Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPDP pilgrim office - why?

Mananath

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances July 2022
Hi- I will be finishing up the Via Podiensis in a few days and then starting on the Frances from SJPDP. Is there any reason for me to visit the pilgrim office (and probably wait on a long line)?

My credential has tons of space, I don't need a shell and I am very much in the Camino headspace now.

Will I miss anything if I skip it? When I previously walked the Frances I started in Pamplona.

Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hi- I will be finishing up the Via Podiensis in a few days and then starting on the Frances from SJPDP. Is there any reason for me to visit the pilgrim office (and probably wait on a long line)?

My credential has tons of space, I don't need a shell and I am very much in the Camino headspace now.

Will I miss anything if I skip it? When I previously walked the Frances I started in Pamplona.

Thanks!
None whatsoever. Nice people, free to everyone; but if you don’t need them they’ve a queue to deal with.

1) they always provide good advice, as well as friendliness

2) their information is always most up to date, and their lodging lists, whilst not perfect, will always be an excellent complement to other sources

3) besides, in France, it's considered fairly impolite to not go and give a friendly bonjour...

If you see a long line, shrug, go off and get yourself a coffee, then come back after the line has vanished.

You can get a printed list with all the albergues in the pilgrim office. That list also includes distances between the towns / albergues, availability of kitchens ect. in the albergues, how many beds, prices. ect. Very useful!

Also, a printed info sheet which shows the elevation profile of the way.

It's like a very basic, but very useful guide book.

I always stop there to get a stamp and the accommodation list (and because I like the atmosphere).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Thanks!
No.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
1) they always provide good advice, as well as friendliness

2) their information is always most up to date, and their lodging lists, whilst not perfect, will always be an excellent complement to other sources

3) besides, in France, it's considered fairly impolite to not go and give a friendly bonjour...

If you see a long line, shrug, go off and get yourself a coffee, then come back after the line has vanished.
In addition, SJPdP is the starting point of CF (?) :)

Somebody has posted statistics in the forum from that office in the past. I’ve found that to be useful for gauging relative crowds on the CF during various times of the year. Compostela numbers from the pilgrim office in SdeC are skewed by the large numbers of pilgrims on other Camino routes or starting closer to SdeC. So if for no other reason, stop in at SJPP, get a stamp, and have your head counted!

P.S. On my first CF I arrived by bus from Pamplona around 1600, and there was no line. This was during the typically busy third week of September.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Compostela numbers from the pilgrim office in SdeC are skewed by the large numbers of pilgrims on other Camino routes or starting closer to SdeC.
I would question the idea of "skewed". That seems to imply that SJPDP to Santiago is the norm and other starting points or routes are an aberration. It has been quite some time since SJPDP to Santiago could justifiably claim to be "the Camino". The picture these days is far more complex.

I would question the idea of "skewed". That seems to imply that SJPDP to Santiago is the norm and other starting points or routes are an aberration. It has been quite some time since SJPDP to Santiago could justifiably claim to be "the Camino". The picture these days is far more complex.
I meant in terms of gauging how crowded the CF would be during various seasons prior to the merger of other routes as the CF approaches SdeC and prior to Sarria.

You can get a printed list with all the albergues in the pilgrim office. ... Also, a printed info sheet which shows the elevation profile of the way.
And a paper version of this:
1653636909990-png.126456

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Unless I wanted a credencial I probably wouldn't visit the pilgrim office and add to their workload. I didn't on my last visit to SJPDP despite staying just across the street in Beilari. I can read a weather forecast fairly well. I don't visit the Santiago pilgrim office these days either. So I will be one of the "invisible" pilgrims as far as the statistics go.

Thanks!
I didn’t. I still walked it without problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
If one already has a set of credentials obviously a visit to the pilgrim's office in SJPdP isn't a necessity and one isn't required to go there to get a shell to hang off one's backpack. 😄
I always go there simply because I enjoy going there even if I already have a set of credentials. I've never experienced a line to get in and I like to talk and meet with the gracious volunteers. I always get a set of credentials and a stamp even if I already have some. The credentials are only two Euro.
They also provide a packet of other information about the Camino.
The pilgrim's office has a good vibe and it's part of my Camino experience.

Thanks!
It is all in the timing.. The pilgrim office in SJPP is a cute as a button and the most genuinely beautiful people volunteer there.. That in itself it lovely to just be with people who share what they can to help
people like us... So YES.. I would bc they give you a map and go to great lengths to make sure you leave Basque Country will full understanding of the Walk over the Pyrenees ... if you dont need anything great. But stop in , say Hello, say Thankyou , make a donation.. but dont count it out .. safe journey

Arriving off the 14:22 from Bayonne I wandered up to the Bureau Pèlerin to get a "first stamp". That late in the afternoon the volunteer was a bit concerned when I said "No, I didn't need a bed". "Vous allez à Orisson?"" Non, Valcarlos."" Bonne idée".

I'll not pass that way again but I remember the place and the people that staff it with real affection

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I stopped in at the office this afternoon. Lovely people. I got a stamp, a map for tomorrow and some conversation. Only waited about 10 min.

I have nothing to compare to but it seems that SJPDP isn't very busy right now.

I stopped in at the office this afternoon. Lovely people. I got a stamp, a map for tomorrow and some conversation. Only waited about 10 min.

I have nothing to compare to but it seems that SJPDP isn't very busy right now.
Hooray for you !!!! HUGS... Great feeling right... Pay Basque !!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi- I will be finishing up the Via Podiensis in a few days and then starting on the Frances from SJPDP. Is there any reason for me to visit the pilgrim office (and probably wait on a long line)...
I am an Old School Pilgrim, too set in my ways, I can understand and accept the Cell Phone priorities sweeping today's Pilgrim community back in the good old bad days coin-fed albergue computers...
I arrived on the Francés yesterday in Estella. Stayed in the Albergue Curtadores on the entry to town. Few pilgrims for a big albergue. And tonight I’m by myself at the one-of-a-kind Casa Tiago in...
i did the French way a couple of years ago from Roncesvalles, right after covid. i’m elderly and very slow. i would like to return in 2025, to do it again while my body may still let me. last...
I passed through Nájera today. To quote John Lennon, “ I just had to look”. As you probably know, the red sandstone cliffs run right alongside the houses. Definitely unusual. These red beds...
Hello from Roncesvalles! My husband and I made it safely through the fog to the monastery from Borda this morning. Now looking forward to our next accommodations. Please note: There are lots of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back