Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Saint Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles, leaving in the afternoon

And was this a friend who had run the London Marathon earlier herself or himself? IOW, reasoned advice or just "thinking"?
Not a clue presumably just friendly banter late in the evening but the point I was jokingly trying to make was that if you tell someone (me) they can't do something it just makes them do it!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not a clue presumably just friendly banter late in the evening but the point I was jokingly trying to make was that if you tell someone (me) they can't do something it just makes them do it!
I got that. The OP is, of course, not asking whether he can do it. He asks about "challenges I might be forgetting".

The reason why the regional administration has invested in building such an unusual infrastructure (100s of poles, SOS telephone, SOS wifi stations, emergency shelter) for a trail that presents no technical difficulty is the fact that too many Camino pilgrims on this section are unfit, uninformed and without appropriate equipment.

Last edited:
With a smile on his face he told me this and went on to say that after 100km hiking with backpack, his feet were destroyed. Marathon running and long distance hiking are quite different.
Yip, met two Ex-collegues last year after my CP. They did the Norte and one of them is a passionate ultra-marathon runner. He suffered almost since the start with different aches and problems on feet, legs and back.

He said that the strains of running and walking are so different, that he was not really prepared for them.

HTH

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
We are having a bit of a cold snap in a large part of Europe. I heard from people living in Brighton on the south coast of England that they had hail the other day. And on the top of Route Napoleon in the Pyrenees between SJPP and Roncesvalles it will feel cool on this September Friday afternoon, too. Some may even call it chilly. And a bit windy now and then. The occasional wind gust of 50 km/h has a tendency to get noticed.

You hail from Brazil, @JonnyRosa. I guess that this is the kind of summer weather that you are familiar with, too?

Of course it will already be autumn when you walk and we do sometimes have weather that we call "Golden October". And I don't know about the Pyrenees but the Alps are known for being a great time to walk in September and early October because the view can reach so incredibly far when you are high up and the air is dry.

View attachment 177611
Source: Meteoblue. Predictability is medium.
Hi Kathar1na,

I'm from Brazil, in the São Paulo region. Today is winter here, and yesterday it was 33 degrees C.

The weather is very unpredictable, even with so much technology and huge databases, it is still more prudent and accurate to check the information as close to the event as possible. In fact, nature is something very difficult for us to understand.

A Japanese proverb says: "Ashita wa ashita no kaze ga fuku" which translates to: Tomorrow's wind will blow tomorrow. It means something like: we should live today and leave tomorrow's day to be lived tomorrow.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Odd, these long threads, aren't they. One does not want to read a single word anymore about the thread's topic and yet one cannot help opening the thread again and again to see what has been posted since the last time one had a look ... :cool:
You are so, so right. I stopped 'watching' this thread ages ago but I just couldn't help myself.... 🤣.

@JonnyRosa , I do hope that you will post once you're on the Camino. Although I think you should open a new thread, 200 + posts and counting is kind of crazy!

I must admit that having received so many comments about why he should reconsider his proposed 1st day it reminds me of a conversation I had late on a New Year's Eve party when I said to someone I was considering running the London Marathon. A friend told me I couldn't do it, my wife replied don't ever tell him he couldn't do something! I did run (??) and completed it the following year.
Therefore, despite the advice, I would probably go ahead, thinking that I wouldn't hurt anyone else and was invincible. Whatever the outcome, if I survived, I would respond that it was a piece of cake ("easy" for non-English speakers) and I had time to shower, change and drink before the evening meal!
Hi Harland2019,

In general, when people are challenged, they tend to receive it as a stimulus, as an extra dose of strength that drives them to achieve better results.

I myself, to this day, try to be very careful with this, and always think and plan without letting myself get sidetracked by both criticism and praise; because our own lives are only lived by ourselves.

Hi R
Yip, met two Ex-collegues last year after my CP. They did the Norte and one of them is a passionate ultra-marathon runner. He suffered almost since the start with different aches and problems on feet, legs and back.

He said that the strains of running and walking are so different, that he was not really prepared for them.

HTH
Hi Roland.
I'm not a fitness trainer, but I believe that running and walking work different muscle groups. Therefore, when these muscle groups are subjected to heavy load, they can cause pain and even injury.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You are so, so right. I stopped 'watching' this thread ages ago but I just couldn't help myself.... 🤣.

