• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim’s mass at Santiago cathedral

jsanwe

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Porugués Coastal Route - July 2024
I plan to arrive in Santiago on Saturday morning (20 July), having walked from Porto on the Portuguese coastal route, and plan to stay in Santiago until early Monday morning (22 July). Whilst in Santiago I would like to attend a pilgrim’s mass. Is this possible and if so, how?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I plan to arrive in Santiago on Saturday morning (20 July), having walked from Porto on the Portuguese coastal route, and plan to stay in Santiago until early Monday morning (22 July). Whilst in Santiago I would like to attend a pilgrim’s mass. Is this possible and if so, how?
every day at noon, guaranteed. if you stay till the 25th, you'll see the King of Spain and the botafumeiro

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Is it true there are no masses in the cathedral itself, or did I misunderstand the info in that link? Also, the cathedral website doesn't mention alternate locations and it has more pilgrim masses listed (https://catedraldesantiago.es/liturgia/#horarios-misas).

Can someone please clarify? I'm arriving in two days. 😊

every day at noon, guaranteed. if you stay till the 25th, you'll see the King of Spain and the botafumeiro
The King is not attending the ceremony this year. The President of the Galician parliament has been appointed as the King's representative at the event.

Is it true there are no masses in the cathedral itself, or did I misunderstand the info in that link? Also, the cathedral website doesn't mention alternate locations and it has more pilgrim masses listed (https://catedraldesantiago.es/liturgia/#horarios-misas).

Can someone please clarify? I'm arriving in two days. 😊
The mass is at noon every day in the cathedral - just make sure you arrive in plenty of time to get in...as in at least an hour before. The queue is enormous and snakes up and down the stairs and around the square - at least it did in June.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The King is not attending the ceremony this year. The President of the Galician parliament has been appointed as the King's representative at the event.

If the King or the head of the Galician parliament attends, that Mass will usually*not* be open to the Pilgrim public. Ask me how I know...;/

Check the Cathedral website for up-to-date Mass schedules, not any other.

Is it true there are no masses in the cathedral itself, or did I misunderstand the info in that link? Also, the cathedral website doesn't mention alternate locations and it has more pilgrim masses listed (https://catedraldesantiago.es/liturgia/#horarios-misas). Can someone please clarify? I'm arriving in two days. 😊
This is unfortunate: The link provided in post #2 about mass at the Cathedral of Santiago is out of date and has been out of date for several years. The renovation works that are mentioned in this link have been finished a long time ago.

The times for mass on https://catedraldesantiago.es/liturgia/#horarios-misas are the correct times and up to date: Pilgrim mass is celebrated every day of the week at 7:30, 9:30, 12:00 and 19:30.

For those interested in the times for the pilgrim mass on 25 July 2024: The Solemn Mass at 10:30 is not a pilgrim mass. Whether the King of Spain is present or not, it is unlikely for pilgrims from out of town to be admitted or find a place. On this special feast day, there is a change to the usual schedule for the pilgrim mass: There is no pilgrim mass in the morning and also not at midday but at the following times in the afternoon: 13:00, 16:00, 17:00, 18:00 and 19:30.

Source: https://catedraldesantiago.es/solemnidad-del-apostol-santiago-2024/

Last edited:
This is unfortunate: The link provided in post #2 about mass at the Cathedral of Santiago is out of date and has been out of date for several years. The renovation works that are mentioned in this link have been finished a long time ago.

The times for mass on https://catedraldesantiago.es/liturgia/#horarios-misas are the correct times and up to date: Pilgrim mass is celebrated every day of the week at 7:30, 9:30, 12:00 and 19:30.

For those interested in the times for the pilgrim mass on 25 July 2024: The Solemn Mass at 10:30 is not a pilgrim mass. Whether the King of Spain is present or not, it is unlikely for pilgrims from out of town to be admitted or find a place. On this special feast day, there is a change to the usual schedule for the pilgrim mass: There is no pilgrim mass in the morning and also not at midday but at the following times in the afternoon: 13:00, 16:00, 17:00, 18:00 and 19:30.

Thank you for the detailed response.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

You are one of the few among the many who has the right information!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I completed my 3rd Camino on my 60th this week and was leaving Santiago this morning 20/7 when I thought I should drop in to the Cathedral to visit our patron saint. It was 9.00 but I stayed for the 9.30 pilgrim mass. What a shock what a blessing..the Botafumeiro.

Attachments

• IMG_4896.jpeg
    IMG_4896.jpeg
    581 KB · Views: 11
I completed my 3rd Camino on my 60th this week and was leaving Santiago this morning 20/7 when I thought I should drop in to the Cathedral to visit our patron saint. It was 9.00 but I stayed for the 9.30 pilgrim mass. What a shock what a blessing..the Botafumeiro.
I was there too, and was delighted to see it.

Thank you to everyone who provided such helpful responses. I arrived in Santiago this morning and attended the 09:30 mass, and was delighted to see the Botofumeiro swing. After the mass I went to the pilgrim’s office and picked up my certificates.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Can’t insist enough on the need to arrive VERY early. Last time walked from Porto to Santiago, I could not get in the pilgrims’ mass because of….. a km long line-up of curious tourists from cruise ships 30 minutes before mass!!! Same thing at Finisterra: several bus-loads of giggly tourists were determined to get their photo at Km 0 before their bus left! Onwards to Muxia for a bit of serenity!

on 25 July 2024: The Solemn Mass at 10:30 is not a pilgrim mass.
On this special feast day, there is a change to the usual schedule for the pilgrim mass: There is no pilgrim mass in the morning and also not at midday but at the following times in the afternoon: 13:00, 16:00, 17:00, 18:00 and 19:30.
The Solemn Mass of 25 July 2024 is over. The Spanish king was not present. He was represented by a delegate who held the traditional speech.

The large doors on the facade of the Obradoiro square were opened today and have now already been closed again.

There was a change to the liturgy compared to previous years: the Botafumeiro did not swing at the start to accompany the procession of the baldachin with the statue of Saint James containing a relic of the saint but at the end of the mass, as it is also usual for the pilgrim mass. Now for today’s 5 pilgrim masses …

Most read last week in this forum

I would love to hear feed back from anyone who is walking between Logrono to Belorado today. It should be an exciting day if one is into bike racing.
I tried to search threads for this information, so apologies if it's already been covered. I will have 1-2 nights in Santiago. With limited time, I'd rather have 1-2 meaningful experiences, than...
Hi Folks, I'm guiding a group on pilgrimage next summer and am on the hunt for either a retreat house or a house for rent in/near Santiago for us to conclude our time together and debrief the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back