• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Making A Map

witsendwv

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
I have been trying to figure out how to make a walking map similar to those of Wise Pilgrim (little dots along the way)! The only apps I have found draw straight lines from point to point. Is it possible to make a similar map in advance or only by walking? Any help is appreciated.

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
make a walking map
I am confused. I guess you like to draw a route/track similar those on Wise Pilgrim.
I am using the Outdooractive App, where I can draw a track from point to point and the app will put it on a available walking path network automatically. If I don't like the result, I can move the track to another path or road until I like the drawn route.
There are certainly many other apps with the same functions.

I am confused. I guess you like to draw a route/track similar those on Wise Pilgrim.
I am using the Outdooractive App, where I can draw a track from point to point and the app will put it on a available walking path network automatically. If I don't like the result, I can move the track to another path or road until I like the drawn route.
There are certainly many other apps with the same functions.
Yes, I would like to draw a route similar to those on Wise Pilgrim to have in advance of walking. I will try the Ourdooractive App. Thank you. 🥾 🍷:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have been trying to figure out how to make a walking map similar to those of Wise Pilgrim (little dots along the way)! The only apps I have found draw straight lines from point to point. Is it possible to make a similar map in advance or only by walking? Any help is appreciated.
Google Maps and Ride With GPS allow you to make customizable route maps.

I think you are trying to do something like the following. The OSMand app is a bit complex but if you verify that this is what you are looking for or the parts of it you want maybe a simpler tool can be found.

Creating and Using GPXs
YouTube video id: H5EEQYC0WLg

Does it have to be app based? I’ve created kml and gpx files for walking routes in mapy.cz on a windows computer and saved my routes in my Gaia account. My routes are then available in the Gaia app on my phone to navigate with. Mapy has an app as well. It’s usually pretty good at walking routes and you can export gpx from the app but I haven’t used it for planning. In general my personal experience is that app based platforms aren’t the best at custom route planning.

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
You can also use this browser based tool to create a gpx or KML formatted track. Let's assume that you want to take a few side trips on a Camino stage. You import a track of the stage and then from its start you click along the track after clicking the "trk' icon until you come to the point where you want to leave it and then continue along the way to the place you want to visit and then back to the Camino. When done you click the format wanted for the track. The tool creates a temporary file at its website for you to download.

It doesn't have to be based on anything- I am looking for the simplest way possible to put dot on a map like Wise Pilgrim. My skills are lacking and my patience is wearing thin. Thank you all. :( 🍷 🍷 🥾

Does it have to be app based? I’ve created kml and gpx files for walking routes in mapy.cz on a windows computer and saved my routes in my Gaia account. My routes are then available in the Gaia app on my phone to navigate with. Mapy has an app as well. It’s usually pretty good at walking routes and you can export gpx from the app but I haven’t used it for planning. In general my personal experience is that app based platforms aren’t the best at custom route planning.
I use mapy for both - planning can only be done on my computer, but then I just save the trails and they are available on the app for use.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Maybe you look for an interactive map like on the bottom of this page?

You can translate this page, all the tracks and accommodations you can download for using in your smartphone in apps like organic maps or any other. There is a manual on top of the download page.

The easiest way is to simply use "directions" in Google Maps but on your laptop to MAKE it and then "send to phone" to USE it - it will have the blue dots but also have the audio directions so you can simply put phone in pocket (and take a "virtual tour" before you go if you wish)

The only proviso is the trail is "active" in Google Maps and as of this morning I have made Ingles fully active to add to Frances and Norte over the last year.

There are a number of apps that will allow you to import GPS tracks (,kml, ..gpx, etc.) to create maps like you see in the popular Camino apps. Popular apps of this sort include Organic Maps, Mapy.cz, and Wikiloc. There are a number of online sources for these GPS tracks. But if you are going on a reasonably popular route, I'm not sure it is worth the effort to do so instead of using Buen Camino, Wise Pilgrim, Camino Ninja or something of that ilk, which will give you the track on the map and much more with a lot less effort on your part.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Google Maps and Ride With GPS allow you to make customizable route maps.
Yes and the key word is "customizable" because although you may be walking a "standard" Camino track (if such a thing exists) it is much more convenient if you have accommodation booked to put IT into your Google Map route - then Google will count down as you walk exactly how FAR to get there and at what TIME and that time will be based upon YOUR walking speed (and coffee stops).

There are a number of apps that will allow you to import GPS tracks (,kml, ..gpx, etc.) to create maps like you see in the popular Camino apps. Popular apps of this sort include Organic Maps, Mapy.cz, and Wikiloc. There are a number of online sources for these GPS tracks. But if you are going on a reasonably popular route, I'm not sure it is worth the effort to do so instead of using Buen Camino, Wise Pilgrim, Camino Ninja or something of that ilk, which will give you the track on the map and much more with a lot less effort on your part.
Thank you David,
I am trying to map a walk for which I cannot find a map. I wanted to use whatever Wise Pilgrim uses as I find his maps very easy to follow. I have started to use the Outdoor Active as suggested by Paul-CH, but I find it too busy for me. I'll keep looking. 🍷 🥾

Thank you David,
I am trying to map a walk for which I cannot find a map. I wanted to use whatever Wise Pilgrim uses as I find his maps very easy to follow. I have started to use the Outdoor Active as suggested by Paul-CH, but I find it too busy for me. I'll keep looking. 🍷 🥾
Wikiloc will allow you to record your own routes and view them on a map in the app. It is very popular with some Forum members. I have also had success recording routes with Geo Tracker. Once the route is recorded in Geo Tracker as a GPS file, in can import it into a map application (like Organic Maps) as I mentioned in my previous post.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have started to use the Outdoor Active
You may also go to the website of Outdooractive and draw you route there. Al you need is an account on the website and the same on the app. So you are able to sync your tracks to the phone.
go to the Route Planner and start Hiking route and enter the starting place and the place where you want to go. If you don't like the selected way you can insert intermediate points and draw the track to another route.

You may also go to the website of Outdooractive and draw you route there. Al you need is an account on the website and the same on the app. So you are able to sync your tracks to the phone.
go to the Route Planner and start Hiking route and enter the starting place and the place where you want to go. If you don't like the selected way you can insert intermediate points and draw the track to another route.
Thanks Paul, I am working on it, a bit slow, but surely I get something!

Thank you David,
So is this a "known" walk (even little known) or something you can simply "visualize" on a map? Is it a Camino trail? Does it have a description/name or do you have the start/end town names? Have you searched for that map name on Google My Maps?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I might just set up a Pilgrim rental program in St Jean Pied de Port, with the drop-off location being at Roncesvalles. Story: HERE
I will be starting my camino Frances near September 1st. Will i need to bring an insulated light puffy coat?
I love my hiking shoes.. but they are not water proof. I would love to hear some opinions on what to do if it rains. I will be doing the CF in september. Im trying to pack as light as possible.
I'm walking a 30-day pilgrimage in Quebec entirely on roads/bikepaths. Which shoes do you recommend?
Its beginning to look like the best solution for transporting trekking poles is to not do it. I am thinking just purchase a set in SJPDP and leave them in Santiago.
I have been trying to figure out how to make a walking map similar to those of Wise Pilgrim (little dots along the way)! The only apps I have found draw straight lines from point to point. Is it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.