• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Skipping a day

Makaala

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
Hola. I’m in Logroño and my body needs a day of rest so I’m taking the bus to my next accommodation. Just wondering if it’s ok to get stamps today? I like getting them but don’t want to get if protocol says I shouldn’t. I’m not doing this walk to get a certificate though it would be nice.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I’d say that you do your journey how you see fit and if you visit the places where stamps can be given before and after your bus journey, and it feels right & fun, then go for it! If you are doing it for spiritual or religious reasons then meditate/pray about it and see what the right answer is for you.

Some people start their journey wayyyy beyond Logroño, some people go by bike, some go parts by car due to injury etc, so there is no answer that is ‘the right answer’. This is your pilgrimage. If a bus journey and stamps are part of your journey, absolutely go for it. If you think it would not feel authentic or whatever else, then don’t. I think the main protocol is that no one can dictate what your pilgrimage means to you and how to shape it for you.

Have a good journey and Ultreia!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola. I’m in Logroño and my body needs a day of rest so I’m taking the bus to my next accommodation. Just wondering if it’s ok to get stamps today? I like getting them but don’t want to get if protocol says I shouldn’t. I’m not doing this walk to get a certificate though it would be nice.
The only "protocol" that applies to obtaining the Pilgrim Proficiency Certificate (Compostela) is that you walk the final 100km into Santiago and obtain two stamps per day during that progress. Meanwhile collect as many or as few as you're inclined.

I guess your accommodation is pre-booked? Otherwise, and if I were you, I'd spend a week in Logrono until I felt much better ;)

The only requirement for getting a stamp is that you and the credencial are in the same place at the same time. So far as the compostela is concerned, only the last 100 km count. If you want to stay at a public albergue, they prefer it that you walked there that day, but equally likely they will let you stay if they believe you are genuinely walking to Santiago. Do what you have to do, take care of yourself and don´t let others judge you. Buen camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sure! Why not? I took days off in bigger cities a couple times and got stamps everywhere I could. I just loved the souvenirs they created. By the end of my walk I had 2 passports full of stamps, plus the Finisterre-Muxia passport! Have fun with getting stamps everywhere, you'll look at them and remember your journey along the way when you come back home.
Buen camino, and rest well!

You can spend a Rest Day in Logrono and walk the distance the next day . Most Albergue will allow a second day. Sometime we want to stay with the group you walk with , either way—

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
In terms of the Compostela, they are only concerned with the stamps within the last 100km. Logroño is well past that. In terms of the Distance Certificate, I don't think they check scrupulously to ensure you have walked every step of every day.

I’d say that you do your journey how you see fit and if you visit the places where stamps can be given before and after your bus journey, and it feels right & fun, then go for it! If you are doing it for spiritual or religious reasons then meditate/pray about it and see what the right answer is for you.

Some people start their journey wayyyy beyond Logroño, some people go by bike, some go parts by car due to injury etc, so there is no answer that is ‘the right answer’. This is your pilgrimage. If a bus journey and stamps are part of your journey, absolutely go for it. If you think it would not feel authentic or whatever else, then don’t. I think the main protocol is that no one can dictate what your pilgrimage means to you and how to shape it for you.

Have a good journey and Ultreia!
The stamps don’t matter until the last 100 km.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Credencial … I had a cycle from our home in SW France that stopped at Dax in 2014 (spinal cord tumour played up). I want to have my previous effort included (especially since I will be doing the return portion as well), both Credencials will need authentication at SJPDP? Question: Do I just continue with stamping my Credencial from 2014, or start the new Credencial and offer them both to the Pilgrims Office in SDC?

Most read last week in this forum

A question for couples of different sexes: do you sleep separately in the albergues? Do you pay more, and/or is it more complicated to book, to sleep in the same dorm (in separate bunk beds, of...
This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back