• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Period to walk the Podensies

Casper1

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello,

I'm planning to walk the Camino Podensies, beginning in Le Puy en Velay, in the spring of 2025. Of course, the weather is unpredictable, but we hope to begin when the likelihood of snow is minimal. We also hope to avoid the biggest Easter crowds. We're thinking of beginning around 6 May. Does that seem like a reasonable time to avoid significant snow? Is at a good time to walk? Thanks for advice!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
It could be a good idea because in May the snow fall should be past, and the school holidays ends on the 5th May.
However, you will probably have to book on the 8-9-10-11 May (because the 8 is holiday), and probably also the 29-30-31 May and 1 June (because the 29 is Ascension Thursday).
Do you know about the french concept of "bridge" ("pont") ?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello,

I'm planning to walk the Camino Podensies, beginning in Le Puy en Velay, in the spring of 2025. Of course, the weather is unpredictable, but we hope to begin when the likelihood of snow is minimal. We also hope to avoid the biggest Easter crowds. We're thinking of beginning around 6 May. Does that seem like a reasonable time to avoid significant snow? Is at a good time to walk? Thanks for advice!
I am planning to walk this route Spring 2025 as well, but will start in Geneva. I plan to leave Le Puy May 3 and finish in SJPDP June 4. So if you start earlier or walk faster I may see you!

I am definitely booking ahead based on everything I’ve read. May is a busy month in France with those “bridged” weekends, as mentioned. Also, I understand many French towns shut down on Sundays and Mondays, so if you don’t have demi pension you’ll need to plan ahead for meals on those days. I’m trying not to worry about that too much and hoping by conferring with my hosts and I can figure out once I’m there. That, plus a can of tuna should help me make it thru

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I walked the Via Podiensis starting June 1st a few years ago as I'd read on the forum that there were no public holidays that month. Not sure if it was true, but my friends and I encountered no festivals nor booked up gites. We winged it day by day with no issues.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In the US we have several three day "bridge" weekends a year, too, as you call them, but rarely four days. Our Thanksgiving always falls on a Thursday and is always four days off, but if you work in any retail sector, good luck; it's known as the busiest shopping of the year. I always avoid the madness.

I walked the Via Podiensis starting June 1st a few years ago as I'd read on the forum that there were no public holidays that month. Not sure if it was true, but my friends and I encountered no festivals nor booked up gites. We winged it day by day with no issues.
I've read that a lot of that area shuts down during August holidays, so what little services there may be, especially in smaller towns, may shut down then, Not sure how true that is, but sounds like something that would be true in many parts of France in August...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
June was perfect. We wanted to go before a lot of heat and finished in late June, going as far as Auvillar. We'd heard there were quite a few holidays in May, plus often slushy snow in parts.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Try not to worry. Every year is different and there are no "weather rules", except that water freezes at 32,°F, and I melt at 75° if walking on an uphill.😅
I know! I've picked my time, I'll just deal with what there is - I don't mind cold, I mostly don't mind rain - but torrential downpours and mud/slush... that's a little harder, but I'll manage!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I'm planning to walk the Camino Podensies, beginning in Le Puy en Velay, in the spring of 2025. Of course, the weather is unpredictable, but we hope to begin when the likelihood of snow...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back