@JonnyRosa , I do hope that you will post once you're on the Camino. Although I think you should open a new thread, 200 + posts and counting is kind of crazy!
Hi Peterexpatkiwi,

I am a new member of the forum, and I confess that I have no idea if the post is too long, if it should be closed, much less how to close it, or even if this is a moderator's job.

I am really appreciating all the help that the members have offered me, and I try to respond to each one as best I can, because this is the least I can do in return for the time that each one offered me.

Hi R

Hi Roland.
I'm not a fitness trainer, but I believe that running and walking work different muscle groups. Therefore, when these muscle groups are subjected to heavy load, they can cause pain and even injury.
Oh, he is fit in every aspect. Ex PT!

Hi Harland2019,

In general, when people are challenged, they tend to receive it as a stimulus, as an extra dose of strength that drives them to achieve better results.

I myself, to this day, try to be very careful with this, and always think and plan without letting myself get sidetracked by both criticism and praise; because our own lives are only lived by ourselves.
Well this statement you just made tells me you’re going to do just fine on your Camino. Movie villains most often get their comeuppances due to their egos. And after reading all your responses on this thread, my sense is you will have no difficulty keeping yours in check. Can’t wait to read about your “first day” impressions 😊.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Peterexpatkiwi,

I am a new member of the forum, and I confess that I have no idea if the post is too long, if it should be closed, much less how to close it, or even if this is a moderator's job.

I am really appreciating all the help that the members have offered me, and I try to respond to each one as best I can, because this is the least I can do in return for the time that each one offered me.
@JonnyRosa, thank you for the courtesy but you really don't have to respond to all of us. You can simply put a like or a thank you if you wish (long hold the like button and you'll see multiple options)

And don't worry about this post being too long, that's down to all of us. Should the moderators feel its served its purpose or gotten too crazy/ inappropriate answers etc, yes indeed they will close it.

Unfortunately some people can't be bothered to read the sometimes excellent advice from others ( which they could then respond to with a simple 'like' or 'thanks') and they post an answer to a question that has long since been answered.

I was simply meaning that I hope to hear about your journey once you're actually on Camino, and it would be a shame if it got lost in amongst everything else above.

Don't be afraid to ask another question should something arise for you, although I would strongly suggest posting it separately.

Most of us are on here because we're just envious of everybody else that's actually walking! And the next best thing to walking yourself is to help somebody else.

@JonnyRosa, thank you for the courtesy but you really don't have to respond to all of us. You can simply put a like or a thank you if you wish (long hold the like button and you'll see multiple options)

And don't worry about this post being too long, that's down to all of us. Should the moderators feel its served its purpose or gotten too crazy/ inappropriate answers etc, yes indeed they will close it.

Unfortunately some people can't be bothered to read the sometimes excellent advice from others ( which they could then respond to with a simple 'like' or 'thanks') and they post an answer to a question that has long since been answered.

I was simply meaning that I hope to hear about your journey once you're actually on Camino, and it would be a shame if it got lost in amongst everything else above.

Don't be afraid to ask another question should something arise for you, although I would strongly suggest posting it separately.

Most of us are on here because we're just envious of everybody else that's actually walking! And the next best thing to walking yourself is to help somebody else.
Thank you very much Peterexpatkiwi. Wise words.

Interesting thread! And topical for me: I'm thinking of leaving SJPDP in the afternoon too since that's when the bus from Pamplona arrives and I'm planning a somewhat fast pace. I read this thread carefully and am feeling confident to proceed considering my abilities (experienced mountain hiker with currently active trail legs), equipment (ultralight tarp, 30F quilt, sleeping mat, bright headlamp), and weather forecast (76F SJPDP, 67F Roncesvalles, 20% chance precip). In fact I think I'll make sleeping somewhere near the pass my primary plan if weather allows, it sounds lovely. I'll be happy to post an update after if anyone is curious about it.

What I found most interesting in this thread is the discussion of the socializing that happens in SJPDP and Roncesvalles. Will I be missing out on part of the experience if I skip that? I'm thinking I'll have plenty of time to make friends later, and this section seems like one of the better chances to enjoy a night under the stars.

