Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need Help / Advice on Accommodation in San Sebastian and Northern Route

unaharty

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués: April 2024
Norte: July 2024
Hi there,

I am a seasoned pilgrim but I will be walking my first leg of the Northern Route in early July. I am walking alone for the first time and so I was hoping to be more spontaneous about my accommodation along the route. I hoped to stay in municipal albergues as much as possible as I am looking to not spend too much money.

I have noticed after a bit of research that there aren't many municipal albergues along the Northern Route, even in high season! And the albergues that are open are around €25 a night! I am really shocked at how expensive they are and how little availability is left with one month to go until my Camino.

I am looking for advice on places to stay in San Sebastian as everywhere is booked out! I am wondering if there any places not online or not on booking sites I should contact. My budget is €25 a night. I want to be able to visit the tapas bars at night and enjoy the pintxos and I don't mind walking into the town (or even get a taxi if I must!)

I'm a huge foodie so San Sebastian has been a dream destination for me for a long time so I really cannot skip it and I want to enjoy what it has to offer.

Furthermore, are there any other municipal albergues you would recommend between Irún and Bilbao? Do you reckon I will have to book each place along the way? I was really hoping to do this in true pilgrim style - rocking up around lunchtime and grabbing a bunk!

Many thanks in advance,
Úna

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You are right that there is a huge lack of pilgrim accommodations on the Norte, particularly in the early stages. Add the fact that the northern coast and especially places like San Sebastián are popular summer tourist destinations and the result is high prices.

It will probably be hard to stay at 25€ or less in the more popular towns - you will probably have to try to average your daily costs by finding less expensive places on the other days.

Hi,
Municipal albergues normally cannot be booked.Capture d’écran 2024-06-11 à 17.29.05.png
Here above are my choices between Irun and Bilbao (I plan to walk on August).
"Albergue de peregrinos" should be a municipal. Last column is the price.
(Please do not consider that donativos are free).

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
You are right that there is a huge lack of pilgrim accommodations on the Norte, particularly in the early stages. Add the fact that the northern coast and especially places like San Sebastián are popular summer tourist destinations and the result is high prices.

It will probably be hard to stay at 25€ or less in the more popular towns - you will probably have to try to average your daily costs by finding less expensive places on the other days.
Thanks Trecile. It seems like I may have to pay upwards of €150 for one night in San Sebastian which blows my budget completely! I have checked with all local albergues to see if they are holding any spaces for walk-ins and no joy!

Even the municipal is booked out! Whatever happened to municipals not taking reservations?

Hi,
Municipal albergues normally cannot be booked.View attachment 172164
Here above are my choices between Irun and Bilbao (I plan to walk on August).
"Albergue de peregrinos" should be a municipal. Last column is the price.
(Please do not consider that donativos are free).
Thank you. This is very helpful. I've contacted Ondarreta with no luck. I asked them to see if they knew of anywhere that I could ask for a bed for the night and they said look online...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A Room in The City in San Sebastian is a very popular low priced hostel. It might be hard to get a bunk based on summer traffic but worth trying, good location and well run.

Even the municipal is booked out! Whatever happened to municipals not taking reservations?
There is no municipal albergue in San Sebastián. You must be looking at the youth hostel which requires reservations according to Gronze.
It actually says that it's not for pilgrims, but they are accepted.

Screenshot_20240611_191650_Firefox.jpg

There are a lot of surf schools that book these places out in the summer months.

Sorry, that this all sounds like bad news, but if you plan carefully you should be able to do it in your budget (or close to it).

Hi there,

I am a seasoned pilgrim but I will be walking my first leg of the Northern Route in early July. I am walking alone for the first time and so I was hoping to be more spontaneous about my accommodation along the route. I hoped to stay in municipal albergues as much as possible as I am looking to not spend too much money.

I have noticed after a bit of research that there aren't many municipal albergues along the Northern Route, even in high season! And the albergues that are open are around €25 a night! I am really shocked at how expensive they are and how little availability is left with one month to go until my Camino.

I am looking for advice on places to stay in San Sebastian as everywhere is booked out! I am wondering if there any places not online or not on booking sites I should contact. My budget is €25 a night. I want to be able to visit the tapas bars at night and enjoy the pintxos and I don't mind walking into the town (or even get a taxi if I must!)

I'm a huge foodie so San Sebastian has been a dream destination for me for a long time so I really cannot skip it and I want to enjoy what it has to offer.

Furthermore, are there any other municipal albergues you would recommend between Irún and Bilbao? Do you reckon I will have to book each place along the way? I was really hoping to do this in true pilgrim style - rocking up around lunchtime and grabbing a bunk!

