Search 69,459 Camino Questions

starting thursday from san sebastian

hannahgrace

Time of past OR future Camino
8th august - 14th (san sebastian to bilbao)
hello all! i've just decided i want to walk as much as i can of the camino between san sebastian and bilbao. does anyone have any advice on what direction is best (as in bilbao to san sebastian or san sebastian to bilbao?). it also remains unclear to me whether or not reservations are important for sleeping spots on route - i had the idea that you could just walk and ask for a place to sleep for very cheap/ donation based contributions. but it seems everyone says accommodation is hard? i am a solo female traveller so it makes me nervous to think i might have to sleep on the streets if nothing is available! should i consider bringing a tent?!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
hello all! i've just decided i want to walk as much as i can of the camino between san sebastian and bilbao. does anyone have any advice on what direction is best (as in bilbao to san sebastian or san sebastian to bilbao?). it also remains unclear to me whether or not reservations are important for sleeping spots on route - i had the idea that you could just walk and ask for a place to sleep for very cheap/ donation based contributions. but it seems everyone says accommodation is hard? i am a solo female traveller so it makes me nervous to think i might have to sleep on the streets if nothing is available! should i consider bringing a tent?!
@hannahgrace welcome to the forum. I think you have quite a lot to consider.

The Camino del Norte is one of the pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela and therefore walked towards Santiago, east to west, San Sebastián to Bilbao.
If you are considering walking in the immediate future then you should be aware that you are entering peak holiday season and there will be considerable pressure on accommodation. This website https://www.gronze.com/camino-norte will give an over view of what’s available but pre-booking will be necessary if you want absolute security on where you’ll be staying. There are inexpensive and donativo (donativo does not mean free) Albergue but not many along that coast.

I don’t think a tent will offer much help, unless you’re an experienced stealth camper, and they’re heavy to carry.

Good luck and happy planning

If you intend to reach Santiago eventually on a later trip, start your walk in San Sebastian. I walked the northern Camino a few years ago and I had no trouble finding a bed for the night on any of the stages. For peace of mind book a hotel in advance. To walk into an albergue you will need a Pilgrim Passport, Generally speaking, if you reach an albergue in the early afternoon you should be able to get a bed. You cannot reserve places in albergues. Do some on line research before you start. Check out the travel companies that organise Caminos to get ideas.
cuidate de ti mismo, buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Hi Hannah!

I am in a similar boat to you. I just arrived in San Sebastián today and plan to make my way to Bilbao (from Irun). It looks like accommodation is more difficult than I thought looking online. For example the albergues in San Sebastián are already booked out. I have a brought my tent with me in case and seems there are a few paid campsites along the route also. If you want to connect maybe I can send my WhatsApp or something, would be good to hear if you’ve found any extra info!

So you decided to walk even if it means you may have to sleep on the streets? Is this a serious idea let alone a plan? WHEN are you planning to walk? In THREE days from now? REALLY? It is the holiday season now in Spain and (almost) everything will be fully booked.

Do yourself a favour and stick to the beach in Zandvoort.

If you intend to reach Santiago eventually on a later trip, start your walk in San Sebastian. I walked the northern Camino a few years ago and I had no trouble finding a bed for the night on any of the stages. For peace of mind book a hotel in advance. To walk into an albergue you will need a Pilgrim Passport, Generally speaking, if you reach an albergue in the early afternoon you should be able to get a bed. You cannot reserve places in albergues. Do some on line research before you start. Check out the travel companies that organise Caminos to get ideas.
cuidate de ti mismo, buen Camino
Just a small correction. You can't reserve a bed in municipal albergues and virtually all donativos. (I kind of remember seeing a donativo or 2 that took reservations. I could easily be wrong about that. But you can make reservations in almost all the private albergues.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Hi
We are currently on the Norte. We did the San Sebastián stages to Bilbao two weeks ago. A few points. Yes it’s the height of the tourism season and the pilgrims walk season. Lots of people around. Distances between places in these early stages are greater than later on the Camino. This means if you miss out on an Albergue you have little choice but to hike to a more distant town. We booked all our accommodation for the first week in order to secure accommodation. Finally, on the road sections it’s very very hot. The Zarautz to Deba and the Markina Xemein to Gernica sections can be brutal in the heat. The last thing you need is to worry about securing a room or bed for the night. On the plus side, the countryside is absolutely stunning. Buen Camino.

Walk East to West (San Sebastian to Bilbao) because that's the way the yellow arrows take you and if you go the other way they could be out of sight on the other side of lamp posts and other street furniture. Get a guide book: this will have telephone numbers of albergues, casa rurales and some hotels (you will need a pilgrim passport - credencial - for albergues) and you can ring ahead at lunch time when you have an idea where you might get to in the evening and, for casas and some albergues make a booking. A tent is deadweight - in walking all the Camino Frances and the Del Norte / Primitivo I have never wanted one, nor a padded sleeping bag: a sheet sleeping bag has been enough (but I choose my time carefully, not winter or June, July and August). Good luck! William

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
You are treating a pilgrimage route as if it is a GR! I agree with MinaKamina.

You might contact the following for information as well as here. (I took a screenshot from a website) tap the image to enlarge it. You will not be able to send a pm till you have five messages, I think. Buen camino.
1722884742981.png

Hi Hannah!

I am in a similar boat to you. I just arrived in San Sebastián today and plan to make my way to Bilbao (from Irun). It looks like accommodation is more difficult than I thought looking online. For example the albergues in San Sebastián are already booked out. I have a brought my tent with me in case and seems there are a few paid campsites along the route also. If you want to connect maybe I can send my WhatsApp or something, would be good to hear if you’ve found any extra info!
Hey Andy! Yes let’s contact via WhatsApp - very curious to hear how you are getting along. What’s the best way to do this?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think you need to have sent 5 messages before you can pm. Personal contact details are not allowed on public messages on forum

So you decided to walk even if it means you may have to sleep on the streets? Is this a serious idea let alone a plan? WHEN are you planning to walk? In THREE days from now? REALLY? It is the holiday season now in Spain and (almost) everything will be fully booked.

Do yourself a favour and stick to the beach in Zandvoort.
I don’t think this was a necessary message to put out into the world. It upset me. All the best, H

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey Andy! Yes let’s contact via WhatsApp - very curious to hear how you are getting along. What’s the best way to do this?
Hi Hannah! Looks like I can’t private message you because I am a new member (something about 5 posts need to be made first). Are you able to message me?

I’m also unable to message you! I will start on Friday morning from SS

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

After a peaceful night at the beautiful Blai Blai Hostel in Zarautz, we were all awakened at 5:00am by a young man repacking his huge pack, in the middle of the floor, with his bunk light on...
I’m fairly new to this forum and it has been VERY helpful preparing me and answering a multitude of questions prior to my 1st Camino. Currently, I have just completed Day 14 of the Norte which...
This is just a shot in the dark but if anyone starting on the Del Norte finds a New Zealand passport lost today (Saturday 14th September between Hendaye and Sebastian, please PM message me and...
I saw that someone mentioned recently having walked from Santander to Liencres on a coastal route. I am here in Santander and would like to take that route. I’m brand new to the Camino and to...
At CSJ Alberque San Martin de Miraz. If yours, contact hospitaleros on 0034-982-830700 with your name and date if visit (from pilgrim passport) and we will arrange return.
I am currently walking the Camino del Norte and seem to have dropped a small brown sunglass case with sunglass clip inside. Somewhere between Castro-Urdiales and Laredo, by way of Liendo. It is in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back