• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Taking of Gloves Paradox

BiggBlue

Robin
Time of past OR future Camino
17 Frances 18 Portuguese,
19 Primitivo 22 Norte
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to be too bulky to carry. So, as I prepare for my late September departure, I'm debating whether to bring gloves.

Historically, I've packed a very lightweight pair of lining gloves along with thicker ones. On one or two Caminos, I never ended up using them. One morning on the Norte, I started walking at about 6:30 AM. There was a fine drizzle, not heavy rain, but the clouds were low. After walking for an hour and a half through the forest in shorts and a T-shirt, I realized I was freezing. I struggled to open my backpack because my hands were colder than I had imagined. I layered up as much as possible, but my hands were so cold that I had trouble getting the gloves on. They quickly got wet.

When I reached the first café, about 14 kilometres in, I had to sit inside for an hour to warm up.

So, does anyone have recommendations for great gloves that aren't too bulky for wet weather? Or is it better to focus on staying warm overall and not worry too much about wet hands?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
You can bring a few pair of very thin disposable type plastic gloves to wear over the non-waterproof gloves. These are the kind of gloves you can find in the supermercados in Spain in the produce section. Though they are meant to be disposable, you should be able to use a pair a few times before they tear.

Something like this

Screenshot_20240913_064249_Firefox.jpg

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I see that you're in the UK, @BiggBlue.
I recommend the really cheap Primark gloves (a pack of 2 is about £2.50). I wear one or both pairs, depending on how cold it is. They get wet, but dry quickly.

In an 'emergency' the socks option also works 😊

Wishing you a Buen Camino with not too many cold mornings!

Synthetic fleece gloves still help the body retain heat when wet.
I really don't know much about it, but this is contrary to the usual wisdom that wool, not most synthetics, helps the body retain heat better when wet. However, maybe some synthetics can repel the water better.

I used to carry some thin merino gloves, but my frustration was that they are hard to take off and put on, when wet! I haven't walked for a few years in a season when gloves were needed, but I would take either thin wool gloves or a pair of cheap synthetics maybe with the finger tips cut off, and some latex medical gloves or dishwashing gloves to put over them.

Last edited:
I've always relied of the fall-back option of the "a la Trecile" plastic gloves in my first aid kit or the spare pair of socks. Can't be worn together though..
When I used to kayak, many moons ago, several people used Marigolds (washing up gloves) to keep their hands warm. Only the most proficient also kept their hands dry, but this shouldn't be a problem walking. Cheap, light and mostly available in pink or yellow.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I always wore knitted wool gloves not mittens. Found at Decathlon in Grenoble, France, several winters ago. They still are in great shape. You can see them here.
Fromista Canal de Castilla.jpg

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Found outdoor gloves which have as an insert a "poncho for the gloves". Looks funny.
Brand is "Outdoor Research", Versaliner Sensor Gloves Black. I really like them as I went now multiple times into heavy cold rain.

Right normal glove with the "insert". You can take these out if it rains too much and just put it above the glove as a poncho (left picture)

Attachments

• Unbenannt.JPG
    Unbenannt.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 87
Even in my sub 4kg packing list there is a pair of gloves. They are the cheapest ones decathlon is (was?) selling. Made from some kind of fleece material. Very likely also the lightest ones at 22g a pair.

I typically use them for cold mornings. I also use them when it is raining. For some time they keep kinda dry, but after hours of continued rain they get very wet. I still feel they retain some body heat, but it is far from comfortable. If i was expecting days and days of rain, i would either bring some of those disposable plastic ones (produce section or gas station), or take more solid ones to begin with.
However, since i started all my caminos in May, i took my chances of there not being to many rainy days. I've been lucky that way 2 out of 3 times.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I always carry sun protection mitts, sold at my local boating/camping/fishing store, similar to a biking mitt but without any padding on the palm. These are my go-to mitt when I am using poles. For cold conditions, I sometime use a fleece glove, but far prefer the possum fur gloves I get every few years or so when I visit NZ. Any Kiwi here will tell you what a wonderful gift we Aussies gave them when we sent them possums!

These are the gloves I always take when walking. Fun green & orange neon colors.
Keeps the raw cold out. I put a stick on sensor on index fingers for cell phone use & photos.

For emergency use, one could take a few "pairs" of those thin polyethylene bags that are provided in the produce section of most supermarkets and use them as emergency waterproof outer mitts over socks over the hands. Waterproof, economical, low weight, low bulk, zero cost.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So I usually only bring lightweight fleece gloves... but earlier this year I hiked in January and February for the first time (Moz/Vdlp/Sanabres) and although January was nice and temperate, once I got into the hills of Galicia I encountered freezing rain and snow. My fleece gloves got soaked and my hands were painfully cold. I stopped short of my planned destination and stayed at a roadside truckstop type motel because my hands were so cold.