What I found most interesting in this thread is the discussion of the socializing that happens in SJPDP and Roncesvalles. Will I be missing out on part of the experience if I skip that? I'm thinking I'll have plenty of time to make friends later,
You will have plenty of opportunities to make friends later. Many people start from Roncesvalles, Pamplona, Burgos, León and farther on and manage to make friendships.

Thanks, @Peterexpatkiwi . You are correct on both points. We certainly have longer threads than this one. As long as the discussion is continuing more or less on-topic, in a constructive way, we don't close threads just because of length. (Here is a fun discussion of 460 posts.)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A selection of Camino Jewellery
but I think this thread is done.
Perhaps so, but it depends on the purpose of the thread.

Has it morphed into a philosophy or a cry for help therapy conversation? Although not for the person who originated this thread but for others.

Noting that many of the comments probably have come from people who have walked many Caminos and have made their own choices on many aspects of walking their Caminos without asking anyone else for their opinions except perhaps from a spouse, perhaps from a time when this Forum was far less active.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That one has to be the longest thread😂 !?
My very long Camino from Home thread currently stands at 1,266 posts and 13 pages, and that's only because I made a separate thread for an intermediary 2024 Camino that really was part of the same Pilgrimage -- +175 posts ... 😵‍💫

Dipping into the Twitter feeds of Bomberos y Bomberas Navarra, Guardia Civil Navarra, Policia Foral Navarra or SOS Navarra, there is always a good chance of finding a recent story like this one: 5 days ago, on Sunday 8 September 2024, nighttime, in an area near the Lepoeder Pass towards the end of the Route Napoleon from SJPP to Roncesvalles, intervention by a Firefighters & Rescue Team, male pilgrim, knee injury, taken to health station in Burguete:

Bomb Nav 9 Sep 2024.jpg

And for those who are curious: Currently, sunset is around 8:15 pm and twilight ends around 8:45 pm. No information available about when the pilgrim started his day of walking or how long it him to get to where and when he could not continue.

In early October, I plan to do the route from Sant Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles, leaving SJPP in the afternoon, around 2:30 p.m. I walk frequently and quickly, averaging 6 km/h. I would like to know if any of my colleagues have already done this route in the afternoon and what challenges I might be forgetting.
Hi jonny
You might be underestimating what you are facing in the 28km on that first stage.
The fastest I’ve wheats anyone walking to Roncesvalles is around 8hrs and that’s walking at just over 3km per hour. The gradient in parts is so acute you certainly won’t be able to achieve your top spread. Given you manage to maintain 3km per hour you’re still looking at 8hrs+ which means not arriving until after 9pm in the dark.
I suggest if you determined to start in the afternoon stop at Orisson or leave before midday to get in earlier.
Remember the darker it is the more dangerous it’s likely to be and god forbid the last thing you need is injuring yourself on the first day. Buen Camino Keith

Hi jonny
You might be underestimating what you are facing in the 28km on that first stage.
The fastest I’ve wheats anyone walking to Roncesvalles is around 8hrs and that’s walking at just over 3km per hour. The gradient in parts is so acute you certainly won’t be able to achieve your top spread. Given you manage to maintain 3km per hour you’re still looking at 8hrs+ which means not arriving until after 9pm in the dark.
I suggest if you determined to start in the afternoon stop at Orisson or leave before midday to get in earlier.
Remember the darker it is the more dangerous it’s likely to be and god forbid the last thing you need is injuring yourself on the first day. Buen Camino Keith
Hi Keith, Many thanks for your contribution.
The majority of the members' opinions are expressed in this direction.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
My very long Camino from Home thread currently stands at 1,266 posts and 13 pages, and that's only because I made a separate thread for an intermediary 2024 Camino that really was part of the same Pilgrimage -- +175 posts ... 😵‍💫
That does so least have a beginning, a middle and an end!

