• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Magnesium Tablets

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Magnesium sulfate is found in bath salts, in a gel that you can rub on your muscles, or it can be taken orally.

Some runners and cyclists take magnesium regularly saying it prevents muscle cramping. I haven't heard of a need for it on the camino.In my opinion, there is no need for it, with one exception: if you do suffer with a lot of leg cramping already, then discuss with your physician before your camino. Like anything else, it can become toxic, so care must be taken to follow instructions.

Enjoy your camino!

lynne

I thought that magnesium tablets were to help memory. I once heard a lady joke 'I forgot to take my magnesium tablets because I forgot to take my magnesium tablets'.
For cramp we were told to put a little table salt on our hand and lick it, that way you will not take too much.
The alternative might be to drink one of the rehydration sachets. Ours were getting to their 'use by' date and, after we got home from the Camino, we had cramp a couple of times which then went.
Which reminds me ...........
Tia Valeria

A selection of Camino Jewellery
From the National Institutes of Health:

"Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body and is essential to good health. Approximately 50% of total body magnesium is found in bone. The other half is found predominantly inside cells of body tissues and organs. Only 1% of magnesium is found in blood, but the body works very hard to keep blood levels of magnesium constant.

"Magnesium is needed for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, keeps heart rhythm steady, supports a healthy immune system, and keeps bones strong. Magnesium also helps regulate blood sugar levels, promotes normal blood pressure, and is known to be involved in energy metabolism and protein synthesis. There is an increased interest in the role of magnesium in preventing and managing disorders such as hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes. Dietary magnesium is absorbed in the small intestines. Magnesium is excreted through the kidneys."

Cramps can be a symptom of magnesium deficiency.

"What is the health risk of too much magnesium?
"Dietary magnesium does not pose a health risk, however pharmacologic doses of magnesium in supplements can promote adverse effects such as diarrhea and abdominal cramping. Risk of magnesium toxicity increases with kidney failure, when the kidney loses the ability to remove excess magnesium. Very large doses of magnesium-containing laxatives and antacids also have been associated with magnesium toxicity. For example, a case of hypermagnesemia after unsupervised intake of aluminum magnesia oral suspension occurred after a 16 year old girl decided to take the antacid every two hours rather than four times per day, as prescribed. Three days later, she became unresponsive and demonstrated loss of deep tendon reflex. Doctors were unable to determine her exact magnesium intake, but the young lady presented with blood levels of magnesium five times higher than normal. Therefore, it is important for medical professionals to be aware of the use of any magnesium-containing laxatives or antacids. Signs of excess magnesium can be similar to magnesium deficiency and include changes in mental status, nausea, diarrhea, appetite loss, muscle weakness, difficulty breathing, extremely low blood pressure, and irregular heartbeat."

I always get leg cramps AFTER the Camino - never during the long week's of walking it. I then take a magnesium tablet for the next few weeks after returning home and then once again for a few weeks before the next Camino. Seems to work. Anne

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all! We finished our Camino yesterday and are in town for 2 more days before onward travel. I need somewhere to get my feet checked. I've got large blisters on the balls of both feet, that...
Taking suggestions on the topic.
Had to go to the medical clinic (centro de Saude) in Pallas de Rei (blisters) they told me without health insurance they are not able to see me as they have not got the facility to charge me ...
Any experience in using Frio bags? It is going to be used for insulin pens.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.