Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Marching in March

steve392

Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2018
2025 upcoming
Hey guys.

I'm looking into walking the Frances next year starting on 4th March.
Nothing is set in stone yet so was wondering who has started at this time of year?
Any advise? Is everything open? Is transport running? Weather? All the usual questions but relating specifically to March.
This will be my 3rd Camino and probably my last (for reasons that I may get into later but will send the thread off topic) so would love to dip into the bags of experience from those that have walked at this time of year.

As usual, many thanks in advance.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Most albergues, many bars and restaurants will still be closed in March next year. A lot of places only open in Holy Week and next year Easter is quite late - April 20th. That will limit your choice of accommodation and might mean that you have to walk some longer stages than you might want. Weather is very unpredictable.

We walked this past March 1-15 on the Frances (Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga). Many towns had no services for pilgrims. We had made reservations in advance to help us plan our stages. We loved the quiet of a March Camino but were glad we were experienced pilgrims. We always had food/water/clothing options to deal with any eventuality. We plan to resume our Camino mid-March 2025. Plan ahead and you'll be fine.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
As you probably know, the Napoleon route is closed until the first of April, so if you start from SJPdP it will be on the Valcarlos route.

As far as weather goes, this site is helpful:

Most albergues, many bars and restaurants will still be closed in March next year. A lot of places only open in Holy Week and next year Easter is quite late - April 20th. That will limit your choice of accommodation and might mean that you have to walk some longer stages than you might want. Weather is very unpredictable.
We started on the Frances (Sahagun) on March 1 two years ago. Had the same experience as Bradypus with albergues and also hotels. Many places we called told us they would not open till Easter. It was also colder than we expected. The cool weather was great for hiking but many indoor places such as restaurants and hotels were not heated. Brrrr.

Last edited:
I am thinking of starting from SJPP around 18 -20 March 2025, so all replies are appreciated by me. Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I can’t believe I’m just starting my 4th week on the Camino! Frómista to Carrión de los Condes, 12.5 miles, 20.11 Km. A rather uneventful day, which I don’t mind after yesterday’s intense day...
Hello all, I'm planing a 10-14 day walk from SJPP to .. as far as I get. Will be walking a slower pace (about 8 miles) and plan to cross from SJPP to Roncevalles in 2 days. Once leaving...
Hi, I’ve walked four Caminos in the past and hope to do another in June next year, though my arthritis might have another opinion… We all walk our own Camino our own way… I’ve still got the...
It's almost there thankfully the big walk begins tomorrow, raining all day according to the forecast. Trying to get a few hours sleep tonight and a good breakfast in the morning. I've done all my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back