• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paulo Coelho's "The Pilgrimage" to be made into a Netflix movie

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Netflix Brazil are planning to make a film version of Paulo Coelho's book "The Pilgrimage". I've started reading the book several times and never managed more than a few pages before giving up. I wonder if a film version will be more appealing?

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I think the writing style appeals more to the Portuguese than the English-speaking reader, so the translation is probably not all that effective. I've tried it too, and found it pretty hard going.

Thus Netflix Brazil. They will likely have a big audience there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I bought the book at Livreria Lello in Porto. I got it at a discount because the price I paid for entry into the beautiful bookstore was deducted from the price of the book. I finished it. It reminded me of the Carlos Castaneda books I read in my teens more than anything else. It did stretch my suspension of disbelief that it took him a week to get from St Jean to Roncesvalles.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The book came out in 1987. The first yellow arrows were painted in 1984. So they should still have been fresh and bright.... :)
Ok maybe to attain enlightenment we actually need to walk back and forth between SJPdP and Rocesvalles for the first week? I'm pretty sure this could be where I went wrong.

I liked the book alot haha. I couldn't have cared less about some of the "inaccuracies" of the journey.
It reminded me of the Carlos Castaneda books I read in my teens more than anything else.
I too read the Carlos Castaneda books in college and right after college. I loved them and reread them all a few times. Pilgrimage does remind me of those books also. I found answers to some of my doubts before my first camino in Coelho. Like "The Pilgrimage" Castaneda's books came under attack as many felt there was no Don Juan and he probably made most of what was written up in his head. I don't believe alot of the criticism nor would I care. I found alot of wisdom and insight into my life and condition reading both authors.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In April of 2018 I stayed at Refugio Acacio y Orieta in Villoria de la Rioja, between Santo Domingo and Belorado. They have an extensive library of Paulo Coelho’s books in several languages. It was a sunny day, but too cold to sit outside. I and a young American peregrina sat by the fire and read the Alchemist. We then discussed it with our hosts over dinner. It was one of those memorable Camino experiences. I have read a few of his books since, including The Pilgrimage, but I agree that they are sometimes confusing.

Coelho got a lot of credit for lyrics he wrote with well known musicians back in the days of the Brazilian military government.
I tried the Alchemist in Portuguese when I lived in Brazil but found it impenetrable. The English translation certainly didn't help.
The best comment I recall was from a Brazilian journalist when Coelho's works were banned in Iran - That's one thing the Ayatollah got right!

I actually read it twice! The first time I did not like it at all (partly due to that week in the Pyrenees, lol). Then I read the Alchemist, which I liked quite a bit. So I thought I should give the Pilgrimage another go. Still not a big fan of that one.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Netflix Brazil are planning to make a film version of Paulo Coelho's book "The Pilgrimage". I've started reading the book several times and never managed more than a few pages before giving up. I wonder if a film version will be more appealing?

I think that there are enough people on the Camino without this book making more people wanting to walk the route.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I liked The Alchemist, but not The Pilgrimage.
His book Hippie is more real world (if the '70s were real).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Perhaps they should make a film of the Shirley MacLaine book too and show them as a double feature....
Excellent idea to include a film of Shirley MacLaine's Camino book too. Maybe that would have the reverse effect that The Way had.

Last edited:
Maybe there were no arrows 🤣
Yes, there were no arrows, but actually he spent the week wandering with his Shaman in the Pyrenees and eating magic mushrooms. Easy read, but pretty far out. Shirley's journey was also quite fantastical, although she did not consume a similar quantity of fungi. I did enjoy Jack Hitt's book, though.

I liked the book alot haha. I couldn't have cared less about some of the "inaccuracies" of the journey.

I too read the Carlos Castaneda books in college and right after college. I loved them and reread them all a few times. Pilgrimage does remind me of those books also. I found answers to some of my doubts before my first camino in Coelho. Like "The Pilgrimage" Castaneda's books came under attack as many felt there was no Don Juan and he probably made most of what was written up in his head. I don't believe alot of the criticism nor would I care. I found alot of wisdom and insight into my life and condition reading both authors.
I guess that I am a bit in the minority,but I have all of Coehlo's books and enjoyed them very much. Carlos Castaneda speaks of a reality that is very different from our ordinary reality,which is maybe why it is so strange to so many.

