• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rest step - has anyone used this technique on steep uphill sections?

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
No, I pick a point ahead and say to myself "I will rest when I get to that point". I do that all the way up steep hills. I will say that I live at a relatively high elevation in the US Rocky Mt ranges and I thought I would have an advantage over lower elevation pilgrims. NOPE! They just keep right on walking while I am panting away on my rest breaks.

This rest step looks more like my normal slow one step at a time pace anyway.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
New to me. My first impression is that I suspect the staccato nature of the movement is appropriate only for heavy loads on steep tracks. So far I have never encountered a Camino track that warrants this movement. I prefer a continuous movement at a speed that I find comfortable.

However impressions are not enough: an experiment is in order next time I get to a precipitous track.

New to me. My first impression is that I suspect the staccato nature of the movement is appropriate only for heavy loads on steep tracks. So far I have never encountered a Camino track that warrants this movement. I prefer a continuous movement at a speed that I find comfortable.
Yes, if you watch the entire video she does say that it's not appropriate for all steep slopes for all people.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Similar is the advice from an 80-something-year-old Italian man which has worked well for me: GO SLOWLY. Take small steps in time with your breathing.
It’s simple, but really works!
I would not be able to plant my heel as this girl recommends due to an Achilles injury - in fact, at the beginning of this year’s Camino I walked plenty of hills on my tiptoes - or even backwards when I needed to.

Similar is the advice from an 80-something-year-old Italian man which has worked well for me: GO SLOWLY. Take small steps in time with your breathing.
I would not be able to plant my heel as this girl recommends due to an Achilles injury - in fact, at the beginning of this year’s Camino I walked plenty of hills on my tiptoes - or even backwards when I needed to.
I have done a lot of hiking over rough terrain here in New Zealand. One needs to shorten one's stride when ascending, this uses less energy! Then resuming the usual on the downslope.
Works for me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have Achilles problems too,

I insert heel wedges under my orthotics for steep hills!

Helps a lot. :)

Also agree on the breathing thing. Short steps, with deep in and out breaths in unison. I sound like a steam train!!

I have Achilles problems too,
I insert heel wedges under my orthotics for steep hills!
Only on steep hills?
I have my wedges in my shoes all the time (and had to give up walking in beloved Keens sandals to do so)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am not a slow stroller. I have tried multiple times to shorten my steps going uphill, or to walk slower, but I just can’t do it. I’m more of a sprinter - power uphill until there’s (hopefully) a bit of shade and rest. Power up and rest. Power up and rest.

It’s inefficient but it works for me.

Only on steep hills?
I have my wedges in my shoes all the time (and had to give up walking in beloved Keens sandals to do so)
I have my 'regular' wedges built into my orthotics.
And my shoes already have an 6 mm drop on top of that.

For steep hills I put in an extra 6-10 mm !
Keeping them in on the flat would feel like walking on high heels. :)

OMG, 4 minutes of explanations :cool:. .. that's so Influencer YouTube Video. I find it hard to stay patient and endure all these words until you get to the end. I'd like to see a video made by someone from the "mountaineering community" where she got this from. I know, I could google it myself.

I happened to watch a video yesterday about going up and down in steep scree below 3000 m - typical Alps and Pyrenees environment - with tips about how to position body and feet, and I'd like to see something similar for economic walking up the kind of moderately steep hills that you find on the Camino Francés - yes, they are moderately steep!

As to myself, I tend to go too fast, especially in a group or walking with somebody else, and I carry too much body weight. For years now, in the Alps and elsewhere mountainous such as the Himalayas, I wore a Polar heartbeat monitor (for sports activities, especially running) to slow me down to a continuous steady speed without any stops. I wear an Apple Watch now and I have now developed a good feeling of how slow I must go at a steady speed when going uphill but I still check my heartbeat occasionally.

The aim is to make me walk so slowly uphill that my heartbeat is in the range where I know that I can walk for a long time without having to stop and having to catch my breath.

I am looking forward to @Sirage's test results. Don't forget to give us your feedback. ☺️

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'd like to see a video made by someone from the "mountaineering community" where she got this from
OK, no need for this. There is plenty of info about the "rest step" for mountaineering on the web. I'll read a bit more about it to see whether it is of any usefulness for the hill walker. We are not mountaineering and these steep ascents on the Camino Francés are very short.

When climbing, the strategy that has worked the best for me is to keep moving, even if I have to slow down significantly, and to remember to breathe.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I listened to this: https://www.summitstrength.com.au/blog/tft134-the-hiking-rest-step

The speaker basically advises against using this technique if you are a typical [Camino] walker with not a lot of long distance walking experience if any.

