• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo on Camino Portuguese--Costal & Spiritual Routes

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
Moderator note: this post was moved from another thread to create this new thread, and posts from another thread have been moved here.

Ok, I am a bit confused as to how to make a post. I do not see an orange Post button? I don't know if I have to reply to 5 posts first? I am pretty good with my phone and my laptop, but this site is somewhat confusing to me. But, this is my 2nd day! So??? Ok: Starting from Porto September 12. Wanting to go Costal Route and also walk the Spiritual Route. This is a Spiritual Pilgrimage for me so information on Mass and open churches/cathedrals as well as all route, lodging and eating suggestions much appreciated. Blessings!

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
With regard to the route and accommodations, if you haven’t already found these resources, check out Gronze.com and the app Mapy.cz. You will find a great deal of logistical information on Gronze and you can follow the route in stages all the way from Porto to Santiago.

As this is a spiritual journey, you’ll find the Variente Espiritual particularly meaningful including the Monestario Armenteria, the Route of Stone & Water, and the final boat section to Padron. Start your journey at the cathedral in Porto, visit, too, the cathedral in Vigo, and the very beautiful Basilica de Santa Maria in Pontevedra. You’ll be able to visit numerous churches in towns and villages along The Way. Bom Caminho.

Hello all! I am so very happy to find this forum. I am walking solo beginning 12 September 2024. This is my first solo walk. I want to walk the Costal and Espiritual Routes but have been told not to miss Tui. So, although I am pretty good with maps--it appears that I can walk out of Matosinhos along the coast to Caminha and cut back in to Valencia up to Tui. Then go up to Pontevedra and take the Variante Espiritual route to Padron and on to Santiago. Does this route work or am I missing something? Where also do you suggest I not miss--perhaps staying an extra day? Also, any places to stay that will have a private room that you can recommend is appreciated as well as places to eat. I know this is a lot and I thank you in advance! Blessings.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Although you will come across many churches that are open, whether there is a mass or service that fits with your walking schedule remains to be seen. There are sometimes evening services in churches in larger cities, but in the smaller towns there may be only one service per week. I was surprised however, to find volunteers in some of the small churches, who were there to stamp your credential and answer basic questions. And there will be several small chapels and churches where you can simply sit, pray, and meditate. As for accommodations, my preferred solution was to speak with the albergue owner where I was staying, and ask him/her to help me make a reservation for the next night, or ask about good places to eat. They are an excellent resource. BTW, the basilica of Santa Maria in Pontevedra, although really interesting, was closed when I was there in April and no indication of when it might be open. But the lovely Church of the Virgin Pilgrim, also in Pontevedra, is not to be missed! Bom Caminho!

image.jpg

Since you will be going to Padrón, visit the Iglesia de Santiago Apóstol de Padrón. It will be a memorable visit. Then go across the bridge behind the church to the Municipal Albergue office (well-marked) and obtain a "Padrónia" which is a special pilgrim certificate that they issue.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello all! I am so very happy to find this forum. I am walking solo beginning 12 September 2024. This is my first solo walk. I want to walk the Costal and Espiritual Routes but have been told not to miss Tui. So, although I am pretty good with maps--it appears that I can walk out of Matosinhos along the coast to Caminha and cut back in to Valencia up to Tui. Then go up to Pontevedra and take the Variante Espiritual route to Padron and on to Santiago. Does this route work or am I missing something? Where also do you suggest I not miss--perhaps staying an extra day? Also, any places to stay that will have a private room that you can recommend is appreciated as well as places to eat. I know this is a lot and I thank you in advance! Blessings.
Hi. With regard to Caminha and then Valenca it's very straightforward and stay this Portugal side of river. There is a hostel/albergue along this route about 5kms out with private rooms. This will still leave another 25km walk to Valenca the following day. I've done it so the kms are fairly accurate. Anyways check out Gronze as it mentions the afore mentioned accommodation. P.s Many pilgrims choose this route so you won't be solo. Enjoy. Daniel

Hi. With regard to Caminha and then Valenca it's very straightforward and stay this Portugal side of river. There is a hostel/albergue along this route about 5kms out with private rooms. This will still leave another 25km walk to Valenca the following day. I've done it so the kms are fairly accurate. Anyways check out Gronze as it mentions the afore mentioned accommodation. P.s Many pilgrims choose this route so you won't be solo. Enjoy. Daniel

Most read last week in this forum

Well, I have some health issues and no room at the inn issues. My leg flaring up has really caused a problem. My husband and I are in Vila do Conde looking for a nice place to sleep tomorrow. I...
I just completed the Camino Portugués (Senda Litoral and Spiritual Variant) - I walked from Aug. 29th to Sept. 12th - and I want to share lessons learned. On the plus side: - The...
Here is my photo video from the Camino Portugues, costal route. We chose almost every opportunity to go Litoral - right out on the coastline. Only the day between Esposende and Viana do Castelo we...
I'm currently planning to walk the CP coastal route next fall, and I know that some of the seaside towns along the way can get crowded with people on holiday and surfing during the summer months...
Walking Litoral from Porto beginning 25 Oct. Will places to stay be open? Thanks!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back