• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Idea of Pilgrimage

Margaret Butterworth

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 (Pamplona to Burgos)
2014 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
2015 (Villafranca to Santiago)
2016 (Le Puy to Conques; SJPP To Pamplona)
I first came across the idea of pilgrimage when I studied English Literature at school. One of our set books was the Prologue to the Canterbury Tales by Chaucer. A merry band of pilgrims set off from London to travel to Canterbury. Their destination was the tomb of Thomas a Becket, who was murdered in 1170. “Who will rid me of this turbulent priest” is an unsubstantiated quote of Henry II. Four knights did just that, right there in Canterbury Cathedral. The interesting thing to me, as a modern day pilgrim, is that these medieval pilgrims rode on horseback. Nowadays, purists believe that you should walk every step of the way to Santiago de Compostela. In the Middle Ages, the mode of transport was not important. You just had to get there!

IMG_5804.jpg

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I first came across the idea of pilgrimage when I studied English Literature at school. One of our set books was the Prologue to the Canterbury Tales by Chaucer. A merry band of pilgrims set off from London to travel to Canterbury. Their destination was the tomb of Thomas a Becket, who was murdered in 1170. “Who will rid me of this turbulent priest” is an unsubstantiated quote of Henry II. Four knights did just that, right there in Canterbury Cathedral. The interesting thing to me, as a modern day pilgrim, is that these medieval pilgrims rode on horseback. Nowadays, purists believe that you should walk every step of the way to Santiago de Compostela. In the Middle Ages, the mode of transport was not important. You just had to get there!

View attachment 178441
What a lovely image! And who will rid me of these turbulent other people? I am actually joking. I love the notion of pilgrimage. It may or may not be a Camino. When the two are in harmony, it is the alignment of forces that can lead to change, healing, discovery. I am just trying to take up your invitation, OP, to explore a little bit the idea of Pilgrimage. Thanks, it will help me to remember that my pilgrimage is never over, until it is!

Nowadays, purists believe that you should walk every step of the way to Santiago de Compostela.
I think we do ourselves and others a disservice by suggesting those who believe this are purists. It might be my personal goal, I expect many others will share that, and even perhaps encourage it. But while I am not sure what best describes those who want to mandate such notions, I know it certainly wouldn't be 'purist'.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Canterbury Tales is a truly funny book - the first in English too - but it isn't really about the pilgrimage to Canterbury, nor 'true' of pilgrimage to Canterbury. The pilgrimage is merely a vehicle to write a funny and caustic satire on society of that time.
The same with Trimalchio's Feast (by Petronius). It is not actually about a Roman dinner party, nor are the courses relevant or real - what it is is a hilarious and biting satire on wealthy Roman society of that time using a fictional feast as the vehicle for it.

As for the actual real pilgrimage, sure, most pilgrims walked - to own a horse meant wealth, a rare thing in those times (and these).

As an aside, leaving Pons (a few days north of Bordeaux) and passing through the old pilgrim hospital, the road through it has stone benches along either side for weary pilgrims and a long sealed up hatch to give out food .. there is plenty of medieval carved graffiti and about halfway down on the right hand side high up someone has carved their heraldic shield, using their dagger I should think. It could only have been carved by someone on horseback, an aristo, a knight - but plenty are at pedestrian pilgrim level.

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Cloister with prune in Santa Maria la Real monastery, Najera, La Rioja, Spain. There are several images under this heading here...
I have seen a lot of discussion threads on ¨Camino angels,¨ but I am interested in something different and didn´t find a thread on the topic. Who has photos of paintings, scultures, etc. of...
I first came across the idea of pilgrimage when I studied English Literature at school. One of our set books was the Prologue to the Canterbury Tales by Chaucer. A merry band of pilgrims set off...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.