• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

new hiker from Germany says Buen Camino

peterott

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello,

this is Peter here. I am new in this forum as I've registered due to an adventure I am planning for next year.
I don't want to hike a full camino, but rather make a round-trip around Santander.

* Santander => San Vicente de la Barquera on the Camino del Norte
* San Vicente de la Barquera => Monasterio de Santo Toribio de Liébana on the Camino Lebaniego
* Monasterio de Santo Toribio de Liébana => Cistierna on the the Ruta Vadiniense
* Cistierna => Aguilar de Campoo, on the Camino Olvidado
* Aguilar de Campoo => Santander on the Calzada De Los Blendios
=> A trip In the range of 400km withing 18-20 days.

Will definitely come back and check lots of information (found already highly useful information about the Olvidado) and will need to ask sooner or later questions.
E.g. the transitions from one path to the other, as I don't want to waste half a day of hiking, the typical questions of "how where and what pilgrim pass to get for such a trip" and so on and so forth. But time will come later to ask these questions in more detail in the sub-forum.

Cheers!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I hope you enjoy whatever you choose, but I'm confused. If you're specifically planning a round trip hike, why do you need a "pilgrim pass"( which I assume is a credencial)?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@dbier, @David Tallan
Thanks for you answers.

Yes, I intend staying a good portion of that round-trip in albergues and I was under the impression that a pilgrim pass is required for them staying there overnight. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Sometimes I may also stay in a hotel or other sort of B&B, but albergues are definitely needed on several parts of the trails .

Now I am on at least 3 different caminos but I should be all the time in Cantabria. I may check with the Cantabrian tourist office or any other local Cantabrian camino organisation. Will see.

@dbier, @David Tallan
Thanks for you answers.

Yes, I intend staying a good portion of that round-trip in albergues and I was under the impression that a pilgrim pass is required for them staying there overnight. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Sometimes I may also stay in a hotel or other sort of B&B, but albergues are definitely needed on several parts of the trails .

Now I am on at least 3 different caminos but I should be all the time in Cantabria. I may check with the Cantabrian tourist office or any other local Cantabrian camino organisation. Will see.
It depends on the albergue. Many private albergues do not require a credencial. While they are listed as "pilgrim-focused", they are not exclusive to pilgrims traveling to Santiago de Compostela. There are others (often municipal albergues, parochial albergues, or albergues that are run by associations focused on serving pilgrims to Santiago) that are "pilgrim-exclusive" and require credencials that certify you as a pilgrim to Santiago.

Thanks for the explanation, @David Tallan. Will be interesting to explain with my halfway decent Spanglish knowledge, that I am traveling in the opposite direction away from Santiago dC on the Camino Olvidado path :)

But jokes aside, I have already asked for a pilgrim pass and found very nice information on the web about Camino Lebaniego/Ruta Vadiniense and now also about the Calzada de los Blendios (which I learnt is highly similar to the Camino del Besaya).

y4lzjAh.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Will be interesting to explain with my halfway decent Spanglish knowledge, that I am traveling in the opposite direction away from Santiago dC on the Camino Olvidado path :)

But jokes aside...
Jokes aside, there was a bit of discussion here a while ago when some hikers on the Camino Mozarabe who were walking north to south on that route (away from Santiago) had it made clear to them that the association albergues were not welcoming them, even with their credencials, as they weren't walking either to Santiago nor on their return from Santiago. So it clearly isn't a joking matter for everyone. I haven't heard that the Camino Olvidado folks are taking the same hard line, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Most read last week in this forum

For the past couple of years, the mods have volunteered to create calendars that show forum members’ names, date of departure, and departure city. The hope is that it gives people a chance to...
My brother Bruno was traveling the Santiago paths and the last time we had contact with him was when he arrived in Santiago de Compostela. We haven't heard from him since August 17th. If you...
Hello fellow pilgrims, I am planning on opening an Albergue on the Portuguese route. I have walked both the Frances and the Portuguese route. I speak pretty decent Portuguese and am looking for...
Hello, I am going to be walking my first Camino this spring and will spend two weeeks in Spain. I will take a relaxed walk from Sarria to Santiago. I will be almost 79 years old and walk five...
Hello everyone, I’m Giacomo from Italy, and I’m excited to join this community!I’ve been running almost every day for years now, though typically for shorter distances. Recently, I’ve been...
I am in Larrasoaña.. is there a service to get my pack to pamplona in the morning?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.