Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim rubbish left at Fisterra - video

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
A short video about the continuing problem of pilgrims leaving clothing and other items near the lighthouse in Fisterra. A "tradition" which local people would like to see stopped.

Dumping rubbish.
I fail to appreciate this "tradition". What possible meaning can this "tradition" have? Simply look around and see the trash scattered in this area. Its disgusting. Why add to it? Do we not have some appreciation for the environment and the beauty of the Camino that we have just travelled, only to arrive at the end and dump our waste?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I suppose lacing it through the links of a fence is better than burning it, but come on people. I think the idea of imposing a fine on anyone who does it, which was suggested in the video, is a great idea! Though that would require diverting security resources from what are undoubtedly more urgent local issues.
I don't know how many fines would be handed out or how often people leave their stupid things and burn gear and shoes in Finestere. Haven't been there in a few years. But maybe there are so many idiots that continue this practice that the added security would pay for itself. Fine them up the ying yang!

It started with burning shoes which escalated to burning everything and setting the cliffs on fire then that was stopped and that has been replaced with this! I wonder what will be replaced when they stop this!

I was in Finisterre last week after walking the CF. Now I have to ask who is the moron who put up that fence? A dumpster would be more appropriate. Here is part of my email report from that day:

Traditionally, Peregrinos would burn their old stinky worn out clothes here. It pissed off the environmentalists, so now they mostly just hang the trash on this above ground land fill 😆. …and you can see all the litter accumulation polluting the surrounding field. Last year, global warming did not occur at the predicted rate. Scientists attributed it to the particulate matter in the air, resultant from the numerous forrest fires, reflecting solar radiation and causing a bit of cooling effect. Maybe they will reinstate the burning of stinky pilgrim attire to help alleviate global warming.
1716912416507.png
Look at this foolishness

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Traditionally, Peregrinos would burn their old stinky worn out clothes here.
I believe that this was a modern "tradition," which unfortunately has been repeated on too many websites, YouTube videos, and blogs, including your own.

It pissed off the environmentalists,
It didn't just piss of the environmentalists, it pissed off the locals because it's a dangerous practice that has caused real damage.

@trecile, you're way too polite.
I believe that this was a modern "tradition," which unfortunately has been repeated on too many websites, YouTube videos, and blogs, including your own.
"This is a stupid modern practice which unfortunately has been repeated on too many websites, YouTube videos, and blogs, including your own."

There. Fixed.

Fixing the problem is much harder.
Self-centered posts on people's social media feeds will keep it going indefinitely unless there's a consequence. Every darn time someone does this.
Good luck with that.

This can be regarded as part of the ‘festival culture’ of ‘someone else will clear up what we are too lazy to dispose of properly or take home.
Alas I see it all the time now in remote mountain shelters. Dump it as someone else might use my stinking hoodie, disgusting sleeping bag …. And in any case it only cost me €25 so why should I care.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A short video about the continuing problem of pilgrims leaving clothing and other items near the lighthouse in Fisterra. A "tradition" which local people would like to see stopped.

This practice is simply unacceptable. A Pilgrim leaving clothing in this way must know that some other poor soul is going to have to remove it.
Just rejoice that you have finished your Pilgrimage arrived at ‘the end of the world’, say a prayer and thank God for your health and fitness.

I could not access the sound.
I was in no doubt, though.
Custom?
Tradition?
Ignorant behaviour?
May whomsoever is your Higher Power have mercy on us all.

Edit: ignorant, not wilfull, necessarily. Still, ignorant.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you REALLY want a good whinge, I am disgusted by the number of ladies leaving used toilet paper on the side of the track. For the love of all that is holy, please burn your toilet paper (and bury any solid wastes). It seems there is toilet paper behind every bush or potential private spot the whole way from SJPDP.

If you REALLY want a good whinge, I am disgusted by the number of ladies leaving used toilet paper on the side of the track. For the love of all that is holy, please burn your toilet paper (and bury any solid wastes). It seems there is toilet paper behind every bush or potential private spot the whole way from SJPDP.
Bag it up; carry it to the next town; throw it out properly. It's way too hot, and will get far too dry, to be burning anything in the countryside. How fires start.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Dumping rubbish.
I fail to appreciate this "tradition". What possible meaning can this "tradition" have? Simply look around and see the trash scattered in this area. Its disgusting. Why add to it? Do we not have some appreciation for the environment and the beauty of the Camino that we have just travelled, only to arrive at the end and dump our waste?
In the past, pilgrims had walked for months without washing and providing clean clothing and were covered in lice.that’s why they burned the clothing. Since the invention of soap there is no need to burn and it is asocial to leave the rubbish behind.
Unfortunately the majority of the pilgrims do not read the posts on this forum.
When I mention this forum, lots of “pilgrims “ never heard about it.
And so lots do not know about this stupid behavior and continue to burn their rags .
it is the responsibility of the municipality to which fisterre belongs to make them aware of it.
We from this forum know burning clothes is not done 😇

When I mention this forum, lots of “pilgrims “ never heard about it.
I find this to be true, too, when meeting pilgrims along the way. We here are just a "drop in the bucket".
I have been to Finesterre three times before 2020, and I don't recall seeing any debris; not that I was looking for it, so not sure if the problem is possibly escalating or not.

I suspect that if you just had somebody walking up and down ostentatiously depositing momentoes into a large black plastic bag, the practice would soon stop.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

After I rested for a day and a half, waiting for my walkingbuddy to arrive, we started walking on the 11th of September. She also walked with me and another friend last year on the Ingles and this...
Help ! Was walking the Santiago to Finesterre Camino from Vilaserio to Albergue Ponte Oliveira on Wednesday 11 September. Unfortunately I lost my varifocal glasses somewhere on route The glasses...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back