In a nutshell, the speaker says that the mountaineering rest step was developed for extreme high altitude mountaineering. He says that these people are typically small scrawny people with barely an ounce of fat on them (I am not sure about being small but I would agree about their low body fat percentage). He says to use the rest step technique if you are an experienced hillwalker or trekker and you like the technique but if you are not then there is a risk of causing damage to yourself when you are locking out your knee joint again and again and putting your full body weight on it (a body weight that may be currently higher than it is meant to be for the built and current conditions of your knee joint), and that there is even a risk of hyperextending the joint, and the risk of injury is increased because the average [Camino] walker's joints are also not as strong as those of experienced mountaineers, alpinists or trekkers with a long experience of walking and climbing behind them.

It sounds plausible to me.

The episode (see link above) is 8 minutes long but for me the time passed quickly because the speaker is to the point and the explanations are succinct.

Last edited:
I came across this technique and was wondering if anyone has used it on steep uphill sections.

Unfortunately, that must be one of the worst explanations and demonstrations of the technique I have known as the rest step, and have used on and off for many years. I agree with those who could not tell why what was demonstrated is not just slow walking.

Here is a short explanation of the technique from https://www.active.com/outdoors/articles/hiking-technique-the-rest-step:

As you step forward on a climb, lock your rear knee and keep all of your weight on that rear leg. As you're swinging your other leg forward, relax the muscles in that leg. Once your forward foot comes to rest on the ground, keep it relaxed so that there's no weight on it. You can stop in that position for as long as you need to.

When you're ready to take the next step, shift your weight to the front foot, step forward with the other and lock the rear knee again, repeating the entire process.

There are some much better videos around. One I would recommend is here:
. There are others.

The key for me is keeping the rear leg straight while it is supporting one's weight, and keeping your upper body with its COG over one's hips and knees. With a pack, this might mean a very slight forwards tilt to account for the weight of the pack.

It only has to be a momentary pause to get a benefit. You will set a slightly slower pace, depending on how long you pause in the rest position.

Last edited:
OMG, 4 minutes of explanations :cool:. .. that's so Influencer YouTube Video. I find it hard to stay patient and endure all these words until you get to the end. I'd like to see a video made by someone from the "mountaineering community" where she got this from. I know, I could google it myself.

Some people love to turn a 1 minute explanation into 4 :rolleyes:

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I listened to this: https://www.summitstrength.com.au/blog/tft134-the-hiking-rest-step

The speaker basically advises against using this technique if you are a typical [Camino] walker with not a lot of long distance walking experience if any.

In a nutshell, the speaker says that the mountaineering rest step was developed for extreme high altitude mountaineering. He says that these people are typically small scrawny people with barely an ounce of fat on them (I am not sure about being small but I would agree about their low body fat percentage). He says to use the rest step technique if you are an experienced hillwalker or trekker and you like the technique but if you are not then there is a risk of causing damage to yourself when you are locking out your knee joint again and again and putting your full body weight on it (a body weight that may be currently higher than it is meant to be for the built and current conditions of your knee joint), and that there is even a risk of hyperextending the joint, and the risk of injury is increased because the average [Camino] walker's joints are also not as strong as those of experienced mountaineers, alpinists or trekkers with a long experience of walking and climbing behind them.

It sounds plausible to me.

The episode (see link above) is 8 minutes long but for me the time passed quickly because the speaker is to the point and the explanations are succinct.
I found most of the explanation unconvincing. Other than the issue of hypertension, the rest seemed to be dubious history, unsupported assertions and disjointed discussion. Funnily, it seemed the key message was that people should prepare by following his exercise/physio program.

Hyperextending using this technique would be undesirable, and would be a fault in the technique to watch for and correct. It hasn't been a problem for me, but if you think it is, get a knowledgeable friend to observe you and help address it if it is present in your technique.

Interesting technique. I'll try and have a go one day and see if it works for me.

The advice I follow came from @davebugg:
walking up hills
I have learnt a huge amount on this forum but I do believe this to be the most useful advice for me and a technique I use with every uphill.
I've also found that my attitude is ultimately the most important thing so I try not to think about how far the top of the hill is or treat it as a reward. Instead I concentrate on how glad I am to be walking instead of anything else, especially if it's a Camino. Of course I am glad when I do reach the top 😅

Interesting technique. I'll try and have a go one day and see if it works for me.

walking up hills
I have learnt a huge amount on this forum but I do believe this to be the most useful advice for me and a technique I use with every uphill.
I've also found that my attitude is ultimately the most important thing so I try not to think about how far the top of the hill is or treat it as a reward. Instead I concentrate on how glad I am to be walking instead of anything else, especially if it's a Camino. Of course I am glad when I do reach the top 😅