Many thanks in advance,
Úna

A long time ago, when there were fewer actual hotels and pensions in SS, the tourist office kept a list of rooms for rent in private homes. I did this three times, long before I ever did the Camino. This was back in the 70s, I think. One was an older widow (I was with her two years in a row for several days). The third was in a modern apartment quite far from downtown with a young married couple. It was a really nice experience, given that I speak Spanish. At some point, this service ceased. Maybe they have reinstituted it because of the vast increase in the numbers of transient pilgrims? It would be worth checking out.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I stayed at Koisi Hostel in San Seb, but it looks like the prices are variable day to day and it's not that handy to the old town. Just an idea.

There have only been a couple places so far (I'm en route) where I found it challenging to get an albergue bed; e.g. before/in Bilbao (try Optimi Rooms there). Depends on your chosen stages.

Hi there @unaharty

First - I’m assuming you are checking the ‘Gronze’ site. @ other apps like Wise pilgrim … gronze shows the map and intermediary possibilities.. also gives indicative prices for accommodation - cuts down on the work.

Next - I’ve stayed in San Sebastián in ‘room in the city ‘ once. Very safe with code access to dorms etc. and externally.

Like @naplesdon says above tho - summer traffic!!

I know you are a solo peregrino … and it’s always going to be more than expensive for ‘we types’ to find anything ‘non municipal ‘ for a reasonable price. I can understand that in a tourist city.

You could try ‘befriending ‘ other peregrino/as; you are walking with and book something like an apartment or a pension (for 4 ) or ???
It may seem a bigger total but split a number of ways - it is sometimes comparable to an albergue bunk.
I did this on the Portuguese last November …. 4 of us. Gorgeous apartment ., 2 rooms … lounge , tv. , kitchen , washing machine /dryer., & private bathroom.
Somewhere around 70€. Total for 4. !! I recall somewhere around 18€ each !!

Next: Enroute to San Sebastián but still within walking distance and visibility of the city … there is a place run by an organization call ‘the twelve tribes’. I think a religious type group. I met them coming toward me with their shopping when I was walking to San S.. they invited me back (I’d just passed their beautiful garden ) to enjoy some tea and cake.
They gave no pressure to stay there but it was a lovely setting to stop for a break. They had (at the time /sep 2014…. Dorms etc … not sure if they are still there or what they are called (if they are on Gronze ).

I feel for you - The costs have been pushed up a lot since I walked. I don’t recall booking anything until well after the half way mark.
I did stay at the albergue in Pasaje de San Juan (Santa Ana ) breaking the stage from Irún to San s.. the Hospitalero there at that time ; recommended I just have a look at San S; but walk through to Orio / I have since returned to San S for some R&R after another camino finished. 3 nights gave me time to enjoy it and the food !!
However re the comment on overnighting further on in Orio ; this would not fit your preferences to stop in or near San S.

Good luck with your research.
I’m very pleased to read @Pafayac has shared. Great help.

Buen camino.

Last edited:
Enroute to San Sebastián but still within walking distance and visibility of the city … there is a place run by an organization call ‘the twelve tribes’. I think a religious type group.
I would definitely research this group before staying with them. There's a reason why Gronze, Wise Pilgrim, etc. don't list this place.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did an AirBnB one time which was very central. It was only a bedroom in an apartment that I shared with the owner and their young family. A simple continental breakfast was included but I have no memory of what I paid, but it wasn’t very much.

Online research has its limitations. If you are doing so through booking sites, remember that most establishments only list a few rooms and often only the pricier ones, and then release a few other rooms closer to the time. A telephone/Whatsapp call may find better rates. I have found a number of hostel rooms in Saint Sebastian in the 30euro range for early July.

But there's no way out-- the north is primarily a tourist destination for the Spanish and only secondarily a pilgrim one and Saint Sebastian is a global hotspot with NY and Canadian papers full of advice on where to nosh etc. We pilgrims are not the main business line. When I stopped in Saint Sebastian in 2010 (a long time ago!!) the turismo in the harbour gave me a list of accommodations in the one-star and two-star category and I recall that many of them were reasonable in price--- however, I'm one of these skip-Saint Sebastian types, and just wanted to head on.

