• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack for Camino Frances

lsg

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug 2024 - Camino Frances
Hi everyone, would appreciate feedback for my pack. Will be walking the Camino Frances starting 21st Aug 2024.
Details here: https://lighterpack.com/r/n0xqyk

While compiling this, I learnt that my shoes are lighter than my sandals. No, I don't understand this either.

Note on the umbrella: I get overheated very easily so find the sleeveless shirt and umbrella combination the most comfortable option. I live in Singapore. From experience, I know I cannot do >30 deg c in long sleeves.

Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not a bad list.
Maybe a bit many sleeveless tops. Maybe take something with long sleeves, like a shirt. I like that better in heat (but i burn easily). Also i count 4 peaces of legwear, while 2 have always been enough for me.
The toiletry kit seems a bit heavy, i run around 400g for that (yeah, guys need less... but still). I also never used a clothesline. The therapy ball could be lighter. Never missed a torch. Theres lighter foldable daypacks (Decathlon 10L works for me). Not to big a fan of carrying physical books. You seem to be missing electronics like phone and charger. Edit: also not sure if medication includes first aid.
Attached you find my list of this year and in my signature that of 2022, feel free to compare.
(btw: thanks for using lighterpack. makes it a lot easier to analyse the list.)

1721645730250.png

Hi everyone, would appreciate feedback for my pack. Will be walking the Camino Frances starting 21st Aug 2024.

While compiling this, I learnt that my shoes are lighter than my sandals. No, I don't understand this either.

Note on the umbrella: I get overheated very easily so find the sleeveless shirt and umbrella combination the most comfortable option. I live in Singapore. From experience, I know I cannot do >30 deg c in long sleeves.

Thanks!
You must be expecting rain also no Compeed or blister pack.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Not a bad list.
Maybe a bit many sleeveless tops. Maybe take something with long sleeves, like a shirt. I like that better in heat (but i burn easily). Also i count 4 peaces of legwear, while 2 have always been enough for me.
The toiletry kit seems a bit heavy, i run around 400g for that (yeah, guys need less... but still). I also never used a clothesline. The therapy ball could be lighter. Never missed a torch. Theres lighter foldable daypacks (Decathlon 10L works for me). Not to big a fan of carrying physical books. You seem to be missing electronics like phone and charger. Edit: also not sure if medication includes first aid.
Attached you find my list of this year and in my signature that of 2022, feel free to compare.
(btw: thanks for using lighterpack. makes it a lot easier to analyse the list.)

View attachment 175087
Please don't take this the wrong way but ever bleed through your pants? I have. Hence extra legwear. 😬

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
By my calculations, you’ve put together a 13.25 pound kit. WELL DONE! I think you’ll really appreciate this light weight particularly on tough days.

My only comment on this thread is that I’m not a fan of Compeed. There are quite a few posts in this Forum regarding blister care. My preference is simple pharmaceutical paper tape. Foot care is so important for this 800 km journey. Take the time to read about what others have written about taking care of their feet and in particular blisters.

Thanks!
Compeed and you double up on a few things lots for rain

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Walked in August many times of course you can get rain but not a lot normally, there "I have jinxed it for you"
Compeed is an instant cure for blisters hardened walkers burst blisters and use needle and thread to drain area, but you must keep it clean at all costs err on caution, sticking plaster is just what it say on label a "Sticking" plaster solution.
Each to their own take care and enjoy.
Buen Camino.

August outside O'Cebriero it was cold and damp just to prove me wrong.

Attachments

• VID_20190701_105642.mp4
    49.2 MB
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
By my calculations, you’ve put together a 13.25 pound kit. WELL DONE! I think you’ll really appreciate this light weight particularly on tough days.

My only comment on this thread is that I’m not a fan of Compeed. There are quite a few posts in this Forum regarding blister care. My preference is simple pharmaceutical paper tape. Foot care is so important for this 800 km journey. Take the time to read about what others have written about taking care of their feet and in particular blisters.
Is there anything I can do to make it lighter? Honestly this started out as a list of negotiable items. There are some non-negotiables I've excluded.

