Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Making Plans Primitivo

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk Comino 2020
Hi,

I’ve just finished walking the Camino Frances (I’m a female solo walker) and now toying with the idea of doing the Primitivo next year about June time. My first question is what is the quickest travel route to Oviedo? I’ll be travelling in from a UK flight from Gatwick. Is it best to get to Santander and bus it or Madrid by train to Oviedo. My Spanish is not the best (I’m working on it) but I want a simple travel route if possible. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you 😊🥾

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,

I’ve just finished walking the Camino Frances (I’m a female solo walker) and now toying with the idea of doing the Primitivo next year about June time. My first question is what is the quickest travel route to Oviedo? I’ll be travelling in from a UK flight from Gatwick. Is it best to get to Santander and bus it or Madrid by train to Oviedo. My Spanish is not the best (I’m working on it) but I want a simple travel route if possible. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you 😊🥾
Fly direct into Asturias (Oviedo) airport (OVD). 20 minute bus ride into town.

Edited to add: bus stop is about 50m to your right when you come out of the terminal. You can either book your tickets online (app) or pay on the bus, I think roughly 10 Euros from memory.

Last edited:
Back in 2016 I flew from DUB to Asturias Airport with Ryanair. They still fly I think. Where are you flying from. Vueling also fly from Gatwick.

Edited: post crossed with @Peterexpatkiwi !!

I remember the bus in from the airport was quick and simple.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,

Hi there! as @Peterexpatkiwi mentioned above OVD is an option. I will be walking the Primitivo in October, flying to Madrid and then train to Oviedo. It was the cheaper option for me (flying from Brasil).

Fly direct into Asturias (Oviedo) airport (OVD). 20 minute bus ride into town.

Edited to add: bus stop is about 50m to your right when you come out of the terminal. You can either book your tickets online (app) or pay on the bus, I think roughly 10 Euros from memory.
Thank you so much Peter. I appreciate the help.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I loved the Primitivo (July last year). I cut off at Lugo onto the Verde, and thence the Norte.
I posted at the time, as did @David Tallan, who was a week or two ahead of me, and @dbier, who was a week or two behind me!.

David also added the Salvador - I wish I'd had the time to do that too.

Try and get an earlier flight in if possible, Oviedo is worth exploring. Also consider allowing time for a rest day in Lugo. Again, worthwhile ! .

Pace/staging is very individual. Consider booking the first couple of nights, just like on the Frances. (Nearer the time of course!). It lets you take your own sweet time to get back into walking. This year there were quite a few reports back in May of big numbers on trail/ full Albergues, although I haven't seen anything lately.

There were a few threads earlier this year, including at least one (@Thomas1 I think?) who walked short stages. I know several members have walked recently without posting.

Personally I used the Village to Village map guide from Ivar for planning, it worked really well. I'd send it to you, but hope to perhaps walk again next year.... .

Enjoy your research!

Last edited:
Hi,

In my morning reading I ran across this short article about Oviedo. I the Primativo is certainly on my future Camino list. With the history Oviedo offers and considering it will take me the better part of a day traveling to get there from The States, resting a day and enjoying Oviedo will probably start off this particular Camino for me. Regarding traveling to the start of the Primativo, I see that for me taking one of several airlines out of MAD to Asturias would work quite nicely.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That's a good option, but for those who want a Compostela it doesn't qualify. Just wanted to point that out

While no doubt true, I've gotten two Compostelas after taking the Verde. No one said a word to me or my wife.

While no doubt true, I've gotten two Compostelas after taking the Verde. No one said a word to me or my wife.
Yes indeed it is true.

And while I have not collected a compostela now for several years, I did in 2016 after walking the Primitivo and the Ruta Verde. No problems.

I was told a the tourist office in Lugo, and I am sorry to say in a rude and unkind way by a particular individual, that I was "not allowed" to take the Green Route through Friol to Sobrado.

Nedless to say, I was not put off! ;)

But you have to walk on a "recognised route" or "approved route" - I cannot check it immediately. @Kathar1na - chapter and verse? But it means for instance that if you live in Galicia and walk even 200 km from your own home, but not on an approved route, you cannot get a compostela.

This is not the only reason I don't bother any more. But it is a small part of the reason....

