• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo 13 days, Portugues + Variante Espiritual + SDC to Finistera/ Muxia — Which town/ city to start in Portugal?

Utaramata

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, August - September 2017
I have 13 days and would love to walk the combination above.. Im wondering If this is possible in 13 days since Id have to be in Lisbon by 22 August.

Im in Vila do Conde now but am thinking of starting from Ponte de Lima on 7 or 8 August. Or if you guys know a better option?

I will have to send my backpack for the first 2-3 days as well to go easy at the beginning since im still recovering.

Initially I had 3 weeks to do the full journey but had injured myself hence the limited time frame now 😔

It’s not necessary for me to get a camino certificate, since I’ve done the Frances some years ago. But I’m looking for a walk with less touristy vibe.

Thank you for the help!

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Thirteen days is more than enough time to walk from Ponte de Lima to Santiago and include the included Espiritual. This timeframe also gives you the time to walk some shorter days or take a rest day (like in Pontevedra). . You’ll be very glad you included the VE in your Camino plans. It was very special to visit the Monestario Armenteria, the route of stone and water, and the final boat ride to Padron. All were highlights of our Camino. Enjoy.

I have 13 days and would love to walk the combination above.. Im wondering If this is possible in 13 days since Id have to be in Lisbon by 22 August.

Im in Vila do Conde now but am thinking of starting from Ponte de Lima on 7 or 8 August. Or if you guys know a better option?

I will have to send my backpack for the first 2-3 days as well to go easy at the beginning since im still recovering.

Initially I had 3 weeks to do the full journey but had injured myself hence the limited time frame now 😔

It’s not necessary for me to get a camino certificate, since I’ve done the Frances some years ago. But I’m looking for a walk with less touristy vibe.

Thank you for the help!

Ponte de Lima would be a good place to start if you want to do the central route to Redondela via Tui. Or, you could start at Viana do Costello, a bit north of where you are now, if you want to do the coastal route via Caminha and Vigo to Redondela. Depends on the type of scenery you want to see going north.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thirteen days is more than enough time to walk from Ponte de Lima to Santiago and include the included Espiritual. This timeframe also gives you the time to walk some shorter days or take a rest day (like in Pontevedra). . You’ll be very glad you included the VE in your Camino plans. It was very special to visit the Monestario Armenteria, the route of stone and water, and the final boat ride to Padron. All were highlights of our Camino. Enjoy.
Thank you! Do you think its also possible to include the walk to Finistera in this 13 days?

Ponte de Lima would be a good place to start if you want to do the central route to Redondela via Tui. Or, you could start at Viana do Costello, a bit north of where you are now, if you want to do the coastal route via Caminha and Vigo to Redondela. Depends on the type of scenery you want to see going north.
Thank you! I just booked 1 night accomodation at Viana do Castelo for tomorrow actually (since its closer to Ponte de Lima).

Which would be a more quiet route? From what I heard the central route has a more “pilgrim vibe” hence my thinking of starting the journey from Ponte de Lima

Last edited:
Thank you! I just booked 1 night accomodation at Viana do Castelo for tomorrow actually (since its closer to Ponte de Lima).

Which would be a more quiet route? From what I heard the central route has a more “pilgrim vibe” hence my thinking of atartijg the journey from Ponte de Lima
Yes, I think that's a fair assessment. The coastal route includes some noisy beach resorts that can detract from the pilgrim vibe. Central is quieter.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
The Coastal is extremely quiet. I don't remeber any noisy beach resorts

Thank you for the help!
I commend you to doing the Portuguese! It is magical. Any special reason you want to walk to Finesterre? I think with a healing injury it will be difficult. Options: depart from Vigo then you should be OK. Or leave from Portugal and take transport to Muxia/Finesterre. Whatever you choose, take your time and enjoy!

Thank you!

I ended up deciding to have extra couple of days rest and will start walking the Camino from Valença tomorrow instead of Ponte de Lima 🙂

The reason for walking Finisterra// Muxia is to follow the pagan tradition of pilgrimage towards the sea, and it’s pretty important for me. But i will see how I go once i get to Santiago! If its way too much I will have to put my ego aside and take the bus there, and perhaps just walk the part between Finisterra to Muxia 😅

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sounds like a great idea. I have a few suggestions of places to stay if you haven’t already booked. Buen Camino!
Thank you!

Do you have recommendations on where to stay during Variante Espritiual?

I heard about the Armenteira Monastery but they dont take pilgrims during the summer?

Just thinking of how to break the stages in the best way

Thank you!

I heard about the Armenteira Monastery but they dont take pilgrims during the summer?

Friends stayed at the monastery in June. Great spot right before the Route of Stone and Water.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you!

You can’t stay at the monastery unless you are staying at least 2 nights. They don’t want to be a place for peregrinos. There is an albergue - get a reservation or we stayed at he Pousada Armenteira- beautiful. There are other places in the area that will pick you up and then drop you back the next morning. The pilgrims service is wonderful. The best part of it all was the Path of stone and water. Magical. There is a great hostel in Ponte Arnelas and breaks up what would be a REALLY LONG DAY.

We broke the VE into three nights back in earlyJuly. It was great! 100% recommend.

From Pontevedra, it was a really short walk to Combarro (~11 KM) We took advantage of that for a long lazy morning in Pontevedra before hitting the road.

From Combarro it was a big climb up to the monastery then a gorgeous long stroll along the Route of Stone and Water to Barrantes. Finally, a pretty straightforward day to Vilanova de Arousa and an 8 AM ferry the next morning.

Our lodging:
CombarroNuestra Senora del Camino34 649053236
BarrantesOs Castanos986710236 Ruben
Vila Nova de ArousaPension Mar de Rosa34 613572832

In all three cases we chose a private room. Nuestra Senhora del Camino was really nice! It also offers dorm style lodging. Os Castaños was a little old fashioned, but served one of the best breakfasts we had on our entire Camino. Pension Mar de Rosa *very* simple room with shared bath. Very friendly host.

An advantage of walking the VE is that anyone starting in Tui *soley* to walk "the last hundred KM" and get their Compostela don't take the VE, the boat ride disqualifies them. Therefore, the VE is less crowded than the Central from Pontevedra to Santiago. The pilgrims we met on the VE had started in Porto or Lisbon.

Hope this helps you make a decision! More information on our experience under our Live from the Camino thread titled "Slow and Steady".

The Coastal is extremely quiet. I don't remeber any noisy beach resorts
I was thinking of Póvoa de Verzim, Esposende and particularly Nigrán in Spain. Here are my notes on the latter: "At Nigrán, we encountered the Playa America, one of the largest and most popular beaches in northern Spain, over 1000 meters long and 30 meters wide. This being a Sunday in August, and a nice, sunny Sunday at that, the place was packed with sprawling sunbathers. In spots where the boardwalk petered out, Bina and I had to step around the half-naked bodies, feeling very much out of place in our heavy walking shoes and backpacks." We went in the peak of summer so perhaps you did it in a quieter season?

Most read last week in this forum

Well, I have some health issues and no room at the inn issues. My leg flaring up has really caused a problem. My husband and I are in Vila do Conde looking for a nice place to sleep tomorrow. I...
I’m looking for recommendations for camino memoirs specific to the Portuguese camino. Ideally, the coastal route but I’ll take what I can find. I read a plethora of memoirs from the French route...
Here is my photo video from the Camino Portugues, costal route. We chose almost every opportunity to go Litoral - right out on the coastline. Only the day between Esposende and Viana do Castelo we...
Walking Litoral from Porto beginning 25 Oct. Will places to stay be open? Thanks!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back