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
I've also read both of the Coelho books mentioned but quite a while before I actually knew anything about the Camino as we all know it. I read them as purely fiction and did not, and still don't, think that they are in any way comparable to my experiences of the Camino. I think that sadly, over the years , folk read way too much into some of these books, especially The Pilgrimage and, like the movie The Way, they have taken on a whole new life and meaning - Shirley McCleans book included, not to mention Many of the myriad of recently published stories which thevCamino has spawned. Off my "high horse" now and back to enjoying my latest book about a different subject entirely. :) :)

Donald duck on the Camino might be fun!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What is it about the writing of Mr. Coelho that makes the reading of it difficult or unrewarding?
I really enjoyed the Alquimist. But I found The Pilgrim just “weird”. And I’m saying this as a former student of Latin American realismo mágico… Like was the sword really that important? Perhaps some of those newly-legal ~special~ candies would help one really get into it? I didn’t like the book, but I couldn’t stop reading it, or thinking about it when I finished it, so maybe that was the author’s intention! I would be interested to see how it all translates to film.

I read The Alchemist for my book club years ago, and swore that I'd never read a Coelho book again.
I read The Alchemist right about the time when I got "The Camino Call". In that sense, I immersed myself into the whole mystical, magical setting and the fact that the kid's name was Santiago only added to it.
I was sure that it all pointed to the fact that "I had to go" and at one point almost(!) believed that My Way will be lit by the stars at night and rainbow during the day and the rainbow would end in SdC where a leprechaun with a pot'o gold will be waiting for me in The St James' Crypt...... :rolleyes:
...and then I read The Pilgrimage.....:oops:
Thankfully I still went :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Coincidentally, I had recently been looking for the meaning of Coelho's black dog and found the following.

Along The Road To Individuation
Aug 28, 2014
The Pilgrimage, written by Paulo Coelho, is an autobiographical mystical, poetic description of his experience walking to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. The road to San Tiago (St. James’ remains) also referred to as “the road of the common people” has drawn travelers from all over the world since the time of Christ. Paulo is on a quest to attain his sword in order to complete his training as a master of “The Tradition”. His guide on the walk is Petrus, who is already a master in “The Tradition”. Petrus demands Paulo complete many difficult exercises along the way to ready him to be worthy to receive the sword, but alas when the swords are given out to the most worthy pilgrims, Paulo does not get his. With no explanation, Petrus leaves him to finish the walk on his own. Paulo did everything his master asked of him and does not understand what more needs to be done to get his sword. Paulo’s main purpose on this pilgrimage is to complete his task of obtaining the sword. His guide helps prepare him to achieve his goal but this external direction is not enough. Once Paulo is left by his guide, he has to turn to his own inner resources. Embracing Petrus’ guidance, Paulo starts to trust his own inner wisdom, the God which had been sleeping within him, starts to awaken. He shifts his focus from getting the sword and finishing his journey to understanding how he might use the sword. The infinite purposes of the sword will be revealed to him throughout the rest of his life.
History is full of stories like this one, where the hero or heroine departs on a journey filled with trials and tribulations, in order to fulfill their destiny. The Holy Grail, The Odyssey, and more currently The Wizard of Oz and Star Wars are all timeless initiation stories. These classic myths come from disparate times and regions but all have the same basic pattern. Carl Jung saw this universal theme of the hero’s journey as a psychological path to individuation, or more simply, the process by which we struggle to become individuals. Often when we are facing a difficult situation, our search will take us through three stages. The first stage is called separation, in which our ambivalence about staying with what we have always known is challenged by our need to grow. In The Pilgrimage, Paulo’s challenge is to obtain the sword, but he must leave his home and work and go to a place he has never been before to achieve his goal. Often this is when people start therapy. The second stage of this journey is the initiation in which we are subject to the trials and tribulations necessary to get where we are going. Several times Paulo meets a black dog on the path to Santiago and each time there is a brutal confrontation. The first fight results in the dog running off, the second is a stand- off and the third Paulo is mauled by the dog. The dog symbolically represents Paulo’s shadow. When we are besieged by those parts of ourselves that are dark and foreboding, we will often respond by “running these parts off”. In order to face these parts of ourselves, often it is helpful to have a guide like Petrus or a therapist. With the help of his guide, Paulo was able to face the symbolic black dog. He then felt mauled by those aspects of his personality that were hidden. The final stage of the individuation process is the return. When Paulo was able to transcend his ego by facing himself as he is rather than an idealized version of himself, he returned home and would become the next master for a new pilgrim on the path. Only when we face our own demons, can we find the freedom to live and the wisdom to teach others.