(On reflection, it has several of all three)

It's true Bradpus, walking on steep inclines is another matter. I intend to do the 15% incline section at 4.5 km/h; the 10% to 14% incline sections at 5 km/h and the 5% to 10% incline sections at 5.5 km/h; the rest I intend to do at 6 km/h.
There is more to consider than degree of incline or decline. You have to consider surface conditions and how they are affected by the weather (which is quite changeable with little or no warning). If you take the more direct route down from Alto de Lepoeder, the surface conditions will not allow you to safely maintain your normal stride. If you take the road, it will add miles to a day that you have already started very late.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
JonnyRosa you asked for advice, I will add mine. I am also a "street runner", an experinced New England Area hiker (used to climbing 5000 foot summits similar to Col Lepoeder). I found the unrelenting road climb to the Spain border to be very tiring. The sections that look flat, are uphill. Then you have the steep descent to Roncevalles over the last 4+ kms, while your legs are rubber, and under your plan, will be in twilight AT BEST! Any thing that causes you a time delay, will result in a dangerous descent.

I opted to break up that first stage by hiking to Croix Thibault, and taking the Mountain Shuttle back to SJPdP, Day 2 we shuttled back to Croix Thibault, then hiked to Burgette. A younger, fast walker than me could walk a few more villages day 2 and be further along.

You asked for advice.

Mine: Do not try it.

If you need to make up a day delay in your itinery, add 5-6 km per day later in your camino, on flater stages. Or start in Roncevalles instead of SJPdP. Or just start from Pamplona, since you are spending a night there already.

Whatever you do. Good Luck.

Why would you want to do that? You’re boxing yourself into a tight unalterable box. Things happen on the Camino, as in life. Leave early in the morning and enjoy yourself. There are plenty of things to see and experience going up that hill and more on the way down. You’ll miss out on a lot if you hike like a machine to your destination. And the first part of the Camino is where you will likely create friendships that last the rest of your journey and beyond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
JonnyRosa you asked for advice, I will add mine. I am also a "street runner", an experinced New England Area hiker (used to climbing 5000 foot summits similar to Col Lepoeder). I found the unrelenting road climb to the Spain border to be very tiring. The sections that look flat, are uphill. Then you have the steep descent to Roncevalles over the last 4+ kms, while your legs are rubber, and under your plan, will be in twilight AT BEST! Any thing that causes you a time delay, will result in a dangerous descent.

I opted to break up that first stage by hiking to Croix Thibault, and taking the Mountain Shuttle back to SJPdP, Day 2 we shuttled back to Croix Thibault, then hiked to Burgette. A younger, fast walker than me could walk a few more villages day 2 and be further along.

You asked for advice.

Mine: Do not try it.

If you need to make up a day delay in your itinery, add 5-6 km per day later in your camino, on flater stages. Or start in Roncevalles instead of SJPdP. Or just start from Pamplona, since you are spending a night there already.

Whatever you do. Good Luck.
Thank you very much for your advice MassNative.

There is more to consider than degree of incline or decline. You have to consider surface conditions and how they are affected by the weather (which is quite changeable with little or no warning). If you take the more direct route down from Alto de Lepoeder, the surface conditions will not allow you to safely maintain your normal stride. If you take the road, it will add miles to a day that you have already started very late.
Weather conditions, with rain and winds, significantly affect the entire plan and will be taken into consideration. Many thanks lbrown498.

Hi Trecile,
You're right. I have a tight schedule. I'm already spending the night in Pamplona the day before, and I didn't want to spend the night in SJPP and only leave the next day. So I thought about leaving the same day I arrive in SJPP. Based on my planning, I think it's feasible, but I know there are risks. If the weather is bad, I'll definitely leave the next day.
Now, trying to answer your question as honestly as I can, I would say that the same impulse that is driving me to do the Camino de Santiago is what makes me do this stretch as soon as I arrive; I don't know the real reason.
Is it possible to catch an evening bus in Pamploma to Roncevelle, then taxi to St. Jean the day you arrive? Spend the night in SJPdP. Have your heavier bag transported to Roncevelles and walk there to meet it. You will have all day to race up and down the mountain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
True, I initially said 2:30 p.m. I have been adjusting my planning day by day. I will arrive by bus in SJPP at 1:45 p.m. and I didn't know exactly how long it would take to get to the beginning of the Napoleon route; now that I've reviewed my calculations, I believe I will start at 2:00 p.m. I am planning to walk the downhill part at 6 km/h.
I am very concerned about the brightness at the end of the route, and for safety reasons I am taking a headlamp.
I have no experience in hiking, so the help of colleagues with more experience is very important to me.
I am a street runner, with a lot of experience in running, over 20 years. I have been training for years to run 10 to 15 km regularly, and walking is very comfortable for me. I have been training with the weight/backpack in the steep conditions of this section and I have been doing well.
I'm sure the path will be more complex than the training, and that's exactly why I came to ask for help from anyone who has already done the stretch.
Thank you very much
Its a very difficult day. I think you should listen to all the experience on here. Genuinely don't think anyone advise against unless there weren't concerns for your safety and potentially the rescue team who might have to come find you

