Search 69,459 Camino Questions

skipping O Porriño?

Scottteresa30

Time of past OR future Camino
My husband and I will be walking from Sarria late sept 2016 for our 30th anniversary
We will be starting in Valence in Sept, 2024.
If we bus through Oporrino to miss the industrial area, are we still able to get the Compostela?
And where does the Industrial area start?
Thank you for any help!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think that you are talking about walking the Camino Portugués from Valença and skipping O Porriño.

If you skip any part within the final 100 km to Santiago you are ineligible for a Compostela. But there is an alternate route into O Porriño that skips the industrial section.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The industry is hardly big industry plus the alternative route is very well marked.

Last edited:
Even with the "industrial area" route, there is a lovely wooded and stream-side entrance to O Porrino and O Porrino is a good town to have a look around and relax. We met a group of "Smile" nurses/medical people on Camino there (volunteers who do cleft lip/palate repair in third world countries). The industrial area wasn't inspiring, but wasn't a huge detraction either. The best parts of the Portugues, to me, were the towns like Pontevedra and especially Tui.

Echoing what everyone else has said: there's a lovely "Camino Complementario" to get in to O Porriño. We walked it a few days ago! (I was also apprehensive about this stretch but it wasn't at all like I'd feared.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Have I totally miscalculated my route...I'm.in villa de conde and have arranged to go to barcelos then onto ponte de Lima?
Hello all, I’m about to embark on my first Portuguese Camino! From Lisbon to Santiago de Compostela, 385.25 miles over 29 days of walking, but 31 days total because I’m giving myself an extra day...
I am currently on the Caminho Português Central. I discovered this place on my way to an albergue I had already booked. The owner Saimon is a very friendly guy and eager to host pilgrims at his...
I just finished Camino Portugués Central this summer and stayed in Albergaria Pinheiro's, I guess most of you have stayed this place. Thisi is the process of making this personalized "Sello" by him.
We are currently on the first day of the Portuguese Camino. At the Pilgrim’s office in Lisbon, they indicated that there was a gate now in between Vila Franca de Xira and Azambuja (2nd stage). Has...
I will be in Lisbon for a couple of weeks and will have some free days. I definitely will be walking the new river path from Sacavém, and I may be able to do as many as 6 or 7 day stages...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back