• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The yellow road

angmsmith

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024
I’ve just made it to Baiona, and have been disappointed that so much of the way has been on the side of a busy road. It’s been flat, hot, with very little opportunity for rest or shade. Not to mention the car traffic. Curious how much more of the route is like this?

IMG_9170.jpeg

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
All of it. its costal. Not on the coast. Rita dos faro malpica to finnesterra

We left from A Garda and stopped in Oia. The next day to Baiona went up and over before the Faro de Cabo Silleiro lighthouse. I don't remember a lot of flat and hot- perhaps because of the rain? Sorry you found it so unpleasant- we enjoyed this walk even though we were drenched through most of it!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’ve just made it to Baiona, and have been disappointed that so much of the way has been on the side of a busy road. It’s been flat, hot, with very little opportunity for rest or shade. Not to mention the car traffic. Curious how much more of the route is like this?

View attachment 176565
It's going to be like that, mostly, until Vigo. But after Vigo you have a nice walk to Redondela through woods overlooking the Vigo estuary. In general, you'll see more vegetation after Vigo because you'll be heading inland.

Hola

Yes. You will soon be past the roadwalking along the coast.

You might consider taking a 3 day detour called Variante Espiritual which is your path towards Santiago.
It starts in Pontevedra which will be in 2-3 days from your current location.
It is a wonderful walk through nature and it ends with a boat ride back to the Camino.

Here is a link to the information here on this site:

You can find a map here that I posted some years ago.

I hope this helps.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

If you have had your fill of road walking, it is worthwhile taking the complementary route into Pontevedra. This will keep you off the roads for a little longer if it is open.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We left from A Garda and stopped in Oia. The next day to Baiona went up and over before the Faro de Cabo Silleiro lighthouse. I don't remember a lot of flat and hot- perhaps because of the rain? Sorry you found it so unpleasant- we enjoyed this walk even though we were drenched through most of it!!
I just found it physically challenging to walk on that road for those long stretches. And mentally dispiriting! But it’s all good. 😊

I just found it physically challenging to walk on that road for those long stretches. And mentally dispiriting! But it’s all good. 😊
I have just arrived in Baiona after walking from Oia. The first part was roadside but I found the views of the coast compensated. I then went inland ‘up and over’ which was very nice.

Looks like there is plenty going on in Baiona!

Last edited:

View attachment 176565
Where did you start? Have you been on the actual litoral/coastal? Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola

Yes. You will soon be past the roadwalking along the coast.

You might consider taking a 3 day detour called Variante Espiritual which is your path towards Santiago.
It starts in Pontevedra which will be in 2-3 days from your current location.
It is a wonderful walk through nature and it ends with a boat ride back to the Camino.

Here is a link to the information here on this site:

You can find a map here that I posted some years ago.

I hope this helps.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo
Thank you so much for this. I am walking from Caminha to SDC and was wondering about the Espirtual Variant but couldn’t quite work it all out! Anyway thanks to you (and other folks who posted the boat booking link) I now have a plan!

Boats seem to run at 0700 and 0930 with the odd boat at midday. Some boats seem to get sold out.

Last edited:
Where did you start? Have you been on the actual litoral/coastal? Thank you.
I’ve just made it to Baiona
That photo brings back memories from last year. I remember exactly walking the same way. I think you could have gone on the coastal and left the litoral to avoid this stretch but my memory is not as strong as it once was.

Hi to @SunMod have walked from Lisbon on the Central and last year my final leg of my camino was from Porto on the coastal. Walked the coastal last November and it was pretty much torrential rain almost every day. You have lots of choices on how much of the "traditional" camino and the litoral you wish to walk. If you check gronze or use the wise pilgrim or buen camino app you will see both routes. It is a really nice camino

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).

View attachment 176565
I felt the same almost lost my mind following the yellow brick road.
I personally found a bus and high tailed it out , hooked up with The interior Portuguese as soon as I could.
Good luck finding an ultimate you'll enjoy.
It's out there waiting for you.

Hi angmsmith, wanted see if I understood. Are you saying all or much of the Coastal route between Porto and Baiona is like this?

God willing, I'll be walking that road in September 14th. Still deciding to go over by the lighthouse or walk the costal road. I want to see the glass beach.

How easy is access to food between Oia and Baiona? Should I buy snacks in A Guarda?

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
God willing, I'll be walking that road in September 14th. Still deciding to go over by the lighthouse or walk the costal road. I want to see the glass beach.

