Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ourense Thermal Baths - worth a visit?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
I hadn't realised there are thermal baths in Ourense.
Looks like a few different ones.

Are they worth a visit?

Also, do you need to bring your own swimsuit?

I carted swimming trunks all the way along the VdlP last year only to find at the Roman Baths in Aljucen they provide them!

A great place to visit by the way.........

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I'm embarrassed to say that I have been in Ourense now three times and have yet to visit the thermal baths. Maybe because I've always been in Ourense in the summer? Last July it was 35 degrees when I arrived so I spent the afternoon wandering around the city and in and out of stores with airconditioning!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't particularly like swimming, but I knew my kids would enjoy the baths so we went. There are changing sheds there and yes, I believe you need to take your own bathing suit (at least, we did). It was actually a pleasant wee trip and soaking in the baths was lovely. Make sure you rinse off under the shower before entering or you'll be told off!

I hadn't realised there are thermal baths in Ourense.
Looks like a few different ones.

Are they worth a visit?

Also, do you need to bring your own swimsuit?

I carted swimming trunks all the way along the VdlP last year only to find at the Roman Baths in Aljucen they provide them!

A great place to visit by the way.........
There are free thermale Baths, wherr you have to bring a swimsuit. In the ones where you have to pay you can rent swimsuits.

I'm embarrassed to say that I have been in Ourense now three times and have yet to visit the thermal baths. Maybe because I've always been in Ourense in the summer? Last July it was 35 degrees when I arrived so I spent the afternoon wandering around the city and in and out of stores with airconditioning!

Wondering what the weather might be like late September early October........

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know of a mother and daughter team that hit the Querense baths after they finish their Frances in summer of 23.
They liked it a lot and told me that it was a nice relaxing way to finish off the intensity of The Walk

It was drizzling, and gray when I was in Ourense, so I didn't bother checking them out although I had planned to. I was a bit disappointed, but have already experienced them a couple of times in the US in the Rocky Mountains.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In some forum post it was stated that in some (most?) swimming pools you needed speedo type suits and short types were prohibited. Maybe someone can comment on that here.
I read the same thing when I researched the thermal baths. I thought it rather strange as most men shouldn't wear Speedos.😏

In some forum post it was stated that in some (most?) swimming pools you needed speedo type suits and short types were prohibited. Maybe someone can comment on that here.
Certainly the rules in a few countries for hygiene reasons.

I prefer the German way splitting Textile and Textile Frei (swimwear and non swimwear). Very hygienic in the Textile Frei area!

Last edited:
Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.

Most read last week in this forum

What follows is my personal view on the last part of the Sanabrés that I started on Wednesday the 4th of September. Tuesday before was used for traveling from Belgium to Ourense. Btw I can advise...
Hello Pilgrims! Getting ready to walk the Via de la Plata starting early November — doing the whole thing from Sevilla and then turning onto the Sanabres to get to Santiago sometime in the second...
I hadn't realised there are thermal baths in Ourense. Looks like a few different ones. Are they worth a visit? Also, do you need to bring your own swimsuit? I carted swimming trunks all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.