Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggested accommodations

Jruder

Time of past OR future Camino
Fall 2024
Hello all! Any suggestions for accommodations in Pamplona, Puenta la Reina, Estella, Los Arcos and/or Logroño? My friend and I are walking our first (short, introductory) Camino this September 20-27, 2024. We hope to stick to this itenerary since we only have week. We prefer private accommodations. Also, that last trek from Los Arcos to Logrono is pretty long(17 miles) I’m worried about making that distance. Are there taxis available in this last section if needed? Thank you!
Janet

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello all! Any suggestions for accommodations in Pamplona, Puenta la Reina, Estella, Los Arcos and/or Logrona? My friend and I are walking our first (short, introductory) Camino this September 20-27, 2024. We hope to stick to this itenerary since we only have week. We prefer private accommodations. Also, that last trek from Los Arcos to Logrono is pretty long(17 miles) I’m worried about making that distance. Are there taxis available in this last section if needed? Thank you!
Janet
I’m sure you’ll get plenty of recommendations along this section of the CF. Do check-out Gronze.com for a good idea as to the variety of accommodations you can find with descriptions of them. Here are a few places with private rooms where I have stayed:

Puente La Reina - Albergue Jakue
Estella - Alda Estella Hostel
Los Arcis - Albergue Casa de la Abuela
Logroño - Winederful Hostel & Café

Private rooms in some places may get booked up as September is a busy month.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Also, that last trek from Los Arcos to Logrono is pretty long(17 miles) I’m worried about making that distance. Are there taxis available in this last section if needed? Thank you!
You could alter your stages so that you don't end up with a longer day than you are capable of.

Janet, my wife and I have hiked Camino Frances four times (2015, 2017, 2019, 2021) from St Jean to Santiago. We generally start in mid Sept and arrive in Santiago 35 days later. The last two caminos, we stayed exclusively in private albergues. We love the comfort, privacy and silence. Getting a great night's sleep and in most cases a good breakfast, really gets the day off to a good start. Here are places we've stayed, in most cases more than once:

Pamplona - Secrotel Europa
Puente La Reina - Hotel Jakue (hotel, not albergue), and Hotel El Cerco
Estella - Agora Hostel
San Sol - El Olivo de Sansol
Logrono - Hotel Sercotel Portales

Buen Camino!

Bob

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello all! Any suggestions for accommodations in Pamplona, Puenta la Reina, Estella, Los Arcos and/or Logroño? My friend and I are walking our first (short, introductory) Camino this September 20-27, 2024. We hope to stick to this itenerary since we only have week. We prefer private accommodations. Also, that last trek from Los Arcos to Logrono is pretty long(17 miles) I’m worried about making that distance. Are there taxis available in this last section if needed? Thank you!
Janet
I had to take a taxi from Viana to Logroño because I was wiped out. But my pack and bed were in Logroño. So it was either keep walking and die, or take a taxi. The taxi won. I tended to avoid intermediate stops because there is little to see or do in many of the tinier towns. Terradillos de los Templarios comes to mind. Ugh. The only thing there other than the two albergues is the dairy farm and cow barns. I wandered over and, since I speak Spanish, I was able to interact with the owner and he was explaining the milking machines to me. But, other than that…..ZEEERO.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had to take a taxi from Viana to Logroño because I was wiped out. But my pack and bed were in Logroño. So it was either keep walking and die, or take a taxi. The taxi won. I tended to avoid intermediate stops because there is little to see or do in many of the tinier towns. Terradillos de los Templarios comes to mind. Ugh. The only thing there other than the two albergues is the dairy farm and cow barns. I wandered over and, since I speak Spanish, I was able to interact with the owner and he was explaining the milking machines to me. But, other than that…..ZEEERO.
This is good to know. Since we have such little time we will stick to the main roads here. Thank you!

