Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I book an albergue in SJPDP for Sep

Amelialee

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
Hello everyone!

I am planning to walk the Camino Frances starting Sept 13th this year and need some advice regarding my first night in SJPDP.
I booked a private albergue just in case because I heard September's usually packed but I prefer the public ones.

I am taking a TGV from Paris to SJPDP, arriving around 1:41 pm and I heard the public albergue (e.g. 55) opens at 2 o'clock.
So I'm wondering if I would be able to make it. I am thinking of going there to register first and then go to the pilgrims' office.

What do you guys think I should do? Stick to my booking or Ok to go to the public albergue?
Any opinions and advice are fully welcomed.

Thank you so much!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Ameilalee, stick to your booking. The train may be late - You will have to change in Bayonne - and you can check in and then visit the Pilgrims Office and do all you have to do without the hassle of looking for accommodation on arrival at the albergue which may or may not have a bed. Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I like public albergues and donativos, too, but September is a very busy month for starting in SJPDP.

For me they house the kind of pilgrims we usually care for as volunteers.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yes, if you can. Not having a bed that first night you arrive at your starting point sucks! It is certainly no way to start your Camino.

I always advise making a reservation. I also recommend staying two nights at SJPdP. This gives you one, extra day to prepare, shop for last minute items or souvenirs, and make arrangements before starting out.

Some folks use Express Bourricot (https://www.expressbourricot.com/) to send a suitcase direct to Santiago, to be there waiting for you on arrival. This is an excellent way to send all your "tourist" clothing and supplies you will not need on Camino ahead of you. It is not cheap, but is absolutely reliable and secure.

If you bought souvenirs at SJPdP on that extra day off - you likely will - you can put them in the suitcase and send it down the road as well. FYI, Basque-made espadrilles are a HUGE industry there.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I am planning to walk the Camino Frances starting Sept 13th this year and need some advice regarding my first night in SJPDP.
I booked a private albergue just in case because I heard September's usually packed but I prefer the public ones.

I am taking a TGV from Paris to SJPDP, arriving around 1:41 pm and I heard the public albergue (e.g. 55) opens at 2 o'clock.
So I'm wondering if I would be able to make it. I am thinking of going there to register first and then go to the pilgrims' office.

What do you guys think I should do? Stick to my booking or Ok to go to the public albergue?
Any opinions and advice are fully welcomed.

Thank you so much!
Having walked the Camino Frances in May/June this year my advice would be to book all your accommodation ahead where you can. The bed race is real and my experience in May/June was in a lot of places had no beds left by mid-afternoon. I'm not sure of the difference in the number of pilgrims between May and September but it's no fun leaving at 6am EVERY morning to ensure you would get a bed that night. Some people were even leaving the albergues close to 5am!

Most read last week in this forum

Multiagency rescue... Hope pilgrim concerned is OK..
Hello! Brand new here :) Very excited but also very nervous about this Upcoming 1st trial for 3/4 days SJPDP to Pamplona in late September. My first question: after flying from US New York area...
Hi, folks: I'm seeing conflicting reports about the ruins at San Anton. Will the albergue be open by early August?
@Monasp has just posted the SJPDP figures for pilgrims recorded at the pilgrim office for the first six months of this year. Up a little over 4% on the same period last year. The pdf file is on...
My knees don’t agree with pavement, asfaltroads, so I’m planning to take taxi through Logroño. Anybody knows where it could be logical to hopp of and continue walking?
Hello everyone! I am planning to walk the Camino Frances starting Sept 13th this year and need some advice regarding my first night in SJPDP. I booked a private albergue just in case because I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back