Is it possible to catch an evening bus in Pamploma to Roncevelle, then taxi to St. Jean the day you arrive? Spend the night in SJPdP. Have your heavier bag transported to Roncevelles and walk there to meet it. You will have all day to race up and down the mountain.
Your choice is very smart Lizhk. I hadn't thought of this route. There is a bus at 7:00 pm from Pamplona to Roncesvalles.

In early October, I plan to do the route from Sant Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles, leaving SJPP in the afternoon, around 2:30 p.m. I walk frequently and quickly, averaging 6 km/h. I would like to know if any of my colleagues have already done this route in the afternoon and what challenges I might be forgetting.
Why? comes to mind. Many of the joys of the camino are the people you meet and the scenery you get to see. You will miss both with this plan. I highly suggest you rethink this plan. First - you are setting yourself up for injury on your very first day if you are going to descend into Roncevelles in the dark. The rocks on a DRY day are tough, but would be very dangerous with a flashlight. Maybe I am reading too much into this - but you seem like you are in a hurry. My advice is to slow down and enjoy your journey. Don't be in a rush to get to the next location. The Camino has so much to teach if you, if you take the time to listen. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This probably will not translate outside of the UK.

At village fêtes and social gatherings throughout the three-day British summer there is a common ‘event’ to be found; known by various names, but ‘bat-a-rat’ is typical.

The concept is simple. A table is produced with a number of holes, through which the operator, located below the table, manually introduces a stuffed toy rat. The competitor tries to hit said rodent with a stick. The rat is rapidly withdrawn and reintroduced through another hole and the cycle repeats. It’s what we did before video-games were developed; although it’s not clear what one has to do to win.

I’m not sure why that’s come to mind.

you may want a stamp for your credencial in SJPDP and you should check-in for conditions in Pilgrim Office.. lines up can be long and your 15 mins likely insufficient. [Profile stage Day1)

Attachments

• 20240914_130041.jpg
    20240914_130041.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 20
Hi,

Your reasons for leaving late are your own. However, your rationale for how you will be able to walk at a speed of 6km ph is unsound and does NOT take into consideration many factors which have already been mentioned previously.

What I would ask is that you consider the personal safety of the rescuers who will be sent out to look for you because of you potential recklessness!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Jonny, Your plan is missing a nap. There is nothing better than a mid-day picnic along the trail followed by a nice nap. Best of luck to you. If the weather is good, you will probably be just fine although you might miss dinner in Roncesvalles.

Seems that you are determined to go through with it despite cautious advice from readers not to do so. Looks like you have done the planning and training. Now time to do it; it's your Camino.

If you make it without getting lost at night or suffer injury, then you would have proven to yourself (and to a lesser extent, Others) that it can be dome.

If you fail and get lost or injured, then you would have unnecessarily burdened the local authorities in looking and rescuing you. At its worst, you'll be represented by a cross that pilgrims/hikers will pass by during the daytime.

Your choice is very smart Lizhk. I hadn't thought of this route. There is a bus at 7:00 pm from Pamplona to Roncesvalles.
The only service I know between Pamplona and Roncesvalles is via Autocares Artieda. Their 2024 schedule has a bus leaving Pamplona at 13:30 Mondays through Friday and 16:00 on Saturdays.

"I have no experience in hiking"
The majority of people I have witnessed who had to leave paths over my past 9 years of long distance walks have been young and fit. It is my opinion that they try to conquer, when a long distance walk is to be endured. 3 Caminos, the Summit of Kilimanjaro, West Highland Way, Hadrian Wall, Alta Via 1, Laugavegur Great Glen Way, Hadrian Wall and on other trails.

