• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Oldtimers can i pick pick your brains for a sec ?

JoroAtanasof

Time of past OR future Camino
one too many
So since 2018 i compleated Camino Frances/Portuges/Primitivo/Norte . Some of them more than once . It may sounds like a lot (FB) but not in this forum ..... I don't have any plans for 2025 camino and to be honest i dont feel the calling like i used to . However just in case can you recomend some of the other routes ? 2 or 3 weeks time perhaps , April till October ? And yes i have other plans for 2025 like TMB and possibly bikepacking ruta de la plata (i don't think of it as camino/pilgimage though ) .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Mozarabe? Levante? Invierno?
Or are you drawn to something else? Kilamanjaro? Machu Picchu? Everest Base Camp? Trans Siberian Railway? a cruise?
i am quite interested what is your opinion/recommendations about those 3 caminos . Most of the places in your second sentence are memories a part from the cruises :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Ok... I'm interested. Do you have an itinerary for the first leg from Lourdes to Oloron?
Lourdes is on the Piamonte route.

When you get to Oloron-Sainte-Marie you continue onto the Arles route to Somport, then the Camino Aragonés.

Ok... I'm interested. Do you have an itinerary for the first leg from Lourdes to Oloron?

I had no guidebook in 2018 -- and relied entirely upon the good services of Amawalkers and the Forum's own sillydoll... (I had made previous visits to Lourdes in 1977 and 1978 for -- well, let's just say "professional reasons." It's a strange and wonderful place!) I don't think that there is a guidebook even today.

Day 1 - Lourdes to Betharram, 17 km.
Day 2 - Betharram to Arudy, 23.4 km
Day 3 - Arudy to Oloron, 23.2 km

Walking through that stretch of southern France was like walking through the Shire.... Absolutely green, and absolutely charming.

1729899170572.webp

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So since 2018 i compleated Camino Frances/Portuges/Primitivo/Norte . Some of them more than once . It may sounds like a lot (FB) but not in this forum ..... I don't have any plans for 2025 camino and to be honest i dont feel the calling like i used to . However just in case can you recomend some of the other routes ? 2 or 3 weeks time perhaps , April till October ? And yes i have other plans for 2025 like TMB and possibly bikepacking ruta de la plata (i don't think of it as camino/pilgimage though ) .
Hi Joro
It sounds like you’re still feeling the pull …
For the time you have available - I think the Invierno would make you happy.
Also., in the future ; think about splitting the vdlp into chunks that fit your available time . But walking it (from March if starting at Sevilla. … so that you are part of the moving peregrin@s.
You will be surprised at how good this camino feels and the camaraderie you’ll experience.
From Salamanca…you could look into (research) the camino Torres /gierra combo. It’s one I haven’t walked yet but looks really good.

I wouldn't discount the VDLP. It perhaps isn't a pilgrimage in the standard sense, but there is a lot of history. And, it is as much mental (with long stretches of lonlieness) that will test you stamina a bit.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino Aragones: Lourdes to Oloron, then up over the Somport Pass to Jaca, and from there on to Puente la Reina/Pamplona..... Did it in 2018.... Desperately wish that I could do it again someday!

I walked the Aragones back in 2005 from Oloron and loved it. Two memorable experiences were being able to sneak in the Can Franc Estación and explore the ruins and a memorable night at the albergue at Eunate. At Eunate, time in the chapel by candlelight, returning to the albergue, and at lights out discovering someone had applied day-glo stars to tge ceiling so we slept under starlight.

The camino de Madrid was a lovely 2 weeks walk, quite easy, except for the climb before Segovia, which was a beautiful mountain day. Lots of history, very quiet.

