Search 69,459 Camino Questions

190 kilometres from where?

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
In the Plazade la Alameda, Santo Domingo de la Calzada, there is a fairly small plaque close to the ground. I get my photo taken there every time I pass through SDdlC. On the plaque it says, at the top, COMITE INTERPAISES ESPANA FRANCIA ANDORRA. Below that it says Km 190 and, at the bottom, Camino de Santiago 30 - X - 1999.
SDdlC is 204 km from Saint Jean PdP. Somebody once told me that the plaque is 190 km from Roncesvalles. I accepted that for years, but yesterday I asked Google Maps how far SDdlC is from Roncesvalles: 176 km came the reply. It is 182 km from the French-Spanish border. So I asked the SDdlC tourist office what the 190 km sign meant. Their reply:
VĂŤA VERDE DEL RĂŤO OJA- SENDERO DE GRAN RECORRIDO SGR-93
El antiguo trazado ferroviario que unía las localidades de Haro y Ezcaray entre los años 1956 y 1964 fue reconvertido en 1996 por la Fundación de Ferrocarriles Españoles como Vía Verde del río Oja entre las localidades de Santo Domingo de la Calzada y Ezcaray.
Se trata de un sendero balizado de montaña de 190 km que transcurre desde Santo Domingo de la Calzada hasta Valverde, en la parte oriental de la región.
Google Translate: "VĂŤA VERDE DEL RĂŤO OJA - LONG-DISTANCE TRAIL SGR-93 The old railway line that linked the towns of Haro and Ezcaray between 1956 and 1964 was converted in 1996 by the Spanish Railways Foundation as the VĂ­a Verde del RĂ­o Oja between the towns of Santo Domingo de la Calzada and Ezcaray. This is a 190 km marked mountain trail that runs from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Valverde, in the eastern part of the region."
GM says that the (shortest) distance from Valverde to SDdlC is 132 km. I googled 'via verde del rio oja' and found that it passes through Casalarreina. When I put this town into the route, the distance became 146 km. Well short of 190 km. However, if the tourist office is right, and the VĂ­a Verde goes from Valverde to SDdlC by some circuitous route that encompasses 190 km, what has the path from SDclC to Ezcaray got to do with it? If you add Haro and Ezcaray into the route, the distance is 162 km. But this would be on a plaque in Ezcaray.

So, according to the SDdlC tourist office, the sign has nothing to do with the Camino de Santiago, despite what is written on it.
Does anyone have an answer to the question in my subject line? No random places on a circle centred on SDdlC with a radius of 190 km, please.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Interesting puzzle.

Is this link relevant?

Also, in OsmAnd with Configure Map set to enable trails, GR 93 does appear. It goes in a circuitous manner from Valverde to SDdlC. I did not measure its route length.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Could it be, that the 190km denotes exactly what the tourist office says, but the numbers are simply way out.. like about half the mojĂłns and signs on all of the caminos all over Spain?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...
Apologies if this isn't the right thread, but I searched the forum and only saw threads about Portugal. I was googling for info about the fires, and Google Maps showed one in Spain. No idea how...
Anyone struggling to find a place in Los arcos 6 km beyond is albergue sansol oasis.I can highly recommend excellent host and food
I heard it mentioned that rather than walking through the industrial section of Leon it was possible to take a bus out of the city....but where to?
Hi, We walked the Camino de Santiago for the first time in May & June this year, and absolutely loved it. We plan on walking the first week again in October (with a view to going back later next...
Hi do any of my pergrino friends have an Amazon watch charger with them I could use to charge my watch up in burgos on the 20th of september.buen camino

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back