• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Phone and GPS locator on the shoulder strap

JustOneGuy

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug 2024: GR130, Apr 25: Camino Primitivo?
I would like to hang my phone (and possibly my GPS locator) from the shoulder straps of my backpack. Does anyone have first hand experience with a model that:

1) can be purchased online, possibly not just on Amazon.es because they don't ship here.
2) can be quickly removed/attached
3) is lightweight
4) is safe and reliable (the phone won't drop and get lost)

I do not need to take video while walking. Just to quickly reach the phone if required.

Thanks!

Last edited:
One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
I use pockets, usually available with trousers. Though I have noted that my Osprey has a stretchy mesh pocket built into the left hand shoulder strap I’d always imagined that that was for a packet of fags or one of those emergency sized miniatures you get issued on airplanes.

I’m absolutely confident that your phone and gps locator will work wherever they are about your person. I’ve also just discovered that my Osprey has a similar web pocket on the hip belt which would also render my phone immediately accessible. What scenario are you envisioning where having your phone on your shoulder strap would be helpful?

Has your backpack got a loop or two on the shoulder straps? Most hikers hang their GPs device with a simple carabiner from that, the other side generally has a mesh pouch or similar for the phone. (Mine simply goes in one of my belt pouches or in my waist belt if I'm wearing one).
There are lots of different aftermarket devices do you have a sports shop nearby that you could go to? Or is it something that you could potentially make yourself?

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
I’m a bit at a loss to think of too many if any times that I needed my phone or gps quickly while walking except to take photos. Even then, it was usually a quick retrieval from my pants pocket or the hip strap pouch on my Osprey (although I too am hesitant to leave anything of real value in or attached to my pack). With regard to the signage, the frequent yellow arrows on the CF make having a device with a gps feature almost unnecessary. However, an app like maps.cz can be of help navigating through a city or, easier yet, just follow the pilgrim in front of you. I just can‘t imagine many situations where you have to quickly grab for your phone (maybe a rainbow?). Buen Camino.

Thanks for the hints,@Tincatinker and @Grousedoctor

Three problems, unfortunately...

1) sometime I would like to use very light running shorts: no pockets.
2) my phone doesn't fit into the shoulder straps of my Osprey Stratos
3) the GPS locator actually doesn't pick the signal if inside my pockets. It must be hanging outside, but if I attach it on the top of my Osprey after some time it has the bad habit of felling on my neck...

The main reason I want the two devices promptly available is for safety in case I fell, and to take a picture whenever I like withouth having to stop. Moreover, having the pocket empty helps to avoid chafing and additional effort.

Please consider I am not going to the Camino Frances but to the pretty obscure GR130 in La Palma, Canary Islands.

Last edited:
Has your backpack got a loop or two on the shoulder straps? Most hikers hang their GPs device with a simple carabiner from that, the other side generally has a mesh pouch or similar for the phone. (Mine simply goes in one of my belt pouches or in my waist belt if I'm wearing one).
There are lots of different aftermarket devices do you have a sports shop nearby that you could go to? Or is it something that you could potentially make yourself?
Thanks as usual, @Peterexpatkiwi! Actually I was thinking to make it by myself, using maybe velcro and some contraption...

Not many items and shops around in the island. And I like that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My concern with attaching my phone to my backpack is that sometimes I walk away from my backpack. On Camino everything of value is on my person. The assortment of underwear, tins of tuna and my slightly whiffy sleeping bag in my backpack can easily be replaced. My phone, passport and sovereigns I keep close
Thanks again @Tincatinker

People reports that you may spend a full day on the GR130 without meeting anyone, except maybe a sheperd. And this is one of the reason I want to do it... Moreover, the place is extremely safe....

Thanks for the hints,@Tincatinker and @Grousedoctor

Three problems, unfortunately...

1) sometime I would like to use very light running shorts: no pockets.
2) my phone doesn't fit into the shoulder straps of my Osprey Stratos
3) the GPS locator actually doesn't pick the signal if inside my pockets. It must be hanging outside, but if I attach it on the top of my Osprey after some time it has the bad habit of felling on my neck...

The main reason I want the two devices promptly available is for safety in case I fell, and to take a picture whenever I like withouth having to stop. Moreover, having the pocket empty helps to avoid chafind and additional effort.