I actually love hills (the going up bit)
Because it means wonderful views........ :)

The coming down again.........not so much.
That means sore knees and the danger of shin splints :oops:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Never came across this one hence never tried it.
I also think that unless someone was "right there with me" to show how it's done I may not do it correctly and if that's the case then what's the point 🤔
Of course one can practice before starting the Camino but if not -for me- I wouldn't want to start figuring out new techniques while walking just walk the way you know how and concentrate on the terrain.
I for one climb as much as I can (sometimes as little as few steps) and pause for a short break. Don't know about overall effectiveness but as long as I'm moving forward....

I'd agree with Dave Bugg's statement. A lot of hill walking is psychological as well. I remember walking up an extremely steep hill on the VDLP. I ended up walking the same hill the next year, and it seemed like it wasn't even an issue. I find the toughest part is slowing the pace down to get my breathing and heart rate in line. I always try to get up the hill faster than I should.

I came across this technique and was wondering if anyone has used it on steep uphill sections.

I use my own method of “steps and breaths “ sometimes 50 steps then 20 breaths while standing still . Sometimes 50/50, 30 steps then thirty breaths. In less stressful climb I’ll verbally count steps with exaggerated breaths. Like one. , the two etc with deep full breaths each time , works for me -

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In the mid- to late-60’s (my mid 20’s) I took a series of classes given by the Seattle Mountaineers, and was taught the Rest Step. My first real experience with it - that has lasted a lifetime - was when I climbed Mount St Helens in July 1968. It is now my normal way of walking up-hill. It’s an automatic thing.

The first time I walked up to O Cebrero, I couldn’t figure what the big deal was… …also the second, third, forth times…

We are all different people with different learning experiences and life styles… Buen Camino

I found most of the explanation unconvincing. Other than the issue of hypertension, the rest seemed to be dubious history, unsupported assertions and disjointed discussion. Funnily, it seemed the key message was that people should prepare by following his exercise/physio program.

Hyperextending using this technique would be undesirable, and would be a fault in the technique to watch for and correct. It hasn't been a problem for me, but if you think it is, get a knowledgeable friend to observe you and help address it if it is present in your technique.
Thanks Doug. Luthor"s short film is much more effective. I have used the "rest step" for years when ascending long flights of stairs and I have found it very helpful.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

We use it and it helps. You get seconds of none support and muscle relaxation. It helps like poles do. Try it! If it doesn’t seem like it helps you can go back to flexing your muscles ever step.😁😉

No, I pick a point ahead and say to myself "I will rest when I get to that point". I do that all the way up steep hills. I will say that I live at a relatively high elevation in the US Rocky Mt ranges and I thought I would have an advantage over lower elevation pilgrims. NOPE! They just keep right on walking while I am panting away on my rest breaks.

This rest step looks more like my normal slow one step at a time pace anyway.
Me too. I pick a spot ahead and tell myself I can stop if I make it that far.

Yes, however only in NZ and Canada. I've never come across anything in Spain steep enough for long enough to warrant it. I just shorten my stride and walk slowly and steadily

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 'rest step' is something common for mountaineering or when walking at extreme inclines. It is not really that effective on the typical 12 to 22 degree incline of the slog out of St Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles for example. I find the best technique for walking uphill at less acute inclines is to shorten the stride while slowing the walking speed.

Copied and edited from one of my earlier posts. I thought it might be of use here given the nature of this thread. :eek::)
--------------------------------

If a person has some level of cardio fitness, making it up a long uphill grade is a matter of pace, maintaining calorie intake, hydration, and utilizing meaningful breaks.

1. As you head uphill, adjust your pace to a comfortable level which you are able to maintain without needing to frequently stop and start. Frequent stops and starts adds to exhaustion. It doesn't matter if your pace is 4 miles per hour or 0.5 miles per hour. What matters is continuously walking between planned breaks.

Set a planned interval for a short and deliberate break -- say every 20 minutes, lasting for five minutes. Set your pace so that you can walk until reaching break time.

Setting your pace is a dynamic process, you need to adjust it as circumstances dictate. Please set your pace based on what you need, not on how you feel.

How do you maintain a pace at a set speed? My trick is to periodically check myself by silently humming a tune... the same tune.... which is easy to sync to each step I take. Don't laugh, but I use 'Hark The Herald Angles Sing'. It is NOT the speed of the tune that determines my pace, but my pace will determine the speed of the tune. Once that pace is determined, then you can use the speed of the tune to check yourself.