How easy is access to food between Oia and Baiona? Should I buy snacks in A Guarda?
Might be worth getting a few bits and pieces as a precaution. There will be things in Oia but I stopped a few kms north in O Serrallo so not quite sure of specifics . In O Serrallo there was a garage and supermarket selling food so no need to worry too much.

As you walk north there is hotel that advertises itself as ‘last place before Baiona’ where you can get breakfast.

I am interested in the Camino from Porto....
Interest is beginning to wane due to an aversion to busy highway walking.
This post prompts further research.

Two things:
  • this is one of the three major routes leaving Porto, that effectively form two routes with variations. There is a fourth route through Braga that gets little discussion on this forum.
  • My experience with the central route is that generally it does not follow busy highways. There will always be roadside walking, and it will be necessary to cross busier major roads when you might walk beside one for a few hundred metres to get to a suitable pedestrian crossing. Otherwise, I cannot recall any long stretch of a major road.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi angmsmith, wanted see if I understood. Are you saying all or much of the Coastal route between Porto and Baiona is like this?
No, this was after Viana do Castelo, with the worst being between Caminha and Baiona. From Baiona I opted for the coastal route instead of littoral, and that was much better.

1- where is the glass beach??

2- I’ve not had any issues getting food. But I suggest to buy snacks whenever you can.

Might be worth getting a few bits and pieces as a precaution. There will be things in Oia but I stopped a few kms north in O Serrallo so not quite sure of specifics . In O Serrallo there was a garage and supermarket selling food so no need to worry too much.

As you walk north there is hotel that advertises itself as ‘last place before Baiona’ where you can get breakfast.
Muiño’s camping spot. A very welcome respite!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you do the coastal route it should avoid the big highways. The littoral, in my experience, has had a lot more interaction with the highway. Though it’s been interspersed with the most breathtaking ocean views, so …. 🤷‍♀️

View attachment 176565
My friend and I walked this portion this past April and despite wearing sunglasses, we were rendered nearly blind by the sun against this very bright yellow road. We did not like it at all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is the workers laying the yellow road in October 2021. Looks like it has had a lot of use in the last 3 years...

Attachments

• Yellow_Road.jpg
    Yellow_Road.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
where is the glass beach??

@NadineK visited it - you can see it on her YouTube channel, Day 44 of her Camino in 2022, she backtracks to a sea glass beach she missed on a previous Camino. She takes a bus to Baiona, then walks to the sea glass beach at the location given above by @jungleboy .

I assume the one you're referring to is the sea glass beach near the Portuguese coastal route called Praia dos cristais de Silleiro, but it's in Spain, 165km from Porto and I would say too too far/impractical as a day trip from Porto. This is the location on Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/5Xa4mWbYBiVBA8jm7

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes - I am a subscriber of Nadine's YouTube channel and given that she's walked multiple caminos, I find the information she provides reliable. Regrettably, I missed the sea glass beach as I was distracted walking & talking with someone and by the time I realized what I missed, it was too late to go back.

If you do the coastal route it should avoid the big highways. The littoral, in my experience, has had a lot more interaction with the highway. Though it’s been interspersed with the most breathtaking ocean views, so …. 🤷‍♀️
Are you referring to the littoral from Porto?
Between Porto and Baiona, other than the 20 km from A Guarda to As Mariñas, which parts of the littoral are along or 'interacts with' a highway? Which highway?

Please let me know if this is incorrect, but with the exception of urban areas like Vila do Conde and Póvoa de Varzim, or Fao and Esposende, or Viana Do Castelo, but my understanding is that the littoral is largely beaches, boardwalks, and walking / cycling paths adjoining all the villages up that coast to Caminha, or it follows the same track as the coastal, which also avoids 'highways' and is largely local paths and village roads.

Buen Camino,

Most read last week in this forum

Well, I have some health issues and no room at the inn issues. My leg flaring up has really caused a problem. My husband and I are in Vila do Conde looking for a nice place to sleep tomorrow. I...
I’m looking for recommendations for camino memoirs specific to the Portuguese camino. Ideally, the coastal route but I’ll take what I can find. I read a plethora of memoirs from the French route...
Here is my photo video from the Camino Portugues, costal route. We chose almost every opportunity to go Litoral - right out on the coastline. Only the day between Esposende and Viana do Castelo we...
Walking Litoral from Porto beginning 25 Oct. Will places to stay be open? Thanks!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back