Janet, my wife and I have hiked Camino Frances four times (2015, 2017, 2019, 2021) from St Jean to Santiago. We generally start in mid Sept and arrive in Santiago 35 days later. The last two caminos, we stayed exclusively in private albergues. We love the comfort, privacy and silence. Getting a great night's sleep and in most cases a good breakfast, really gets the day off to a good start. Here are places we've stayed, in most cases more than once:

Estella - Agora Hostel

Buen Camino!

Bob
Thanks for the suggestions! This is very helpful! Did you book your accommodations before your trip or find them as you arrived at each location?

You could alter your stages so that you don't end up with a longer day than you are capable of.
Yes that’s true. But Logroño looked like the most interesting destination. However, someone said the wine festival is in Logroño the week we are there and it may be very busy. Are there other locations you would recommend for our last night on this route? Thank you

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes that’s true. But Logroño looked like the most interesting destination. However, someone said the wine festival is in Logroño the week we are there and it may be very busy. Are there other locations you would recommend for our last night on this route? Thank you
I absolutely love Logroño and encourage you to stay there.
I was thinking more in terms of adjusting your previous stages to be more balanced.

Here's a suggestion:

1000029301.jpg

In Sansol I can recommend the casa rural El Olivo de Sansol. I stayed there for the third time this year.

I was thinking more in terms of adjusting your previous stages to be more balanced.

Here's a suggestion:

View attachment 172538

In Sansol I can recommend the casa rural El Olivo de Sansol. I stayed there for the third time this year.
Oh this is good to know! Thank you. We were just going by the stages recommended on

Here's a suggestion:

View attachment 172538

Oh this is good to know! We were just following the stages recommended on Camino planning websites. Thanks!

Also, that last trek from Los Arcos to Logrono is pretty long(17 miles) I’m worried about making that distance. Are there taxis available in this last section if needed? Thank you!
There are towns to break up the stage. You should not be afraid of the longer distance without a town to stop in. Buy some good snacks and fruit the night before. When you tire look for a place to sit. You can always sit on your backpack. Stretch your legs, take off you trail runners and relax and eat and drink some of the extra water you brought that day. You really will feel refreshed after just 10-15 minutes to help push you thru to the next town. After you catch the camino spirit and want to come back again and again you may want to start walking less traveled caminos that can have stages of 30K without a town or bar. There are no food trucks on these caminos either ;) . This is good practice. You will be fine. Just walk and see what happens you may surprise yourself and say who needs a taxi???!!!!
P.S. you also can always stay in Viana and get up early the next morning and walk to Logrono. You could easily get there by 9AM.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you stay a night in Logroño, you might want to take advantage of their "Mural Tour Night" where they show you the different famous and amazing murals, history/background, etc. and the artist/s. It is a very nice way to enjoy another cultural aspect of Spain and to burn some calories after Calle Laurel. During the day, the have sidewalk bookstalls where posters, comic books, new/old/popular/rare Spanish/English/etc are sold. Enjoy Logrono. Buen Camino.

Last edited:
If you stay a night in Logrono, you might want to take advantage of their "Mural Tour Night" where they show you the different famous and amazing murals, history/background, etc. and the artist/s. It is a very nice way to enjoy another cultural aspect of Spain and to burn some calories after Calle Laurel. During the day, the have sidewalk bookstalls where posters, comic books, new/old/popular/rare Spanish/English/etc are sold. Enjoy Logrono. Buen Camino.
This April I stayed at Viana to break the stage. I went to evening mass and myself and another pelerine were blessed . They said a prayer for my late wife. A moment I shall remember all my life.If I am right you will have a fairly short walk to Logrono. I hope I am right. Please check prices as the hotel I stayed at ,nice but pricey.

Thanks to all who responded with suggestions. It is greatly appreciated and will help so much with planning. Also so sorry for the misspelled Logroño. 😉

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2

Estella - Agora Hostel

Buen Camino!

Bob
I second Agora in Estella. It is run by lovely people.

Janet
If you send me an email (email address removed. Please use private messaging on the forum) I’ll send you my accommodation list, which is mainly private hostels and hotels.