The Pilgrimage, written by Paulo Coelho, is an autobiographical mystical, poetic description of his experience walking to Santiago de Compostela in Spain.

Oh, yeah?! I want to drink what he drank and smoke what he smoked (as long as its not banana peels - been there done that and had enough of THAT "myth"). Then perhaps (see my previous post) I WILL encounter the SdC Leprechaun . (Wait... maybe the SdC Leprechaun is the "Shadow Pilgrim".... :oops: )

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I read this book (finished it) and it planted in my mind the question…. Could I walk 800 km along a road trod by thousands before me in search of… (struggling as a lapsed catholic)
About 5 years later, at a juncture in my life when decisions had to be made, I said to myself…why not walk the Camino and give yourself the time to think…
About 7 various Caminos to SDC later….and when people ask “why do you keep going back”… I explain it is my “it takes me out of my comfort zone… it is my walking meditation” … it is unexplainable, however people seem to understand comfort zones and meditation… I thank Paulo for lighting the flame.

I read them as purely fiction and did not, and still don't, think that they are in any way comparable to my experiences of the Camino. I think that sadly, over the years , folk read way too much into some of these books, especially The Pilgrimage and, like the movie The Way, they have taken on a whole new life and meaning - Shirley McCleans book included
You are making a valid point. I am sometimes still surprised about the passionate negative reactions to what I, too, regard as works of fiction inspired by personal experience. Why is that so? Are people afraid that readers may believe every word and take it as fact? That these semi-autobiographical literary works were written with the aim of providing practical guidebooks and as an accurate reflection of the actual physical walking?

I just wonder. The title of Coelho's book has been translated as Pilgrimage into English but he wrote in Portuguese and the original title is O Diario de um Mago - the diary of a mage or a wizard, of someone who practices magic. Isn't that already a strong hint as to the intention and content of the book?

I've not read the book but had a look at the first few pages in Kindle as well as some of the descriptions that can be found online. While some do describe it as an autobiographical account of Coelho's walk in Spain - perhaps those who wrote this did not read the book either - the majority does describe it as a novel or a parable and not as your typical "How I walked the Camino" book.

BTW, judging by the first few pages I saw, the book is either badly researched in parts or badly translated in parts. Just one quote: As a result, the Road to Santiago was gradually forgotten, and were it not for sporadic artistic manifestations - in paintings such as Buñuel's The Milky Way and Joan Manuel Serrat's Wanderer - no one today would remember that millions of the people who would one day settle the New World had passed along that route. 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫. Paintings??? Buñuel made a movie that is not exactly a factual account of the pilgrimage to Santiago, and the Wanderer must be the famous Spanish poem about the caminante who makes the camino by walking which became also a widely known song and is not related to any Camino pilgrimage but often quoted nowadays in this context. So a movie and a poem/song but definitely not paintings unless it is meant to be paintings in the most lyrical meaning as virtual images of something.

BTW, I understand that the author himself - unlike his fictional alter ego - started walking in Puente la Reina. Whether he did or did not ... so what if the fictional character errs around for a week in the Pyrenees?

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
To be fair it does feel like it

I bought the book at Livreria Lello in Porto. I got it at a discount because the price I paid for entry into the beautiful bookstore was deducted from the price of the book. I finished it. It reminded me of the Carlos Castaneda books I read in my teens more than anything else. It did stretch my suspension of disbelief that it took him a week to get from St Jean to Roncesvalles.

This was the book that inspired me to walk the Camino. I enjoyed Coelho’s esoteric/mystic style of writing and look forward to the film version, although I am curious to see how it will translate to film.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Contrary to most here, I’ve read all his books and am an aficionado. I read both the Alchemist & The Pilgrimage before even learning about or walking my first Camino.

