• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 11.0

Learn proper bathroom protocol on the Camino and share this info with other pilgrims.
Ledigos to Sahagun, Day 62, Via Podiensis/Camino Frances, 13th June 2024.
We were a bit apprehensive about arriving in Sahagun because there’s a week long Festa going on, involving bull runs and all the usual things with Spanish Festas! When we arrived at the Monastery, Albergue de Santa Cruz, where we had stayed in 2022 and really enjoyed participating in the Communal meal, we were very disappointed this time to be told there would be no communal meal because of the Festa and the shops were all closed!! So, instead we went to a small cafe/bar/restaurant for a late lunch, which is mentioned in Brierley’s guide, which we had visited on our way through Sahagun in 2014 on our first Camino, which we had noticed was open and had a Menu del Peregrino, it was delicious.
We didn’t need dinner later. We didn’t sleep much because of the noise, loud music and beating drums that went on until nearly 02.00hrs.
We had a beautiful day walking to Sahagun, the weather was perfect. The storks greeted us on our arrival.
IMG_8927.jpeg

Sahagun to El Burgo Ranero, Day 63, Via Podiensis/Camino Frances, 14th, June, 2024.
Didn’t sleep much last night, so after a quick breakfast we were on our way, another great day for walking, perfect weather, along the tree lined path, beside a very quiet road, all the way to El Burgo. We have previously walked the Roman road twice, so it was our first visit to El Burgo. We saw between 10 or 20 small rodents, possibly voles, running across and at the side of the path and one yellow/green lizard about a foot long run across the path. The countryside continues to look amazing.
We saw a couple of Guardia Civil vehicles and one of their helicopters flew over this morning. It is wonderful how attentive they are to the Camino.
IMG_8945.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
April 28, 2024 Camino Sanabres, Ourense to Oseira, day 13
Eager to leave Ourense behind me, I took a bus to Cea and walked from there to Oseira along peaceful woodland trails to this high point with the monastery (in the centre of the photo) visible in the valley below.

6D4D23B5-E72D-47C5-85C4-D2D9E547F79E.jpeg

Villamayor de Monjardin
Iglesia de San Andrés Apóstol
capital detail

photo taken October 26, 2013

San Andrés Apóstol, capital.jpg

This Romanesque capital which depicts fighting knights represents Charlemagne and a Navarrese Prince.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
El Burgo Ranero to Mansillas de las Mulas, Day 64, Via Podiensis/Camino Frances, 15th June 2024.
Cooler day, good for walking and eventually warmed up late morning. More of the same as yesterday along the senda by the very quiet road with many seats and small rest areas along the way. Great views of the distant mountains.
IMG_8984.jpeg

Camino Frances
Villamayor de Monjardin

photo taken October 7, 2004

Villamayor de Monjardin, camino 1.JPG

In 2004 at this parish albergue the vivacious hospitelero cooked dinner curbside; we eight pilgrims and he ate beneath the stars. ...It was a great mix of simple food, pilgrim vibes and heartfelt caritas.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
April 28, 2024 Camino Sanabres, Monasterio de Oseira
I’m so glad I took the longer path to Oseira. The albergue is new, well equipped, even with heated floors which eliminate the need for blankets.
There was nowhere nearby to find food, but the very patient hospitalero managed to order restaurant meals for more than a dozen pilgrims to be delivered to the albergue, a task made quite difficult by the fact that a group from Germany on the first day of their Camino neither spoke nor understood any Spanish or English.
The evening tour of the monastery and the opportunity to observe vespers following the tour made this day most memorable.

E6A84BDE-2C19-4EC6-AEAE-58025D9989FB.jpeg 7AD586F8-2384-489F-AB85-2D218CD0A000.jpeg

Mansilla de las Mulas to Leon, Day 65, Via Podiensis/Camino Frances, 16th, June, 2024.
Good walk to Leon this morning. We were very lucky to attend a Choral concert in the Iglesia Santa Maria last night given by the local Choral group from Mansilla with their new Director, it was excellent.
Today the Storks were out in force enjoying a field which was being irrigated.
Two photos today.
We are looking forward to our rest day in Leon tomorrow!
IMG_9018.jpegIMG_9029.jpeg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino Frances
Villamayor de Monjardin
private albergue

photos taken October 26, 2013

Villamayor albergue.jpg

During later caminos I often stayed in a very comfortable private albergue named after the town; each small dorm had a nearby shower/loo.

Villamayor albergue, view.jpg

The view from "my" balcony showed the westward path.

April 29, 2024 Camino Sanabres, Oseira to Lalin
A long walk, with a lot of pavement. After crossing the autopista into Castro Dozon (photo), I walked the rest of the way at the side of the N525, crossing over from the Sanabres to the Invierno in order to stay in Lalin that night.

A7A123A8-4432-4737-A5A7-35E7DCA0E8E2.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Camino Frances
Villamayor de Monjardin

photo taken October 25, 2014

local color.jpg

Asked about lunch possibilities the friendly hospitalero in the then new private albergue offered me this splendid tomato from his father's garden.
...All these years later I remember the delicious taste and his kindness.