Like others, I would recommend reserving at Orison, enjoy the pilgrim meal, and make new friends, let the joy of the way overtake you and continue in the morning.

Here is my 275lb carcass on the Roof of Africa on the way down I passed plenty of young superfit people who were being helped down the mountain by porters because they took the fast path and did not apply "pole, pole" to to the journey. Two weeks prior to this photo my wife and I had walked the Camino Portuguese in 11 days as a final preparation for the climb, that's as fast as I go anymore.

Best wishes to you, enjoy your journey.

Attachments

• IMG_6534.JPG
    IMG_6534.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
A long walk like this must be approached with caution. The first day is a challenge, for all. So is the second day. If your calves and shins are screaming by the time Roncesvalles is reached, you are human.

AND TAKE THE PATH TO THE RIGHT AT CISE!!!

If you go straight down to Roncesvalles, your hands will be on the ground next to your face as you pick your way down a wide but terribly steep path that will seem like it goes on forever.

Option 2:
Ignore all the information given here and do you on Day One...and after that, evaluate. Adjust. Day 2, Adjust. Evaluate. And continue. But ALWAYS keep yourself safe with options to bail or revise plans and expectations.

Buen Camino! 😎

So is the second day. If your calves and shins are screaming by the time Roncesvalles is reached, you are human.
I thought the second part of your post was spot-on. "evaluate ... adjust" BUT with the proviso of starting cautiously for a few days and then increasing effort until you reach your limit, if you want to.

That is hard to achieve if day 1 is to Roncesvalles of course so it is much better IF you wish to enjoy Roncesvalles is to have day 1 some distance further east towards Le Puy, such as Le Puy. I know, a luxury not possible for most and thus a dilemma. Some of the prudent with a different sense of risk-of-failure opt to start at Roncesvalles and meet pilgrims along the way close to failure still because of the consequences of wanting an iconic start at St Jean PdP.

All part of what the Camino teaches you if you are paying attention (and perhaps dependent on if you can finish at Santiago???).

But in regards to the first part which is appropriate for novices, many on this forum, myself and others, whilst still being human I suspect, happily walked to Roncesvalles like it was a walk-in-the-park, literally and figuratively, with my calf muscles happily enjoying the day and ready to start fresh again the next day, and the next 700 kms. That was 20 yrs ago. My days are slightly shorter now as being 80 is now approaching over the horizon.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
One more thing to consider: the people who will go at risk on the mountain to find you if something happens and you need to call for help. Is your desire to rush through one of the most beautiful parts of the Camino worth putting the rescue service personnel in danger?

Many buses to Roncesvalles only run during the Summer period.

Not sure the 7PM one will be running in October. Check the Winter timetable !!

Hi there

I did this route in June and there are several sections on the Napoleon route which are like descending on marble, super slippery and steep and through forest. We did them on our bums. They come at the end and If it's raining and getting dark I wouldn't recommend it. One guy was helicoptered off after breaking his leg.

Otherwise it's totally doable for anyone with moderate walking skills. We also added 6km onto our journey as we stayed on the main path at the cross and so veered left. Don't do that! At the cross go almost straight over the grassy area. Several pilgrims did the same as us and we ended up walking 34km that day!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Please remember this is a pilgrimage. Give yourself time, follow sage advice and enjoy the path, the other pilgrims, the beauty of the trail and the inspiration of the hundreds of years of pilgrims taking this path before you.

I did this route in June and there are several sections on the Napoleon route which are like descending on marble, super slippery and steep and through forest. We did them on our bums. They come at the end and If it's raining and getting dark I wouldn't recommend it. One guy was helicoptered off after breaking his leg.
If he gets that far, then he should have no problem. Both times I went through there, I was young and fit and as fast a walker as OP.

The issue isn't there -- it's getting such a late start from SJPP that's clearly problematic.

My usual 6 Kph in 1994 became a 4 Kph on the ascents up there, and my 2005 5 Kph probably a 3.5.