You are making a valid point. I am sometimes still surprised about the passionate negative reactions to what I, too, regard as works of fiction inspired by personal experience. Why is that so? Are people afraid that readers may believe every word and take it as fact? That these semi-autobiographical literary works were written with the aim of providing practical guidebooks and as an accurate reflection of the actual physical walking?

I just wonder. The title of Coelho's book has been translated as Pilgrimage into English but he wrote in Portuguese and the original title is O Diario de um Mago - the diary of a mage or a wizard, of someone who practices magic. Isn't that already a strong hint as to the intention and content of the book?

I've not read the book but had a look at the first few pages in Kindle as well as some of the descriptions that can be found online. While some do describe it as an autobiographical account of Coelho's walk in Spain - perhaps those who wrote this did not read the book either - the majority does describe it as a novel or a parable and not as your typical "How I walked the Camino" book.

BTW, judging by the first few pages I saw, the book is either badly researched in parts or badly translated in parts. Just one quote: As a result, the Road to Santiago was gradually forgotten, and were it not for sporadic artistic manifestations - in paintings such as Buñuel's The Milky Way and Joan Manuel Serrat's Wanderer - no one today would remember that millions of the people who would one day settle the New World had passed along that route. 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫. Paintings??? Buñuel made a movie that is not exactly a factual account of the pilgrimage to Santiago, and the Wanderer must be the famous Spanish poem about the caminante who makes the camino by walking which became also a widely known song and is not related to any Camino pilgrimage but often quoted nowadays in this context. So a movie and a poem/song but definitely not paintings unless it is meant to be paintings in the most lyrical meaning as virtual images of something.

BTW, I understand that the author himself - unlike his fictional alter ego - started walking in Puente la Reina. Whether he did or did not ... so what if the fictional character errs around for a week in the Pyrenees?
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

I read it but wouldn’t claim to understand it. A film version may help.

€83,-
Wow, thanks for letting me know. I absolutely loved the book. One of my favourites! That book is the reason why I started walking the Camino. The book made me feel called to do it, but secretly maybe I felt I'd experience it exactly the way Paulo did! In a way, it felt like reading Carlos Castaneda taken on a meaningful adventure by Don Juan (another favourite) 😊

I agree with you about the book. Never finished it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Cohelo was one of the four references I had before my first (2005) Camino. Others being McLaine, Lee Hoinacki (most useful), and Tim Moore (most funny and skeptical). There wasn't a discoverable forum or youtube in 2005 so resources were limited to my local library and a coworker who walked in 2004. I have always kept a fairly non-judgmental mind, but neither MClaine nor Cohelo fit within my realities. That said, I came away with the thought, '"wow, if there are fellow pilgrims like this, table talk is going to be great!!" It was, but never to the extreme of Cohelo/McLaine experiences. It was lots of partially broken souls looking for answers and a reboot--including me.
They both represent a pilgrim stereotype that I have rarely experienced. The steady commercialization/disneyifcation has likely forced those of extreme spiritual/mystical bent into hiding.
Of course, my all time favorite was "Travels with my Donkey". But I am a fan of Monty Python. Would have loved them to do a Camino Movie!! I did walk the RLS GR70 to finalize my donkey fix--but on foot. I'd already had a miserable family trek in California High Sierras, with a pair of pack donkeys.
I still consider both books a good read for fictional stories of the Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
After reading so many impassioned responses one way or the other regarding the Cohelo book and to a far lesser extent the Castaneda books I had a thought. I wonder how much influence each person's experience has been with psychedelic drugs. My hypothesis is that maybe those who partook in any one or many of the variety of psychedelics would like these books more and maybe even those who really liked Cohelo's Pilgrimage and or Castaneda's Teachings Of Don Juan had more than a few experiences in this realm. More psychedelics = more like/love of these books. Obviously the inverse would be no psychedelics = no like. Of course this is not a hard and fast hypothesis but I wonder if it could be true. Me I really, really liked the Pilgrimage and LOVED Castaneda's writing. So maybe you can figure out what I have done in my long distant past! haha