Break your journey out of Irun in San Juan Pasaia as the village is perched on the side of this inlet, and give syou a very early start into Saint Sebastian, maximizing your chances at a good bunk. Note that Saint Sebastian is a large city with a good bus system reaching into nearby suburban villages and you might find something workable there-- private host AirBnB (as opposed to the commercial mock-hotels) can be a good deal. I would underline a previously mentioned caution about the Twelve Tribes-- a friend of mine had difficulties stemming from them, albeit some years ago.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
Hi there,

Many thanks in advance,
Úna
Hi Úna,
I live in Gipuzkoa province but I am natural from San Sebastian, lived there until my 30 years. These last 10 years Donostia is under a massive touristic wave and is going more and more. Not nice. It has consequences for everyday life of it's habitants in a region wich economic power is iron industry and not tourism.
Same for the gastronomic experience you were speaking about. Old town is already a tourist trap for tourists seeking for pintxos and reality is that youll have better pintxos in city's no matter which quarter, in an industry area's bar, or metropolitan towns of San Sebastian itself (bad for an instagram style picture but good in authenticity). In Beasain where I live now I find tortilla de patatas pintxos or gastronomic choice much better than is San Sebastian. Same with any town in the province. So, don't worry about experiencing gastronomy in San Sebastian. You'll find better options in any district or town along the Gipuzkoan coast. But not only in Gipuzkoa, Basque Country and the northern regions do have proper gastronomic reputation. Of course don't hesitate to check it yourself.
There are not affordable options in the city to sleep one night if you are a pilgrim. I have recommended to some Finnish friends to try Hotel Atxega in Usurbil, wich is located in the metropolitan area. It is well connected by "Topo" train as we call it, Euskotren train station, line E1. Main station is in Plaza Easo in San Sebastian.

Last edited:
Hi there @unaharty

First - I’m assuming you are checking the ‘Gronze’ site. @ other apps like Wise pilgrim … gronze shows the map and intermediary possibilities.. also gives indicative prices for accommodation - cuts down on the work.

Next - I’ve stayed in San Sebastián in ‘room in the city ‘ once. Very safe with code access to dorms etc. and externally.

I know you are a solo peregrino … and it’s always going to be more than expensive for ‘we types’ to find anything ‘non municipal ‘ for a reasonable price. I can understand that in a tourist city.

You could try ‘befriending ‘ other peregrino/as; you are walking with and book something like an apartment or a pension (for 4 ) or ???
It may seem a bigger total but split a number of ways - it is sometimes comparable to an albergue bunk.
I did this on the Portuguese last November …. 4 of us. Gorgeous apartment ., 2 rooms … lounge , tv. , kitchen , washing machine /dryer., & private bathroom.

Hi there @unaharty

Next: Enroute to San Sebastián but still within walking distance and visibility of the city … there is a place run by an organization call ‘the twelve tribes’. I think a religious type group. I met them coming toward me with their shopping when I was walking to San S.. they invited me back (I’d just passed their beautiful garden ) to enjoy some tea and cake.
They gave no pressure to stay there but it was a lovely setting to stop for a break. They had (at the time /sep 2014…. Dorms etc … not sure if they are still there or what they are called (if they are on Gronze ).

I feel for you - The costs have been pushed up a lot since I walked. I don’t recall booking anything until well after the half way mark.
I did stay at the albergue in Pasaje de San Juan (Santa Ana ) breaking the stage from Irún to San s.. the Hospitalero there at that time ; recommended I just have a look at San S; but walk through to Orio / I have since returned to San S for some R&R after another camino finished. 3 nights gave me time to enjoy it and the food !!
However re the comment on overnighting further on in Orio ; this would not fit your preferences to stop in or near San S.

Buen camino.

Buen camino

Hi there @unaharty

Buen camino.
Sounds like a place to avoid;

You’ll heed to book a bed in places like Izarbide and Hostel Getaria. I was in both just 3 weeks ago, and the hospi in Getaria was turning away walk-ins as the place was completo (but there is a muni up the hill). Re Izarbide, you absolutely do not want to be doing that climb up to it at the end of the day, only to find that it’s completo.

I've just
Thanks Trecile. It seems like I may have to pay upwards of €150 for one night in San Sebastian which blows my budget completely! I have checked with all local albergues to see if they are holding any spaces for walk-ins and no joy!

Finished the del Norte on May 23rd and stayed in San Sebastian at the youth hostel on the outer edge of town, oldies permitted to stay, on April 14th for €23. It was lovely and clean, with kitchen, and i think its got a lot of beds. San Sebastian is a very popular tourist destination so I liked having walked through town the previous day. Good luck.

Hi there,

Many thanks in advance,
Úna
I walked this area 23 Sept 2024, and around 1600, every place I called within the city was booked. 12 Tribes well up the hill before San Sebastian had beds when I walked in, but I wanted to be closer to town and bars. There is a hostel closer, but still far up on hill before town, and it had plenty of availability (but no food or drink nearby). The hostel at the far end of the city also had plenty of availability, even at 1700 when I called, so I stayed there at about 20e. Arriving after 1900, there was only one nearby restaurant still open with limited menu. Any of these 3 places, if returning several kilometers in the dark after drinking, I would probably opt for taxi.