Some folks may view this as too formulaic or too rigid, but that is not the case. It is simply a tool to assist in understanding your body's rhythm while walking. The more familiar you become with your body's needs while hiking -- which happens as your experience grows -- the less need there is for such tricks like humming a tune.

As the grade uphill gets steeper and I need to slow, I don't necessarily slow how fast I take a step, I adjust the length of each step. In other words, in keeping time with my song, I might go from, say, 10 inches between one footstep to the next, to only 5 inches between steps. That will automatically slow how fast I am moving, and still keep me in step with my song.

Inexperienced folks will start out fast and try to maintain that pace because they are fresh, full of energy, and not at all tired. . .yet. They want to keep up with those in better shape. They are in a race for beds. They are worried about being caught in the rain. Whatever.

They will start to crump within a fairly short distance up the hill; and the crumping will become cumulative with each step, even if they slow down later, because they have burned through their energy producing stores with that initial fast pace. They not only will crump, but they are now going to stay in a state of depleted energy which only a very prolonged break can solve.

Start slower than what you feel is a normal pace for you. Let people pass you by, and see how that pace feels as you continue uphill. If you start feeling too out of breath, slow down. If your leg muscles start feeling too fatigued, slow down.

Also, keep the above tips and cautions in mind AFTER you take a break. You will feel refreshed and you will be tempted to start out faster than you should. RESIST that temptation. :)

2. At every short break time, eat something. Your stomach and GI tract can only process food at a specific rate of time, so you want to match your intake of food to that optimum time frame. Eating food at about the rate of 100 calorie increments every 20 to 30 minutes is a good time frame. A quarter of a Snicker bar and a bite of cheese, or a handful of trail mix, or a bit of bocadillo,or some Peanut M&Ms, or some energy gel with some nuts, etc. The idea is to replenish your energy producing stores that your muscles will need for the next 25 to 30 minutes.

In addition to hydrating during breaks, a good technique is to be sipping and drinking water while you are walking. You need to stay hydrated without overdoing water consumption.

3. If it starts to become very difficult to walk 20 minutes without stopping in between, then lengthen your break from 5 minutes to 8 minutes, or 10 minutes. Give your calorie intake a longer period to do its job, and for you to re-oxygenate and fuel your muscle cells. If you find that it fairly easy to walk 20 minutes before stopping, then add 5 more minutes to your walk time between breaks. Still fairly easy? Then keep adding 5 minutes to the interval before stopping. However, I would advise not going longer than 1 hour without taking a break. I usually break every 55 minutes or so.

4. It is understandable if you have some jitters about a physically demanding and prolonged walk up into the mountains or hills. Or even on less aggressive elevations.

Doubt may pierce your mind with a persistent whisper of "can I do this?" which forces one's mind and gut to focus on perceived inadequacies. Doubt doesn't wait for evidence of one's ability to perform, or to look at what actually will occur during your hike. Nope, all Doubt is concerned with, is making you feel inadequate and insecure.

So as you prepare for your Camino you can either let Doubt have its fun with you, or you can push Doubt to the background and tell it to, "Shut up; you just wait and see what I can do!!!".

I go through at least a portion of the above every time late winter eases into spring and I begin preparing for the coming backpacking season, especially for planned multi-week backpacking treks. I went through that for my first Camino in 2017. I am hearing those voices again this year as I am planning on a Camino this Fall.

I just simply respond to the question of 'Can I do this?', by answering "I am as prepared as I can be, I will be flexible to things happening around me, and regardless of what happens, life will continue on".

After all, I am not going into combat, or heading into a burning building; I am just going for a walk. :)

This explanation from the old thread is informative

Yes, the two examples do differ but the effect is the same. I use the technique shown in the second video as per the detailed explanation provided below. When the back leg is straight and locked, there is no weight at all on the front so it could be kept back as per the first video but bringing it forward gives more stability. Normal speed is dead slow for this if used for its original purpose ie climbing at altitude in the mountains but I use it all the time and adapt my pace/rest to suit. Everyone eventually adapts the technique to their own particular circumstances. Try both options and see what suits best.

Hiking Technique - The Rest Step
Jeff Doran, author of the Smoky Mountain Hiking Blog and an online trail guide for Hiking in the Smokies

The "rest step" is a technique used by hikers to slow their cadence, rest their muscles and conserve their energy while trekking on steep terrain at high altitudes.
Essentially, the "rest step" takes pressure and strain off your muscles and transfers it to your bone structure.
Although it's mainly useful on snow, or on climbs at elevation where endurance is important, it can be employed on any trail with steep slopes. It's worked quite well for me on a couple of Colorado trails in recent years.

