• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 11.0

Camino Frances
Atapuerca
sculpture

photo taken November 7, 2013

Atapuerca 2013.jpg

This contemporary sculpture symbolically represents a Neanderthal who nearly one million years ago inhabited the Sierra de Atapuerca.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Camino Aragonés. August 30, 2023

Someone ahead of me either didn't notice, or didn't honour the request :)
Ice cold potable water (assured by a local woman passing by) from this lovely fuente next to the Iglesia de la Asunción de Nuestra Señora in Canfrac Pueblo.

IMG_8770.jpeg

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Camino Frances
Burgos
Cathedral de Santa Maria
west facade

photo taken November 8, 2013

Burgos 2013.jpg

Anyone wishing to worship/meditate may freely enter Burgos cathedral through the sw door beneath the pointed arch furthest to the right in this view. Within the vast complex free access is limited; a fee is charged to visit the cathedral/museum.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Camino Frances
Burgos
Cathedral de Santa Maria

photos taken February 24, 2007

Matamoros, from afar.jpg

A camera lens can isolate the Matamoros or Moor Slayer although the vast scene covers one wall of the Capilla de San Juan Bautista y Santiago visited as part of the cathedral museum.

Matamoros, in situ.JPG

Camino Frances
Burgos
Cathedral de Santa Maria

photo taken October 20, 2004

Burgos, reliquary.jpg

Within the cathedral museum is this mid 15th c. reliquary. Roughly 30cm. high, clad in vermeil/ gold plate on silver, Saint James wears a pilgrim hat complete with shell atop his precise curls. Sainthood is depicted by the flat halo behind his head. He grips his pilgrim staff and from one shoulder hangs a tiny traveling bag known as a scrip.
...I still fondly recall seeing this exquisite sculpture for the first time in 2004.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino Frances
Burgos
Cathedral de Santa Maria
interior detail

photo taken November 8, 2012

Burgos, cathedral, detail, 8.11.2012.jpg

This small memento mori features a child/putto holding a skull. The themes of this infantile combo are not playfulness and childhood but life's fleetingness and the universality of death.

Camino Frances
Burgos
Plaza de la Libertad
Casa del Cordón

photo taken February 4, 2008

Casa del Cordón , February 4, 2008.JPG

Heavy ropes/cords carved in stone which surround the main door give this 15th c. palace, presently used as a bank/exhibition space, its name. The charming French speaking hospitalera viewed here guided our rest day visit.

Most read last week in this forum

A question for couples of different sexes: do you sleep separately in the albergues? Do you pay more, and/or is it more complicated to book, to sleep in the same dorm (in separate bunk beds, of...
This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back