touring set up is fine for the roads but less so for trail riding. My touring bike is a CF hard-tail now fitted with a rigid fork (weight saving and with lugs) and 50mm tyres. It's good on the road, ok on gravel but slow & uncomfortable on the rocky stuff. Earlier in June I rode the Primitivo and at times wished for my full-sus, was happy enough on the road, fine on the gravel but would never entertain an eMTB for a Camino ride.

As I've said before, any bike will get you there but there will always be compromises to live with. Very often the best bike to use is the one you own.

A final piece of MTB lore is to ride up the black-top but ride down the trail.

Buen Camino - El Flaco

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
😊 👍
I think my wife would say I'm more a nut case than hard case.

I'd love to think I'm ex-pro or something but no. I also have to smile cos we came across a couple of girls who basically laughed at us when we said we were going to do it in 7 days. They basically laughed and said no chance, it took their mate who was a fire fighter 7 days and he was much younger 😝

I'm aiming to do the same this year (Sept), although we do have about 7.75 days available to do it.

ps. in 2019 when I was 49 we did 172 km and 8hrs 41min in the saddle. this was on a high end CF hard tail 29er.

if you're interested https://www.strava.com/activities/2777160933

Most read last week in this forum

I am currently riding from Lisbon, arriving in Santiago around the end of the month. I need to get myself and my bike to Santander for a ferry. I don't have time to ride to Ferrol, where I will...
Hello, I am looking for a bicycle in Camino de santiagoas soon as possible for my next journey starting from santiago. If anyone knows a second-hand shop or bicycle shop where I can get not too...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.