Camino Aragones: Lourdes to Oloron, then up over the Somport Pass to Jaca, and from there on to Puente la Reina/Pamplona..... Did it in 2018.... Desperately wish that I could do it again someday!
I second Jeffrey's suggestion. For anyone interested in walking historic pilgrimage routes, this one was described in the 12th c Codex Calixtinus. "Three in particular are the pillars of extraordinary usefulness that the Lord has established in this world for the succour of His poor, these being the hospital in Jerusalem, the hospital of Monts Joux (Grand Saint-Bernard pass), and the hospital of St “Christina in Somport.”

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked the Aragones back in 2005 from Oloron and loved it. Two memorable experiences were being able to sneak in the Can Franc Estación and explore the ruins and a memorable night at the albergue at Eunate. At Eunate, time in the chapel by candlelight, returning to the albergue, and at lights out discovering someone had applied day-glo stars to tge ceiling so we slept under starlight.
So cool someone remembers the albergue at Eunate. I was a hospi there in very early 2007 (freeeezing!) and can well recall those stars on the ceiling!
...also the fun poking around that creepy abandoned train station up on the mountain, I did that in about 2011. Wow has it changed since then!
It's kinda fun, being an old-timer.

Congratulations on your adventures! Maybe consider volunteering at one of your favorite albuergues on your favorite route?

I think I might have a little idea of how you feel. I went on my last (?) Camino in 2023. I SWORE in 2019 that I would never go back. That was after the Camino de Madrid in August. Felt like it came full circle for me, and maybe it was time for some other journeys. If you think at some point, you might squeeze out one more Canino, look into the Camino Sanabres. It's spectacular, and "up and coming", I think it's going to be a great one in the future (hopefully not too crowded). Start in Zamora (Salamanca if you want to add some more days). It veers off the Via de Plata in La Granja de Moreruela. Trains go direct from Madrid to Zamora (nice 2 day walk to La Granja). You know the Camino will most likely haunt again; we should probably both be ready. Peace, Bob

Attachments

• IMG_20230908_101613.webp
    IMG_20230908_101613.webp
    244 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230911_100312.webp
    IMG_20230911_100312.webp
    427.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230915_141114.webp
    IMG_20230915_141114.webp
    121.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230920_143034.webp
    IMG_20230920_143034.webp
    288.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230923_114321.webp
    IMG_20230923_114321.webp
    272.1 KB · Views: 4
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Through your eyes, I am an 'oldtimer.' Through my eyes and through my infused spirit, I am a newborn babe. And since I do not consider myself an 'oldtimer,' please do not call me an 'oldtimer.' It goes against my basic grain.

Hi Joro
Like you I’ve been walking the Caminos since 2015 and I’ve decided I want to do one more so next year June -July I’m walking the vdlp, 45 days with a few rest days thrown in so I’ll probably plan 50 days for the whole journey.

Ha, who you calling an ol' timer ;)? So my h'pence worth as you mentioned bikepacking La via de la Plata. Spain has a plethora of biking routes, caminos, via verdes, the Romans, the Moors, so much history; add Portugal and you could enjoy a lifetime of bike touring here. Perhaps, like you, I have no "calling" to travel the Caminos but I enjoy meeting the peregrinos, the scenery and of course the resources the Camino provides. Try some of the lesser known Caminos, go in to Portugal, it's a treasure trove so fill ya boots.

Richard

PS apologies for the British slang but you should understand OK.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I was sad to read that you no longer hear the Way calling you back. There are so many routes to Santiago but these are just roads and foothpaths. When your calling springs back to life you will know which route you need.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

So since 2018 i compleated Camino Frances/Portuges/Primitivo/Norte . Some of them more than once . It may sounds like a lot (FB) but not in this forum ..... I don't have any plans for 2025 camino...
Hi. We are coming back in April 25 and land at Santiago at 22.10. We have accomodation booked in A Coruna for the first two nights before starting the Camino Inglese, but I don't wholly trust...
We are finishing up a stage in O Cebreiro next year. Looking at bus schedule it looks like we will need a taxi or private transfer from O Cebriero to SDC airport. Having looked at some transfer...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back