That night I went into the gas station next store and spied some of those red plasticky gloves that truckers wear when they have to change a tire or fix a flat in the snow. They were by all measures bulky but with my dried out fleece gloves underneath they kept my hands warm in the next few days of the storm.

Not an ideal solution but one that works if you're caught out there without the right equipment.

Last edited:
I've used a pair of Decathlon hiking gloves for the cold on some Winter sections of a Camino, they worked OK (caveat : wet doesn't usually bother me), but they did tend to smell (on me anyway) after a bit -- I've also used one for my staff hand if it blistered. Not once this year though.

My childhood memories of woollen gloves are not encouraging either though ...

But a decent pair of non-skiing + non-motorbike leather gloves seems hard to find, and many of the motorist gloves seem to be unsuitable for hiking, and town gloves too thin.

Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to be too bulky to carry. So, as I prepare for my late September departure, I'm debating whether to bring gloves.

Historically, I've packed a very lightweight pair of lining gloves along with thicker ones. On one or two Caminos, I never ended up using them. One morning on the Norte, I started walking at about 6:30 AM. There was a fine drizzle, not heavy rain, but the clouds were low. After walking for an hour and a half through the forest in shorts and a T-shirt, I realized I was freezing. I struggled to open my backpack because my hands were colder than I had imagined. I layered up as much as possible, but my hands were so cold that I had trouble getting the gloves on. They quickly got wet.

When I reached the first café, about 14 kilometres in, I had to sit inside for an hour to warm up.

So, does anyone have recommendations for great gloves that aren't too bulky for wet weather? Or is it better to focus on staying warm overall and not worry too much about wet hands?
Hi there, we did the camino Frances in September/October and we had temperatures in October drop to -4 degrees but all along the way I worn bicycle gloves, they left my fingers open to grip hiking poles but covered enough of my hands to keep me warm. They didn't seem to get really wet in rain. Anyways just a thought! Buen Camino!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Maybe buy them if and when you need them, along the way? Most big cities have a Decathlon store where just about any kind of glove can be had. Personally, I use a more utilitarian work glove that has done me in good stead.

I carry a synthetic Buff (neck gaitor) and only use one trekking pole, and then only when steep, rocky, really muddy. Also, I carry an umbrella in the rain. So if I don't need the buff for the neck or head, it can go on the cold hand and the other in a pocket. But, I am not a cold hand person and have only walked until early November. "On the other hand" my left hand in the sun gets too much of it. I am taking a fingertip-less thin fishing glove next week. Buen Camino

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.

I had a similar experience when cycling del Norte a few years ago, in May: 3 deg at 6 a.m. and 33 at 4 p.m. My hands were so cold that I couldn’t apply the brakes or change gear. Had I known how cold and wet it would be in that persistent early morning mist, I would have brought my neoprene gloves. Like a wetsuit, the wetter they get, the warmer you will be. Mine are lined with merino, which makes them more comfortable and less malodorous. Not recommended for use in cold, dry conditions.

I use the finger-less ventilated cycling gloves all the time. On cold days they add some warmth. On hot days the ventilation helps with cooling. On wet days they get sodden but if it is warm enough they dry out quickly.

The main reason I use them is to prevent chaffing with my hiking poles.

Many years ago I bought a pair of wind-proof gloves from REI. They weigh next to nothing (really!), and have tiny bits on the fingertips to help with grip. I found that while not waterproof, they repel most of a moderate rain. They are not insulated, so if you are in sub-freezing temps, you'll still feel the cold. I don't know if they still carry such gloves, but it may be helpful to see what's around.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).

I took these gloves last year May-June and did not use them. Took them again this year in May-June and had to use them a few times. Very chilly on a few morning. They are called FLASHDRY and are made by North Face. Very light and dry quickly if they get wet.

IMG_2002.jpeg

There are very thin but waterproof mechanics gloves I bring on Caminos. Black and come in sizes. Check retail auto parts.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I always bring a pair of cheap fleece gloves and have always needed them at least a few times each on both spring and fall Caminos. I most recently appreciated them for several days in a row while walking the Sanabres this past spring. Wearing socks on my hands sounds very awkward and only in an emergency would I be willing. Gloves weigh little and take up almost no room in a backpack.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
Hi. We start our Camino early Monday morning. We arrive in SJPDP on Sunday afternoon and just wondering whether shops/supermarkets will be open so that we can stock up on a few supplies for...
I have walked many Caminos and I have mixed feelings about this topic. I usually try to book private lodgings in recent years when I walk on less traveled Caminos as I prefer to feel confident I...
Ribadesella is one of my "must stop" destinations on the Norte because there is a good pizza place, a beautiful boardwalk, and a nice beach. (Not to mention grocery stores and a laundromat.) The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back