Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rabaçal

Kev&Kath

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - Oct/Dec 21
VdlP - Apr/Jun 23
Elle...sorry...another question if I may (and I'm trying hard not to be a barnacle lol). In reading your website for the Portuguese (Day 8 - Alvorge to Condeixa-A-Velha) there is detail of an albergue in Rabacal. When I was doing my initial research (and bookings) I couldn't find anything in Rabacal, and opted for digs in Penela (which after a 30km walking day was going to be a 10 min taxi ride...and back to Rabacal the next morning). However, in reading your blog it seems that Hostel Albergue O Bonito is, in fact, in Rabacal (but the link to Bookings also seems to point to Penela). Can you advise?

Very much enjoying your blog, and finding so much really good info. Thank you again!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Elle...actually I think I answered my own question. I clicked on the Hostel/Albergue's link(in your blog) and it took me to Bookings. Had a look at the imbedded map. Has Albergue O Bonito smack in the middle of Rabacal. The accommenndation looks ok...so will definitely do us!
Your blog has saved me a taxi ride (which we would have hated)!!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
The Albergue O Bonito is definitely in Rabaçal! Glad you figured it out!
I moved these posts to a new thread, because I wanted to ask a Rabaçal questionnor two.

When I slept in Rabaçal, about 15 years ago now, there was an albergue connected to the little museum in town that has a few artifacts from the Roman villa unearthed near town. Is the Albergue O Bonito a different place?

And I’m also wondering if the museum is still there. One thing I remember is that there was a display showing petrified remains of shellfish, which showed that these were really rich people is they could afford to have people bring them shellfish from the ocean to their inland site. Did you go to the Roman villa? When I was there, the guide drove me out and it was really a nice visit. The villa is pretty much in total ruins, but there are some nice mosaics that have been discovered. He told me that he grew up in Rabaçal, and that when the ruins were first discovered, all the locals (him included) would go out to the site and help the professionals with the excavation. He showed quite a lot of justifiable local pride of ownership at the site.

I also remember (in the days before I had an electric coil) that the owner of the café across the street promised me he would be open by 7, but I left town at about 7:30 with no coffee!

I also remember (in the days before I had an electric coil) that the owner of the café across the street promised me he would be open by 7, but I left town at about 7:30 with no coffee!
I have been left at the alter a few times, waiting for a cafe to open after the owner promised the cafe would be open at a designated time. Hate when that happens!!😿:):)

When I slept in Rabaçal, about 15 years ago now, there was an albergue connected to the little museum in town that has a few artifacts from the Roman villa unearthed near town. Is the Albergue O Bonito a different place?
The Albergue O Bonito is a separate place from the museum, when you first enter town on the Camino. I believe it was brand new in 2017. It has grown and changed over the years, with a new enclosed restaurant that used to be mostly outdoors.

As far as I know, there was no other accommodation in Rabaçal, when I was just there in April. If there is something at the musuem now, there is no sign along the road indicating as such and Gronze does not list it. I did not visit the museum but Google still has it on the map.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I can't tell you how many times I expected a café to be open when they said they would be the night before, and it never happened. There are at least two cafés in Rabaçal, the O Bonito is one (who says they open at 7:00 on weekdays), but none across from the museum.

Most read last week in this forum

We are still in Lisbon at a hotel waiting to get to Porto. We are a day behind our desired schedule. Being here is so different from watching everyone’s videos and instructions. Hubby is thinking...
Greetings from Portugal, We are currently in the town of Santarem. We have met some wonderful folks and we have a question. Does anyone know if there is a way to transport backpacks from here to...
We are walking the Camino Portuguese today and the fires outside of Albergaría a Velha forced us to evacuate to Sao Joao da Madeira. I am trying to find the best resource to check on our path to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back