Here's how it works:
  1. As you step forward on a climb, lock your rear knee and keep all of your weight on that rear leg. As you're swinging your other leg forward, relax the muscles in that leg. Once your forward foot comes to rest on the ground, keep it relaxed so that there's no weight on it. You can stop in that position for as long as you need to.
  2. When you're ready to take the next step, shift your weight to the front foot, step forward with the other and lock the rear knee again, repeating the entire process.
  3. The locked rear knee provides support for your weight without requiring help from the leg muscle. That means your leg, hip and back muscles get a rest, if only for a short moment. Stay paused in that position for however long it takes to avoid running out of breath.
  4. For example, a mountain climber in the Himalayas may stay motionless between steps for 10 seconds or more. At lower altitudes, you might only need a half-second pause. The key is to get into a steady rhythm of doing the same thing for each step you take; a hiking technique that may take some time to adjust to.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).

I have read about this before, but I prefer what I learned on Kilimanjaro from our guides--pole, pole. Walk slowly (at a reasonable pace) that you can maintain rather than rushing and having to stop often to catch your breath. Sometimes I prefer to take long strides that make me feel more powerful, but this only works on certain trails/inclines.

I have read about this before, but I prefer what I learned on Kilimanjaro from our guides--pole, pole. Walk slowly (at a reasonable pace) that you can maintain rather than rushing and having to stop often to catch your breath. Sometimes I prefer to take long strides that make me feel more powerful, but this only works on certain trails/inclines.
Thank you for the reminder, @backpack45 , IN ADDITION to the rest step, we were taught to do this WHILE using our poles! However, I don't use poles when going up hills in the city - so far... maybe the time will come... ;-) YMMV -- this is just me, and it works for ME...

It used to be taught by the guides on the Alps - just before my time climbing there - in the 70’s. Then someone figured out that ski-poles might have a use.

When the guides universally adopted poles in the 80’s - saying that they could extend their careers by a few years - it went out of fashion.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

No, I have not. Instead, when encountering such challenging situations, I persuade (force) my companions to carry me. So far it has worked out well although I have to buy rounds of beer/wine for my companions at our rest stop. Feel free to try this method yourself. Chuck

I'm thinking of other routes like the Norte and Salvador with longer and steeper ascents.
Well it does work, another technique I was taught is guide pace, which is to never get out of breath, just walk more slowly, it is very effective. Quite often my climbing partner and I would be overtaken by young guns on the approach to climbs, only for us to arrive first.

The only time I've used something like a rest step was when walking at very high altitudes in Peru and Nepal but not consciously, it was a natural "adaptation" when climbing on very, very steep terrain and at altitudes of 4000-5500 meters. Taking small, steady steps was the only way to physically make it up to a peak or pass!

I've never needed to do this on any Camino, even during a steap ascent, although keeping a steady, even pace works the best for me, that and preferably only resting when I reach the top. Also I rarely look up which is just a mind game that helps me keep moving along.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I always thought that the ideal way to handle hills is to maintain rhythm but shorten steps.

And, @Kathar1na, I would say that the way up to Orisson is not really ‘moderately steep’ … but it is a great exercise for flexing the lungs 😉

Edit:
Okay, it’s not mountain-steep but it is a prolonged effort, if you stick to the road.

Last edited:
Rhythm is also very important. Stick to your own rhythm, chopping and changing is very tiring. Wait for your companion to catch up.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Small steps, move slowly, breathe more deeply than you think you need to -- that always worked for me climbing at high altitude in the Andes.

Yeah, go slowly and take small steps. Seems to work for me, so far lol
Ps: oh and when it is real-ly steep, I don’t look ahead! It helps 😂

I enjoyed reading all of these contributions. Every one was informative.

I look back to my 2017 Camino Frances when I started late in the day with no training whatsoever and started out from SJPDP. When I came to the steep accent before Orisson I found my self completely exhausted and was only able to take 10 steps at a time. I then discovered if I was determined to take only 10 steps then turn around and look at the scenery for a minute I would have enough energy to take another 10 steps and turn around again. At some point I decided I could take an 11th or 12th step before my viewing rest.
The short story is I was able to make it to Orisson and actually never used this technique again finishing the Frances.

Just my experience….not everyone’s.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
I enjoyed reading all of these contributions. Every one was informative.

I look back to my 2017 Camino Frances when I started late in the day with no training whatsoever and started out from SJPDP. When I came to the steep accent before Orisson I found my self completely exhausted and was only able to take 10 steps at a time. I then discovered if I was determined to take only 10 steps then turn around and look at the scenery for a minute I would have enough energy to take another 10 steps and turn around again. At some point I decided I could take an 11th or 12th step before my viewing rest.
The short story is I was able to make it to Orisson and actually never used this technique again finishing the Frances.