Perhaps OP doesn't need the 1-2 hours cumulative rests for food and watering that I myself needed myself back then, but even with just 30 minutes of stoppage that's still an expected 6 to 7 hours for a good hiker. Add some slowdown in the dark, as there is no way OP could be faster than sunset & twilight, and a 2:30 PM start leads to what, a 10:30 PM arrival or worse ?
Otherwise it's totally doable for anyone with moderate walking skills.
Skill and ability are two completely different things -- just personally, without the skills that I have acquired over the decades, a foot pilgrimage would be impossible for me due to my disability. But someone healthy can acquire the needed skills, especially on such a well infrastructured route as the Francès.

So skills are less important than physical ability, even though skills can help overcome some dis-ability of whichever sort.
We also added 6km onto our journey as we stayed on the main path at the cross and so veered left. Don't do that! At the cross go almost straight over the grassy area. Several pilgrims did the same as us and we ended up walking 34km that day!!
I was up there in August, and "don't go that way" crossed waymarkers are clearly visible. Sad that you missed them and took that wrong turn !!

Though actually, if you don't use the grass and keep on the road but veer right instead, it leads quickly to the "proper" road & trail towards Ibañeta.

Hi JabbaPapa,

Thank you very much for your words, your experience is very important to me and will certainly help me.

I have no experience in mountain/hiking and I am not familiar with the term "speed on the flat". Do you remember the speed you were going on the trail when you refer to "6 km/h on the flat"?

In general, how did you manage your 42 km/day in terms of stops, food, schedules...?

I expected to find many people who had already walked this stretch in the afternoon, but I was completely wrong.
Why? You will arrive in the dark. That is dangerous and you may even miss the evening meal. Stay another night and go over the next day.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Jonny, Your plan is missing a nap. There is nothing better than a mid-day picnic along the trail followed by a nice nap. Best of luck to you. If the weather is good, you will probably be just fine although you might miss dinner in Roncesvalles.
Hi Julien and Peter,
So I would miss one of the good parts of the plan, which would be taking a shower and having dinner at 8:00 pm.

Seems that you are determined to go through with it despite cautious advice from readers not to do so. Looks like you have done the planning and training. Now time to do it; it's your Camino.

If you make it without getting lost at night or suffer injury, then you would have proven to yourself (and to a lesser extent, Others) that it can be dome.

If you fail and get lost or injured, then you would have unnecessarily burdened the local authorities in looking and rescuing you. At its worst, you'll be represented by a cross that pilgrims/hikers will pass by during the daytime.
Hi Nickvee,

I have not ignored any of the advice I have received here, and it will be taken into consideration when deciding whether to leave in the afternoon or wait for the next dawn, since I had not considered many points initially and all the dialogue in this forum was enriching.

If I do the Camino in the afternoon, I will not do it thinking of proving anything to anyone, nor as a form of penance, I will do it simply out of my own desire, just as I will do all the other stages.

Now, a tombstoneas already suggested or a cross on the path would mean that my life has ended there, and if this is the case, I don't see anything wrong with it, since no one knows the time and place of their departure and should be ready for this, it is not right?

Now, a tombstoneas already suggested or a cross on the path would mean that my life has ended there, and if this is the case, I don't see anything wrong with it, since no one knows the time and place of their departure and should be ready for this, it is not right?
It is comments like this one that makes some of your readers wonder whether you are trolling us.

No, it’s not right but unwise (I am trying to choose my adjectives carefully here) to say this when the context is preventable attitudes and preventable lack of knowledge about walking in an environment (terrain, climate, weather etc) that is fundamentally different to the level of experience and knowledge of the first-time Camino de Santiago walker from another continent on their first day from SJPP.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One more thing to consider: the people who will go at risk on the mountain to find you if something happens and you need to call for help. Is your desire to rush through one of the most beautiful parts of the Camino worth putting the rescue service personnel in danger?
Hi Scott,

About this Emergency topic, forum participant Kathar1na, in post #179, offered the SOS_Pilgrim_Map and it contains valuable information.I would like to highlight the ones that I consider important in general:

- The Emergency phone 112 works both in Spain and France.

- If you call Emergency, do not move to facilitate the search. If the correct location is provided, the average time of rescue may be less than 30 minutes.

It is comments like this one that makes some of your readers wonder whether you are trolling us.