After reading so many impassioned responses one way or the other regarding the Cohelo book and to a far lesser extent the Castaneda books I had a thought. I wonder how much influence each person's experience has been with psychedelic drugs. My hypothesis is that maybe those who partook in any one or many of the variety of psychedelics would like these books more and maybe even those who really liked Cohelo's Pilgrimage and or Castaneda's Teachings Of Don Juan had more than a few experiences in this realm. More psychedelics = more like/love of these books. Obviously the inverse would be no psychedelics = no like. Of course this is not a hard and fast hypothesis but I wonder if it could be true. Me I really, really liked the Pilgrimage and LOVED Castaneda's writing. So maybe you can figure out what I have done in my long distant past! haha
Nope!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Discomfort around self-proclaimed spiritual gurus? I liked The Alchemist, very much, as an allegory. I also enjoyed The Pilgrimage, but less so. There were moments that gave pause. (Spanish girl at a cafe...his thoughts...those of his guru's.) Coelho's latter books deepened that feeling of discomfort, personally, but to be fair it is not him alone, it's a general feeling of not wanting to be naive, so his books, while valuable, seem dated/dangerous in certain ways now. That said, I would watch this movie just to know.

€83,-
I am an avid reader and I like Coelho's work but I could never get into "The Pilgrimage" and I have read and enjoyed every Camino book that I could ever get my hands on. I would love to see Andrew McCarthy's book "Walking with Sam" made into a film or limited series. I was touched, moved, and inspired by the book "I'll Push You" by Patrick Gray and Justin Skeesuck. But Coelho's book was just too weird and I couldn't get engaged and I tried several times. I was so glad when I finished it because I couldn't' stand one more page.

That's one of my all time favorite books. It's one of the books that inspired me to walk the Camino. I have read it at least four times. I just couldn't begin to imagine a movie capturing the magic of the book. Also I would believe if it is made in Brazil it would be in Portuguese. I would watch it though if I could with hopes it would even be close to the book.

Perhaps they should make a film of the Shirley MacLaine book too and show them as a double feature....
Shirley macLaine's Camino book and Paulo Coehlo's books were the two that led me to walk the Camino. Both of them captivated for me the spirituality and faith of those that walked before me. I cherish both books. Shirley macLaine's passage about walking barefoot to feel the energy of those that have walked before her on this earth magnetic line under stars to Santiago just captivated me, leading me at the hardest points to imagine those before walking in poverty and pain for their spiritual quest, being led on faith. I didn't enjoys Shirley's book though when she got into dreams and past Life lovers etc was out there, but the first part I loved. To each their own though. My favorite times on the Camino were the totally alone times especially under the sky exploding with stars and the moon pre dawn my alone time and conversation with God. My walk was a spiritual quest and it was amazing for me

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I bumped into Coehlo in Puenta La Reina in 2001 or, more accurately, he roughly shoved me and another couple of pilgrims out of his way so he could lead a Korean TV crew into a church.
Seemed just the kind of person you'd want to avoid anywhere let alone on the Camino.

Great book!! Realy great.

I knew what I was getting into going in, considering it from the start a work of science fiction. On that basis, I finished it. I attributed the hard slog getting through it the result of poor translation. Don't expect any better if the Netflix production is in Portuguese.

It's a joy when someone who truly is not just bilingual, but educated reading/writing bilingual. Among my all time favorite books are those by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Masterpieces translated exquisitely. If you've never read The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, it's hard to put down, especially if you've ever been to Barcelona. As you're reading, you feel yourself walking those streets.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey everyone… I just want to check with you about a very strange situation I just had… or there is an explanation for that… It was 11:15 am (10 min ago) and I was at La Portela de Vlacarce. Small...
As I walked today, I came across a Wild Boar that had been, shot, gutted and hind quarters removed. It seemed a shame it was left there right on the Camino as I am sure it would disturb some...
Hi, this might be a strange question but just wandering how much cash should you bring with you on the Camino?? Thanks
Hi all, probably a question with many different answers, but here goes. I've done several Caminos, but always ones that feature a cafe every now and then ( think Frances, Portuguese, Ingles etc)...
I much prefer ordering agua del grifo (tap water) both to save money and plastic, and everything else that goes into the production and delivery of bottled water. The last couple of nights in...
Fellow pilgrims. As an avid walker of various Caminos, I am always fascinated in the experiences of other pilgrims/tourists, and how their planning and experience on pilgrimage was shaped. As an...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back