Please consider I am not going to the Camino Frances but to the pretty obscure GR130 in La Palma, Canary Islands.
1: you’re planning on running? Otherwise shorts with a pocket or two would meet that need.
2: try an iPhone SE, or just try. I find those mesh pockets pretty stretchy and it’ll be worth working some give into the mesh
3: ???? Even my Fitbit will pick up and reflect gps through three thermal layers and a heavy waxed cotton coat when I’m wildfowling in deep marsh in deep winter

Unless you’re planning a very obscure Camino in deep winter I think you’re overthinking the risks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
OK, I’ve finally twigged that you’re heading at the GR130 across Las Palmas.

I still think you’re overthinking the risks. You might also want to check whether your locator is licensed for use there. And, frankly, a PL that doesn’t work through fabric is going to be totally useless at the bottom of a gully or in dense scrub.

Enjoy your trip

1: you’re planning on running? Otherwise shorts with a pocket or two would meet that need.
2: try an iPhone SE, or just try. I find those mesh pockets pretty stretchy and it’ll be worth working some give into the mesh
3: ???? Even my Fitbit will pick up and reflect gps through three thermal layers and a heavy waxed cotton coat when I’m wildfowling in deep marsh in deep winter

Unless you’re planning a very obscure Camino in deep winter I think you’re overthinking the risks
1. No no! Unfortunately I cannot anymore... :-(
2. Thanks for the suggestion but I would like to avoid any further expense: i live with the principle of one phone, one laptop, one backpack, one car, one bycicle etc... untile they (or me) die.
3. The GPS locator can receive the signal maybe under a layer of cotton, but it cannot transmit my position to relay satellites.

However, I think that a simple carabiner may works actually for it. Thanks again for your time and hints.

OK, I’ve finally twigged that you’re heading at the GR130 across Las Palmas.

I still think you’re overthinking the risks. You might also want to check whether your locator is licensed for use there. And, frankly, a PL that doesn’t work through fabric is going to be totally useless at the bottom of a gully or in dense scrub.

Enjoy your trip
Thanks, but no, is not, because it trasmits my position every 5 minutes. So if I fall into a ravine (there are some quite exposed paths in the north), or break a leg and I am unable to move, people immediately know where I am and when it stopped sending messages.

Consider that I am used to working and driving alone - not for leisure, at least in the recent years - in the high mountains of the Atacama desert, or in Antarctica, and I have gotten used to letting my wife and my son know where I am at all times.

I've survived to near-fatal accidents a couple of time in the past, and I want to make sure my wife knows it's not time yet to find someone else... 😁

p.s. Please note that the island of La Palma is different from Las Palmas, a city in Gran Canaria (and also from Palma di Maiorca) But don't worry, you're in good company: I heard about people who ended up at the wrong airport... :D

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
La Palma. Thanks. I’ll re-refer my auto correct.

I take it you turn the thing off whenever you stop for a beer 🤪
I get your joke, but... just to clarify (there are some misunderstandings about this): if I stop for a beer, I can be contacted by phone. The GPS locator is useful if:

1) I have a serious injury, am still conscious, but need to be rescued in an area with no phone service.

OR

2) I have lost consciousness in an accident. In this case, it limits the area in which to search for me after I have been out of contact for an unexpected amount of time.

can you tell me please the name of the product? Amazon.es doesn't deliver to the Canary Island, but Amazon.com , .co.uk, .de do, although at an additional cost.

I think I will go for something like this: https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/diy-simple-shoulder-pouch-for-backpacks/ (with some changes). Not enough time for safe delivery here from another country's amazon...

And I like recycling... :cool:

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I carry a GPS, I use a small pouch (berghaus at present, but I have used others) which clips onto a cheststrap or the like. For my phone I use a waterproof pouch with a neckstrap. The neck strap generally goes under my pack cheststrap to stop the pouch and phone swinging around, or I slip it under my shirt. 20240813_172453.jpgI understand that your GPS locater needs as clear a path to the sky as possible to send its messages. I think something like this might work if you leave the antenna poking out of the top of the pouch. It won't be quite so secure, but that's the trade-off I see you would have to make with this approach.

Last edited:
No idea where you live, but if its in the UK you can have a look at https://www.treadlitegear.co.uk/
I purchased a phone pocket and bottle holder from them to attach to my shoulder straps (back when shipping from UK to EU wasnt such a problem) and the quality is really good. They offer different varieties, and i guess with some talent (that i lack) one could easily make something similar themself.

Interesting: this guy has the very same GPS Locator I have, a SPOT Gen 3, and it seem to work on that open pocket:

You could also make the pocket from mesh?
Personally I think I would just use the cloth belt that the Gen 3 comes with, shorten it and connect a carabiner to it. Then put a couple of velcro dots on the back and backpack strap to stop it swinging around.
A waist pack, or a homemade pouch for the phone.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My concern with attaching my phone to my backpack is that sometimes I walk away from my backpack. On Camino everything of value is on my person. The assortment of underwear, tins of tuna and my slightly whiffy sleeping bag in my backpack can easily be replaced. My phone, passport and sovereigns I keep close
I'm with Tink on this one. My iPhone rides in one of the cargo pockets of my hiking pants. It never leaves my possession.