Is there anything I can do to make it lighter? Honestly this started out as a list of negotiable items. There are some non-negotiables I've excluded.
It's always hard to assess how important something is to someone else.

You have liquid soap and bar soap...do you need both?

Could you have a digital version of the Bible on your phone? Even a Kindle would be lighter than your copy. You have to judge the value to you vs the weight here. (I use a Kindle app on my phone.)

Do you need a water filter? I have never had a problem using the Spanish tap water, maybe you are more sensitive.

Do you need a clothesline? Albergues always have some means of hanging your clothes to dry. Private rooms often have a wardrobe with hangers. They also give you proper towels so you can roll your wet items and wring out the excess moisture, very handy.

You have done well with your list. Have you practiced packing and how it feels when packed? Tweaking how you pack can make a lot of difference to comfort and balance. Think carefully about where you place items. Try walking with it packed if you can. Can you imagine living out of your pack....does it work for you? To be honest it is likely to become second nature quite quickly once you're on the Camino :)

Does the list include what you will be wearing?
If not, I think that you can add a pair of underwear. I always bring 3, along with 3 pairs of socks. If one goes missing you aren't left with only one.

I bring a bar shampoo that I use to wash hair, body, and face.

Do you really need an electric shaver?

You have four pairs of pants/bottoms altogether. Even if you have an emergency you only need three.

And there is no need for a water filter in Spain unless you are planning to drink water from creeks, which is also unnecessary.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thanks!
Your list makes my little slightly-OCD heart go pitter-patter. ;-)

I too have a spreadsheet, and my total packed weight (excluding the pack, of course!) is 13.08 pounds or 5.93 kg. The pack itself isn't an ultralight, but it's completely waterproof which means I don't have to bring a pack cover or an internal full-size liner or dry bag.

Since I'm traveling in a "shoulder season" (summer fading into fall), bringing extra clothing for inclement weather pushes the weight up more than I'd like, but . . .

And I second what some others have said about Compeed — it's okay, but I'd rather stick with moleskin (my preference). I'm really much more focused on prevention.

I'm also carrying an electric shaver, but it's a travel-type foil cutter which I've tested previously on a three-week trip, and it works just fine for less than half the weight of my other electric. I don't get good shaves with safety or disposable razors, and I've tried the "just grow your beard out" option before — too itchy!

Your list makes my little slightly-OCD heart go pitter-patter. ;-)

I too have a spreadsheet, and my total packed weight (excluding the pack, of course!) is 13.08 pounds or 5.93 kg. The pack itself isn't an ultralight, but it's completely waterproof which means I don't have to bring a pack cover or an internal full-size liner or dry bag.

Since I'm traveling in a "shoulder season" (summer fading into fall), bringing extra clothing for inclement weather pushes the weight up more than I'd like, but . . .

And I second what some others have said about Compeed — it's okay, but I'd rather stick with moleskin (my preference). I'm really much more focused on prevention.

I'm also carrying an electric shaver, but it's a travel-type foil cutter which I've tested previously on a three-week trip, and it works just fine for less than half the weight of my other electric. I don't get good shaves with safety or disposable razors, and I've tried the "just grow your beard out" option before — too itchy!
"too itchy" is completely correct.

Does the list include what you will be wearing?
If not, I think that you can add a pair of underwear. I always bring 3, along with 3 pairs of socks. If one goes missing you aren't left with only one.

I bring a bar shampoo that I use to wash hair, body, and face.

Do you really need an electric shaver?

You have four pairs of pants/bottoms altogether. Even if you have an emergency you only need three.