A very large number of pilgrims I met along the del Norte carried their own tents. It was a challenge, but I was always able to get a bed, generally late in the day before I called them, and was only forced to stay in hotel rooms 4x at a cost of 25-45 euro.

A Room in The City in San Sebastian is a very popular low priced hostel. It might be hard to get a bunk based on summer traffic but worth trying, good location and well run.
Thanks - a room was coming in at around €70 a night so had to give it a pass. It looks like a nice spot though.

Gronze says it should cost €25. Shame they are hiking the prices up so much.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Úna,
I live in Gipuzkoa province but I am natural from San Sebastian, lived there until my 30 years. These last 10 years Donostia is under a massive touristic wave and is going more and more. Not nice. It has consequences for everyday life of it's habitants in a region wich economic power is iron industry and not tourism.
Same for the gastronomic experience you were speaking about. Old town is already a tourist trap for tourists seeking for pintxos and reality is that youll have better pintxos in city's no matter which quarter, in an industry area's bar, or metropolitan towns of San Sebastian itself (bad for an instagram style picture but good in authenticity). In Beasain where I live now I find tortilla de patatas pintxos or gastronomic choice much better than is San Sebastian. Same with any town in the province. So, don't worry about experiencing gastronomy in San Sebastian. You'll find better options in any district or town along the Gipuzkoan coast. But not only in Gipuzkoa, Basque Country and the northern regions do have proper gastronomic reputation. Of course don't hesitate to check it yourself.
There are not affordable options in the city to sleep one night if you are a pilgrim. I have recommended to some Finnish friends to try Hotel Atxega in Usurbil, wich is located in the metropolitan area. It is well connected by "Topo" train as we call it, Euskotren train station, line E1. Main station is in Plaza Easo in San Sebastian.
Thank you for you reply. I'm delighted to hear that I won't be short of wonderful pintxos whereever I go in the Basque region.

I just tested "A room in the City", for one night, mid July. Great Bunks still available, but not many. €25 and €27 per night booking direct with the hostel. Don't mess around, book now, pay in advance if possible.
Regards Gerard.
Always book direct.

I just tested "A room in the City", for one night, mid July. Great Bunks still available, but not many. €25 and €27 per night booking direct with the hostel. Don't mess around, book now, pay in advance if possible.
Regards Gerard.
Always book direct.
I see that they're making you book two nights minimum in this hostel on their own website - perhaps to deter pilgrims?

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
Thank you for you reply. I'm delighted to hear that I won't be short of wonderful pintxos whereever I go in the Basque region.
San Sebastian is a top gastronomic spot speaking about michelin stars restaurants. But pintxos and good restaurants is what I am speaking about, that's folk culture and you'll find brilliant traditional cooking places all in the basque region. Not only there, in all the northern provinces also. Galicia for example food is gorgeous.

Hi there,

Many thanks in advance,
Úna
Hi Úna, in 2017 I did sleep at Green Nest Hostel Uba Aterpetxea €19.- but it's quite a bit away from the beach and now up from €28.-

I would definitely research this group before staying with them. There's a reason why Gronze, Wise Pilgrim, etc. don't list this place.
I stayed at 12 Tribes last year. Yes, they’re a religious group, but it’s also a safe, reasonably priced place to stay for a night. And it is really beautiful there.

In 2017 as I walked past the houses just past the twelve tribes' albergue a young man (ok, 30s or 40s) came out of the house and walked with me part way into San Sebastian. We talked but I heard not a word about any religion. He offered to carry my pack. His uncle was a commercial fisherman here in Alaska. When we parted he gave me a delicious healthy and very fresh muffin. I stopped for lunch at the Yellow Deli, where he was a cook. Best chili and cornbread I ever ate. From fellow pilgrims I only heard nice things about the albergue. I would stay there next time if I had the energy to continue past Pasajes. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, nice to meet you all. I will be doing my first Camino in a few weeks, on the Camino Del Norte. I only have 10 days and plan to experience a bit of the coast line, reach an intermediate...
Hola, I'm in the early stages of planning my first Camino next April-May. Due to health issues, I cannot carry a heavy pack like I used to, so it's either use a luggage transfer service or not...
I am wondering if the Camino del Norte is the next one for me. I have walked the Portugues (more than once) and loved it. I am tempted to go back and walk it again. I have walked the Frances but...
Hello! I am planning my fist (half) Camino and will land to Santander October 9. I was leaning towards the Camino del Norte for the scenery but it seems from other posts that in October most...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back