Just my experience….not everyone’s.
On my first Camino, those first kms to Orisson freaked me out! I thought, I can’t do another 20 kms + like this! Lol
Fortunately, it isn’t so bad afterwards….😉

I’ve never used this technique on a Camino uphill. There usually isn’t the type of terrain that would require it. Well, maybe on the Primitivo, but not a lot.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’ve never used this technique on a Camino uphill. There usually isn’t the type of terrain that would require it. Well, maybe on the Primitivo, but not a lot.
You are the latest to make a comment similar to this, and I think that the thinking that goes behind such a statement is wrong. Why?

Let me start by saying its is great that you and the others who say this have the leg strength, aerobic fitness and stamina not to need to use this technique on the camino. I look at those who are making this comment, and wonder how different they might be to the ordinary pilgrim who we are trying to help here. If you didn't struggle leaving SJPP, had no difficulty climbing up to the ridge running down from the Alto del Perdon, didn't struggle up to the Cruz de Ferro or enjoyed walking up to O Cebreiro, and didn't think doing any of those things that you would welcome having another tool in your walking technique toolbox, then I congratulate you on the way you have prepared yourself. I don't think this is common.

More, it is clear some who have made this or similar comments already know of and possibly practice the technique themselves when they find themselves needing it to ensure that they are able to negotiate steeper and longer slopes. Why would you discourage less capable pilgrims from using this in circumstances where they need something different to stop them struggling up a steeper slope at any altitude? I just don't get it. Why not encourage them to have as many tools as they can competently learn to use in their toolbox of walking techniques?

My perspective, pretty clearly, is that this, along with many of the other techniques mentioned in this thread, is not about whether there is less oxygen at altitude, the steepness of a rugged mountain slope or any other clearly demanding situation. It is about the individual and whether at their level of strength, aerobic fitness and stamina they would benefit from this, in addition to any other tools we can help them learn about.

The Alpine guide that guided my group across the Alps had a saying: small steps: long pleasure, long steps: small pleasure! (max. was 1000m gain in Altitude in 4hrs walking)

Since I took this advice serious, I never encountered any problems.

@dougfitz, to an extent I agree with you: we should encourage them to have as many tools as possible in their toolbox. As always however those Tools need to be used properly, and as you yourself have said the first video is terrible and whilst the second that you provided is better it's not how I learnt the technique. Clearly this is individual.

I don't think we are being particularly negative about this, however I (and clearly others) am not convinced that this particular technique is the right one for the Camino, or first-time pilgrims. Different for an experienced hiker looking to add to their skill set? Possibly

I personally feel that any new Pilgrim would be better served by following the excellent advice from @davebugg, and by learning to use their poles properly as both you and I have advocated on many an occasion. Plus, of course, actually did some training.
I'm a great believer in the KISS principal.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't think we are being particularly negative about this, however I (and clearly others) am not convinced that this particular technique is the right one for the Camino, or first-time pilgrims. Different for an experienced hiker looking to add to their skill set? Possibly
Really. I think we risk being seen as arrogant if we say that some techniques are not suitable for tyros, and only experienced hikers should be taught how to used them.

As for whether this is a useful technique on the camino, I do believe that the focus needs to be be in the individual, and whether they would benefit from something more than the standard advice, reflected in @davebugg's earlier post, of setting and maintaining a lower walking cadence, stepping shorter as the slope increases, taking regular breaks and maintaining energy inputs and hydration. We clearly cannot make that assessment in the context of this forum, so let people make their own assessment of whether or not to learn this or any other technique.

More, lets not try and suggest that this technique is only useful in certain, more extreme, environments. Just because some of us might only find it useful in those environments doesn't mean that others will not benefit from it on the various climbs on any of the camino routes.

Last edited:
Really. I think we risk being seen as arrogant if we say that some techniques are not suitable for tyros, and only experienced hikers should be taught how to used them.

As for whether this is a useful technique on the camino, I do believe that the focus needs to be be in the individual, and whether they would benefit from something more than the standard advice, reflected in @davebugg's earlier post, of setting and maintaining a lower walking cadence, stepping shorter as the slope increases, taking regular breaks and maintaining energy inputs and hydration. We clearly cannot make that assessment in the context of this forum, so let people make their own assessment of whether or not to learn this or any other technique.