On a very rainy day, I might move it to an inner upper pocket of a fleece or parka. If I think it might possibly get very wet - like when crossing a stream - I put it in a ziplock bag, then back in my pocket.

Stuff happens. But, I would never leave it attached to a rucksack shoulder strap on in a rucksack pocket if I stopped for any reason.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I would like to hang my phone (and possibly my GPS locator) from the shoulder straps of my backpack. Does anyone have first hand experience with a model that:

1) can be purchased online, possibly not just on Amazon.es because they don't ship here.
3) is lightweight

I do not need to take video while walking. Just to quickly reach the phone if required.

Thanks!
I have walked two Caminos with this and it works great. My phone is too big to fit in the waist pockets. On Amazon,

Nite Ize Squeeze Clippable Phone Holder​

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Keeping your phone in your pants pocket has some risk. I keep mine in my left front pants pocket and fell descending a wet steep degraded slope and landed on my left hip. The hip did fine, but there was a huge impact on my phone destroying it. I am not sure if the phone saved my hip, but the phone was easier to replace than my hip.

On a recent non-camino hike I wore Patagonia Baggies shorts... I started with the phone in the front pockets of the shorts but after about a month I switched to a shoulder strap holder, mainly because the shorts developed holes in their light weight mesh pockets. My Garmin in-reach mini was attached to the other shoulder strap using a carabiner.

I will not, and have not employed this system on a camino.

My camino shorts are more of the cargo variety. I like the Khuls.

When you are out in the woods it is no big deal to keep your phone attached to your backpack because there is nobody around who wants to steal it. On the camino though, when I drop a pack off outside a bakery to get one of those tasty pastries, there are other non-walkers around. I'd rather have it in the pocket of my not so lightweight but wonderful shorts. Note that I have NEVER experienced any theft on the Camino. But still tho, it's your phone! When people ask me about the most important piece of gear I carry... it is my phone!

3) is lightweight

Thanks!
I have a shoulder strap pouch that sounds perfect for what you want. It’s made by a small hiking gear company in the U.S. called Chicken Tramper Ultralight Gear. I love their equipment and I imagine they would ship anywhere. It’s two fellows who make their gear personally in a spare room in their home. I have the shoulder strap pouch on one side and a water bottle holder on the other strap. You can browse their gear at chickentrampergear.com.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

3) is lightweight

Thanks!
One other comment about this. I greatly prefer the shoulder strap pouch to carrying my phone or other device in my pants pocket because my pants get wet from sweat. I use my hip belt pockets for other items.

Totally agree. If it is raining I switch it to my rain gear pocket. Do those ponchos have pockets? :)
The CTUG shoulder strap pouch is water resistant with a zipper closure. I’ve only gotten concerned about rain a time or two. For that, I put it in a LokSac and still carry it in the shoulder strap pouch. In hot weather I don’t wear a rain jacket but in cooler weather the rain jacket pocket is a good idea.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The CTUG shoulder strap pouch is water resistant with a zipper closure. I’ve only gotten concerned about rain a time or two. For that, I put it in a LokSac and still carry it in the shoulder strap pouch. In hot weather I don’t wear a rain jacket but in cooler weather the rain jacket pocket is a good idea.
Ok. That works. But what do you do when you go into a bakery? Like, I'm lazy I guess, taking out and repositioning the phone sounds like a lot of effort.

3) is lightweight

Thanks!
Hi, I have a similar request. While waking my previous caminos, I liked to have my phone cum gps handy. After different attemps I'm going to go for a phone pouche that will attach to the stomach belt of my backpack, large enough to incorporate also my power bank

I have two Zpacks shoulder strap pouches on my backpack. One holds my iPhone SE which is larger than normal because it is in a protective case. The other holds a small water bottle which makes it easy to access for frequent sipping. My arms are not flexible enough to reach around to a side pocket. The pouches are pricey but very light. Buen Camino

Ok. That works. But what do you do when you go into a bakery? Like, I'm lazy I guess, taking out and repositioning the phone sounds like a lot of effort.
No effort at all. It’s just there. Unless you take your pack off. I wouldn’t leave my devices unattended.

In my case, my phone is also my [OsmAnd] GPS device.

