Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting 2nd week of October Leon-Santiago - tips?

Rikky

Time of past OR future Camino
October 7-24 2024 Leon to Santiago
Hello everyone,

Amazing to see how constructive and inspiring this forum is. I can't wait to start my first Camino on October 8th.
I'll be flying into Madrid October 7th and take the bus or train down to Leon October 8th and walk to Santiago in roughly 2-2.5 weeks. I am quite an experienced hiker, with some multiday hikes under my belt as well, but never had to deal with questions like the ones I have below before:

1. Booking. Is mid-October still busy, or I am I fine with no booking between Leon-Santiago and see where the Camino takes me? I'm fine with staying in dorms, although perhaps the occasional private room would be nice. My Spanish skills are adequate enough for communicating with albergues.

2. Any Spanish holidays I need to take into account? I know it's National Day of Spain on October 12th. Does that mean it would be smart to book in advance for these nights or is it okay to just stay out of the bigger towns around that date?

3. I just read to take the route to Vilar de Mazarife from Leon in order to avoid the industrial terrain going out of Leon. Anymore useful advice to avoid similar paths on my route?

4. Any tips that I might have overseen?

Thank you all and buen camino if you still have it on your calendar.

All best,
Rixt from Groningen (Netherlands)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My experience on the CF regarding finding a bed is that if you arrive early afternoon to your destination, you shouldn’t have any problem. However, I would book ahead in Santiago particularly if you want a private room.

I remember the walking in and out of Vilar de Mazarife to be quite pleasant. I had a nice evening at the Albergue San Antonio de Padua. Nice town square where you can enjoy a cold beer with Camino friends after a hot day of walking.

Some albergues will likely be closing for the season beginning in mid October, however once you reach Galicia all the Xunta owned albergues will be open. (Open 365 days per year.) There are many of those on this route. They don't take reservations and are 10 euros cash each night. They have nice kitchens, but no utensils, pots, pans, etc.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
1. Booking. Is mid-October still busy, or I am I fine with no booking between Leon-Santiago and see where the Camino takes me? I'm fine with staying in dorms, although perhaps the occasional private room would be nice. My Spanish skills are adequate enough for communicating with albergues.

I would not prebook much in October.
3. I just read to take the route to Vilar de Mazarife from Leon in order to avoid the industrial terrain going out of Leon. Anymore useful advice to avoid similar paths on my route

A very good advice. Take left just after La Virgen del Camino. Good signage. Much more peaceful. Good options there. I have stayed twice in albergue Jesus. Small cafe there. Peaceful, with a garden. Also, just after Hospital de Orbigo take right to Villares del Orbigo. Much more peaceful, same distance to Astorga. The road route from Leon is awful.

2. Any Spanish holidays I need to take into account? I know it's National Day of Spain on October 12th. Does that mean it would be smart to book in advance for these nights or is it okay to just stay out of the bigger towns around that date?

I have no clue, do a Google search.

As for 4) you'll learn by doing. Let the Way teach you. :cool:

"Thank you all and buen camino if you still have it on your calendar."

It is always on my calendar after 15 years of many Caminos... :cool:

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
My husband had some trouble finding a bed in Foncebaden in 2021 during the Spanish holiday. Mostly tour buses of people who had booked out all the private reservable albergues. He found a bed in the non-reservable places, though.

November 1st, All Saints Day, is a very popular day to arrive in Santiago, and there was a wave of perigrinos aiming for that arrival date when I walked in 2021. One thing to be aware of is the days are short, sunrise is late (like 9 am in late October just before Daylight Savings), and afternoons become chilly. It becomes difficult to do laundry and hang it in the sun to dry with such short days. I found I would save up and use a machine every 3-4 days.

Hello everyone,

Amazing to see how constructive and inspiring this forum is. I can't wait to start my first Camino on October 8th.
I'll be flying into Madrid October 7th and take the bus or train down to Leon October 8th and walk to Santiago in roughly 2-2.5 weeks. I am quite an experienced hiker, with some multiday hikes under my belt as well, but never had to deal with questions like the ones I have below before:

3. I just read to take the route to Vilar de Mazarife from Leon in order to avoid the industrial terrain going out of Leon. Anymore useful advice to avoid similar paths on my route?

All best,
The early mornings are chilly. Found a tuque and light gloves were welcome.

I walked the Frances roughly the same time frame fall 2023 and arrived in Leon on Oct 16. Albergues generally had space if you arrived early, but for peace of mind I usually booked a day ahead, particularly in less populated stretches. The weather the first half of October was hot and dry and beautiful, from October 15 on …contunuous rain, the trail thinned out and places started to shut down the last couple of days in October. The Spanish National Holiday on Oct 11-12 didn’t draw the crowds I had anticipated after reading the May 1 posts, but I did some planning to take that into account. If the weather is nice — it falls on a long weekend this year, so your experience might vary.

Whatever you get — you’ll have a great trip.

Buen Camino!

Thank you everyone! This has been extremely helpful. Especially the weather updates as well, I realized there’d be rain seeing how green Galicia is. But I didn’t expect it to actually be quite chilly as well!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello everyone,

All best,
San Froilan/Medieval Festival will be going on about that time in Leon. I had no trouble getting beds in 2016 and 17, but times change.

I walked the CF last October and yes it rained for two weeks solid in the second half. I couldn't have done without my rain coat, rain pants and umbrella.
My merino wool T-shirt didn't get washed for two weeks. It was just hung up to dry. Loved it though. No trouble getting beds in albergues. Didn't book.

Most read last week in this forum

I can’t believe I’m just starting my 4th week on the Camino! Frómista to Carrión de los Condes, 12.5 miles, 20.11 Km. A rather uneventful day, which I don’t mind after yesterday’s intense day...
Hello all, I'm planing a 10-14 day walk from SJPP to .. as far as I get. Will be walking a slower pace (about 8 miles) and plan to cross from SJPP to Roncevalles in 2 days. Once leaving...
Hi, I’ve walked four Caminos in the past and hope to do another in June next year, though my arthritis might have another opinion… We all walk our own Camino our own way… I’ve still got the...
It's almost there thankfully the big walk begins tomorrow, raining all day according to the forecast. Trying to get a few hours sleep tonight and a good breakfast in the morning. I've done all my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back