And there is no need for a water filter in Spain unless you are planning to drink water from creeks, which is also unnecessary.
I have previously fallen sick from drinking bottled water in Vietnam so I think a filter will be needed if the water is coming from a public tap.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Electric razor can that be lighter?
3 sleeveless tops, 1 sweater, maybe lose 1 sleeveless and have an inbetween with short or longer sleeves
1 plastic poncho
Lighter 2nd bra
1 pair biking tights, maybe something knee length if you want 4 bottoms
BUT I take a silk or very light scarf/ sarron/towel/ blanket/ sunscreen /bunk bed curtain...you get the idea. Also bits can be ripped off to repair stuff, like straps
Not sure you'll need a wp jacket since you have a poncho and umbrella
Also not sure what linen socks are for, you're better with 3 pairs walking socks @trecile
Just 1 laundry soap bar, if you must, easier to use your normal soap and easy to buy more. Citronella?
Is your sunglasses case a fabric bag?
No need for water filters and bottles. Bottled water cheap in spain and also you can ask cafes to fill up Yr bottle
3 carabiner? Better to take the velcro cable ties
No need for cutlery,
And you probably have a torch on your phone although I carry an ultra light set of fairy lights which give an ambient light in bunk, and when worn on my head on busy roads in dusky early mornings make people think I'm an angel

Having said all that you have a brilliant weight

Thanks for the interesting discussion, but looking at the packing lists above, it looks like you did not include any water or food.

Is this because the amount will change every day (and during the walk) or because most of you will be relying on "local" resources?

My first planned "camino" (9 days, 160 km) includes a stage in relatively remote regions (mild weather) and I considered at least 3 liters of water/energy drinks, 500 g of food and another 150 of energy snack (carbo/protein). There are not very many springs on my camino and most of them maybe dry or not drinkable.

The total weight of the backpack rise to almost 10 kg when I start the day.

Last edited:
Thanks for the interesting discussion, but looking at the packing lists above, it looks like you did not include any water or food.

Is this because the amount will change every day (and during the walk) or because most of you will be relying on "local" resources
Yes. "Base weight" includes the items that don't vary day to day. Water and food is not included.
This thread is about a backpack for the Camino Francés where it's usually not necessary to carry a lot of water or food because both are widely available en route.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all, starting next week for 4 days of walking & a day of relaxation either side.

My packing;
- 3 x sports tops
- 1 x quarter zip
- 3 x lined sports shorts
- 3 x light hiking socks

- adidas terrex hiking shoes
- lightweight running cap
- Birkenstocks
- microfibre towel
- packable raincoat
- small first aid kit (compeed, plasters, anti-friction)
- small toiletry bag
- adapter / phone charger

Plus another T-shirt and shorts for evenings / flights

Overkill or about right?

Hi all, starting next week for 4 days of walking & a day of relaxation either side.

My packing;
- 3 x sports tops
- 1 x quarter zip
- 3 x light hiking socks

- Birkenstocks
- microfibre towel
- packable raincoat
- small toiletry bag

Overkill or about right?
Are you sleeping in albergues? You might want a sleeping bag liner.

My packing;
- 3 x sports tops
- 1 x quarter zip
- 3 x light hiking socks

- Birkenstocks
- microfibre towel
- packable raincoat
- small toiletry bag

Overkill or about right?
Overkill. You are bringing four tops and four bottoms. You will only wear one at a time. You really only need two of each.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Bose headphones caught my eye. I personally love them for the long flights (great for drowning out the airplane noise), but not sure that I'd want to carry them in my pack for 800 km. Ear buds are a great, light weight alternative. The head phones could be something that you put in a box at your starting point and ship to Ivar. Maybe do the same with some of those clothes that you may not need on the Way.

Nice website app. Interesting way to visualize your pack weight by category. I may try it out myself!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

For the past six years, I have used a 33 L Osprey backpack, which has been fine, but it is always fully packed. I thoroughly understand that nature abhors a vacuum, so any available space in a bag...
Hi all The time is finally nearly here. On Sept 15th I'll be arriving in SJPDP to start the Camino. At the moment, the only thing I have to sleep in is a liner. Now that's it's getting a bit...
Hey everyone. My wife and I are flying next Saturday and starting the Ingles on Tuesday. We think we've got everything we need. I'm posting this here to see if there are any glaring mistakes in...
Hello, We are planning on doing the Porto coastal route in the next week or two. We are flying from the west coast in the US. I've read many threads on phone service. There was one really great...
Good evening fellow pilgrims. I've been searching for an embroidered patch of a Camino symbol to add to my hat. Just looking for either a simply scallop shell or arrow only without any writing ...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back