I consult the OsmAnd screen frequently when navigating. Therefore it must be readily accessible.

I carry it in a mini front-pack that I made from a nylon phone pouch that I bought on Amazon.

This pouch has three spaces and accommodates my phone plus a comb, a pen, about 10 3"x5" cards, some other very small stuff. If I used glasses I suppose I could insert a pair of reading glasses into the smaller of the spaces.

There is a belt loop that I do not use. Instead, I used several textile rivets (smooth, black, no sharp edges, and easy to use) and some 2.5 cm wide black nylon webbing to devise a simple over-the-shoulders-and-across-the-back rigging system. It sort of resembles old-time men's suspenders. One webbing is attached to the top left corner of the pouch, goes over my left shoulder, crosses my back, and is attached to the bottom right corner of the pouch. Mirror image for the other webbing. The webbings do not hang from my neck, therefore, no neck strain. There are no adjustments - I ensured correct fit when I made it.

The velcro-d flap of the pouch tended to pop open at inappropriate times such as when I was bending over, permitting ejection of contents onto the ground, so I used a couple more textile rivets and a small nylon buckle to rig a secure closure for the flap.

This is the name of the pouch that I bought on Amazon:
"Hengwin Nylon Smartphone Holster Fit for iPhone 15 14 13 12Pro Max 11 XR 8 7 6 Plus Belt Clip Loop Case Cell Phone Pouch Samsung Galaxy A15 Note 9 8 S24 S23 S20 Ultra S9 S8 Plus Holder Men Belt Bag".

Textile rivets are also available on Amazon and one seller calls them:
"Nivofu 100 Sets Leather Rivets,Double Cap Rivet Tubular,Metal Round Button Studs,Flat Head Rivets Kit, for Leather DIY Craft Handbag Clothes Shoes Jewelry Accessories"
They are available from several sellers and come in several colours and lengths.
To install the rivets I just push an ice pick through the layers of textiles to push the fibres aside, thus making a through-hole (I do not use a hole punch), then push rivet through the hole, apply cap to rivet, place on anvil, strike once quite sharply with a hammer, and the job is done. It is fast.

The flap-securing buckle is just a 1 cm wide small nylon buckle.

Making this little front-pack took me less than 10 minutes.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

3) is lightweight

Thanks!
As I said before think about one of those wrist strap things (about $5 on ebay) - nice thing is you can view it with both hands still free (eg for walking poles) and as Tincat says it stay WITH you all the time.

3) is lightweight

Thanks!
I recently completed over 1000 miles with Osprey Exos 48 pack (with the brain removed). I used the “Osprey Pack Pocket” which I strapped to the left shoulder strap (it uses 2 wide Velcro straps plus a metal hook at the top which attaches to the shoulder straps. You can alternatively use it horizontally on the waist belt) carried iPhone 13 Pro Max - very convenient. Yes I could fit the phone into the hip pocket but that was more fiddly to access. Enjoy your trip.

I solved this today.

I went to the shop of my past "running equipment pusher" :), a little but superfriendly shop nearby and, together with a couple of rubber tips for my trekking pole and some fantastic Hoka ORA Recovery (much lighter and comfortable than traditional flip-flop)...

1723644799138.png

...I got this small custom pocket, where my phone (and also the backup battery), fit perfectly:

1723644769534.png

1723645643642.png

Light, nice and fitting perfectly with the backpack straps. And I got it for free!!!

When I carry a GPS, I use a small pouch (berghaus at present, but I have used others) which clips onto a cheststrap or the like. For my phone I use a waterproof pouch with a neckstrap. The neck strap generally goes under my pack cheststrap to stop the pouch and phone swinging around, or I slip it under my shirt. I understand that your GPS locater needs as clear a path to the sky as possible to send its messages. I think something like this might work if you leave the antenna poking out of the top of the pouch. It won't be quite so secure, but that's the trade-off I see you would have to make with this approach.
If you have a Garmin like that you can get a "clothes peg" clip that will fasten it to a belt or shoulder strap:

1723925641334.png

My eTrex 20 has survived many a dunking on the kayak so I wouldn't worry about rain.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

3) is lightweight

Thanks!
I keep my phone in a shirt pocket. I’ve always been puzzled why so many people want to sit on a breakable phone. I put mine in a case that allegedly makes it unbreakable, but still, having a big lump on one side of my butt when I sit down?
In spite of the case, I’ve trained myself to put a hand on the shirt pocket when I bend over far enough for it to fall out.
When I had a separate GPS device, it stayed clipped to my belt.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

3) is lightweight

Thanks!
I tried this for my last camino, it worked out great.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.