• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train or Plane from Madrid to Porto

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
Leaving September 10th. I am looking for information on either a fast train from Madrid to Porto. Or a plane that might go directly from Madrid to Porto. Anyone having experience with either of these options? Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Leaving September 10th. I am looking for information on either a fast train from Madrid to Porto. Or a plane that might go directly from Madrid to Porto. Anyone having experience with either of these options? Thank you!
A fast train from Madrid to Porto? We don't even have a slow train, let alone a fast train ahaha

You can either fly or take a bus.

Rome2Rio.com will show you your options.

I'm seeing nonstop flights from Madrid to Porto on both the 11th and 12th of September that take about an hour and fifteen minutes.

The fastest train option is over 7.5 hours.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Why are you flying into Madrid if you’re heading for Porto? The old country bumpkin response “ If I were going there I wouldn’t start from ‘ere.” always applies. Even to international travel.

That said, plenty of flights or a relaxing train trip. Pilgrim does as Pilgrim does - the rest is just stuff

Why are you flying into Madrid if you’re heading for Porto? The old country bumpkin response “ If I were going there I wouldn’t start from ‘ere.” always applies. Even to international travel.

That said, plenty of flights or a relaxing train trip. Pilgrim does as Pilgrim does - the rest is just stuff
Tincatinker, I am a NOVICE travel planner. I do not really know what I am doing I am reading forums and Facebook Pages and..... You sound as if you have a great deal more experience than I so I would humbly ask how you would fly from Oklahoma City, OK to begin a Portuguese Costal walk? Also, I have read of a boat ride that is on this path bur not a lot of detail on where it is etc. the American Airlines representative told me this was a good route. So....thank you for whatever advice you might feel inclined to share.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm seeing nonstop flights from Madrid to Porto on both the 11th and 12th of September that take about an hour and fifteen minutes.

The fastest train option is over 7.5 hours.

Thank you trecile. I will follow your link.

I am a NOVICE travel planner. I do not really know what I am doing I am reading forums and Facebook Pages and.
Ah, it sounds like you would have benefitted from finding this forum earlier to ask questions like "what's the best airport to fly to for the Portuguese Camino?"

But you are here now, with tickets to Madrid, so we will help you as best we can to get to Porto to start your Camino.

As far as your other questions go - boat ride and so on, check out the Camino Portuguese subforums.

Central route

Coastal route

The Portuguese Camino has several options - central, coastal, spiritual variant, etc., so it can be more confusing than the Camino Francés and other Camino routes.

There are several good sites that explain the options. Here are a couple:

Stingy Nomads

Pilgrimage Traveler

Tincatinker, I am a NOVICE travel planner. I do not really know what I am doing I am reading forums and Facebook Pages and..... You sound as if you have a great deal more experience than I so I would humbly ask how you would fly from Oklahoma City, OK to begin a Portuguese Costal walk? Also, I have read of a boat ride that is on this path bur not a lot of detail on where it is etc. the American Airlines representative told me this was a good route. So....thank you for whatever advice you might feel inclined to share.
This site https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Oklahoma-City/Porto#trips can be useful. Probably will be for your next Camino ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ah, it sounds like you would have benefitted from finding this forum earlier to ask questions like "what's the best airport to fly to for the Portuguese Camino?"

But you are here now, with tickets to Madrid, so we will help you as best we can to get to Porto to start your Camino.

As far as your other questions go - boat ride and so on, check out the Camino Portuguese subforums.

Central route

Coastal route

The Portuguese Camino has several options - central, coastal, spiritual variant, etc., so it can be more confusing than the Camino Francés and other Camino routes.

There are several good sites that explain the options. Here are a couple:

Stingy Nomads

Pilgrimage Traveler
I only put that route on hold. What route do you recommend and I will call airline back. Thank you very much for your help!

I only put that route on hold. What route do you recommend and I will call airline back. Thank you very much for your help!
You should go to a site like google flights. Use Porto as your destination, and you will see the options from your home. Many international flights arrive in Porto.

The good thing about sites like google flights is that they will search for all the available flights and then send you directly to the airline to purchase the ticket. They are not third party brokers. Most people on the forum recommend booking directly with the airlines because of the many snafus that have been reported by those who used expedia, orbitz, priceline, etc, when there are delays or cancellations.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
You should go to a site like google flights. Use Porto as your destination, and you will see the options from your home. Many international flights arrive in Porto.

