Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ourense Thermal Baths - worth a visit?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
I hadn't realised there are thermal baths in Ourense.
Looks like a few different ones.

Are they worth a visit?

Also, do you need to bring your own swimsuit?

I carted swimming trunks all the way along the VdlP last year only to find at the Roman Baths in Aljucen they provide them!

A great place to visit by the way.........

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I don't particularly like swimming, but I knew my kids would enjoy the baths so we went. There are changing sheds there and yes, I believe you need to take your own bathing suit (at least, we did). It was actually a pleasant wee trip and soaking in the baths was lovely. Make sure you rinse off under the shower before entering or you'll be told off!

Are they worth a visit?

I carted swimming trunks all the way along the VdlP last year only to find at the Roman Baths in Aljucen they provide them!

There are free thermale Baths, wherr you have to bring a swimsuit. In the ones where you have to pay you can rent swimsuits.

I'm embarrassed to say that I have been in Ourense now three times and have yet to visit the thermal baths. Maybe because I've always been in Ourense in the summer? Last July it was 35 degrees when I arrived so I spent the afternoon wandering around the city and in and out of stores with airconditioning!

Wondering what the weather might be like late September early October........

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I know of a mother and daughter team that hit the Querense baths after they finish their Frances in summer of 23.
They liked it a lot and told me that it was a nice relaxing way to finish off the intensity of The Walk

It was drizzling, and gray when I was in Ourense, so I didn't bother checking them out although I had planned to. I was a bit disappointed, but have already experienced them a couple of times in the US in the Rocky Mountains.

In some forum post it was stated that in some (most?) swimming pools you needed speedo type suits and short types were prohibited. Maybe someone can comment on that here.
I read the same thing when I researched the thermal baths. I thought it rather strange as most men shouldn't wear Speedos.😏

In some forum post it was stated that in some (most?) swimming pools you needed speedo type suits and short types were prohibited. Maybe someone can comment on that here.
Certainly the rules in a few countries for hygiene reasons.

I prefer the German way splitting Textile and Textile Frei (swimwear and non swimwear). Very hygienic in the Textile Frei area!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Off topic but I read that people with tattoos are not permitted in thermal/hot water baths in Japan.
Some allow it, some don’t. Was in one in Tokyo recently with no issues (I have 3 tattoos on my legs). I knew in advance they permitted tattoos as it was in reviews. Best to check reviews if you are going to a specific onsen.

Last edited:
Have walked the Plata 3 times, just returnend from my last, was dissappointed I could not make it this time to the great pools! At least the last 2 are free, closest to the bridge, which you have to walk over when taking a bus. You need: swimming trunks, towel, flip flops.

Last fall, around the first of November, we went to the public bath, which is on one end of the row of thermal baths - the others are private and fancier. They sometimes shut down if the river is high, since they are right on the river bank just on the edge of the city, so that is worth checking. When we were there, I think just one private thermal bath was open, along with the municipal bath.

There is a city bus route that takes you near the bridge over the river, then you walk across an old bridge that is now only for pedestrians and cyclists, and then can walk to the thermal baths.

We had a great time. They didn´t have any onerous requirements that I recall. I had brought a pair of light running shorts, and that´s what I wore. My wife brought a lightweight Speedo one-piece swimsuit, but we have a friend who picked up a swimsuit at a thrift store in Ourense instead of carrying one in her pack. The fee was modest, and the setting was very pretty with the steam rising above the bath and the river and forest right beside us. Plus it was neat to think of the Romans bathing in the same area millennia ago. We would do it again.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We took the little "train" (that turned up very very late)...but this was 2016 so it may well be different now
IMG_8686.JPGIMG_8692.JPG

Are they worth a visit?

Yes they are worth it but if you miss them it’s also OK. There are free public pools. However the privately owned thermal baths are amazing. Lots of different pools of different temps and some with spa jets. Cool gentle relaxing music, recommendation to be silent/ meditative, and a place upstairs to eat and drink. You get two hours for a small sum and you can hire swimmers. Do check they are open. I found the two hours were good to help me relax and chill out before the last 100 km to Santiago. Ourense is a nice place for a rest day too - lovely old city and cathedral.
PS I missed taking the little train to the pools as I met a lovely young woman in the Hostal who had her car with her.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
This is on a completely different subject, but over probably 13 weeks of walking various Spanish caminos, we had the best tapas in Ourense. We spent an extra day there walking from Gibraltar to Muxia last fall, and every meal we had in Ourense was extraordinary. I don´t know whether Ourense is especially known for its gastronomy, but that was sure our experience. Great city (and food)!

It's an easy walk from central Ourense to the baths. On the 9 times one of my caminos has finished on the Sanabrés, I loved the warm: the free ones and the private ones. Especially one early December when I enjoyed the free pools entirely on my own while snow was falling quite heavily. Getting out again was less of a pleasure.

It's an easy walk from central Ourense to the baths. On the 9 times one of my caminos has finished on the Sanabrés, I loved the warm: the free ones and the private ones. Especially one early December when I enjoyed the free pools entirely on my own while snow was falling quite heavily. Getting out again was less of a pleasure.

I got a mental picture like the opening scene of Baraka. :)
Amazing film!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

What follows is my personal view on the last part of the Sanabrés that I started on Wednesday the 4th of September. Tuesday before was used for traveling from Belgium to Ourense. Btw I can advise...
Hello Pilgrims! Getting ready to walk the Via de la Plata starting early November — doing the whole thing from Sevilla and then turning onto the Sanabres to get to Santiago sometime in the second...
I hadn't realised there are thermal baths in Ourense. Looks like a few different ones. Are they worth a visit? Also, do you need to bring your own swimsuit? I carted swimming trunks all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.