Leon to Villadangos del Paramo, Day 67, Via Podiensis/Camino Frances, 18th June 2024.
Heavy rain started overnight and continued light and heavy all the way to a little past La Virgen del Camino this morning. We didn’t leave until 08.0hrs this morning and for the first time when we reached the modern sanctuary of La Virgen del Camino it was open!
IMG_9165.jpegIMG_9168.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Villadangos del Paramo to Villares de Orbigo, Day 68, Via Podiensis/ Camino Frances, 19th June 2024.
After more rain last evening and during the night we awoke to blue sky and had a great day walking to and through Hospital de Orbigo to Villares. Again the views of the mountains were fantastic and they are definitely getting closer!
IMG_9222.jpeg

Murias de Rechivaldo to Rabanal del Camino, Day 70, Via Podiensis/Camino Frances, 21st, June, 2024.
What a beautiful leisurely days walk today, both the weather and scenery were perfect. We passed a young man making and giving fantastic wax sello’s on the way today. Photo of ours attached.
We are looking forward to attending Vespers tonight in the Iglesia de Santa Maria in Rabanal.
IMG_9320.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino Frances
east of Los Arcos

photo taken October 26, 2015

A stranger no more .jpg

This pilgrim who had walked to Santiago was now going east towards southern France and ultimately Rome. After sharing camino confidences and cookies we, strangers no more, shook hands and wished each other Godspeed, Ultreia and Adieu.

Last edited:

€60,-
Cleaning up files and photos, and came across this one.
If I recall correctly, this was taken going down from El Acebo. 2006, July.
I may be mistaken, ready to be informed otherwise. 🤔

View attachment 172781
You are certainly correct. Here’s a similar photo taken a few hours ago, as we entered El Acebo.
IMG_9404.jpeg

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Rabanal del Camino to El Acebo, Day 71, Via Podiensis/Camino Frances, 22nd June 2024.
Cool morning especially at Cruz de Ferro, but the views were still amazing. We seemed to have forgotten how difficult the descent was to El Acebo and we were very glad to arrive safely. We were glad not to be walking on to Molinaseca today as we have done in the past. Age is creeping up on us!
IMG_9373.jpeg

You are certainly correct. Here’s a similar photo taken a few hours ago, as we entered El Acebo.
View attachment 172797
Thank you! Perhaps the two guys we met over breakfast and again on the descent blurred my memory. They hopped, skipped and jumped down, yapping and smoking away!
I am in admiration of your stamina, and wisdom in accepting changed capacities... 🚶‍♀️ 🚶‍♂️

Learn proper bathroom protocol on the Camino and share this info with other pilgrims.
My older son recently toured a museum, and knowing my attraction for El Camino, sent me the photo below, with the question "Do you know who this is?" I immediately replied, "Of course, it's Santiago Matamoros!" What is a little unusual about this museum display however, is the clothing of the Santiago on the right. Based on the clothing, would anyone care to hazard a guess as to where this museum might be located .... how about Merida, Mexico!

IMG-20240606A.jpg

El Acebo to Ponferrada, Day 72, Via Podiensis/Camino Frances, 23rd, June, 2024.
Well the descent to Molinaseca was as bad as yesterday’s descent and in parts worse, but luckily this time we didn’t have to compete with 12 very fast bikes trying to pass us on the worst part nearing Molinaseca, as we did in 2022!
The weather is heating up, into the early 30’s in Ponferrada this afternoon and to continue for at least a few days.
IMG_9438.jpeg
The Camino through Molinaseca.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ponferrada to Villafranca del Bierzo, Day 73, Via Podiensis/Camino Frances, 24th June 2024.
Another hot day on the Camino, especially after midday. We want to walk the Pradela route again so have decided, because of the weather to walk on our rest day tomorrow and only go as far as Trabadelo, then taxi back to Villafranca and then head to Las Herrerias on Wednesday from Trabadelo.
Ermita De San Blas, Columbrianos, with Storks!
IMG_9490.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
More haystacks for @mspath

If I had known how many times I would go through all my photos post Camino I would have taken a proper camera or at the very least and much newer smart phone. A mistake since rectified ( near Los Arcos IIRC )

Attachments

• IMG_4977.JPG
    IMG_4977.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
April 2024 - Santiago de Compostela, church of Saint Francis
In the photo of the altar dedicated to the merciful Sacred Heart, note the tiny white rectangle on the left hand side of the altar. How many times as we pilgrims wandered along the Camino, have we encountered such petitions to Our Lord, his Mother, and his Saints? I pray that these petitions are answered. I am reminded of Matthew's parable of the centurion.

St Francis altar.jpg St Francis petition.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Trabadelo to Las Herrerias, Day 75, Via Podiensis/Camino Frances, 26th, June, 2024.
Short leisurely stroll along the Valcarce valley stopping at Iglesia de San Juan Bautista in La Portela, Iglesia San Pedro in Ambasmestas. We then had some morning tea at the Panaderia at the start of Vega de Valcarce, where we had stopped in 2014 but not in 2022. We are ready for an early walk up to O Cebreiro tomorrow morning and then on to Linares.
Photos from San Juan Bautista in La Portela
IMG_9575.jpegIMG_9578.jpeg

Last edited:
Loving your photos, Anne and Pat, and wishing I had continued onto the Frances when I walked from Le Puy en Velay to SJPP. I had walked the Frances the year before, so it wasn’t in the plan at the time.

Here’s the outside of the Iglesia San Juan Bautista. October 22, 2023.
5E6C3BE6-F78B-4965-9BBC-39C821D01CF1.jpeg

Most read last week in this forum

A short but pleasant article about a pilgrim’s experience on a guided Camino trip. Some nice pics. https://apple.news/A0DsWcRwMRPWU42vxrhl10g
Sign a little west of Pamplona:
Obviously a stamp can be obtained at a refugio, but where else? A list can be obtained of refugio locations, is their a list of locations where stamps can also be obtained? Thanks.
Can anyone tell me if it is worth it to visit the archaeological site near Atapuerca if I do not understand any spanish. I am cycling the camino so the extra few kilometres will not be an issue. I...
Why do they put the kilometer markers where they do, for example 301.1 km, and as 300km was over an hours walk away, are these people messing with my mind
If you have given thought to begin or end your Camino in Barcelona--Tourist taxes and a ban on Short Term Rentals...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back