The good thing about sites like google flights is that they will search for all the available flights and then send you directly to the airline to purchase the ticket. They are not third party brokers. Most people on the forum recommend booking directly with the airlines because of the many snafus that have been reported by those who used expedia, orbitz, priceline, etc, when there are delays or cancellations.
Thank you peregrina2000, I don’t use Google and so did not know of this option. I will check into it. I appreciate all advice!

Here's the Google Flights results page for Dallas to Porto on September 10th:

I don't know what day you plan to return, so these fares are for a one way trip - it's usually more expensive to book two one way tickets than a round trip, so I would redo the search with your return date too. It's really easy to get back to Porto from Santiago. There are several buses per day, and the trip takes less than four hours.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello, I am doing the same as you on Sept 24th because it is easier/cheaper to get to Madrid even from Seattle. I am flying Iberia into Porto from Madrid and the fare was very reasonable. Even the connection time matched easily and gets me to Porto by noon. Bom Caminho

Hello, my name is Robert, I did the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago in April and I am currently doing the Madrid to Santiago. I flew from Miami to Lisbon although I started in Lisbon, there is a train from Lisbon to Porto, which is pretty much a great alternative, it takes about 3 hours give or take and costs about $40

So true

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I do not really know what I am doing I am reading forums and Facebook Pages
In that case, quick pro tip: when traveling in Europe between larger cities, it's good to keep in mind the possibility of low-cost airlines. Even if there's a high-speed train connection, then a flight on something like RyanAir may be much cheaper. (A common example would be Santiago de Compostela -> Madrid.)

When I had to get back from SdC to Malaga (city on the south coast of Spain) last year, it was cheaper and faster for me to buy a last-minute plane ticket than take the train. Which is pretty crazy if you think about it.

Sorry, Gale, I'm late to this thread. It is possible to travel by train from Madrid to Porto, and I recommend it as an enjoyable journey and a good way to transition from international flight to camino mode.

There's a direct and fairly fast train from Madrid to Badajoz. Fabulous scenery on the way, and you travel right by the Roman ruins in Merida. At Badajoz you change onto a Portuguese train which travels slowly to Entroncamento, stopping at typical tiled country stations. Entroncamento is on the main railway network in Portugal, and from there you can get trains to Porto or Lisbon. Takes about ten and a half hours altogether. Badajoz is a delightful small historic town for an overnight stop. More information here:

I haven't travelled the route via Vigo which has less time on the train but which involves an overnight in Vigo. More information here https://www.seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-Madrid.htm#Spain-Porto.

Unless you have to get from A to B as quickly as possible train is a good way to go.

In that case, quick pro tip: when traveling in Europe between larger cities, it's good to keep in mind the possibility of low-cost airlines. Even if there's a high-speed train connection, then a flight on something like RyanAir may be much cheaper. (A common example would be Santiago de Compostela -> Madrid.)

When I had to get back from SdC to Malaga (city on the south coast of Spain) last year, it was cheaper and faster for me to buy a last-minute plane ticket than take the train. Which is pretty crazy if you think about it.
Thank you Krystianw! I will check RyanAir!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I flew from Madrid to Porto
Had a lovely night in Madrid walking around before flying to Porto the next morning. Train from airport in Porto to my hostel
.One afternoon amd evening in Porto, orientated myself for the Camino the next day.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know what or why the RENFE website is NOT listing any train service from MADRID to LEON (or onward to OVIEDO) after October 9?? I am trying to travel from Madrid to Oviedo (via Leon)...
So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
I hope I am posting this in the right subject section. My annual multi-trip travel insurance has a limit on the duration of any one trip of 45 days. Any claim must include evidence of departure...
Two Trains SNCF at 6am and 8am from Bayonne to SJPdeP got cancelled 12.09 . And we are going to start our France tomorrow 12.09, maybe someone has the same problem and wants to share taxi in the...
Hola todos! I’m trying to find the best way to get from Leon to Sarria where I will start my walk. For context, when I decided to stay in Leon for a few days before my walk I saw that there were...
Hope I am posting at the right place -- five of us will complete the Camino and plan to rent a car, drive to Tui, then drop off the car there, and walk aross the bridge to Vanlensa and pick up a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back