And while I have not collected a compostela now for several years, I did in 2016 after walking the Primitivo and the Ruta Verde. No problems.
Interesting. Last year I walked the Primitivo with two young women who had started their Camino at the border of the Netherlands and Belgium. A Compostela was very important to them, so I didn't suggest the Ruta Verde, though they probably would have preferred it. I didn't want to suggest something that would keep them from receiving their Compostelas.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Interesting. Last year I walked the Primitivo with two young women who had started their Camino at the border of the Netherlands and Belgium. A Compostela was very important to them, so I didn't suggest the Ruta Verde, though they probably would have preferred it. I didn't want to suggest something that would keep them from receiving their Compostelas.
Having walked that far with the number of stamps they would have accumulated I'd be astonished if anyone noticed one stamp that was not on an 'officially recognised' route.(Yes, just one - I got one at the church just over the river leaving Lugo - still on the Primitivo - one in Friol (technically not allowed), one the next day at the first cafe on the Norte, etc) And it would take a pretty miserable excuse for a human being to refuse them after the kms they'd walked.
But you are right - technically the 1 1/2 days on the Verde would not have counted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having walked that far with the number of stamps they would have accumulated I'd be astonished if anyone noticed one stamp that was not on an 'officially recognised' route.(Yes, just one - I got one at the church just over the river leaving Lugo - still on the Primitivo - one in Friol (technically not allowed), one the next day at the first cafe on the Norte, etc) And it would take a pretty miserable excuse for a human being to refuse them after the kms they'd walked.
But you are right - technically the 1 1/2 days on the Verde would not have counted.
now now... that is new info to me @Peterexpatkiwi as I was already excited to avoid the Melide-Santiago crowd coming from the Primitivo, the Verde being a really sound option. its a risk then - although hard to say for sure - to go Verde if youd like to get your compostela...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi there!

Depending on your budget, all the options above can work.

For me, coming from eastern US, flying to Madrid through Lisbon (Tap Portugal) and taking a fast train from Madrid Chamartin to Oviedo was very easy. You'll meet other pilgrims on the train, heading to León, Oviedo, or Gijón.

Definitely recommend time in Oviedo and in Lugo!

Buen Camino.

now now... that is new info to me @Peterexpatkiwi as I was already excited to avoid the Melide-Santiago crowd coming from the Primitivo, the Verde being a really sound option. its a risk then - although hard to say for sure - to go Verde if youd like to get your compostela...
Correct, it's a risk.

There are many examples of people who have claimed their Compostela with no issues. To @Telelama & @timr I'll add the two dutch women who walked the Verde at the time that I did, I've seen others here on the forum. In fact, I have yet to see any reports of anyone that was refused their Compostela.

BUT - and it's a big but - technically the Verde is NOT an official route. Which leaves you open to a particularly attentive volunteer at the pilgrim office asking how you got from the Primitivo to the Norte, or noticing that single stamp from Friol.

Like @timr, I do not collect a Compostela.

If the Compostela is important to you, you need to decide if it's a risk you're prepared to take.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Correct, it's a risk.

There are many examples of people who have claimed their Compostela with no issues. To @Telelama & @timr I'll add the two dutch women who walked the Verde at the time that I did, I've seen others here on the forum. In fact, I have yet to see any reports of anyone that was refused their Compostela.

BUT - and it's a big but - technically the Verde is NOT an official route. Which leaves you open to a particularly attentive volunteer at the pilgrim office asking how you got from the Primitivo to the Norte, or noticing that single stamp from Friol.

Like @timr, I do not collect a Compostela.

If the Compostela is important to you, you need to decide if it's a risk you're prepared to take.
Thank you, it will be a consideration for my daughter and her friend for their first camino which we will walk with them this year. My husband and I have 4 other compostellas and were sorely hoping to avoid the Frances section from Melide.

the Verde being a really sound option. its a risk then

I would suggest that it would be extremely rare to have a Compostela held back for taking the Verde. As noted above, we've done it twice and received our Compostelas.

There were another six people from our "wave" this year that walked the Verde and each of them received a Compostela.

If for some reason the person at the counter decides not to give a Compostela, I'd simply get back in line and try with another person at the counter.

I don't believe it's a risk at all. Not one person questioned our Credencials or the fact we took the Verde.

Hi,

If you fly to Santander Alsa bus is only 2..5 hours and less than 50 euros and leaves outside the small airport. The coach is an executive coach and the last on of the day is 2005. You can book using Alsa website.

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
@peregrina2000 gave me some sage advice a few years ago when I posted about planning to walk the Primitivo. She suggested I first walk the Camino San Salvador from León to Oviedo and then continue onto the Primitivo. The San Salvador was simply fantastic! I had never heard of it, and now I’ve walked it twice. So, if you can swing it, I highly, highly recommend it!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I loved the Primitivo (July last year). I cut off at Lugo onto the Verde, and thence the Norte.
I posted at the time, as did @David Tallan, who was a week or two ahead of me, and @dbier, who was a week or two behind me!.

David also added the Salvador - I wish I'd had the time to do that too.
It is not the quickest way to get to Oviedo by a long shot, but if you can squeeze in an extra week (or 6 days), then the walk from Leon is, if not the quickest way to Oviedo, surely the best way to get there and start your Camino Primitivo and an excellent aperitif for the Primitivo, as well as a delightful little Camino in its own right.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, I’ve just finished walking the Camino Frances (I’m a female solo walker) and now toying with the idea of doing the Primitivo next year about June time. My first question is what is the...
Hello ALL! I'm looking for advice on short stages with available accomodations on the Primitivo during the higher mountain stages of the route. Would like to walk around 16Km(10 miles) only in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back