More, lets not try and suggest that this technique is only useful in certain, more extreme, environments. Just because some of us might only find it useful in those environments doesn't mean that others will not benefit from it on the various climbs on any of the camino routes.
Advice and techniques are suggested and explained and people give their perspective, I see nothing negative.
The reality is, any Camino is just a walk, nothing more, and the hardest step, is the first. Obviously once doing it, one may find more than a walk.

I never look at the gradient map the night before. I just walk at the pace my body allows.
My philosophy too😉. I figure I need to get up the hill/mountain anyway so why look at the gradient 🤣. I find that those maps give you a wrong impression, often worrying you before you even start! While using Wikiloc during the Olvidado (GPS tracks were a must) I often looked at my location in relation to the peak and thought, oh sh*t, that's an incline only to experience that it was not as bad as it looked.

You are the latest to make a comment similar to this, and I think that the thinking that goes behind such a statement is wrong. Why?

Let me start by saying its is great that you and the others who say this have the leg strength, aerobic fitness and stamina not to need to use this technique on the camino. I look at those who are making this comment, and wonder how different they might be to the ordinary pilgrim who we are trying to help here. If you didn't struggle leaving SJPP, had no difficulty climbing up to the ridge running down from the Alto del Perdon, didn't struggle up to the Cruz de Ferro or enjoyed walking up to O Cebreiro, and didn't think doing any of those things that you would welcome having another tool in your walking technique toolbox, then I congratulate you on the way you have prepared yourself. I don't think this is common.

More, it is clear some who have made this or similar comments already know of and possibly practice the technique themselves when they find themselves needing it to ensure that they are able to negotiate steeper and longer slopes. Why would you discourage less capable pilgrims from using this in circumstances where they need something different to stop them struggling up a steeper slope at any altitude? I just don't get it. Why not encourage them to have as many tools as they can competently learn to use in their toolbox of walking techniques?

My perspective, pretty clearly, is that this, along with many of the other techniques mentioned in this thread, is not about whether there is less oxygen at altitude, the steepness of a rugged mountain slope or any other clearly demanding situation. It is about the individual and whether at their level of strength, aerobic fitness and stamina they would benefit from this, in addition to any other tools we can help them learn about.
Wow. Congrats to you for so many misinterpretations and incorrect assumptions. Not sure what tripped your trigger but I have yet to read any responses here that discourage use of this step technique. The question was whether we had used it. My answer was that I have not. Pardon me for offering the reason that I, PERSONALLY, have not used it. My answer was in no way discouraging nor did I offer any blanket recommendation to use or not use it. Surely novice pilgrims are capable of deciding for themselves whether or not to add something to their “toolbox.” Your assumption that some of us are guilty of “wrong thinking” only shows that you believe yourself to be a mind reader. To presume anything about the fitness levels of people you don’t know is offensive. And btw, what the heck is an “ordinary pilgrim?” Nevermind. Don’t bother to answer that. I think you already made that clear.

Unfortunately, that must be one of the worst explanations and demonstrations of the technique I have known as the rest step, and have used on and off for many years. I agree with those who could not tell why what was demonstrated is not just slow walking.

Here is a short explanation of the technique from https://www.active.com/outdoors/articles/hiking-technique-the-rest-step:

There are some much better videos around. One I would recommend is here:
. There are others.

The key for me is keeping the rear leg straight while it is supporting one's weight, and keeping your upper body with its COG over one's hips and knees. With a pack, this might mean a very slight forwards tilt to account for the weight of the pack.

It only has to be a momentary pause to get a benefit. You will set a slightly slower pace, depending on how long you pause in the rest position.
This seems of great advantage when climbing mountains or otherwise walking on uncertain ground. You don't want to commit to the forward foot until you are sure that it is on solid ground. I'm not sure of its value to Camino hikers over the other strategies that have been recommended for climbing hills (shorter steps, etc.), where we generally don't have to worry so much about our footing.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I hate walking uphill. Seriously. The only reason to walk uphill is for the joy of coming down really fast. That said, I was intrigued by reading this post. I live at the base of a large and fairly steep “hill”. On a walk tonight, I went up about 1,000 feet over about a mile and a half. Not killer steep, just a bit of a slog, about 12%, if I did the math right (not an engineer so someone else feel free to calculate). I tried the first video technique and it was a No Go. Stride was too long and I couldn’t get the hang of dangling the weight on the back leg while resting the front. Tried the next video and it was better, weight on the front while swinging the back forward (hope I used the videos the right way, just winged it). But at the end of the day, putting on some music, zoning out and taking smaller steps works best for me on moderate slopes. I like to get in the rhythm and forget about what I’m doing. I can see using the rest step on something steep but at that point, I’m going slow anyway. Will keep experimenting and report back. Thanks for posting, interesting topic.