Last edited by a moderator:
ATTENTION:

Rioja Wine Harvest Festival

takes place September 20-26! All accommodations will fill up Logrono and Viana. Restaurants will be filled, fast food lines out the doors!
book way ahead. - difficult to find accommodations then

Option Use Booking.com To book hotel in advance

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi @Jruder you can walk as far and as fast as you want, the route it's plenty of places to stay. I recommend downloading the Forwalk Apps (free). This resource should cover everything you need to know in terms of navigation, planning, stages, accommodations and reservations. It lists albergues, the cost per room and gives contact information. If the albergue is on booking .com the link will be there. If not there is a phone number or email address https://app.forwalk.org/2/1/en/19/#-4.9/42.7/6.3/180

Hello all! Any suggestions for accommodations in Pamplona, Puenta la Reina, Estella, Los Arcos and/or Logroño? My friend and I are walking our first (short, introductory) Camino this September 20-27, 2024. We hope to stick to this itenerary since we only have week. We prefer private accommodations. Also, that last trek from Los Arcos to Logrono is pretty long(17 miles) I’m worried about making that distance. Are there taxis available in this last section if needed?
Pamplona: Hostal Rodas (~80€)
Puente de la Reina: Hostal El Real (~40€)
Estella: Hostal Alda (~40€)
Los Arcos: Hostal Monaco (~60€)
Logroño: Hostal Rioja Condestable (~65€)

All suggestions from mouth to mouth in 2019. Had to dig in my diary.
The part from Los Arcos to Logroño is almost flat, personally the part from Viana to the outskirts of Logroño I found boring and exhausting. After entering the city and walking by the river the vibe changes dramatically.

Have fun!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Pamplona: Hostal Rodas (~80€)
Puente de la Reina: Hostal El Real (~40€)
Estella: Hostal Alda (~40€)
Los Arcos: Hostal Monaco (~60€)
Logroño: Hostal Rioja Condestable (~65€)

All suggestions from mouth to mouth in 2019. Had to dig in my diary.
The part from Los Arcos to Logroño is almost flat, personally the part from Viana to the outskirts of Logroño I found boring and exhausting. After entering the city and walking by the river the vibe changes dramatically.

Have fun!
Thanks for that info!

I always book reservations in advance. Most places accept reservations months in advance. I make most on Booking.com but sometimes contact the albergue directly via their website (listed on Gronze.com) or contact them via email. Some places do not respond after the first contact, so I send a followup email a month or so later. This works well for us. My wife and I are planning to hike a 1/2 Camino Frances from Leon to Santiago in Sept, 2025. I've already decided our hiking plan so will book air travel and rooms later this year. Bob

Oh this is good to know! All advice until recently said no need to book too far in advance. Hopefully we won’t be too late since it sounds like it will be busy when we are there. Thanks!

Learn proper bathroom protocol on the Camino and share this info with other pilgrims.

Most read last week in this forum

I stayed at Hotel Burguete on this past Monday night. It was an absolutely horrible experience right from the start. It had been a grueling day walking from Orisson, and I was so exhausted that...
Hi- I will be finishing up the Via Podiensis in a few days and then starting on the Frances from SJPDP. Is there any reason for me to visit the pilgrim office (and probably wait on a long line)...
I am an Old School Pilgrim, too set in my ways, I can understand and accept the Cell Phone priorities sweeping today's Pilgrim community back in the good old bad days coin-fed albergue computers...
I arrived on the Francés yesterday in Estella. Stayed in the Albergue Curtadores on the entry to town. Few pilgrims for a big albergue. And tonight I’m by myself at the one-of-a-kind Casa Tiago in...
Good evening, everyone: I have recently returned from walking the Camino Frances from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela, my first Camino. It was a deeply moving experience for me and one which I...
My wife and I are planning to return to the CF next May (2025), having walked it in 2016. How far in advance can one book beds at Orisson and Roncesvalles? We had no trouble pre-booking these last...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back