No, it’s not right but unwise (I am trying to choose my adjectives carefully here) to say this when the context is preventable attitudes and preventable lack of knowledge about walking in an environment (terrain, climate, weather etc) that is fundamentally different to the level of experience and knowledge of the first-time Camino de Santiago walker from another continent on their first day from SJPP.
Hi Kathar1na,
I meant that we must be ready for the day of our departure, that we must value our life, enjoying every moment of it, without failing to say what could be said, without learning what could be learned, in other words, without living what could have been lived.

I meant that we must be ready for the day of our departure, that we must value our life, enjoying every moment of it, without failing to say what could be said, without learning what could be learned, in other words, without living what could have been lived.
Yes, this is an admirable philosophy to apply to one's life. However, one can apply it wisely without succumbing to every impulse.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Julien and Peter,
So I would miss one of the good parts of the plan, which would be taking a shower and having dinner at 8:00 pm.
Our first Camino, we started in SJPDP and arrived in Roncesvalles at 8:04 p.m. Not because we started late from SJPDP, but because we ran into snow on the trail, and because of the snow (and fog), we had trouble in one area finding markers and had to backtrack, and then later we missed the path that avoids the steep albeit very beautiful forest path. It's easy to miss that junction even on a sunny day. The downhill was very painful on our toes, which we had not prepared for, and the pain slowed us down (at times I had to walk backward to avoid the pain). Fortunately, we had booked one of the hotels in Roncesvalles, and their restaurant was open until 9:00, but getting to dinner before closing time was a scramble.

We had no idea what we were doing, we stumbled upon the Camino in 2015 and made almost no plans beyond Roncesvalles. In hindsight, we were very lucky that it wasn't especially cold or raining. We would have been in very big trouble because our phone battery died midway, and we were the only people on the trail at that late hour. Of course, now we start from Orisson or Hunto, we carry lots of extra portable chargers, food, and we plan a nap each day.

The first two photos from 2015 photos were taken at 5:44 p.m. (not sure where :) ) and 6:46 p.m. (walking backward a few steps to relieve pain on the downhill). We brought a camera on the first walk. The last photo was taken between Orisson and Roncesvalles in 2022 at 2:04 p.m. (the perfect time for a nap).

IMG_3353.JPGIMG_3358.JPGIMG_1746.jpg

Last edited:
One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Our first Camino, we started in SJPDP and arrived in Roncesvalles at 8:04 p.m. Not because we started late from SJPDP, but because we ran into snow on the trail, and because of the snow (and fog), we had trouble in one area finding markers and had to backtrack, and then later we missed the path that avoids the steep albeit very beautiful forest path. It's easy to miss that junction even on a sunny day. The downhill was very painful on our toes, which we had not prepared for, and the pain slowed us down (at times I had to walk backward to avoid the pain). Fortunately, we had booked one of the hotels in Roncesvalles, and their restaurant was open until 9:00, but getting to dinner before closing time was a scramble.

We had no idea what we were doing, we stumbled upon the Camino in 2015 and made almost no plans beyond Roncesvalles. In hindsight, we were very lucky that it wasn't especially cold or raining. We would have been in very big trouble because our phone battery died midway, and we were the only people on the trail at that late hour. Of course, now we start from Orisson or Hunto, we carry lots of extra portable chargers, food, and we plan a nap each day.

The first two photos from 2015 photos were taken at 5:44 p.m. (not sure where :) ) and 6:46 p.m. (walking backward a few steps to relieve pain on the downhill). We brought a camera on the first walk. The last photo was taken between Orisson and Roncesvalles in 2022 at 2:04 p.m. (the perfect time for a nap).

View attachment 177710View attachment 177711View attachment 177712
Thanks for posting these pictures. Puts things in the right perspective. As I'm sure you have planned for the hike, you adapted and adjusted your plans once you encountered the real conditions on the ground. We'll done!

For JonnyRosa - It's your hike. We can only advice that you plan for contingencies. As a retired military officer, I can tell you that rarely does a plan survives first contact with the enemy 😀

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Anyone struggling to find a place in Los arcos 6 km beyond is albergue sansol oasis.I can highly recommend excellent host and food
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
Hi, We walked the Camino de Santiago for the first time in May & June this year, and absolutely loved it. We plan on walking the first week again in October (with a view to going back later next...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back