I have used this technique over many years whenever I have felt the need to deliberately slow my cadence and shorten my step length, ie slow my pace. I have found it useful and very effective at doing that, and making climbing steeper slopes more comfortable.

Some observations:
  • the technique is about negotiating steeper slopes. It is NOT about altitude. It would be just as useful walking up the sand dunes behind your favourite beach as it would be anywhere else.
  • The maximum slope on Route Napoleon is ~27%, shortly before Orisson. It is in a section of around 2.5 km where the average slope exceeds 15%.
    • The maximum slope on Route Valcarlos is over 28%. That is in a section of about a kilometre where the average slope is nearly 22% shortly before the crest of the ridgeline above Roncesvalles.
    • The maximum slope I have found on the Camino Frances is ~35%, shortly after Villafranca del Bierzo.
    • This is based on the tracks provided by the Spanish Federation of Associations of Friends of the Camino de Santiago. The slope calculations were done in Google Earth Pro.
  • On the Camino Primitivo, only two stages have maximum slopes greater than that the maximum on the CF. That route is difficult, it appears, because it has slopes greater than 18% on all but one day, the walk into Melide.
    • why one would suggest using this technique on the Primitivo, and not on the steeper slopes which are on the Camino Frances, puzzles me.

You can do the rest step if that what it takes for the endorphins kick in, but there are really no hills on any Camino to Santiago in Spain that would necessitate this rest step. A better case could be made for walking backwards - for short periods.

Far more likely to see a side-step, box-step, two-step, or steppin out on a Camino.

Thanks to Dave Bugg for more great, practical advice.

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

walking up hills
This is absolutely the advice. Cut your step length without varying the work rate. Not stopping helps the rhythm and also helps by not having to start after lots of stops,
Also tried and tested by the mountaineering community!
I have used it from Himalyas through to Alps and extensive climbing in Scotland.
As one old fella told me if needs be go heel/ toe/ heel/ toes if really steep

Yes, it works. I learned it from the Mountaineers Club in Seattle decades ago. It got me to the base camp on Mt. Rainier.

Walk a bit , stop a bit ,admire the view a bit , walk a bit and repeat. Simples.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
In the mid- to late-60’s (my mid 20’s) I took a series of classes given by the Seattle Mountaineers, and was taught the Rest Step. My first real experience with it - that has lasted a lifetime - was when I climbed Mount St Helens in July 1968. It is now my normal way of walking up-hill. It’s an automatic thing.

The first time I walked up to O Cebrero, I couldn’t figure what the big deal was… …also the second, third, forth times…

We are all different people with different learning experiences and life styles… Buen Camino
I learned the rest step in conjunction with pressure breathing when I trained to climb Mt. Rainier. I found the techniques worked best for me in snow with crampons and at steep angles approaching 45 degrees. I never felt the need to employ them while on the Camino which I walked at age 75. As has been said before, pacing and shorter steps are effective at countering the fatigue that we all eventually experience.

Is this similar to "monkey walking" as demonstrated by 2 guys in Pamplona last year. Hilarious demonstrations in the dinning room
Laurence

It was something to do with they way primates walk, not straight legged as Humans,
and apparently it eases knee pain when climbing steep trails, not something ive tried but very funny watching the demonstrations

It was something to do with they way primates walk, not straight legged as Humans,
Humans are primates! Whether our ability to straighten our knee is a characteristic that distinguishes us from other primates is not something I know much about. While we can straighten our knee, I think a normal walking gait would only see us with a straight leg for a quarter of the walking cycle, perhaps less. That would be from the time the foot of our leading leg makes initial contact until that leg passes the vertical, after which the knee has to bend. It is possible that some people walk without the knee ever being in a neutral position, ie there is still some bend in the knee from initial contact, and the weight of the body is continually being carried on a bent knee.

Last edited:
Tried this on the week-end with some very steep local paths. WONDERFUL!!!
My heart rate was completely in my control... I could push it if I wanted to for the workout, but I could also use this technique, never go over 122 bpm on a hill that usually takes me to 146-ish, and then, at the top, could blast back to my normal speed.
My tracker told me that where those hills have in the past slowed me to 15-16 minutes per km, using this technique kept me at sub 13 minutes per km.
Fantastic!

Some great info here, and the links have me down rabbit holes for more time than I really have to spend. If there's this much info around for walking up hills then perhaps there's equivalent for the downhills which are my nemesis. I often pass my buddies on the uphill only to turn into a timid old lady on the downs!

Most read last week in this forum

This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
Hola, todos. When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue. Now I'm looking to return to finish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back